• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You're finally Iwata. What changes do you make at Nintendo?

Spend spend spend. Nintendo will no longer rely on third parties on their platforms. Instead will buy out boatloads of talent + collaborations to increase amount of games. Nintendo will plan to have at least 1 Nintendo game out every month for the two platforms. So need enough devs to produce 24 games a year, on a 1.5-3 year rotation depending on franchise. Make a Pokemon MOBA, F2P, links in with your handheld game for bonuses. Pokemon MMO gravy train has left, MOBA's are the new money making machine.

t0va

-Provide better incentives for 3rd parties.
-Money-hat western developers to create new ip's that appeal to western audiences.
-Plead the japanese audience to expand it's horizons and embrace western games.
-Dump as much money into advertising as possible once the above conditions are met.

Edit: if they can't achieve these goals within the next few years, then they need to start building a foundation for their next console. They need to completely revamp their business ideology and mend the rift they've created with developers. They key is to absorb the feedback and be self-critical. No more gambles. You're not going to create another Wii anytime soon. Add functions when you get the basics right.

I'm finally Iwata? As if its been a goal of mine?

Well if you put it that way:

- Core games and core gamers come first. Everyone else is second.

That's all that really needs to be said. They can afford to do that. They have enough money to stay in business forever and their shareholders are stubborn old men that will never abandon them. Give us F-Zero, Star Fox, & Zelda III (as in the true successor to Zelda II)

ITT People that know nothing about the industry say stupid stuff.

The only thing I would do is give the 3ds/wiiu an account system and give the wii u pad a better battery. Maybe make more games for the wii u that the core wants like F-Zero

MisterHero

More F-Zero games

ibltHlIAFtLH8y.gif
Yup.

They don't even have to be technically demanding. They just have to play better and have more content than GX. 30 racers Online would be terrific too.

I'd relaunch a bunch of Nintendo IPs without pushing the hardware. The games can look good but more importantly they have to play like modern Nintendo games.

1. Advertising. Lots of fun Nintendo games on schedule. Produce them so they're much cheaper than the competition but just as fun.

Bundle new games with VC downloads. Ex: Buy F-Zero Wii U, download 1 free F-Zero from VC.

2. 3rd-parties. Pay them for ports/collections of their HD gen games, like Metal Gear HD, GTA III/VC/SA/IV. Red Dead Redemption. Assassin's Creed I-III. Dead Rising Collection. etc.

Whether they jump on is up to them, but Nintendo needs to prioritize their own output.

3. eShop. Let indies do their thing and give them lots of compatibility like they're doing with Nintendo Web Framework. Nintendo can release small projects if they have them.

Since there's no physical relevance to DD software, charge maybe $5 less than retail (they do that now, don't they?). You can't do so much to piss off retailers though.

Tenki

• Buy Platinum Games and put them in charge of a new Star Fox and Nazo no Murasame Jō (Bayonetta style with samurais).
  • Make more Japanese collaborations and fund new exclusives.
  • F-Zero UX, developed by Sega.
  • Create some new Western studios, one or two in Europe at least.
  • Offer help to third parties for localizations.
  • Bring Calciobit to the West.
  • Mother 4.
  • Gamecube Virtual Console on Wii U.
  • And after all tasks are completed, wake up and cry.

Arkam

Call up Studio Ghibli and work out a deal to have them make a Legend of Zelda animated feature film.

You're welcome ;)

Grinchy

Banned
I immediately shitcan all the dumb shovelware and put all resources toward Mario 128.

Then I hire people who have heard of the internet before.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Serious answer - I would make my own ratings system like iOS and Android have, which means I could release games digitally worldwide at the same time without bothering about PEGI, ESRB, or bizarre regional restrictions.

I'd also stick bright yellow impossible to miss warning labels on the Wii and DS boxes. "Are you sure you don't want a Wii U/3DS instead? That will play the latest games - unlike this."

Make a big point that all DS/Wii games and digital purchases are all backwards compatible with the new system - unlike our competitors.

Ignore any suggestions of going third party or releasing games on smartphones.

big youth

2 quick, simple ideas:

assign 2 small, less experienced teams to make HD remakes and collections for the next 3-4 years. Mario Galaxy HD Collection, Metroid Prime Trilogy HD, Xenoblade HD, you get the idea.

