• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your "Perfect" Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short Version

What is the nature of the setting? (Universe with other superheroes, just Batman, realistic, campy, etc.)
Just Batman to keep any dumb questions like 'Who would win in a fight' to a minimum. Setting would be animated series, noir-esque.

What are Bruce's skills, his proficiency in each, and their focus in the stories?
MAKE HIM A DETECTIVE!! He's literally called the world's greatest detective but you barely see him doing that. I also prefer stealth Batman but of course he can beat people up in a straight fight.

How clear is the division between Bruce Wayne and Batman in Bruce's psyche?
One and the same person. Ultimately wants to make Gotham a better place, just uses different methods.

What rules does Batman follow in his crusade and what his emotional response to it?
No killing of any kind. Sometimes struggles with special cases (Joker) but, again, his goals are to help more than anything.

What is Bruce's relationship to his villains like?
Always attempts to understand them, has some sort of empathy, hopefully would attempt to rehabilitate them depending on who it is. Will not hesitate to punch them in the face though.

What is Bruce's relationship to other superheroes like?
Non existent in my version, but if necessary, wants them to stay the hell away from Gotham.

Is Bruce a father?
Eventually. Batman without anyone to care about is a much worse character.

Who is part of the Batfamily, if it exists?
Alfred is essential, as is Gordon. Any variant of Robin also.

What is Bruce's character arc/development throughout the story?
Usual origin stuff minus Bruce being obsessed with his parents long into adulthood, cos I'm tired of it. Have Bruce start out his vigilante life a bit younger, a bit scrappier and very angry. But as he gets older he understands that fighting alone won't change anything and starts to change up his methods, but isn't afraid of a fight when shit gets real. I basically want a Batman who has watched The Wire.

Does Bruce have a significant other?
Yeah, male or female, whatever.

How does Bruce die? (Or how does the story end?)
He gets old and it goes to Batman Beyond of course!

Is Batman ultimately a hero or positive figure? Does he generally succeed in his mission?
I like the idea that the general populace doesn't really know who Batman is. He would be a hero but all his work and effort would go unappreciated because people simply wouldn't know he had done it.

Sephzilla

btas-05152014-130310.jpg
Done. Perfect Batman

I was gonna post this but still want to answer some questions.

1. What is the nature of the setting? (Universe with other superheroes, just Batman, realistic, campy, etc.)
2. What are Bruce's skills, his proficiency in each, and their focus in the stories?
3. How clear is the division between Bruce Wayne and Batman in Bruce's psyche?
4. What rules does Batman follow in his crusade and what his emotional response to it?
5. What is Bruce's relationship to his villains like?
6. What is Bruce's relationship to other superheroes like?
7. Is Bruce a father?
8. Who is part of the Batfamily, if it exists?
9. What is Bruce's character arc/development throughout the story?
10. Does Bruce have a significant other?
11. How does Bruce die? (Or how does the story end?)
12. Is Batman ultimately a hero or positive figure? Does he generally succeed in his mission?
1. Universe with other heroes. Gotham is pretty much the timeless version we see in TAS. Dark Deco but fashion more modernised. The odd blimp here and there.
2. Bruce is a master detective and excellent hand-to-hand combatant. He has some gadgets but mostly for traversal and analysing clues. He relies on his own skill rather than leaving everything to some sort of tech.
3. The real Bruce is in between Batman and the public millionaire persona. Sitting in the Batcave working on something or talking to the fam.
4. No killing and non excessive injuries.
5. Bruce genuinely cares for the villains and wants to help them. He believes that with the right treatment, they can have a normal life or something close.
6. Sees them as good friends but knows they don't entirely understand why he does what he does.
7. Absolutely.
8. Pretty much everyone who's currently in the fam.
9. Never really thought about this one. I suppose he goes from lonely child (barring his relationship with Alfred) to vigilante to vigilante father to retired vigilante father who helps watch over the family business. He has his major gut punches in life but always holds onto hope.
10. Selina (I ship it).
11. Natural causes with his family by his side.
12. Yes, he is definitely a hero. He successfully completed his mission in some places but not others, like most people.

Vibranium

Banned
Ok, I'll give it a serious shot, without TAS in any way.

1. Universe with other superheroes.

2. Bruce is an expert hand-to-hand, marksman, ace detective and has above-average intellect. He uses stealth where appropriate and solves crimes with his head.

3. Batman is Bruce Wayne, they are one and the same.

4. No killing, but for monsters/powerful figures Batman will use anything (Grundy, Ras, etc).

5. Bruce tries to reach out to villains and help them, even for Joker.

6. Friendly with other superheroes.

7. Yes, Damian.

8. Dick, Tim, Steph, Damian, Babs and Alfred.

9. Bruce grows to love and appreciate the people he works with. Learns new things and faces failure.

10. Yes, Selina.

11. Doesn't die or quit, he essentially becomes the next Alfred running Batman Inc.

12. A positive figure who isn't able to change every villain but is making the streets a better place.

Pau

Well, I'm not going to answer all of THAT. Sorry that you went through the trouble of writing it all out. I'm not going to be an asshole and just post a picture either though. I don't think people ever realize, even outside of this thread, how inconsiderate that is. Even if your perfect batman has been captured perfectly (which, imo, means that person must lack some serious imaginations. There can ALWAYS be improvements), they still need to add some discussion points.

One thing that has always appealed to me about Batman is that his is a tragic story, one where he is forever seeking happiness and one where he'll never get it. Because if he is happy, satisfied with his life, then something just feels off to me. If he has successfully moved on from his parents death, there is just no fundamental reason to be Batman anymore, atleast as far as his character goes for me.

This, however, doesn't mean angsty batman. It means Batman with real emotional problems that aren't stuff you look up to him for. It means you pity him a bit. But he does have moments of contentment, real connections. I don't know if I can describe it in a way that a person without depression can understand, but he just can't maintain his contentment the way other heroes can. And it's not what he spends every waking moment ruminating on either. It's just a major part of his life. But also idealism. Because one needs idealism to be Batman. So far, Synder has struck a good balance of this, with Batman having faith in people while still encountering dark shit that makes him linger on the nature of people.

