• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Top XBLA/PSN Games - How do you rate them?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I had a few points/credit to burn on 360/PS3 and was itching for something new. Originally I was going to create a 'Recommend me some games' thread, but they pop up now and then. Upon a search for the top downloadable games on console I came across a thread on this years releases and if you considered it disappointing or not. Saw Outland, watched some vids (Which looks great btw) and trial is downloading now.

But what I started to wonder is how people rate their favorites? Have there been any lately that would be in your 'Top 5' or is your list made of releases from a few years ago? Do you rate your purchases on first play throughs or are your favorites the games you keep going back to (Such as Stardust HD, GeoWars, Pac Man CE etc)? Would you base your recommendations on the experience or value for money?

Example. I rate Shadow Complex, Castle Crashers and Trials HD very highly but I would recommend CC and THD over Shadow Complex because of the longterm experience.

Feel free to list your favs on each platform, or one or the other but you don't have to feel so inclined, I'm just curious that's all.

Grisby

I rate games based on each individual experience, whether it provides a short but memorable run through or provides gameplay and reasons to keep coming back.

Some goodies:
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Outland
Bastion- This'll make my goty list this year.
Shadow Complex
Super Meat Boy

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Top tier (with replayability):
Braid (for some reason, I can still keep replaying this game without a problem)
Castle Crashers
Pacman CE DX
Resident Evil 4
Space Channel 5 pt. 2
Plants vs. Zombies

Top tier (with little replayability):
Resident Evil CODE: Veronica X
Trine
Limbo

High tier:
Hard Corps: Uprising

Nif

Geometry Wars 2
Bastion
Afterburner Climax
Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Shadow Complex
Costume Quest
Trenched / Iron Brigade
Castle Crashers

Meier

The best digital game ever, without question, is Shadow Complex. Bejeweled, Plants vs Zombies, Puzzle Quest and Bastion round out the top 5.

Gaspode_T

I think everyone has different tastes to some degree, you can generalize which games are the most popular but it's hard for me to say for sure what games YOU would like the most.

A lot of the games I seem to like way more than others fall into the casual side of the spectrum, I like my XBLA games to be pick up and play and to be easy to play for 15 to 30 mins at a time. I haven't even cleared Shadow Complex yet because it doesn't fall into that bucket in any regard, every time I go back to it I feel like I need to start again from the very beginning to be most comfortable playing it. I feel the same way about Lara Croft.

I would say my favorite XBLA game is Bastion and second is Outland - I haven't cleared either yet, I almost don't want them to end...that's how much I like them. I remember feeling the same way when I played Mario 64 and Zelda on N64.

Octacamo

PS3 owner here

1. Flower
2. Flower
3. Flower
4. Flower
5. Flower

Honorable mention goes to Pixel junk Shooter, dead nation, braid and Super StarDust HD

Hyunkel6

The Dishwasher - Vampire Smile
Splosion Man

I like fast, twitch games with an unique artstyle that make me come back to them over and over again, and those two deliver in spades. Not to mention that they both have high replayability.

Liked but most likely won't play again:
Shadow Complex
Lara Croft
Dead Rising - Case 0

Daigoro

i say this often, but only because i feel that strongly about it.

Trials HD >>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else.

and i have a lot of XBLA games and many that i enjoy very much. im not much for ranking things, so i would have a hard time putting all of the ones that i love in any real order. but Trials far surpassed the enjoyement and longjevity i got out of all of the other games ive played on XBLA.

its one of the finest games on the system.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Okay what is up with the love of Flower? Am I missing something, when I play it I get bored of it within 5-10 minutes.

I normally rate them by playing them and seeing what I think is best. Then I try and organise them into a list going from best to worst.

How do you rate them?

gillty

Banned
1.Joe Danger

2.PAC-Man CE DX
3. Joe Danger SE
4. PAC-Man CE
5. Battlefield 1943

6. Uno XBLA

Outland, Trials HD, Shadow Complex, Rock of Ages.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Okay what is up with the love of Flower? Am I missing something, when I play it I get bored of it within 5-10 minutes.

No you aren't missing anything. Aside from the nice graphics and music the rest of the "game" is extremely shallow. Ironic too since it's continually lauded for being such a deep, emotional experience.

entremet

I generally buy multiplatform titles on XBLA, so but I'll list the ones that are available on PSN for PS3 only owners

PSN:
fl0w
Flower
Joe Danger (Expanded version available on XBLM)
Pixel Junk Shooter 1 and 2
Super Stardust HD

XBLA
Trials HD
Omega 5
Daytona USA PSN also
Castle Crashers PSN also
Limbo PSN also
Braid PSN also

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The weird thing about the best XBLA and PSN titles is that they should be incredibly niche. Even the bestselling Trials HD is brutally difficult and the sequel is even more so. Yet they sell in large numbers. My faves:

Trials HD
Super Meat Boy
Death Tank
Bangai-O
Comet Crash
Poker Smash
Schizoid
Lara Croft
Rocket Riot

I bought Outrun Online Arcade yesterday because I heard it was being removed from XBLA by the end of December, and I'm glad I did. It's definitely one of the best XBLA/PSN games I've purchased recently, if not ever. It's just you, your car, and your girl driving as fast you can to reach the end. A game lasts less than five minutes, but the game has paths that branch off each other to keep subsequent playthroughs interesting. There's also a mode where your girlfriend plies you with constantly shifting mid-race objectives to keep you on your toes. I recommend you get it before you forever lose that chance.

