• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your top 3 Mario levels

FreeMufasa

There's been a lot of talk bout favourite mario games, but lets talk about specific levels here. I'm including every mario platformer both 2D and 3D. Give ur reasons and use pics if possible. Manz don't really remember the names of levels.

3. Little big world

wkIJJzw.jpg

I liked how u had 2 paintings and jumping in each resulted in different shit happening. The log climbing bit was too hard for me tho lol.

2. 1-1 super mario land

Z2Xufwh.jpg

Everyone always chattin bout how 1-1 super mario bros. is iconic but for me it's this. Never had a nes and this was my first mario game. I remember thinking "wtf, koopas don't explode?" When I played da console games haha. Still, best memory is speed running 1-1 with the 20 seconds or so of charge left.

1. bianco hills

By far my favourite mario level and one of my fav platforming levels. Sliding down that hill.....think I must have spent 30 minutes doing it first time lol. Then once I got down, running around and testing fluzz(?), dope as hell. Loved how big it was.

The first levels of the follow mario games! SMB - just wow back then
SMB3 - the first time you got to fly
SMW - the first time you rode on yoshi

All awesome new experiences, shame the Wii U didn't innovate in someway and just didnt borrowed from the 3DS SML3D

This was harder than I thought it would be. Initially my mind went to the first levels of games, but when I thought about it more, I knew those weren't actually my favourites.

- The first stage in the Giant World in Super Mario Bros 3. It's a relatively simple concept, but it still blew me away. I have since then learned that I love becoming small in video games is a thing I enjoy in general. It's a fascinating shift in perspective. Video games are so often about becoming more powerful and intimidating that this sort of thing never stops feeling like an interesting gimmick.
- The roller-coaster stage in New Super Mario Bros Wii. A pretty straight forward level, but I had an immense amount of fun with this. I played this with three other people maybe 5 times in a row, trying to get all the star coins.
- Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy from Yoshi's Island. Another gimmick stage, which is pretty well explained by its title. If you touch a Fuzzy, your screen gets all distorted and weird. It's annoying in a very cool and fun way.

Honourable mention goes out to the stage where you get the Kuribo Shoe in SMB3.

Can't narrow it down to 3 but it would be a mixture of levels from Super Mario 64 and the Galaxy games. The 2D games aren't in the same league for me personally.

SuomiDude

The first levels of the follow mario games! SMB - just wow back then
SMB3 - the first time you got to fly
SMW - the first time you rode on yoshi

All awesome new experiences, shame the Wii U didn't innovate in someway and just didnt borrowed from the 3DS SML3D
You mean New Super Mario Bros. U I think? Yeah, it was basically the same stuff again, but Mario 3D World gives Mario games a new ability to wallclimb with the cat suit, sounds like lots of fun. Also seeing what happens in the pipes, ability to shoot through the pipes etc. sounds nice. But that's not what this thread is about.

As for my picks, I'd say Super Mario Bros. 1-1 is definately my favorite, it's just timeless classic and gives tons of memories.
Mario 64 1st level. There's just something to go out and explore the game world freely, flying around with the cannon, the boss battle on top of the hill etc. Also being the first actual level in the game.

Chuckie

46407-225764-SuperMarioBros3KuriboShoeby8bitPainterjpg-noscale.jpg

SMB3 5-3: That shoe was fucking awesome. Still remember it like it was yesterday

1523777-honeyhive.jpg

SMG1 Honeyhive Galaxy: Really beautiful and so fun to be Bee Mario

screen-shot-2009-12-09-at-1-56-31-pm.png

SMW Forest of Illusion: I loved those colors :p

Hakai

3.Yoshi Star Galaxy

Yoshi_Star_Galaxy.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6OMq6Xx2W0 (to see the whole level)

It is just a beautiful level, also the first time I handled a 3D Yoshi in a way that felt awesome, pretty good level to introduce Yoshi in the series, and pretty great imaginative level.

2. Bowser's Galaxy Generator

Bowser%27s_Galaxy_Generator.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckC4NK69xHY (to see the whole level)

I love Bowser levels in Mario games, but I think this one is the best of them. It makes you use all the new power ups the game brought, and as usual in bowser stages in a very challeging and creative way.

1. Whomp's Fortress

Whomp%27s_Fortress_64.png

I love this level, just love it, it was the first Mario 64 level I saw running, and to this day that sound when Mario walks on that water area gathering coins, makes me feel happy. Aside from that, the level in itself is a big playground for platforming and it has a good variety of missions.

trixx

1. Whomps fortress
2. Noki bay
3. Smb 3 sun trying to kill you level

Too many good levels to be honest though.