His relationship with people around him should change as he goes on. Batman at the start should not have the same relationship with his villains and friends he has at the beginning. How that is would have to be fleshed out in writing, but I just want dynamics to it.

I definitely think other superheroes should exist in the world. His relationship with Superman in particular is a major cornerstone of his character.

That's all I got for now.
I had fun writing it so no worries! People just posting pictures of BTAS is expected. I am 100% aware of how obsessed and weird I am about Batman. :p

I really enjoyed reading your answer and I totally get you. I tend to want my stories to be more optimistic but I get the argument for an ultimately tragic Batman.

Izuna

Banned
It's weird, I want TV/Movie Batman to move away from the comics. Like Dark Knight, but even further away from it.

I think I prefer Batman without other superheroes.

I do think the introduction of superhumans made for a neat arc in the otherwise episodic TAS (at the beginning, there's tons of organized crime and only a handful of supervillains. By TNA, organized crime is dead and supervillains are everywhere), but I think it cheapens the more grounded villains on the show. Joker scoots by because his shtick is that he's always batting out of what should be his league, but I don't see how we're supposed to be afraid of Penguin or Riddler when Bats has Superman on his side.

Who are Bruce's top ten villains?
Who are his most dangerous villains?
How often is Bruce fighting a supervillain versus ordinary crime?
Does Bruce believe in the rehabilitation of his rogues gallery? Regular criminals? Are there exceptions?
Does Arkham have a revolving door?
Do any villains "reform"? From Bruce's actions?
Does the Joker ever die? How?

1) Joker, Penguin, Harley Quinn, Two Face, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, Riddler, etc. The usual fare.
2) Joker and Bane, I'd say.
3) Bruce is a pretty good guy, I'd say he at least hopes they can be rehabilitated.
4) No. I'd rather that if they get away, it's a "Never found the body" scenario.
5) Yes.
6) Yes, he gets shot in the chest by a BANG! flag gun by a brainwashed Robin. But then he comes back in the future and tries to blow up Gotham with a kill-sat.

Pau

1. Universe with other heroes. Gotham is pretty much the timeless version we see in TAS. Dark Deco but fashion more modernised. The odd blimp here and there.
2. Bruce is a master detective and excellent hand-to-hand combatant. He has some gadgets but mostly for traversal and analysing clues. He relies on his own skill rather than leaving everything to some sort of tech.
3. The real Bruce is in between Batman and the public millionaire persona. Sitting in the Batcave working on something or talking to the fam.
4. No killing and non excessive injuries.
5. Bruce genuinely cares for the villains and wants to help them. He believes that with the right treatment, they can have a normal life or something close.
6. Sees them as good friends but knows they don't entirely understand why he does what he does.
7. Absolutely.
8. Pretty much everyone who's currently in the fam.
9. Never really thought about this one. I suppose he goes from lonely child (barring his relationship with Alfred) to vigilante to vigilante father to retired vigilante father who helps watch over the family business. He has his major gut punches in life but always holds onto hope.
10. Selina (I ship it).
11. Natural causes with his family by his side.
12. Yes, he is definitely a hero. He successfully completed his mission in some places but not others, like most people.
These are pretty much my answers for the short version. :D

Platy

Oh ...One more thing since this is a huge unpopular opinion:

Joker should be a major villain but never a major treat. My joker is basically 70s joker. A true clown. Batman should have a hard time going full detective on him because his plans are insane ... But that instantly makes them almost no big deal compared to others. "Gives a smile to all the fish in the city's river" kind of evil plan. Harder to go all logic if your plan doesn't end with more crime, more money or more power.

Leave Hush, Bane and Hugo to be a real treat to his life.

I'm going to actually attempt to answer the long version because I'm a crazy person and i have tomorrow off from work anyway, but a more meta point is that in all reality, Batman really should be two different characters.

Because I do like Grant Morrison BatGod in the JLA, having plans intertwined with plans and being 9 steps ahead of actual gods, but I also like noir Batman who is more myth than reality, taking down muggers in Crime Alley.

But, I don't really like those being the same character at times.

Pau

I don't know enough to answer half the questions :|

It's weird even though I've mostly had all the non comics for exposure I don't feel like 100% satisfied with any of those versions. Animated is definitely closest but I don't think I cared for how they handled his sidekicks(I actually care more about dick and Barbara than Bruce from different things I've seen them in) and I don't think he should be with wonder woman. I do like that he's way more of a detective than any of the live action stuff has him.
Oh also I don't really think the idea of him being mentally ill or Bruce and batman being as split as them(I mostly remember that in the Nolan movies) often describing it is any good

Would address more questions if not on phone
Always interested to see what my friends think about Batman when I'm not steamrolling you guys with my own opinions! :p

I know nothing about batman but I hope more people provide some well-thought-out responses to the OP's questions, kinda shitty to just driveby with "the animated series heh" when someone puts a lot of effort into a thread

Pau

I'm going to actually attempt to answer the long version because I'm a crazy person and i have tomorrow off from work anyway, but a more meta point is that in all reality, Batman really should be two different characters.

Because I do like Grant Morrison BatGod in the JLA, having plans intertwined with plans and being 9 steps ahead of actual gods, but I also like noir Batman who is more myth than reality, taking down muggers in Crime Alley.

Interesting point. It's definitely a hard thing to balance. In the comics it works a bit because he's being written by so many people that he really is basically more than one character. B:TAS and Justice League dealt with it by just showing one version first and then the other. How did you feel Morrison's Batman run handled it if you read it?

99Luffy

Banned
I know nothing about batman but I hope more people provide some well-thought-out responses to the OP's questions, kinda shitty to just driveby with "the animated series heh" when someone puts a lot of effort into a thread
What if you put in the effort to answer them but no one replies to your post.

Thank god Bruce Timm and Paul Dini put in the effort for our answer.

Pau

that makes no sense, i thought Bruce wants to make it so Gotham will eventually not need a Batman anymore, and he'll be the one and only version.
If it doesn't happen while he is physically capable of fighting and his kids want to continue the legacy then I don't see how it doesn't make any sense? It's part of quite a bit of the stories too.

Xe4

Banned
Short answer to quiz: Animated Series/Justice League animated Batman will be perfect Batman for anything.