As for how I rate XBLA/PSN games, I pretty much treat them the same as other games. If they're entertaining or interesting, then I probably like them. If they're both, then I really like them. If they're neither, then I don't like them. I know it's pretty simple, but it serves me well.

baekshi

Banned
Fat Princess
Flower
Dead Nation
Pixel Junk Shooter
Super Stardust HD
WipEout HD Fury
Sly Collection
10. Infamous 2 Festival of Blood

T-Matt

I really have gotten a lot of of enjoyment out of Pinball FX2. I love pinball and the fact that these are exaggerated versions of pinball tables. Lots of replay ability going for high scores.

Feindflug

My Top 10:

1. Super Meat Boy
  2. Rez HD
  3. Pac-Man CE DX
  4. Bastion
  5. Shadow Complex
  6. 'Splosion Man
  7. Trials HD
  8. Lara Croft & TGOL
  9. Geometry Wars 2
  10. Limbo

teraMEL0S

You all have named off great games.

Not necessarily my top, but some goodies:
Banjo Kazooie/Tooie
Perfect Dark
Stacking
The Maw
Ms. 'Splosion Man
Dishwasher: VS
Zeno Clash
Marble Blast Ultra
Torchlight
Peggle
Plants vs. Zombies
Castlevania: SOTN
Tons more...

If you've got Xbox, try them!

And oh yeah, there's the Countdown to New Years event coming up on Xbox Live where they do deals that last a single day or so. Keep your points ready.

Corto

PixelJunk Monsters, Eden and Shooters. My favorite is Eden.
Flower, is almost a meditation exercise for me.
SuperStardust HD, almost perfection.
WipeOut HD+Fury, perfection. And I'm rubbish at it...
inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood, mind blowing the quality/quantity of content we get in this game. Move implementation a must.
Under Siege, old school-like RTS for consoles. The difficulty can be off putting but the features list and quality of the game deserve for the player to persevere.
Joe Danger, the perfect PSN party game. Guaranteed laughs all around.

Edit: I'm surprised that Xbox folks don't mention Ikaruga HD that much as a must have... Is the port not very good or what?

Geometry Wars 1/2, Hexic HD, and Marble Blast Ultra still rank as my favourite XBLA games. Pinball FX would probably be quite high up there too.

Decado

No order:

The Dishwasher
The Dishwasher 2
Dead Nation
Renegade Ops
Scott Pilgrim

There are still several games with potential I haven't purchased or finished yet. None with displace those first 3, though.

I really enjoyed Castle Crashers but unfortunately the lack of upgrades/items left it feeling a little flat. Never went back to it.

and i have a lot of XBLA games and many that i enjoy very much. im not much for ranking things, so i would have a hard time putting all of the ones that i love in any real order. but Trials far surpassed the enjoyement and longjevity i got out of all of the other games ive played on XBLA.

Came here to say this. Trials HD is actually the best 360 game ever, XBLA or otherwise.

Atomski

Came here to post this as well. Game can not get enough love.

Hootie

1. N+
2. MvC2
3. Battlefield 1943

N+ is by FAR my favorite XBLA game, not even a contest. Replayable, can play in spurts or for hours at a time, and its got dat co-op

1. Geometry Wars
2. Geometry Wars
3. Geometry Wars

....okay so onto other games that are not geometry wars, I am going to have to say

2. Super Stardust HD [geo wars but on playstation and a little twist]
3. Flower [... different, creative and just an enjoyable experience]
4. Wipeout HD Fury [... gorgeous, faithful to wipeout gameplay]
5. Cave Story (Wii-make) [played on pc, but new visuals is great... like old music better though]
6. Doom (XBLA) [...more because the controls were fantastic and graphics were actually good]
7. Super Meat Boy [soundtrack and cool gameplay]
8. Limbo [atmospheric, but too expensive... only said like 7 for it]

... I think other than that, that is all I have really bought as far as downloadable games. I am still not incredibly comfortable with having these games tied to my account and not really owning them in any other way. Just kind of worried that they may not entirely carry over into next generation due to companies just not caring.

Top Bottom