All evidence points to Retro making a Western focused game right now, but if they aren't, assign that to them for their next Wii U title, expedite it, and try to make it a Halo killer.

t0va

ITT People that know nothing about the industry say stupid stuff.

The only thing I would do is give the 3ds/wiiu an account system and give the wii u pad a better battery. Maybe make more games for the wii u that the core wants like F-Zero

I'd like to think the majority of us know we have, at best, a vague understanding of how the industry works.

HoJu

Stop using Nintendo Direct as a platform for explaining things to people who do not already own and use the systems. Using Nintendo Direct as a way to explain features and functions ad nauseum to enthusiasts is a waste of time. They know it all already, and the people that don't own Nintendo systems are not tuning in. Stick to the strengths of Nintendo Direct: immediate communication with dedicate fans.

1.8 million people watched the Animal Crossing direct video.
I'm guessing a good number of them did not pick up a 3DS prior to the AC release.
I do agree with your point though, there is quite a lot of empty exposition talk, and it is probably doing more harm than good.

BD1

Banned
- Invest in western studios. Expand Retro, Give NST teeth, invest in Next Level Games and put money into maybe 1-2 studios.

- Continue to partner with Japanese studios and invest in better, faster, stronger localization

- Shake up development to focus on NEW IP, in addition to their classics. Maybe even give a fringe IP like Metroid or F-Zero to a western partner. (ie, let Criterion develop F-Zero)

- Hire a General Manager at NoA with autonomy to negotiate and cut deals with third party publishers

- Continue to cultivate indie developers. Push, push, push lots of small, quirky games to the platform.

- Fire whatever Advert Agency they current use

_woLf

Fire Reggie, bring back franchises like F-Zero and Star Fox amongst others...

edit: oh, and relaunch the Wii U. Same console, different name. Lower the price. Ambassador program for early adopters, give access to various e-shop titles free of charge.

If I was President of Nintendo and could snap my fingers and make anything I want happen, these are what I'd do, and these are truely what I'd do:

1. Buy Banjo from MS, best not to go after Rare itself, it's too far gone now, instead, try to rope in as many of the veterans as possible and form a brand-new EU studio, the folks will include Grant Kirkhope, Dave Wise, Chris Seavor, and will attempt to rope in Flippin Pixels and Nyamyam after they're done their indie games. The team will make Banjo-Threeie for Wii U, Banjo-Kazooie 3D, and will take charge of DK again. Also I'd get the entire DKR cast back, and then try for Conker afterward. Try to get most if not all the platforming IPs.

2. Buy Bomberman and have ND Cube take charge of it, starting with Bomberman 64 3D, then a true sequel for Wii U, but of course they'll work on Mario Party 10 alongside, if all goes well, I would try to scope what other Hudson IPs I can get, maybe get Do Re Mi Fantasy and Bonk.

3. Go to Sega and at least negotiate that EAD Tokyo can make a Sonic game for Wii U as they'd choose 100% without any meddling I MEAN assistance from Sega. Work on bigger things if all goes well. ;)

4. Get Hirokazu Yasuhara (already at NST), Naoto Ohshima (at Arzest), and Yuji Naka (at Prope) to all collaborate on a new mascot platformer with a FULL budget for Wii U (or 3DS) retail, EAD Tokyo can provide any assistance necessary. If possible I'd just buy both Arzest and Prope and either keep them separate or merge them into a New Sonic Team of sorts, Yasuhara can choose if he wants to stay in the US (he was always in the US since Sonic 2, seriously, he must prefer it) or whatever and just have him have full communication with the others. You have the greatest minds of Sonic, use them. ;)

5. Buy more devs, starting with the closest in the west, Monster Games and Next Level Games being first on the list, should've happened years ago.

6. Never refuse a localization of an in-house game, you never know what could be the next big hit, this would include Captain Rainbow, I'd try very hard to keep all the charm and ahem, themes in the game unaltered unless it was REALLY necessary.

7. Allow more 3rd-parties to make your veteran IPs, like consider Platinum or Treasure for Star Fox, or Camelot for DK for instance (as an alternative to the "New Rare"), this would also help with the next...

