• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your top 10 TURN BASED games

anab0lic36

For those of you who love turn based games, what do you consider to be the cream of the crop of the ones you have had the pleasure of playing?

My current top 10:

1) Tactics ogre: Let us cling together (PSP Ver)
2) Slay the spire
3) Civ 4
4) Final Fantasy tactics
5) Xcom 2
6) Final Fantasy 6
7) Chrono Trigger
8) Advance wars
9) Into the breach
10) Mario and Rabbids

Over the past few years I've been buying Turn based games that look interesting to me (usually when on sale) with intentions of playing them some day... when I eventually have enough free time. Below are the ones in backlog that could perhaps make my top 10 depending on how much I enjoy them.

SMT series
Divinity OS
Phoenix point (next on the playlist)
Wasteland 2/3
Battle brothers
Monster Train
Spy inc
Fae tactics
Fantasy General
Monster Sanctuary
The last spell
Othercide
Solasta crown of the magister
Troubleshooter: abandoned children
Pathfinder w/ turn based mode enabled
Darkest Dungeon
Gloomhaven
Steam world heist

Yeah... I have more money than free time. :(

Ezquimacore

Banned
1.Persona 5
2.Persona 5
3.Persona 5
4 Persona 5
5.Persona 5
6. Parasite Eve
7. Parasite Eve
8. Parasite Eve
9. Parasite Eve
10. Parasite Eve

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
  1. SMT games
  2. Other JRPGs
  3. Heroes of Might & Magic 3
  4. Civ 3
  5. Worms World Party or Armaggedon
  6. XCOM
  7. Silent Storm
  8. Divinity OS games
  9. Legend of Grimrock (its kinda turnbased I guess?)
Probably many more that I don't remember, but don't want to put a lot of JRPGs there cause that would fill the entire list.

anab0lic36 anab0lic36 out of those in your backlog you should really try the SMT games, kinda like a mix of Pokemon and Final Fantasy, but with more darker and adult themes, and a combat system that's engaging as all fuck. Battle Brothers is really cool too, kinda like Mount & Blade but turn based and on a smaller scale, but full of cool shit and fantasy stuff.

John Bilbo

Final Fantasy X has the best combat system of all Final Fantasies.

Darkest Dungeon is pretty good, but relies heavily on random elements. That can be seen both a positive and negative.

Jagged Alliance 2 was quite nice back in the day.

Persona 4 Golden had some nice elements.

Octopath Traveler was pretty good, but lacked complexity in the end.

MDSLKTR

220px-Jeanne_d%27Arc_Coverart.png

Goat for me

Labadal

I will post my favorite turn-based combat systems, because not all of these would be on my general top 10 turn-based list.

1. Final Fantasy Tactics
2. Underrail
3. Temple of Elemental Evil
4. Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together
5. Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children
6. Divinity: Original Sin
7. Blackguards
8. Tale of Wuxia: Pre-Sequel
9. SaGa: Scarlet Grace
10. Battle Brothers

EruditeHobo

Yeah... I have more money than free time. :(

A blessing and a curse... I feel you. ✊

I'm a FF Tactics guy -- A1 for me. The combination of the addicting combat, job system, overall art style, and the narrative story means nothing else comes close to it. This all combines to make it one of the most replayable games I've ever owned, even across decades. It really has aged remarkably well.

That said, I could stand to branch out and play some of these other highly-ranked games in this thread... again, if I had the time.

Last edited:

intbal

1. Pool of Radiance
2. Curse of the Azure Bonds
3. Disciples: Sacred Lands
4. Fallout 2
5. Fallout
6. Knights of the Old Republic
7. Combat Mission II
8. Chess
9. Checkers
10. Go

Edit: Furious with myself for not recalling one of my absolute favorites, The Temple of Elemental Evil, but no clue where I'd put it. Probably #7 and bump Combat Mission II down.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
SMT games, kinda like a mix of Pokemon and Final Fantasy, but with more darker and adult themes, and a combat system that's engaging as all fuck.
Press turn in SMT is my favourite combat system in any JRPG, they are addicting as fuck and they are super fast, even compare to some action RPGs

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All these games should be dirt cheap on Steam or GOG deals. Like $5 or less.

- Heroes of M&M series (#3 Complete Edition is the best)
- Warlords series (I played #1 to death, but it's an archaic 1990 game. #3 is best I'd say, but still really sprite based archaic)
- Wizardry #6 and #7 were solid. I couldnt finish 6 as I got stuck, finished 7
- Puzzle Quest 1. Simple game. PQ2 had better production values but they DRAGGED it out like a borefest with super long battles. Stick to #1
- Isle of Skye. The PC version is a lazy mobile port so there's lots of nit picky issues, but the core game is still sound (but there's occasional scoring bugs)
- Stockpile. A cheesy lighthearted stock market game. More luck than anything, but there's some basic risk/reward decisions to make
- Talisman Origins. This is the offline version you play against the CPU in mini quests (not the main online MP game). Gets repetitive as hell, but I got my fill. I think it $8. Got through maybe 2/3 of it and gave up on this heavily skewed fire or dragon map against the player

I see this game dirt cheap every couple months. Might get it one day.