BONUS: Hamill Joker will be best villain to this Batman.

Haha, I hate when this happens, but THIS. TAS Batman is Batman; there's no two ways about it.

Timm and Dini took the very best from every era of Batman and made the most iconic mofo ever.

And then The Killing Joke happened.

We don't talk about that.
What were they thinking?

KSai

Crimson Mist Batman is my favorite. That crazy monster was such a good payoff after the duel with Dracula.

Ninjimbo

Its Batfleck; A dude so burned out on crime fighting that it has warped his views and his persona into becoming the kind of monster he wanted to destroy. He was crushed by the weight of a cruel and unjust world and then my man Clark Kent showed him the light.

Badass.

Its Batfleck; A dude so burned out on crime fighting that it has warped his views and his persona into becoming the kind of monster he wanted to destroy. He was crushed by the weight of a cruel and unjust world and then my man Clark Kent showed him the light.

Badass.

edgy as fug

BTAS Batman is best because he actually tried to help the villains change their ways.

Veelk

Banned
I had fun writing it so no worries! People just posting pictures of BTAS is expected. I am 100% aware of how obsessed and weird I am about Batman. :p

I really enjoyed reading your answer and I totally get you. I tend to want my stories to be more optimistic but I get the argument for an ultimately tragic Batman.

Thanks. I totally get that too. I feel there needs to be a balance. You have to believe in the idea that you can make a difference and that Gotham is worth fighting for to be Batman. I just feel there is something compelling about infusing both idealism and cynicism into one character and having those two things in constant struggle.

BTW, I should specify that when I said Snyder, I meant Comic book writer Scott Snyder, not movie maker Zack Snyder.

I hate Znyders' batman. He's not tragic, he's just an asshole.

Fury451

Banned
I'll bite on the short version.

What is the nature of the setting? (Universe with other superheroes, just Batman, realistic, campy, etc.)

-Batman TAS setting. Alternatively, the Arkham games, as they are essentially a more "realistic" version of TAS anyway.

What are Bruce's skills, his proficiency in each, and their focus in the stories?

-Basic Batman stuff, but with an emphasis on being a detective.

-Bruce Wayne is the mask.

What rules does Batman follow in his crusade and what his emotional response to it?

-He doesn't kill or torture, he uses psychological warfare and physically disabling tactics. He always finds a way to outhink the situation and to avoid lethal force. He does the work at enormous personal and emotional toll.

-Stoic. Occasionally sympathetic (like with Dent), and willing to rehabilitate.

-He's not socially competent when not playing the Bruce Wayne role, but eventually forms basic, albeit unique and somewhat dysfunctional relationships. I find it amusing when writers play Batman like someone who really doesn't understand social interactions with other non-criminal people, because that's what I would expect of someone like Batman. He's like Egon Spengler to me, except psychologically damaged.

Is Bruce a father?

-Used to hate this idea. Could take it or leave it now.

-Alfred, Jim Gordon, Nightwing/Dick Grayson, Batgirl or Oracle/Barbara Gordon, Tim Drake/Robin, Terry McGinnis, Damian Wayne maybe. I guess Jason Todd too, but I have very specific feelings about their dynamic.

I generally like a leaner cast, but certain characters are integral to him as a character, such as how Jason Todd's development affected him.

If I had to only pick the bare minimum though, I would say Alfred, Gordon, Dick and Babs.

-Dunno. Depends on the story. I feel like generally Batman doesn't need to develop per se.

-No. The only acceptable romances are Talia or Selina/Catwoman

-Batman Beyond

Is Batman ultimately a hero or positive figure? Does he generally succeed in his mission?

-Yes, and yes. Though I'm not much into the hero worship "he's an icon that exists beyond Bruce" angle that's been prominent lately in several mediums. Not everyone has to like him, but I think his work is positive.

Basically:

Nudull

Banned
I'll leave the long version for later on. As for the short version;

Batman with other superheroes existing, at his own little corner at first but eventually branching out with the League.

Bruce is, first and foremost, a detective (even if writers tend to forget this). His skills in asskicking, stealth and fear tactics do come in handy, though never to any lethal levels.

Both are, at their core, trying to do the right thing and making Gotham a better place. Bruce does so through his philanthropic work, keeping with the law and maintaining his good-natured attitude. Batman, on the other hand, prowls to the streets like an urban legend, taking on the criminal element head-on to protect the marginalized. In the end, they are two sides of the same coin.

Above all else, do not kill. Rehabilitation > incarceration. Everyone deserves a second chance to do the right thing, no matter how messed up they've become. After all, Bruce could've easily been in the same spot as his greatest villains were.

Bruce will always try to reach out to them, and will always be active in trying to help with their illnesses (physically and mental), whether as Bruce or as Batman. He sees reintegrating villains into society as a greater victory than simply throwing them in prison.

Bruce would be stubborn at first about opening up to the rest of the superhero community, but he'd eventually come around. His parents' murder and all the faults and insecurities it brought up in Bruce would be a sore subject to him, himself not wanting to feel vulnerable again, but deep down he needs friends. I particularly prefer him and Clark as close friends and allies, being one of his earliest and most well-known buddies outside of the Batfam...and one of the special few to get to snark at him and get away with it. :p

Is Bruce a father?
Absolutely. The Batfamily exists for a reason. As much as people like to talk about Superman and his humanity, like I've said earlier, we've seen Bruce try and reach out to people, broken down and down on their luck. Dick, Tim, Damien and others are shining examples of Bruce's dedication towards making sure people don't go through the same pain he dealt with when he lost his parents, even when things don't go perfectly in that regard (see: Jason).

Dick, Tim, Steph, Damien, Barbara, Kate, Duke, Cassandra, Lucas, Alfred, Selina, Jason (not at first, but he and Bruce eventually patch things up)

At first a loner with a lot of anger and pain locked up, but eventually learns to open up, try new things and accept his own flaws. Through friends and family, his world will end up looking a little brighter.

Sure, male or female. Of course, considering who made this thread... :p

He will grow old and pass away, but not before helping to train the generation of heroes that will succeed him. After all, Gotham needs its guardians, and there will always be a Batman.