8. Droughts = illegal at Nintendo. Well, at least what is humanly possible. :p But as we have a fucking warchest, we'd use it to fund more games from 3rd-parties, and put more resources (likely from in-house) to assist said games to finish them for when there are gaps in the line-up.

7. TRY to fund versions of the BIGGEST games, this includes GTA V, and COD if Activision ever backs out, get the games that causes nations to go a buzz, those are vital for consumer perception.

8. Adding to 7, also try to go after ANY large game that's not Wii U-bound (like Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands, whatever), but to be fair this has to be early enough in development, because people will not appreciate late ports AHEM.

9. Next-gen, try to not reinvent the wheel with expensive controls but instead refine, while leaving financial room for beefier tech to try to be on par with the generation it's going to be part of.

10. A lot of these can apply to 3DS as well (but it is doing rather well at the moment at least in Japan), but again, Get COD by N-Space on 3DS, try to get AAA PSP games to get ported over (I know I said people don't like late ports, but I might make VERY few exceptions), one of my picks would be Peace Walker 3D with Naked Sample graphics, OH YEAH!

11. Revive more dead projects Bayonetta 2 style, first being Cry On by MarvelousAQL and Mistwalker for Wii U. Maybe also getting Level 5 to revive Ushiro on 3DS.

12. How about getting ads in at least NA to go back to their utter charm of the N64 era? Smash 64 anyone? :)

13. And just some of the other games I had in mind; Pokemon Stadium 3 on Wii U, Sonic Adventure 3 on Wii U in addition to the EAD Tokyo game, the "New Rare"'s DK game will be essentially DK64 2 called Donkey Kong Continent, of course they'll also make Diddy Kong Racing 2 (if possible I'd get Kirkhope as DK and bring back Kevin Bayless for Diddy and whoever else he did, Seavor was Bumper and of course Conker, bringing back as many voices as possible), also I'd have the team reboot Dinosaur Planet as it was intended. Viva Pinata 3D if I buy that which will be an Ultimate Edition of both games in one, a Wii U version can now happen as well.

14. Oh and of course more new IPs from all devs and not just regulated to small eShop games no, BIG retail new IPs.

15. Get Insomniac after they're done with EA to make a brand-new platforming IP for Wii U that's owned by Nintendo, make it the same caliber as A Crack In Time. Also try to get Activision to license out Crash and Spyro to also let Insomniac make brand new entries in whatever they deem worthy, so long as it's the proper team and not the secondary All 4 One team... Alternatively, round up as many former Naughty Dog, Insomniac, and Sucker Punch devs together for the same purpose.

That's it at the moment, I didn't really talk about some other game ideas that I have, but I can post those later. :p

Edit: Added more from later posts into this one.

First thing I would do as Iwata is look at my penis.
Does this also happen to be the first thing you'd do as pretty much anyone else?

How fun would it be if he had a tattoo on it? Maybe a mario sprite. Ladies are his super mushroom! He really likes tickling kirby

Meelow

Banned
1st Party Games:

1. Get Earthbound on digital distribution
  2. Go third party, focus on making a bunch of new IPs, share the vision, prolong the magic

You do know going third party would just hurt the industry and Nintendo right? And if you think Nintendo relays too much on Mario now just think of how bad a Third Party Nintendo would be, there would be no more new IP's coming from Nintendo, and say good bye to any chance of a new Star Fox, F-Zero, or Metriod.

Big-E

Get out of the console business and consolidate on handhelds for the time being. Even if the WiiU is eventually profitable, it may be the last console generation. Push handheld hard and experiment with putting stuff in new platforms and new revenue streams.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Does this also happen to be the first thing you'd do as pretty much anyone else?

How fun would it be if he had a tattoo on it? Maybe a mario sprite. Ladies are his super mushroom! He really likes tickling kirby

He prolly has the head tattoo'd as Kirby.

Darryl

Banned
Call up Studio Ghibli and work out a deal to have them make a Legend of Zelda animated feature film.

You're welcome ;)

i'm surprised a closer partnership hasn't popped up between the two. they could create something fantastic together.

Everyone mentions stuff like F-Zero.

