• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your thoughts about Nintendo Switch so far?

RealGassy

Banned
No gaems.
Nothing worth playing has come out since Nov of 2019 as far as I can tell.

Unless you're into waiting simulator/chore game/tamagochi mixture that is Animal Crossing, there's hardly anything worth playing in the last 5-6 months or so.
But this is typical for Switch by now, couple of good games come out, and then nothing for 6 months or more.

Moogle11

Banned
I'm sure animal crossing played a part, sure. But mostly I think it's just that people who aren't regular gamers equate Nintendo with video games and don't even really consider Sony or Microsoft. And there's nothing wrong with that, lord knows Nintendo has earned that reputation over the years and they're the kings of nostalgia.

I think people who are just now looking to jump into a console reflexively look for the newest Nintendo thing, because the last console they owned was the Wii, and before that it was probably an N64 or SNES.

"What system has the new Mario Kart?"

That’s definitely part of it as well. But the hybrid (or portable only with the Lite) is for sure a big draw of it for a lot of more casual gamers and parents buying for their kids though. Lot of homes have more people than TVs so being able to game with out hoarding one is appealing.

Also to your point, it’s not just brand recognition from nostalgic gamers, but that Nintendo is the family friendly brand. For parents who don’t want their young kids playing things like GTA and other violent games, even if they aren’t nostalgic for Nintendo they’re going to see Nintendo’s marketing focused on Mario, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, families having fun playing Mario Kart and so on and be drawn to that over PS or Xbox when trying to find something else to occupy their kids‘ time during quarantine.

Kids/families, portable gamers and people like me who have loved their games since we were kids are Nintendo's core base and they do a great job of catering to it and marketing to it. So the uptick in sales is all we’ve both said. AC moving hardware, nostalgic people getting back into gaming during quarantine with what they know best from their past, people needing to share TVs and parents preferring Nintendo‘s family friendly games for their kids. And of course that their supply chain got interrupted.

Mr Hyde

This is literally a rant thread just because the Switch is selling well, but not justifiably so according to some.

This happens with every Switch-thread here. They keep getting hijacked by the same losers who is itching to regurgitate their worthless hot takes over and over again. It's always the same complaints too. Still, I'm surprised to see the amount of positive voices here around the consoles in this thread, usually the entire thread is just a big ol dumpster fire right from the start. No point in engaging.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This is literally a rant thread just because the Switch is selling well, but not justifiably so according to some.
Like I said before, some people just down right angry for Switch selling so well for some weird reason. I guess they expected/wanted Switch to flop and they currently pissed because it didn't.

What can you do? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
No gaems.
Nothing worth playing has come out since Nov of 2019 as far as I can tell.

Unless you're into waiting simulator/chore game/tamagochi mixture that is Animal Crossing, there's hardly anything worth playing in the last 5-6 months or so.
But this is typical for Switch by now, couple of good games come out, and then nothing for 6 months or more.

I hate it when a system doesn't produce any gaems.

Zannegan

This happens with every Switch-thread here. They keep getting hijacked by the same losers who is itching to regurgitate their worthless hot takes over and over again. It's always the same complaints too. Still, I'm surprised to see the amount of positive voices here around the consoles in this thread, usually the entire thread is just a big ol dumpster fire right from the start. No point in engaging.
To be fair, it started with the OP this time, so it's hard to call it hijacking the thread.

Saruhashi

Banned
Like I said before, some people just down right angry for Switch selling so well for some weird reason. I guess they expected/wanted Switch to flop and they currently pissed because it didn't.

What can you do? 🤷‍♂️

Maybe it's down to people having an idea of what "real" gaming is and feeling like the Switch goes against that?

"There are no games". Obviously this is nonsense. Switch has a ton of awesome games buuuuut many of them are indie games that are available elsewhere or ports of old games. So maybe they mean "no exclusive games". This is also nonsense since there are a ton of good Nintendo exclusives. These are very often not MY cup of tea but they still exist.

"Only kiddy games". Again, complete tripe. Over this lockdown I've been playing through Blasphemous, Valfaris and Blazing Chrome while also revisiting Dark Souls, Diablo 3, The Witcher 3 and Dead Cells. These are the "kiddy games" people are on about? Nintendo offers kid friendly games. I don't think anyone had denied that? Are those the only games on the system?

You can realistically only make these arguments if you think "indies and ports don't count" and your idea of gaming is ONLY playing a photorealistic experience on the best hardware and the game must have violence and other adult themes.