Last edited:

P.Jack

I usually don’t play turn based games, but I’ve been addicted to Slay the Spire recently. Holy hell is it good! Might help that I’m an avid Dominion player, but I’ve got some friends hooked aswell and they don’t normally play turn based stuff either. So maybe it’s a good gateway, cause I sure as hell am looking for more.

saintjules

In no specific order:

Suikoden I
Xenogears
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Legaia
Grandia I
Breath of Fire III
Super Mario RPG

Honorable Mention:
Vandal Hearts

Last edited:

Markio128

Slay the spire is tremendous. The only recent disappointment for me was Civ 5 - I found it far too complicated for its own good. It just didn’t have the same addictive quality as previous games.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Afraid I can't contribute to the thread other than I had great first impressions with Front Mission 3 and Jeanne D'arc back in the days. But I'm grateful for all the suggestions. Maybe I'll find something here!

Mabdia

1. Chrono Cross
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Final Fantasy VI
4. Eternal Sonata
5. Disgaea
6. Batle Chasers
7. Persona 5
8. Final Fantasy IX
9. Legend of Heroes
10. Hyper Dimension Neptune Rebirth

manfestival

I love turned based combat rpg games. I especially love the strategy/tactics sub genre. Currently playing WH40 mechanicus, Yakuza Like a Dragon(man oh man this game is GOOD), and Phoenix Point.

This is hard for me to say which game is the best but I will just do a top 10 list of my favorite tactics/strategy rpgs.

1. Makai Kingdom - this isn't even the best game or even one that I can recommend to most people but I absolutely love this game
2. XCOM 2 - This is self explanatory for a bunch of reasons.... well if you know the genre that is.
3. Front Mission 1 - Played this many many moons ago and it blew me away. Played 3 and 4 as well. Which I really enjoyed.
4. Disgaea - I have played all except the latest one. The original is my favorite but I would probably rate it in order of best to worst of 1, 5, 4, 2 , 3
5. Advance Wars - Was and still is fantastic.
6. Into the Breach - Easily in the top of its class and criminally underrated.
7. Divinity Original Sin 2 - Grand game that is an exemplary example of what western rpgs can really be.
8. Final Fantasy Tactics - Always had a hard time picking this up but it is undeniable the influence and the quality that this title has.
9. Gears Tactics - The only downfall was the lack of variety in mission really. maybe the game was too short. It was so satisfying in every way.
10. Wasteland 3 - Did not expect this game to be so fun and addicting. It felt like there was the perfect amount of content for the experience.

Honorary Titles: Ring of Red, Banner Saga, Stella Deus, Shadowrun, and Mutant Year Zero
Oh and don't hate me but I never played a tactics ogre game or fire emblem. I know I know, shame on me.
Thanks for reading my long post whomever you are.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Press turn in SMT is my favourite combat system in any JRPG, they are addicting as fuck and they are super fast, even compare to some action RPGs
Yeah me too, it's the main reason I got into the series and even JRPGs in general. As naive as I was I thought all turn-based JRPGs just were "use your most powerfull magic until boss dies" and SMT games prove me wrong.

T8SC

Final Fantasy VII (1997)
Persona 4 Golden
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Hero Quest

Top 5 instead.

1. The operational art of war 4
2. Unity of command 1
3. Commander The Great War
4. Flashpoint campaign Red Storm
5. Colonization
6. Civilization 4
7. Warhammer 40 000 Regicide
8. Clash of steel
9. Strategic command WW2 World at war
10. Gary Grigsby's War in the east 1

don't look for chibi character here

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
1- Chrono Trigger
2-Chrono Trigger
3- Chrono Trigger
4- Chrono Trigger
5- Chrono Trigger
6- Pokémon
7- Pokémon
8- Pokémon
9- Pokémon
10- Pokémon

Honorable mention: Worms 2.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Top 10 Games with Turn Based gameplay system OR top 10 turn based combat system?

If its the top 10 turn based combat/gameplay system then;

- Heroes of Might and Magic 3
- Divinity Original Sin 2
- X-COM: UFO Defense/XCOM2
- Civ 4
- Slay the Spire/Into the Breach
- Final Fantasy Tactics

From what i played those are the ones that i would call top turn based combat system, pretty much all the others range from bad to decent.

Bartski

Gold Member
1. XCOM 2 War of the Chosen
2. Gears Tactics
3. The Darkest Dungeon
4. Star Renegades
5. Thronebreaker

just a reminder The Darkest dungeon 2 early access comes out next Tuesday.

Hnjohngalt

I would add Brigandine on switch and ps4 xbox
And Disgaea 1 and or 5. Also love Dominions 5 on steam. So many great games and no time..

Oh and I almost forgot to say Dragon Force Sega Saturn

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
anab0lic36 anab0lic36
I really enjoyed Into the Breach as well, but it didn't quite reach FTL level imo. Would love to see a sequel at some point, but will definitely be interested in whatever subset games makes next.

I'm optimistic for that marvel game from the XCOM devs.

Top Bottom