Does that even sell?

I liked the GC one too but honestly.

That's the thing with threads like this....

we need to realize that we aren't the majority. So what we want or think will work...probably won't.

Hence stuff like Kinect sells well..games some consider "crap" sells well while Gaf darlings bomb or only sell medicore at best.

So as much as it pains me to say...but perhaps NOT doing what Gaf wants is the best idea lol.

but my real answer is ACTUALLY RELEASE SOME GODDAM GAMES. Nintendo needs a game to release a month for the Wii U and 3DS. Even if it's just some eshop games. and that would be from Nintendo themselves. Not sure if it is feasible of course but goddam it I'd try. That way there is at least a constant drip instead of months on end of fucking nothing.

That's the issue. Going 3rd party is no. Killing the WiiU is stupid...

just release some games for your new console.

Ganondorfo

Making a golden sun/advance wars/mario and luigi rpg for the WII U
Let Retro studios make metroid again
Buy rareware and turn them into the iconic developer from the snes-n64 days
Force that xenoblade director to make a new chrono trigger game for the WII U

• Buy Platinum, Mistwalker, Next Level, Monster Games and Camelot.
  • Retire Shigeru Miyamoto and Genyo Takeda.
  • Expand Nintendo's internal development teams, specially EAD.
  • Fire Reggie. Rebuild NOA and NOE production teams.
  • Third-parties become a key strategy for both consoles and portables.
  • Buy all the SNES and N64 era Rare IPs from Microsoft.
  • Buy most of the old SEGA's Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast IPs.
  • Buy the San Francisco Rush and Cruisn' IPs.
  • Help to advertise 3rd-party efforts, specially the big ones.
  • Support indie developers.
  • Don't allow 3rd-parties to bring half-assed, feature missing and late ports.
  • Improve relationship with retailers all around the world.
  • Call Epic Games and convice them to support Nintendo.
  • Call Capcom and ask them to bring Street Fighter and mainline Resident Evil for Nintendo.
  • Amend the bad relationship with EA. Ask them to bring their games for 3DS/Wii U with all features or extra content.
  • Call Rockstar and ask them to support Nintendo.
  • Call Bethesda and change Todd Howard's opinions regarding Nintendo.
  • Contact Amazon and amend the bad relationship with Nintendo.
  • Partner with Valve to bring a Steam-like online network for 3DS/Wii U.
  • Improve relationship with Activison.
  • Call Square Enix to bring Final Fantasy mainline for Nintendo.
  • Call Kojima and ask him to bring MGS mainline franchise for Nintendo.
  • Ask for the gaming media to give better coverage for Nintendo platform games outside of Nintendo's own games.
  • Openly critisize the many stereotypes surrounding Nintendo like "being kiddy", "third-parties can't sell on Nintendo" and "Nintendo systems are only for Nintendo games".
  • Green light F-Zero U, 1080º Snowboarding U, Star Fox U, Excitebike U and Wave Race U.
  • Call Rockstar North to work on Body Harvest 2, this time, published by Nintendo.
  • Call Silicon Knights back for Eternal Darkness 2.

MYE

People saying "go third party" are either clueless or its the safest way to voice some console wars wishfull thinking bullshit.

sphagnum

Banned
Let the Wii U play out until 2016, giving Nintendo employees a few years to learn the ropes of HD development. Next system is a handheld-console hybrid (stick to the profit over high-tech angle as well, so it should go up to PS4/720 visuals), which gets rid of the constant game drought problem that comes from having to shift from one platform to another during launches. Continue the same policy with Japanese devs, try to court smaller Western devs that can be brought under Nintendo's influence while expanding Retro and building another Western studio or two.

And get Platinum to make Star Fox

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I would start merging 3DS and Wii U games immediately. Obviously some Wii U games would be exclusive, but I would make a serious effort to make all first and third party 3DS games also made for Wii U.

Next I would open up the communication more with NoA & NoE and get them to start talking to third parties and coming up with the game plan for the successor to Wii U and 3DS. There's a few directions I think they could take, but unless they can mend fences with western devs, the most likely scenario I can see them going is a hybrid handheld/console route. If I were Iwata, I would start preparations for that yesterday.

Top Bottom