Whomp's Fortress, Super Mario 64. There are so many levels in Mario 64 that mean the world to me, but this is the one, for whatever reason, that first really spoke to me about the scope of this game. It was mindblowingly expansive and open for 1996.

Giant Land, Super Mario Bros. 3. The size shift was insane back in 1990 - such a memorable level ideal.

World 1-1, Super Mario Bros. It's the original, and the blueprint for everything that followed. It was designed so meticulously, so intuitively. You pretty much learned the game from that level's design. You will always remember what it looks like, and what you used to do when you first started playing it.

I do not have a definitive top three, but here are three that I really like:

1. 9-7 (NSMBWii)
9-7nsmbwii-1-.png

2. Wicked Wall Jumps (SMG2)
mg2_%20116--article_image.jpg

3. Secret of Ricco Tower (SMS)

180px-RiccoTowersecret.png

(sorry, I can't find good pictures of these levels).

I want to say "Awesome" from SMW makes my list, but it's been so long since I've played it. And the SMB3 levels that I remember most clearly may not be ones I actually enjoyed playing. For example, the wraparound levels in Pipe Land stand out to me as representing SMB3's willingness to throw all kinds of random platforming ideas at the player, but I vaguely remember hating them as a kid.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Man, what a difficult question. You could post almost any level from any Mario game and have half of the world go "yup, I can see that."

drspeedy

Dang, this is hard... especially since recent Mario is more vivid in my mind than the older ones from my childhood... Let's start with

Sirena Beach: I didn't think SMS was that great as a whole, but they nailed this level.
tumblr_m15st7OssY1rs7sp3o1_400.jpg

SMW 1-1
: Just changed everything. The audio, the colors, everything was such a step up from NES, and mind blowing at the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qLIeYsWNwA

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
man, trying to make a top three from a sea of thousands Mario levels is damn hard

Flip-Out Galaxy
FlipOutGalaxy.png

Donut Plains
Donut_Plains_1.jpg

Tic Toc Clock
tumblr_mdu05mTqtg1qgvvtno1_500.jpg

Not sure which, but my favourite 3 would be from the "Secret of ..." levels from SMSS.

Man, I would love a whole game consisting of those platforming levels, so good.

msun_0723_screen007.jpg

This thread makes me wish there was a website that had full-level screenshots for all the 2d games in the series... i know Mario Wiki has some but it's mostly incomplete. Especially for the NSMB series, they've all blended into each other for me now!

watershed

Banned
Looking at some of the Galaxy and Galaxy 2 levels in this thread makes me concerned that nothing in 3D World will match that level of creativity.

Jackano

I'm in the SMB3 5-3 and kuribo shoes band wagon. And happy to not be the only one!

Super Mario 64... Can't choose one! I love very much the entiere game. Maybe bob-omb battlefield for nostalgia, or the desert level because the pyramid hide many things and so the level is way more deep than you can expect at first, just by looking the outside.

Looking at some of the Galaxy and Galaxy 2 levels in this thread makes me concerned that nothing in 3D World will match that level of creativity.

Why? I'm not a huge fan of 3D Land (and I'm pretty bummed about its controls/physics being imported into a console Mario), but it has plenty of solid levels, some of which play with vertical drops in a way that's new for the series. Many of the levels end up functioning pretty similarly to Galaxy levels, which should be encouraging. (Of course, there are the downer ones that trade on slower paced exploration, which are less fun without the expansive worlds and moveset from previous 3D Mario games).

Kazerei

Banned
No particular order

Bob-omb Battlefield (Super Mario 64)
The first level or world in Mario games are usually very well-designed, and this is no exception. What makes this even more memorable is that SM64 was the first 3D Mario. It was a whole new experience. I spent hours in Bob-omb Battlefield, just running around and getting the feel for 3D platforming.

Sirena Beach (Super Mario Sunshine)
Mostly because of Hotel Delfino. It's an indoor area where you explore each room and solve puzzles. There are puzzle-solving aspects elsewhere in Mario games, but Hotel Delfino is the best. It's like a very concentrated dose of puzzles, and I like that type of gameplay.

Flip-Swap Galaxy (Super Mario Galaxy 2)
Flip-Swap panels are definitely the best new platforming element since 3D Mario began. It's simple to understand, but can be a challenge to deal with. It's a neat twist that makes you think before you jump. I can get through the levels easily now, but there were plenty of "D'OH!" moments initially.

Top Bottom