One of our local cinemas, when they were still open before coivd-19, always had events where they'd show old movies and they'd always be running indie movies that wouldn't get much publicity at the bigger franchise theaters. They seem to do really well because a lot of people really love that nostalgia factor or finding a hidden indie gem away from the deluge of blockbusters. They only have 4 smaller screens and there's no IMAX or anything like that. Yet, I have never once heard people moaning that they only show old movies or that they only sell tickets based on nostalgia. Or that the screens are not IMAX and they don't do 3D etc. Never.

Only in the gaming community could a publisher/manufacturer offer a nostalgic experience bolstered by indie gems and some bigger games from the past, with a "handheld" twist, and people moan because it doesn't line up with their EXACT idea of what gaming should be.

I get that people think anything and everything should be open to criticism but some criticisms are honestly a bit shite.
"It's too expensive" isn't a valid criticism since it is entirely subjective people will pay if they think it's worth it.
"There's no games" is flat out wrong.
"There's only ports and indies" is at least semi-factual but then I would just ask "so what?" Maybe I want to play some of those games? Maybe I'd enjoy playing them in a portable format?

Look at the current nonsense between Sony and Microsoft that is basically ruining the forum at the moment.
It's all about arguing over who has the most power. As if this is the ONLY aspect of gaming that really matters.
OMG your console has 7000 graphics but the power level of MY console is over 9000!
There's a very strange insecurity there.
If I love Halo and Gears then I am going to want an XBox.
Does it really matter if PS is more powerful when I am playing the games I specifically want to play?
Or when I am finally playing Spider-Man 2 on my PS5 do I get a smug feeling because my console is running with more power than crummy Microsoft?
It is beyond stupid.

It made no sense in the SNES vs Genesis years and it makes even less sense now.

For sure the next gen will have amazing games. Just like every generation before it.
I mean, if you like videogames then for sure you are going to like more videogames.

It's just daft to have a very narrow and single minded concept of what gaming is supposed to be.
More options is good and a console that offers a lot of flexibility in the format, the games available and the ways you can play those games (couch co-op etc) is a pretty good option.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Maybe it's down to people having an idea of what "real" gaming is and feeling like the Switch goes against that?

"There are no games". Obviously this is nonsense. Switch has a ton of awesome games buuuuut many of them are indie games that are available elsewhere or ports of old games. So maybe they mean "no exclusive games". This is also nonsense since there are a ton of good Nintendo exclusives. These are very often not MY cup of tea but they still exist.

"Only kiddy games". Again, complete tripe. Over this lockdown I've been playing through Blasphemous, Valfaris and Blazing Chrome while also revisiting Dark Souls, Diablo 3, The Witcher 3 and Dead Cells. These are the "kiddy games" people are on about? Nintendo offers kid friendly games. I don't think anyone had denied that? Are those the only games on the system?

You can realistically only make these arguments if you think "indies and ports don't count" and your idea of gaming is ONLY playing a photorealistic experience on the best hardware and the game must have violence and other adult themes.

One of our local cinemas, when they were still open before coivd-19, always had events where they'd show old movies and they'd always be running indie movies that wouldn't get much publicity at the bigger franchise theaters. They seem to do really well because a lot of people really love that nostalgia factor or finding a hidden indie gem away from the deluge of blockbusters. They only have 4 smaller screens and there's no IMAX or anything like that. Yet, I have never once heard people moaning that they only show old movies or that they only sell tickets based on nostalgia. Or that the screens are not IMAX and they don't do 3D etc. Never.

Only in the gaming community could a publisher/manufacturer offer a nostalgic experience bolstered by indie gems and some bigger games from the past, with a "handheld" twist, and people moan because it doesn't line up with their EXACT idea of what gaming should be.

I get that people think anything and everything should be open to criticism but some criticisms are honestly a bit shite.
"It's too expensive" isn't a valid criticism since it is entirely subjective people will pay if they think it's worth it.
"There's no games" is flat out wrong.
"There's only ports and indies" is at least semi-factual but then I would just ask "so what?" Maybe I want to play some of those games? Maybe I'd enjoy playing them in a portable format?

Look at the current nonsense between Sony and Microsoft that is basically ruining the forum at the moment.
It's all about arguing over who has the most power. As if this is the ONLY aspect of gaming that really matters.
OMG your console has 7000 graphics but the power level of MY console is over 9000!
There's a very strange insecurity there.
If I love Halo and Gears then I am going to want an XBox.
Does it really matter if PS is more powerful when I am playing the games I specifically want to play?
Or when I am finally playing Spider-Man 2 on my PS5 do I get a smug feeling because my console is running with more power than crummy Microsoft?
It is beyond stupid.