Batman, at first a terrifying figure that everyone feared, will ultimately be remembered as a hero and a positive force on Gotham and the world. He won't be able to save every villain, or every citizen, but those whose lives were touched by the Dark Knight himself will be grateful. Even the Joker.

Fury451

Banned
As far as he sounds....mostly like Kevin Conroy.

When I read the Joker though, it's always in Mark Hammil's voice, which isn't always true for Batman for some reason.

edgy as fug

BTAS Batman is best because he actually tried to help the villains change their ways.

Yes, I liked that aspect of him there. The Clayface episodes were good for that.

House and Garden was a really good episode that showcased a good mix of that plus hesitation.

This is such an excellent point, because I usually separate them as "Solo book Batman" and "Team book Batman" in my mind- and they are often very different to me too.

Xe4

Banned
I got a few answers in, but there's so many.

Here's what I got so far:
Appearance, Personality, etc.
  1. Describe what you think Bruce should look like. Or post a picture. Live action, favorite artist rendition, anything goes. (Doesn't have to be an actor that has already portrayed him.)
    He can look like anything. That's the thing about batman. He can be black, white, have any eyes, any facial features, etc. He has to be handsome, suave (as Bruce), and intimidating (as Batman).
    Batman.jpg
  2. What is his body type?
    Batman.jpg
  3. What is the primary driving force for Bruce's crusade?
    The death of his parents. Should be obvious, I think. He wants to clear up Gotham so the same thing does not happen to others that happened to him.
  4. What's Bruce's personality like in general?
    Playboy. I firmly believe Bruce is the alter persona.
  5. How clear is the division between Bruce Wayne and Batman in Bruce's psyche? (If you want to talk about who the real persona is, this is your chance.)
    See above.
  6. How social or anti-social is Bruce?
    Social, to distract from people finding out who he is.
  7. How talkative is he? What's his speech like?
    Batman? Kevin Conroy. Bruce? Whatever a rich person sounds like.
  8. Does Bruce enjoy inflicting violence or does he see it as a necessary evil?
    Necessary Evil. If there was another way to get what he wanted he would do that.
  9. What are Bruce's flaws re: personality? His strengths?
    He puts his mission above all else.
  10. Does Bruce suffer from any mental illnesses such as depression, PTSD, OCD, etc.?
    Dunno, to be honest. I think he ignores it, mostly.
  11. Is Bruce ever suicidal? When?
    I don't think he tries to kill himself, but his missions are pretty suicidal.
  12. What does Bruce enjoy? Can he actually enjoy anything?
    He's capable of enjoyment and love, yes. He just doesn't prioritise it.
  13. What does Bruce's character arc look like? Does he have one?
    Not in particular. His parents need to die too.
  14. Is Bruce a tragic figure? Can he have a happy ending?
    Yes, he's a tragic character. And he doesn't really have an ending.
  15. Is Bruce ultimately a hero or not?
    Of course, but just one of many. Gordon is every bit as much a hero, for instance.
Skills
  1. What are Bruce's skills and how proficient is he in each?
    Prep time. He's a fantastic detective, and has crazy plot armor.
  2. What's Bruce's strongest skill?
    Prep time.
  3. How smart is Bruce?
    He's the world's greatest detective.
  4. Does he build his own technology?
    Sometimes. He also is rich AF so he has access to some pretty dope shit.
  5. How does he rank against other superheroes in similar skills? (Fighting, intelligence, etc.)
    I can't really comment on that. It's hard to compare people in comics.
  6. Should Bruce be able to pull off something like in Tower of Babel/Justice League Doom where he can take down super-powered individuals?
    No. He's best off facing his regular enemies. Batman is best as a loner hero or with sidekicks.
The Job
  1. What rules does Batman follow?
    No kill, always try to help his enemies.
  2. How strict is Batman's no-kill rule? Does he have one?
    Pretty strict. It'd be difficult to imagine a situation where he'd break it.
  3. How does Batman feel about collateral damage?
    Doesn't like it, but it can be pretty unavoidable.
  4. Does Batman use guns? If not in general, are there any exceptions?
    No, and there may be exception but it has to follow the no kill rule.
  5. How far does Batman's violence go?
    No killing, although it's a comic, so it's a lot easier than with real life.
  6. Given that torture is ineffective, should Batman (or rather his writers) use torture? Or should Batman exist in an alternative universe where torture works for narrative purposes? Would Batman use torture even if it doesn't work?
    No torture, he's Batman, he tries to help his enemies, not hurt them.

Pau

I got a few answers in, but there's so many.

Here's what I got so far:
  1. Describe what you think Bruce should look like. Or post a picture. Live action, favorite artist rendition, anything goes. (Doesn't have to be an actor that has already portrayed him.)
    He can look like anything. That’s the thing about batman. He can be black, white, have any eyes, any facial features, etc. He has to be handsome, suave (as Bruce), and intimidating (as Batman).
    Batman.jpg
    Batman.jpg
    The death of his parents. Should be obvious, I think. He wants to clear up Gotham so the same thing does not happen to others that happened to him.
    Playboy. I firmly believe Bruce is the alter persona.
  5. How clear is the division between Bruce Wayne and Batman in Bruce's psyche? (If you want to talk about who the real persona is, this is your chance.)
    See above.
    Social, to distract from people finding out who he is.
    Batman? Kevin Conroy. Bruce? Whatever a rich person sounds like.
    Necessary Evil. If there was another way to get what he wanted he would do that.
    He puts his mission above all else.
  10. Does Bruce suffer from any mental illnesses such as depression, PTSD, OCD, etc.?
    Dunno, to be honest. I think he ignores it, mostly.
    I don’t think he tries to kill himself, but his missions are pretty suicidal.
    He’s capable of enjoyment and love, yes. He just doesn’t prioritise it.
    Not in particular. His parents need to die too.
    Yes, he’s a tragic character. And he doesn’t really have an ending.
    Of course, but just one of many. Gordon is every bit as much a hero, for instance.
Skills
    Prep time. He’s a fantastic detective, and has crazy plot armor.
    Prep time.
  3. How smart is Bruce?
    He’s the world’s greatest detective.
    Sometimes. He also is rich AF so he has access to some pretty dope shit.
  5. How does he rank against other superheroes in similar skills? (Fighting, intelligence, etc.)
    I can’t really comment on that. It’s hard to compare people in comics.
  6. Should Bruce be able to pull off something like in Tower of Babel/Justice League Doom where he can take down super-powered individuals?
    No. He’s best off facing his regular enemies. Batman is best as a loner hero or with sidekicks.
The Job
    No kill, always try to help his enemies.
    Pretty strict. It’d be difficult to imagine a situation where he’d break it.
    Doesn’t like it, but it can be pretty unavoidable.
    No, and there may be exception but it has to follow the no kill rule.
    No killing, although it’s a comic, so it’s a lot easier than with real life.
  6. Given that torture is ineffective, should Batman (or rather his writers) use torture? Or should Batman exist in an alternative universe where torture works for narrative purposes? Would Batman use torture even if it doesn't work?
    No torture, he’s Batman, he tries to help his enemies, not hurt them.
Thanks for the attempt! By driving force I meant more emotional. Is it revenge for what happened to his parents? Altruism so no one else goes through the same thing? Etc. Should have worded that better. :p

