• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your preferred way to stream content on your TV?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
there's also a recent setting to color correct in the apple tv itself that you set up with phone camera which may slightly improve things but as Vincent Teo has shown is not really accurate

edit: and does Amazon even support Dolby Vision? I thought their content was HDR10+. I haven't looked into it in a while but definitely doesn't turn it on for the shows I watched a few months ago

edit: seems like they're conceding, so some new stuff has DV, but a lot of older stuff doesn't
When I was setting up Apple TV in the beginning and it asked me to switch to DV since it detected my TV supports it, I noticed once it switched the screen got dimmer. But I don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing because the colors might be more accurate... or something. I honestly don't know what defines "great picture quality" but I know I generally prefer brighter. I'll see if I switch back to HDR10 if it does anything.

CloudNull

Banned
Smart TV on a good TV. Bad TVs with apps are the worst. Apple TV sometimes because HBO hates everyone except Samsung.

My living room tv is new enough that the built in apps work perfectly.
Shit I thought I was going to be the only one. The apps in new TVs seem to work fine alhtough I wonder if tech designed specifically for streaming sticks might have a more consistent bitrate. I have yet to do the research so I stick with the built in apps.

Ballthyrm

I got a TV Box from Free (my French ISP) which is a glorified Chromecast + 250 Satellites Channels.
I can use all the basic google store apps, Plex, Youtube, Twitch, Netfflix, PrimeVideo, etc.

test-freebox-pop-00006.jpg

It supports up to 5 Gb/s Wifi so no problem streaming in 4K.
It even got cloud save up to 100 G.

reksveks

Got the OG Shield TV, want to get the new one but going to wait and see if they have a new revision around the Switch Pro release.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I have an NVIDIA Shield Pro connected to my TV.

Main apps used on the Shield are Plex, Netflix and Youtube (use a special side loaded Youtube with no ads etc).

Have a headless server upstairs with all local files for Plex. Streams to the Shield Pro via Ethernet cable.

Last edited:
Torrents for a wide selection of shows and movies. I have a long ass hdmi cable connected to my tv for watching said content.

hollams

Gold Member
Nvidia Shield Pro is about perfect. Has all the streaming apps and is my Plex server. It upscales non-4K content which works very well. Also very portable so if you need to take it on vacation or to another house it's a breeze to setup.

20cent

Banned
Plex from the NAS/Netflix via my PC if it's on or the PS4.
My Sony TV is 6 or 7 years old so of course the native apps are laggy/discontinued...

Fraludio

Neo Member
Apple TV 4K.

Give those nice 24p automatically in all streaming apps. No other streaming box can match that.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Nvidia Shield

its has DLSS type upscaling for non 4K media
Nah the Upscaling is nothing like DLSS. It’s more just like normal upscaling but with a sharpening filter over the top. Looks bad IMO. I bought one and returned it because of how bad the plex server was and how useless and overhyped the upscaling was.

On the topic, I use an Apple TV 4K on one tv and a chromecast with android tv on the other. Nothing beats the Apple TV IMO.

Relativ9

64TB server, decent GPU for encoding, and Plex app on the smart TV. Just decided on it last year when in lockdown, no fucking way I'm paying for 3-4 different streaming services. And while my library is still relatively small (only used 8tb for now) Im running Chia (crypto farming) plots in the rest of the capacity. I also run a couple of valheim servers on it, backup everything from work stuff as well as personal photos, and am thinking of setting up my own email and webhost server for my company.

Rickyiez

Xiaomi TV box here and it's great. Apps like Netflix and YouTube runs great, any video format played easily using MX player off USB drives and stream 4k from Plex effortlessly.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I use the antive apps from my TV.

I used to have an Nvidia Shield but it stopped working a little after the warranty expired. I thought to get a media box later on but none really had caught my attention.

Netflix, Youtube and Amazon work mostly fine. HBO Max sucks but I'm putting up with it.

I don't want to put hours on my consoles using something I can get done in some other way. The longer I can keep them the better.

Top Bottom