It made no sense in the SNES vs Genesis years and it makes even less sense now.

For sure the next gen will have amazing games. Just like every generation before it.
I mean, if you like videogames then for sure you are going to like more videogames.

It's just daft to have a very narrow and single minded concept of what gaming is supposed to be.
More options is good and a console that offers a lot of flexibility in the format, the games available and the ways you can play those games (couch co-op etc) is a pretty good option.
Take good look at Neogaf as a whole, you will notice that almost 80% of the topics here is about “Graphics“! Unfortunately we have too many people in Neogaf who value “graphics” above everything else, in their mind if it doesn’t meet their standards in graphics then it not a real game regardless the gameplay and design. So the entire idea of under power console is selling well just pissed them right off.

Saruhashi

Banned
Take good look at Neogaf as a whole, you will notice that almost 80% of the topics here is about “Graphics“! Unfortunately we have too many people in Neogaf who value “graphics” above everything else, in their mind if it doesn’t meet their standards in graphics then it not a real game regardless the gameplay and design. So the entire idea of under power console is selling well just pissed them right off.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think RDR2, Horizon and God of War are utterly amazing looking games.
However not one of these games can hold a candle to Dead Cells or Darkest Dungeon, in my opinion.

There is a difference between the cutting edge of what can be done in a technical and technological sense and the cutting edge of game design.

I think it's interesting too that there was not too much criticism over Resident Evil 2 remake or FFVII remake because of the very dramatic graphical overhaul. Ports and remakes of old games are fine so long as the graphics are good.

At the end of the day, if you are playing games you like then you are doing it right.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
To be fair, it started with the OP this time, so it's hard to call it hijacking the thread.

Hey hi :)

It was not the purposes of the thread. I really should have pointed what I like about it also. It's a nice little system. its cons for me though are more numerous than its pros and I only wish for Nintendo to adresses them as there seems to be tons of consumers quite bitter about their full silent deaf way of ignoring us. By us, I mean everyone who expected barebone tablet capabilities, anyone that bought second or third pair of joy cons because of drifting, unnavigable eshop, scratching screen from normal uses.

399$CAN hard earned money for this fragile and poorly supported Nintendo console is the reason why I made this thread.

NahaNago

my biggest issue was always the lack of games from Nintendo, but this has become the norm now. I haven't had the drifting issue and I don't really take it out for it to get scratched. It being a weak tablet makes sense since that is what I expect from a handheld. I just hope with the next version they can somehow increase the strength significantly when not in handheld mode.

Last edited:

rykomatsu

Love it -

Before the pandemic, I used to travel a lot. Having a unique form factor of the unit being a home console, but being able to pick it up and take it with me is a huge plus. Removable joycons makes cramped transoceanic flights on economy more tolerable since I'm not locked into a single position. Couple that with a small adjustable stand and I can game for quite a few hours, whereas with the vita I just started getting uncomfortable after 30-40min.

Downside of no bluetooth headphone support, but a cheap $20 slim device fixes that.

Primary use case is during travel, so I don't need a huge number of games - my PS4 is for that. As long as I have something of interest here and there, I can keep myself occupied in the air with the Switch.

Last edited:
Eh...it's not very good. As a portable, it really isn't good. I find myself only playing docked, and the lack of power is very apparent.

The only great game on it is BOTW IMHO. Been gathering dust ever since. Mario Odyssey was probably one of the most disappointing games ever.

Last edited:
Its my quarantine Ring Fit machine. Haven't played another game on it for months (because I can't be bothered taking the joycons out).

Type_Raver

Hi everyone,

So we've been having the system for 3 years now and as a whole I wanted to know what was your thoughts about it so far!

We have been liking Nintendo for its unusual approach to the industry by bringing us quirky game, features that no other has, easy of use system, unsurpassed 1st party titles and promises of premium quality product quality seals! That's something right!?

Compare the Switch to the previous console. Do you feel like you are given the same high standard? Timeless classic titles, reimagination of their success for the best.

For my part , I think Switch is the cheapest way Nintendo could have been. Lazy port at full price, paid multiplayer, non existent option for friend list discussion, barren console capability, worst eshop ever, EVER. Very limited and boring first party releases, low default storage, cheap joy cons sells for an hundred dollar. I could go on how bad the Nintendo system is comparing to previous system.