1. Tall, black hair, muscular. I really dig Affleck's look, physically, although he might be possibly a little too big in BvS.
  2. Clasically handsome; muscled
  3. MARTHA
  4. B:TAS rendition is probably the best for a long term series, he's driven to fight crime but not really an insane person. Bonds with other characters hesitantly.
  5. No distinction. Bruce pretends to be vapid and dumb sometimes in public, and he pretends to be ruthless and terrifying for criminals, but neither is really his personality.
  6. He's a loner but enjoys the company of some close friends.
  7. B:TAS voice in an ideal world. I liked the vocalizer he used in BvS.
  8. Necessary evil
  9. No.
  10. No
  11. He enjoys the detective work, the family time, and occasionally putting on a show of his bachelor status
  12. Starts out dark and brooding, chills out over time. If I was designing it I'd need to have a fixed end date, I don't like the eternal cosmic treadmill of long form comic stories so he'd need to retire at a certain point. That aspect of the Dark Knight Trilogy felt good, at least until TDKR.
  13. Happy endings and more tragic ones both work for the Batman story and have both been done to some extent.
  14. I guess? I prefer not to get too philosophical about the funny books.

Skills
  3. How smart is Bruce?

1. Bruce has every skill, don't be silly.
  2. His strongest skill is being written by Grant Morrison, and also punching people.
  3. In academic and scientific areas, he's a genius. More normal in other areas.
  4. He builds some of his own technology, but collaborates or outsources for a lot of it.
  5. Expert in hand to hand combat, middle-upper tier in science stuff, top tier in detective stuff although he's also a dumbass depending on if the story needs him to be.
  6. No, but it's fun when he does anyway.

The Job
  7. What type of crime does Batman deal with the most?
  8. What does Bruce do to fight crime outside of detective work and pursuing criminals?
  9. How involved is Bruce in his company?
  10. What does Bruce do outside of the Batman persona to help Gotham?
  11. What is the nature of his company?
  12. Are Batman's activities a net positive or negative for Gotham?

1. I prefer a softer no kill rule that is more like "don't kill unless necessary". Otherwise most things are fair game.
  2. Reasonably strict; he might kill if aprehending a suspect seems implausible and there is an imminent threat to somebody. He would not kill somebody who he has at his mercy unless they're an existentance is itself threatening e.g. darkseid or something crazy like that.
  3. Property damage is not a high priority to avoid. Civilian deaths are a very high priority to avoid. Incidental deaths that villains cause amongst their own henchmen or themselves is not a high priority to avert.
  4. Generally not, but has no particular problem with them except that he prefers not to kill mostly.
  5. Minimum force necessary.
  6. If Batman somehow knew that torture would be effective, then it's an acceptable tool, however writers should avoid that aspect of it in modern stories where possible.
  7. Organized crime in Gotham city proper.
  8. The Wayne business should be helping on the economic side of things, both in terms of helping the police and also helping the poor and homeless.
  9. Loosely involved.
  10. Megacorporation that has fingers in everything from arms manufacturing to software to chemicals.
  11. In comic book limbo, its net neutral. In a proper story arc, they should go through stages of getting better, then having a criminal backlash, then Batman changing his tactics to be a softer approach and in the long term things improving through means other than punching people.

The Villains
  1. Who are Bruce's top ten villains?
  2. Who are his most dangerous villains?
  3. How often is Bruce fighting a supervillain versus ordinary crime?
  4. Does Bruce believe in the rehabilitation of his rogues gallery? Regular criminals? Are there exceptions?
  5. Does Arkham have a revolving door?
  6. Do any villains "reform"? From Bruce's actions?
  7. Does the Joker ever die? How?

1. [/QUOTE]
    1. The Joker, Two Face, Some incarnations of Mr Freeze, Catomwan, Bane, Ra'as / Talia, Scarecrow, and of course Kite Man. Is that 10? I don't know!
    2. Depeneds on the story. In some cases, like Darkseid or Bat-Mite theoretically. More regular villains, Joker is the number one in most stories, or Bane.
    3. In comicsland, he's constantly fighting villains. If it was being set up as a single long form story, those supervillains would mostly not exist and only occasionally appear.
    4. He does believe in rehabilitation.
    5. No it does not have a revolving door
    6. Some do, Joker never does.
    7. The Joker dies of overuse in stories at age 5000
The Setting
  1. What tone do you prefer?
  2. Does Batman exist in a universe with other superheroes (such as Superman) or is he the only one?
  3. If Batman exists within the DC universe, how detached is Gotham from it?
  4. Do you prefer Batman to be set in a particular time period?
  5. How supernatural is the setting? How technologically advanced?
  6. Is Gotham the universe's New York City? Where is it located?

1. For cinematic appearances, the TDK trilogy is the best so far. B:TAS is sometimes good but also sometimes too silly and light.
  2. I think Batman as a story works best in isolation from the broader DC universe.
  3. Modern day is fine. The anachronistic Burtonverse or BTAS universe are interesting but I'm not married to it.
  4. No supernatural things, modern technology with minimal exaggerations is my preference.
  5. I basically imagine it's a replacement for NYC, yeah.