What the fuck happened to Nintendo?

Where is Wario, Star Fox, Kid Ikarus, Metroid, F Zero..... etc

I miss the old Nintendo

I agree with you in varying degrees, but one some things I dont.

AGREE
- miss them being in the power wars, seeing their products in modern high fidelity
- franchises are missing in action as you have mentioned
- Rare no longer with Nintendo
- Moving away from traditional territories (blue ocean business model), running in parallel with current gen but with offset hardware performance
- Weak online, greater than a generation behind the competition

DISAGREE:
- Still producing a very diverse, high quality line up of games
- Innovating (Hybrid console, joycons) but not in the way us traditional Nintendo fans want to see.

In short, i think Microsoft muscled their way in and shouldered out Nintendo by outspending them and delivering a predicable & desirable console; the original XBOX.
Nintendo were so focused on protecting their IP that they carved themselves out of the running (proprietary mini dvd's, limiting storage space, and even sticking with carts the generation before when others moved on), which caused 3rd parties to fall away. Gamecube and its design were childish compared to the masculine brute that was the XBOX.

Zannegan

Hey hi :)

It was not the purposes of the thread. I really should have pointed what I like about it also. It's a nice little system. its cons for me though are more numerous than its pros and I only wish for Nintendo to adresses them as there seems to be tons of consumers quite bitter about their full silent deaf way of ignoring us. By us, I mean everyone who expected barebone tablet capabilities, anyone that bought second or third pair of joy cons because of drifting, unnavigable eshop, scratching screen from normal uses.

399$CAN hard earned money for this fragile and poorly supported Nintendo console is the reason why I made this thread.
Sorry, wasn't a shot at you. Just noting that the tone of this thread didn't start positive, so it's not like the negative takes are out of place. That's not necessarily a bad thing either.

bRacing

Banned
Not a huge fan of the hardware, but they continue to make the best exclusives and it isnt close. But thanks to the power disparity, I'll always need a PS or Xbox to play third party games on.

i follow news closely, and enjoy watching all the Nintendo Direct showcases. I'm a massive Nintendo fan, but i'm just not sold on the console yet. As a Wii U owner with a copy of Breath of the WIld, i came pretty dangerously close to buying it for Mario Odyssey, however, i didn't bite. This console will be a late acquisition for me, and i'm holding out for a Pro Model due to the flimsy-ass build quality and joy con drift issues with the standard edition.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Switch is FAIL

-Its too big for a handheld
-too close in power to the wii u (underpowered even for 2017 w/ maxwell)
-best games mostly wii u ports
-emulators already exist
-original model looks like an ugly prototype (prob cause it is)
-No D-pad, shiity buttons certain types of games are borderline unplayable
-Joycon drift problem
-switch dock can fuck the screen up
-essentially just a NVIDIA shield
-switch screen lottery aka the launch screens were good, most of the current ones are trash
-Tabletop mode sucks 99.9% of the time and you cannot charge in that mode (beat the clock)
-The battery life SUCKS vita had eternal life
-the future game lineup looks bleak at best (mario collection...after that wii u ports had dried out)
-I do like that you can put android on it but Nintendo revised the hardware so you can't on newer models because they fucking suck

Last edited:
My thoughts are....

I want to buy one with my Corona Cash but can't find any for sale and online sellers are price gouging. fml.

My thoughts are....

I want to buy one with my Corona Cash but can't find any for sale and online sellers are price gouging. fml.
what's so wrong about Switch Lite? There are some of those available. I can understand wanting to play on T.V., but it seems like a better buy to me than a Switch OG @ 300, if you are primarily a gamer that will use the mobile asset and willing to overlook possibly being stuck with joycon drift.

what's so wrong about Switch Lite? There are some of those available. I can understand wanting to play on T.V., but it seems like a better buy to me than a Switch OG @ 300, if you are primarily a gamer that will use the mobile asset and willing to overlook possibly being stuck with joycon drift.
Already took a look and I'd rather have the full beast. Plus I didn't even know at least some games don't support handheld mode.

^^^ah, yes, that's right. I forgot i can't exactly play games like ARMS on the Lite model. Obscure opinion here, but that's one of the games i look to purchase. I've always enjoyed well-done motion controls, and Skyward Sword was one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences i had 2 generations ago.

It is the worst designed Nintendo system with its joy con drift, lack of features and flimsy weak design. That being said its my favorite Nintendo system as I can play current and last gen games on the go.

Top Bottom