Early Life/Childhood
  1. Does Bruce experience anything related to bats like in the Nolan films?
  2. How early does Alfred start working for the Waynes?
  3. What's Bruce's personality as a child like?
  4. Does Bruce meet or form relationships with any characters that will end up being important later in his life? (Ex: Tommy who becomes Hush, The Penguin in the Telltale games, etc.)
  5. Is Bruce already obsessed with heroes? (Zorro, The Gray Ghost, Green Lantern [Alan Scott]?)
  6. What's Bruce's relationship with his parents like? (Thomas, Martha, and Alfred?)
  7. What's Bruce's schooling like? Before the murders? After?
  8. Were Thomas and Martha involved in anything shady?
  9. Does Bruce have a relationship with his grandparents?
  10. What movie does the family watch before the murders?
  11. Are the murders just a random mugging? An assassination?
  12. Does Jim Gordon meet him that night? Does Leslie Thompkins?

1. The Bats thing is a bit hokey, but I think it works fine
  2. I think the army buddy close to the Waynes thing works best.
  3. Curious, intelligent, cynical
  4. NOPE
  5. Nope
  6. Stable family life with no major problems except that parents are sometimes a bit busy
  7. Private school upbringing before and after.
  8. Nope
  9. Nope
  10. Zorro
  11. Random mugging
  12. Jim Gordon meets him straight after. I'll take who is Leslie Thompkins for 500, alex.

After the Murders
  1. How early does Bruce decide he wants to be a superhero?
  2. What is his training regiment like before he leaves Gotham?
  3. How early does he tell Alfred?
  4. Does he go to college? If so, where and what does he study?
  5. At what age does he leave Gotham to go on his training world tour?
  6. What does he learn and who are his mentors?

1. In his teens.
  2. Martial arts and elite schooling mainly.
  3. Late teens, after he's started down that path.
  4. No idea what college he goes to. Bludhaven maybe, idk.
  5. Around ~22 he goes on his couple of years off.
  6. He learns the art of punching from Liam Neeson, obviously

Coming back to Gotham and the First Years
  1. At what age does Bruce return to Gotham? Is there some sort of catalyst for his return?
  2. How does Bruce pick a bat to be his symbol?
  3. Does Bruce attempt superheroics before becoming Batman?
  4. Does Bruce meet Selina in these attempts?
  5. How long is Bruce in town before he becomes Batman?
  6. Does he meet Andrea Beaumont? Julie Madison? Vikki Vale?
  7. Who names Batman and his stuff? (Batcave, Batmobile, etc.) Are the later named in-universe?
  8. Which of Bruce's villains appear during the the first few years of his career?
  9. What mistakes does he make?
  10. What is his relationship with the GCPD?
  11. How does he meet other non-Gotham superheroes?
  12. Is Batman a founding member of the Justice League?
  13. What is the nature of the public's knowledge of Batman?

1. ~25, when he's done
  2. Thinks it's scary. None of the dad appearing in his delusions stuff though
  3. Yes, to modest success
  4. No
  5. A year maybe
  6. Depends on the tone of the story. The Phantasm stuff might need adjusting if it's a more serious one
  7. They're not really named
  8. Mainly just crime gangs and stuff. Pre-Joker Joker might appear. Black Mask maybe.
  9. Not sure
  10. Enemy at first, then uneasy truce
  11. I prefer there to be none
  12. No
  13. Urban legend, he doesn't appear in public often or at all.

The following questions deal with Bruce's children: the Robins, Batgirls, etc. If you prefer your Batman sans a family, skip to the next section.

The Batman Family
  1. Does Batman ever get his Batfamily? How?
  2. Who is counted in the Batfamliy? In the Wayne family? (Who is legally adopted?)
  3. Does Dick become Robin? Nightwing? Red Robin? Batman?
    Some Frank Miller shit?
    At what ages?
  4. What is the nature of Bruce's relationship with Dick?
  5. Does Barbara Gordon become Batgirl? Oracle? Is The Killing Joke canon? Ages for each?
  6. What is the nature of Bruce's relationship with Babs?
  7. Do Bruce and Dick still work together as adults?
  8. Does Jason become Robin? Red Hood? Red Robin? At what ages?
  9. What is the nature of Bruce's relationship with Dick?
  10. Is Jason ever redeemed, brought back into the family, and his relationship with Bruce mended?
  11. Does Tim become Robin? Red Robin? Batman?
    Joker
  12. Does Cassandra Cain become Batgirl? Black Bat? Batwoman/Batman?
  13. Does Stephanie Brown become Spoiler? Batgirl? Robin? Nightwing?
  14. Does Helena Bertinelli become Huntress? Batwoman?
  15. Do Kathy Kane and Betty Kane become Batwoman and Batgirl?
  16. Is Damian born? Who raises him? Does he become Robin? Batman?
  17. Is Helena born? Who raises her? Does she become Robin? Huntress? Batwoman/Batman?
  18. Is Bruce Jr. born?
  19. Does Carrie Kelly become Robin? Catgirl? :/
  20. I guess I should have a question about Roy Harper?
  21. Does the "We are Robin" stuff exist?
  22. Is Kate Kane Bruce's cousin? Does she become Batwoman?
  23. What's up with Terry?
  24. Do any of the above die? Do they come back?
  25. Is Selina part of the family or a rogue?
  26. Who does Bruce consider to be the heir to the Batman title? (Can be multiple.)

1. Depends on the story. Batfamily works better in the comics, but I prefer it to be a bit less like that.
  2. Grayson would be the only one adopted per se I think.
  3. Mentor, friend, then later surrogate father.
  4. I don't mind the Batgirl -> Oracle thing but have no real strong feelings. Killing Joke is optional.
  5. Similar to Grayson.
  6. They occasionally work together if we're doing the Batfamily, but mainly have different areas of responsibility.
  7. Jason doesn't exist! If he does exist, sure why not.
  8. If we're doing everything and the kitchen sink, sure.
  9. I'll allow it
  10. Who?
  11. Maybe
  12. Who?
  13. Damian I'm not a fan of.
  14. Helena can happen.
  15. Nope
  16. No
  17. Who?
  18. What?
  19. I've gone too deep into this rabbit hole and I need to get out
  20. Terry only sometimes exist. BB was fun but not really a necessary series.
  21. Rogue, then later on reforms.
  22. Dickbats.

Relationships and Sexuality
Shipping
  1. Who is (are) Bruce's romantic soulmate(s)? (Gotham is a valid answer, I guess.)
  2. Is Bruce only into women?
  3. Does Bruce actually sleep with the women he "wines and dines" for his playboy persona?
  4. Who has Bruce fallen in love with, if anyone? Does he pursue any sort of sexual and/or romantic relationship with them?
  5. Does Bruce want a permanent relationship? Is he capable of it? If yes, with whom?
  6. Does Bruce eventually marry or get into a permanent relationship? With whom?
  7. Who is Bruce's best friend?
  8. Who does Bruce consider his friends (as opposed to family)?

Nope nope nope

Retirement and Death
  1. Does Bruce ever die (comic book fashion) and come back or temporarily retire the Batman identity? How?
  2. How does Bruce permanently die and at what age?
  3. Does the Batfamily stick with him throughout his life?
  4. How does Bruce's story end?
  5. Who replaces him?

1. Revolving door death is dumb. No opinion on whether the character needs to die.
  2. Not sure
  3. If they exist
  4. Either fading away / faking his death or just plain old retiring after being nolonger needed.
  5. No replacement

Story Arcs and Life Events
Choose up to ten story arcs or events that need to happen in Bruce's life and career as Batman.

Short Version
  1. What is the nature of the setting? (Universe with other superheroes, just Batman, realistic, campy, etc.)
  2. What are Bruce's skills, his proficiency in each, and their focus in the stories?
  4. What rules does Batman follow in his crusade and what his emotional response to it?
  7. Is Bruce a father?
  12. Is Batman ultimately a hero or positive figure? Does he generally succeed in his mission?

I'm confused

Modern. Think Chicago but with a slight dose of Gothic architecture. Other heroes exist.

A straight up ninja. No questions ask.

Batman is a laughing monster while Bruce has autism. He is a hermit to the world.

Batman's rules are quick and silent. Get shit done and get out fast.

Nonexistent. Never mix business with pleasure.

He'll text them if he's lonely but because of his autism he'd rather do things on his own.

7. Is Bruce a father?
He's a father to a Koala he names Damian.

The Batfamily is only Bizarro who, after being rejected by Superman, becomes his Robin. Tim Drake is in it but he's the spoiled rich kid who thought he could be Robin but eventually becomes Red X.

He's running a charitable organization to cure autism while struggling with his and Alfred is like his therapist and Selina is like his twin sister who was astray from the Wayne family and Bruce is trying to cure his family while dealing with his demons as Batman. Sometimes he has to feel the edge.

9. Does Bruce have a significant other?
Lana Lang. They're going steady. Lana also suffers from chronic depression so it's easier for them to relate.

10. How does Bruce die? (Or how does the story end?)
Batman dies and Bruce finds the cure for autism and also aids.

11. Is Batman ultimately a hero or positive figure? Does he generally succeed in his mission?
People look at Batman and go "whatevs". He does an ok job.

Yo, my Batman is pretty badass now that I think about it.

I'm going to try and tackle the short version, primarily because I admire the amount of time and thought you put into this. I'm someone who loves superheroes, but has a very difficult time connecting to Batman at all. I don't read and have never read comic books (which is probably why I don't have much attachment to him), have never seen TAS, Gotham, the JLA animated shows, and whose only real exposure to Batman is through the films (including Adam West), pop culture, casually watching someone play Arkham Asylum, and GAF. Sadly, you will not find a very informed opinion here.

So here goes!

Short Version
  7. Is Bruce a father?

1. I imagine Gotham as a city out of the Romantic literature genre (Shelley, Byron, etc) and just transposed into a modern day setting. Familiar to the real world - but with some slightly different rules. Words and deeds have a grander design here, and thoughts of a nobler past and the possibility of a heroic present are ever present on its citizens' minds, even if they don't always say them. Even the decay of the city takes on this aspect, and its citizens will draw symbolic meaning from the mundane. Anyone could wax poetic at any time here. The criminal element also recalls the genre, with tragic pasts, unfortunate choices, or just a grim oppression that seductively draws you in and feeds itself and turns you into its agent. Batman himself is the classic Byronic Hero in this setting.

Visually I'm imagining tall buildings like tombstones, with columns and statues. Things that lead to a stoic and contemplative atmosphere. Batman is the passion that goes against the rest of the grain of Gotham, and he should stand out from the architecture. He's not alien, but he's the fast small element working inside the larger monolith that is Gotham.

2. I'd put his detective skills first, followed by his brains, and his physical prowess last. You don't survive long in Gotham fighting crime without some smarts or some superhuman help (which Batman does not have). Bruce has to be able to identify, interpret, and assess in his job, or else he'd never stop somebody like the Riddler. The Byronic element factors in here in my mind with a thoughtfulness to match the moodiness. The reason I'd put the detective skills over brains is because all the brains in the world don't help if you can't properly observe patterns or read people or put together possible motives, and I believe Bruce would need these skills in abundance.

3. There isn't one. He is always one thing in his mind, regardless as to what others see. What that one thing is, I'm not sure, and I'm not sure he would care to put a name to it.

4. The no kill rule. Emotionally this would both weary him and steel him (that Byronic conflict!), so that as the years passed he would grow tired of it, but that continuous reinforcement would make it even harder to break. I believe he would also have a kind of Pity Rule, even if he doesn't realize this or always act on it. If a criminal, no matter how heinous, truly felt sorry, Batman could sit with them a while and eventually let them go. He wouldn't necessarily ever trust them, and he might even tell them to leave Gotham, but if someone showed true remorse and was visibly unhappy, he'd probably let them go.

5. This one's difficult for me, as I'd like to think he has different relationships with all of this villains, just like everyone has varying degrees of different relationships with people in real life. I'm not sure I'd be willing to pigeonhole him into a "me vs them" mentality, but instead I think he views them as kind of business rivals, without the frigidity that that term implies. He has goals, and they have theirs, and they work in the same "industry," but each is a fluid relationship that can change depending on the current environment. I'm afraid I don't know enough about any of them to really do a case-by-case basis, save one. The Joker to me is the opposite side of the same coin - extreme passion in a society that doesn't inspire change, but a force for evil, and not good. That difference is too great for Batman or the Joker to admire one another, but I think they recognize that equal and lonely passion in each other and will sometimes steal a moment with each other where they'll see it. A mutual sigh that expresses that weariness of having to struggle in a city that doesn't share their exuberance. Others like Gordon might share a certain amount, but Batman and the Joker are alone at the top of the mountain. The difference is that Batman believes others will eventually climb the mountain to join them in their passion for a difference city, while the Joker thinks he and Batman are forever stuck there alone with only each other for company.

6. Difficult. I believe it would be hard for Bruce to feel truly at home with other superheroes, and for other superheroes to truly feel comfortable around Bruce. They get along, but there's a distance there that Bruce isn't really interested in crossing.

7. I don't know, but I wouldn't mind it. As someone who is only familiar with the films, the lack of familial relationships that Bruce has displayed has been very disappointing, because I absolutely think he'd be the type to attract at least a makeshift family. He's too dynamic to not get people interested, and sooner or later others would attach themselves to him. He's not really the type to drive others away (unlike say, Tony Stark) either, so the fact that the films don't really get into this frustrates me. When he does have these relationships, I've never found them to be written in a satisfying way.

8. Whoops ended up answering this one too. I don't know specifics, but he's got to have more than Alfred.

9. I see him as going from a lone dark knight on a one-man mission to eventually drawing other people to him and forming a family (see number 7), and realizing that he was actually a family man all along, with the twist of having an interesting job.

10. I could see him having a SO. It would have to be one hell of a woman though, as I imagine women throw themselves at Bruce Wayne all of the time for the money factor alone, nevermind his looks or his brains or his company's position. He's probably gone a little numb to all of the female attention he's been given over time. A woman would have to break through that first before a real relationship could begin.

11. A Byronic Hero ends in death, or revolution. I guess the answer would depend on if you're an optimist or a pessimist in that frame. I'm not sure if he could revitalize all of Gotham by himself, but I think he could at least inspire enough people to continue fighting for change if he does go. He wouldn't be able to retire until the Joker would be dealt with, though. Other villains could be handled by other people, but Batman wouldn't want to leave the Joker alone "on top of the mountain," so to speak. The balance of power could tip too far in the wrong direction.

12. I would say yes, he's ultimately a positive figure. I'd say his mission is to try and save Gotham, and as to how that would go I'd point to my previous answer.

McNum

I am not qualified to tackle the long version as while I may like Batman, I don't even understand half of the questions asked there. I can do the short version, though.

I would like Batman to share his world with other superheroes. Mostly because Superman and Batman work so well as each other's shadow archetypes. Individually they're pretty good, but put them in a world together and see how two people that different can not only be on the same side, but actually trust each other is a boon to both characters.

Other than that, I am thinking 'malleable' is the key word. Batman is a very versatile character, and there needs to be room for the Joker to be camp, Freeze to be tragic alongside more realistic criminal issues like the mob or corrupt cops.

Bruce should straight up be the best detective. I'd say that, tactics, and logistics. Batman is the guy who when he enters a room immediately knows where all the exits are, how many hostiles and potential hostiles there are, and any and all little details that can give him an advantage.

Batman wins, then fights. In that order. Prep time is such an overused meme, but it fits. If Batman has you figured out, you lose. All of his other abilities, stealth, fear, gadgets are because they give him the most tactical options he can get.

I don't really think there should be all that much. The only interesting question should be what he calls himself in his mind.

Batman wants to make himself obsolete. A Gotham without Batman is his endgame. But he's aware that there's always a new threat around the corner, so while he would like to hang up the cowl as soon as possible, he will keep going until he's absolutely sure Gotham can do without him.

Compassionate. Batman recognizes himself as a broken man and sees shadows of himself in his rogue's gallery. He will stop them when they try to hurt others, but he will try to help them if they'll let him. They may agitate him, anger him, but he'll never quit on trying to help. If Batman showed up and the Joker was actually feeling down, he'd ask what was wrong. Which would probably make the Joker laugh hysterically because it's big old scary Bats asking if he's okay.

In a weird way, Batman wants to be their friend.

Depends on the superhero in question. I'd imagine he respects most of them for doing what they do, but prefers to be left alone with Gotham. I'd say most of them would be professional acquaintances. Everyone knows Batman and Batman knows everyone. The people he trust in that group can be counted on one hand, though.

7. Is Bruce a father?
Ehh, can go either way on that. Not really a core element of Batman to me.

Alfred, Nightwing, Robin, Batgirl. And anyone who's held any of those ttles before. Not entirely sure if Catwoman should be part of the family. Probably more a family friend, if Batman or any of his need help, she'll do it, but otherwise she's on her own.

Learning to trust others. Batman should start out solitary, except for Alfred, but pick up allies along the way. Robin. Another Robin. Gordon. Superman. Batgirl. If you're on that list, Batman implicitly trusts you. But he doublechecks everyone else. His core conflict is his own paranoia getting in the way of him helping people, especially those close to him. Which includes his villains.

He's married to the job. Though that doesn't mean he can't have a few affairs, but he's too busy to deal with a committed relationship.

I like Batman Beyond's take. Batman eventually retires because he can't keep up anymore. He'll resent that fiercely since Gotham STILL needs Batman until someone breaks through his paranoia enough to make hims say "...but I can trust someone else to be Batman!" The story then becomes about Batman's successor who may or may not be Terry McGinnis.

Batman can't succeed in his mission. And he knows it. Gotham will always need a Batman. But that's also the flipside. Gotham needs Batman, and as long as he's there, Gotham actually does fairly okay. Sure there's the occasional supervillain attack, but that's handled. The police are happy that they can offload stuff like that to a pro, and focus on crowd control.

Overall Batman is a force for good. He doesn't inspire others to be their best. That's Superman's job. He helps people who are at their worst instead. Even if that means a Batarang to the face and a trip to Arkham. Or just sitting down and having a talk with them. That page from Allstar Superman where he talks to a suicidal teen? Put Batman there instead of Superman and it plays out pretty much the same way. Batman understands broken people. Probably much better than any member of the Justice League.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom