• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube bans all anti-vaxx content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
While I am definitely not anti-vax myself, I do unfortunately have several anti-vaccination people in my family...and it started long before the Covid-19 travesty.

I can understand to a point that it's "bad" to censor public content. Still, just imagine what would have happened if YouTube or Facebook had been around before Smallpox was widely vaccinated.

Misinformation has been the worst plague on mankind for a while now.

(Now if only they would ban unbelievably asinine videos such as those about "transvestigation" and especially anything pro FLAT EARTH.) 🌍

Aren't we ourselves well equipped enough to deal with whatever information?

Lupingosei

Banned
That is sadly the nature in all of this. More polarizing divide. Hell, they are outright lying to us saying it's a left vs right thing now, and people slurp it up depending on which side of that divide they are on.

Never let a crisis go to waste.
And the funniest thing, those corporations who created most of the divide in the first place through their algorithms of outrage now try to control what content is allowed and which one is not.

Also when it comes to youtube it is also the same company that controls 90% of search results for internet users and will of course show them an alternative to their product.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
You are openly against the medicine. There is nothing to misinterpret. E.T must be vomiting seeing your posts.

Am I? I'm pretty sure I ain't

Quite the accusation btw

Can you tell me where I said something that made you think so low of me?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Quit your whining.

YouTube is a privately owned company. They can do what the fuck they like. Don’t like it? Go use another service… but let’s not start all the ‘death of democracy’ bullshit because the Charlie bit me channel has had enough of anti vax bullshittery.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Aren't we ourselves well equipped enough to deal with whatever information?
We know from the last year that is not the case at all. The majority of people will obviously do the right thing and listen to the experts. But then there is a small minority who would rather "do their own research" and take medicine for farm animals.

And it is that small minority that is putting the most strain on everybody else. And a big part of that is because people are listening to grifters and nut jobs instead of doctors and scientists.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
There is no such thing as misinformation. What we are seeing here is a move from those that believe themselves to be above others stopping discussion of something they don't approve of. As another poster said "How is banning discussion of anything a great move?".

The bottom line is that your overlords believe you are an idiot and they, in their eternal wisdom, should curate what you are exposed to.
“The Earth is flat” isn’t misinformation, because there’s no such thing as misinformation, right tovarisch?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm ok if it's actually anti-vax content. But if it's someone just chronicling a bad reaction they've had to a specific vaccine, even if that message doesn't tell people not to get said vax, just mentioning their experiences with it, then I can't support that. But I suspect those will be banned as well. Social media companies are so full of themselves, they think it's their duty to spread a certain narrative they deem superior in all aspects of life.

thefool

Nothing big american corp does surprises me anymore. The quicker EU understands they are our biggest threat, the faster we will be able to migrate to better frameworks.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You are openly against the medicine. There is nothing to misinterpret. E.T must be vomiting seeing your posts.
They are not. You can be for medicine, and against Orwellian practices in the same breath. I know, really jogs the jello.

Just like abortion, one can be pro choice, but disagree in it's contraceptive practices or eugenicist mentalities of the PP founder that still hits minority communities harder than anyone else to this day.

Lupingosei

Banned
“The Earth is flat” isn’t misinformation, because there’s no such thing as misinformation, right tovarisch?
And why isn't this misinformation and dangerous for health?

39f75a00-ec85-4f04-84b6-f85d1a803da4.jpg

According to the CDC obesity is the worst public health crisis in the US even worse than covid, how is that not dangerous misinformation?

Where do you draw the line?

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
We know from the last year that is not the case at all. The majority of people will obviously do the right thing and listen to the experts. But then there is a small minority who would rather "do their own research" and take medicine for farm animals.

And it is that small minority that is putting the most strain on everybody else. And a big part of that is because people are listening to grifters and nut jobs instead of doctors and scientists.

For sure, I'm agreeing whole heartily with you.

But personally I feel that's more the product of the way (global neutral) Information isn't a thing yet and people (in the same fucking) country have the choice to pick wherever they get their Inherently biased tainted story from (it's not called a news "story" for no reason)

kingkaiser

They are not. You can be for medicine, and against Orwellian practices in the same breath. I know, really jogs the jello.

Just like abortion, one can be pro choice, but disagree in it's contraceptive practices or eugenicist mentalities of the PP founder that still hits minority communities harder than anyone else to this day.
The only thing "Orwellian" in this whole story are the blatant lies spread on the most popular video platform on the net, which have cost countless lives due to preventing people from getting a safe and highly effective vaccine.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
The only thing "Orwellian" in this whole story are the blatant lies spread on the most popular video platform on the net, which have cost countless lives due to preventing people from getting a safe and highly effective vaccine.

Cool, looking forward to Google banning all fast food and booze ads.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

If only they followed the narrative mainstream *news* fed us.

Herr Edgy

Oooh shit instant ad hominem attack. Love it! You'll go far in life! Well... at least on the internet.

Anyway I too welcome our factcheck overlords. I hope I can one day live in a future where Colbert's "Vax-Scene" tune is on repeat everywhere and where every announcement, every piece of information by government or media, is unchallenged and unquestioned. Imagine if people had the gall to think for themselves or had bodily autonomy, privacy, etc. The nerve of these dumb cunts!

In the words of the great Arnold Schwarzenegger: "Screw your freedom!!". Hell yeah brotha!

(also that's me out of this thread, make sure to really rip me a new one on the way out because that's always a sure way of winning people over to your side)
Funny anecdote. I don't post on social media much, and I dislike all conspiracy theories that common sense can easily defeat (such as, nanobots in the vaccine. Really? And no one gets the idea to check what's contained within and every government in the world would silence the media reporting on it, if it was ever true?). I'm also vaccinated, but I did intentionally wait a couple months before getting it.

I did learn that one of the better known fact checking websites, Reuters, has a chairman (and previously director) that is also in the board of directors at Pfizer.
Regardless of those fact checks being correct or not, surely a journalistic conflict of interest is obvious here, and should be discarded on principle alone.

So, a "fact checking journalist" ( https://twitter.com/erinbiba ) writing for different editorials and fact checkers, pronouns in bio, tweeted something about anti vaxxers making fact checkers fact-check really dumb stuff, and someone replied "and then they tell you the rich people bought the fact checkers" or something along those lines.

Since I just learned of that conflict of interest existing for Reuters and Pfizer, I did respond to that, from my phone and told them that they can look it up themselves on the official Pfizer website, "just google pfizer james c. smith". I didn't post the link because I was on the phone when tweeting. Now, I get that many conspiracy theorists will tell you to "just do your own research" instead of posting links, but I also clearly laid out that I'm not referring to any dubious website, but Pfizer themselves, and how to find the correct page.
I got blocked by that "journalist", which is funny to me, since I am just some random software engineer. It's not my job to check facts. It's hers though.

Here's the source btw: Pfizer's website

Also very bad move by Google.
I'm all for spreading knowledge and debunking anti vax bullshit, but censorship is not the answer and just undermines the possibility of discussion. Anti vaxxers and their communities will continue spreading their bullshit on other channels, without any sort of public awareness. It will just divide people more. The problem isn't per se banning anti vax, but the door this opens. Personally I believe there is a difference between wanting to wait with the vaccination and following lockdown rules and actual anti vax rhetoric. But who gets to decide what is considered anti vax? Some random moderators on YouTube that bring their bullshit agenda into this, relying on the rules backing them up to further spread their mind virus.
We all know there is plenty of people buying into the mindset that if you don't get vaccinated, you kill people. What a joke. We even have some posters here writing down exactly that. Are we really fine with giving people with this level of clouded ability of judgement power over us?
Previous rules at YouTube haven't aimed at political mindsets of convictions, there was no ill intent involved if a channel mistakenly received a strike. There can be now though.

(Sorry for responding to you btw)

kingkaiser

Ok. Reported.
To whom, Putin? He doesn't care, you are just another useful idiot for their propaganda machinery that got banned on YT.
It's also funny how the "Orwell, Orwell everywhere guy turns into a denunciator at the first opportunity, I guess you really do not even see the irony in this, right?

Lupingosei

Banned
Countless is a great argument because you never have to provide any source or information. Antivaxxer have cost countless lives, how many is unclear, but we are sure it is countless. Way more than smoking, drinking, obesity, drugs like weed or any other factor like that.

Last edited:

gioGAF

You are making my point for me. Seems like that particular story didn't sway your beliefs despite people posting it on the internet. Does that mean it should be banned? Are you able to determine whether it is true or false but others are not?

Just because someone puts something on the internet, anything really, doesn't mean you should believe it. That is the part where you do your due diligence. The problem is the assumption that some people need to be led by their betters. That they should not be afforded the discussion, they should just accept someone else's conclusion.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Funny anecdote. I don't post on social media much, and I dislike all conspiracy theories that common sense can easily defeat (such as, nanobots in the vaccine. Really? And no one gets the idea to check what's contained within and every government in the world would silence the media reporting on it, if it was ever true?). I'm also vaccinated, but I did intentionally wait a couple months before getting it.

I did learn that one of the better known fact checking websites, Reuters, has a chairman (and previously director) that is also in the board of directors at Pfizer.
Regardless of those fact checks being correct or not, surely a journalistic conflict of interest is obvious here, and should be discarded on principle alone.

So, a "fact checking journalist" ( https://twitter.com/erinbiba ) writing for different editorials and fact checkers, pronouns in bio, tweeted something about anti vaxxers making fact checkers fact-check really dumb stuff, and someone replied "and then they tell you the rich people bought the fact checkers" or something along those lines.

Since I just learned of that conflict of interest existing for Reuters and Pfizer, I did respond to that, from my phone and told them that they can look it up themselves on the official Pfizer website, "just google pfizer james c. smith". I didn't post the link because I was on the phone when tweeting. Now, I get that many conspiracy theorists will tell you to "just do your own research" instead of posting links, but I also clearly laid out that I'm not referring to any dubious website, but Pfizer themselves, and how to find the correct page.
I got blocked by that "journalist", which is funny to me, since I am just some random software engineer. It's not my job to check facts. It's hers though.

Here's the source btw: Pfizer's website

Also very bad move by Google.
I'm all for spreading knowledge and debunking anti vax bullshit, but censorship is not the answer and just undermines the possibility of discussion. Anti vaxxers and their communities will continue spreading their bullshit on other channels, without any sort of public awareness. It will just divide people more. The problem isn't per se banning anti vax, but the door this opens. Personally I believe there is a difference between wanting to wait with the vaccination and following lockdown rules and actual anti vax rhetoric. But who gets to decide what is considered anti vax? Some random moderators on YouTube that bring their bullshit agenda into this, relying on the rules backing them up to further spread their mind virus.
We all know there is plenty of people buying into the mindset that if you don't get vaccinated, you kill people. What a joke. We even have some posters here writing down exactly that. Are we really fine with giving people with this level of clouded ability of judgement power over us?
Previous rules at YouTube haven't aimed at political mindsets of convictions, there was no ill intent involved if a channel mistakenly received a strike. There can be now though.

(Sorry for responding to you btw)
Nicki Minaj Yes GIF

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
hang on, where exactly do you stand on censorship?

Being accused of anti vaccing of someone's knee jerk interpretation of my posts and doubling down on it without giving a valid reason is very fucked up.

Reporting someone (which I never do, it's my second time only) isn't the same as censorship don't you think?

He's freely making a verry very nasty assessment of me based on his own clouded interpretation.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Nice dodge.

Comparing actual lies/misinformation to ads for fast food or liquor is in no way on the same level. There are not even in the same zip code.

I was replying to someone talking about millions of people dying due to anti vax videos, millions die to obesity which is heavily promoted by Youtube ads. It's a fair comparison.

Being accused of anti vaccing of someone's knee jerk interpretation of my posts and doubling down on it without giving a valid reason is very fucked up.

Reporting someone (which I never do, it's my second time only) isn't the same as censorship don't you think?

He's freely making a verry very nasty assessment of me based on his own clouded interpretation.

someone was spreading misinformation and you are asking someone who has the power to do something about it, no there’s no parallels to draw here

Lupingosei

Banned
Nice dodge.

Comparing actual lies/misinformation to ads for fast food or liquor is in no way on the same level. There are not even in the same zip code.
Fast food and alcohol are killing more people than covid. For example, alcohol kills about 3 million people every year in the world.

Alcohol and obesity are also huge factors in corona deaths as well.

Nobody_Important

I was replying to someone talking about millions of people dying due to anti vax videos, millions die to obesity which is heavily promoted by Youtube ads. It's a fair comparison.
It's not, but you do you I guess.

kuncol02

Banned
Should Youtube allow the next Jim Jones death cult on its platform to encourage the murder-suicide of 900 people? Drink up, kids!

The anti-vax conspiracy movement has killed orders of magnitude more people.
If you want to live in democratic country then yes. That's price of democracy. You can't have democracy without free speech and you can't have free speech when you ban some people from speaking their opinion.

Nobody_Important

Fast food and alcohol are killing more people than covid. For example, alcohol kills about 3 million people every year in the world.

Alcohol and obesity are also huge factors in corona deaths as well.
So does Alzheimer's and heart disease.

Is there a point you were trying to make or are we just chatting about causes of death?

kingkaiser

Comparing Obesity to a highly transmitable virus spreading easily from one person to the next is propably the dumbest thing I have ever read on the internet. You should get an award for that, you really eraned it.

SpiceRacz

Vaccine misinformation should be removed. However, what I don't agree with is the amount of content that will end up being pulled because it falls under Youtube's umbrella of misinformation.

So does Alzheimer's and heart disease.

Is there a point you were trying to make or are we just chatting about causes of death?

You don't choose to have Alzheimers.

QSD

Nice dodge.

Comparing actual lies/misinformation to ads for fast food or liquor is in no way on the same level. They are not even in the same zip code.

I think the widespread acceptance of lying and deception in ads really set us up for this misinfocalypse we are living through, it became too trivial and commonplace to spin everything

YCoCg

FFS it's sad to see some people show their asses over on this forum, especially when it's people who are pretty cool otherwise.

FunkMiller

Fat cunts aren’t currently ramming hospitals to breaking point, or preventing people from leaving their homes.

Anti-vaxxers are doing both.

End of the ‘obesity is like being anti-vax’ argument.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It was about time. There is no place in society whatsoever for anti-vaxx dickheads, even in the darkest corners of the Internet. The less we see if these ignorant cunts the better.

You can be both be pro-vax and anti-vax. I support vaccinations in general, but I'm absolutely against the vaccination of children because I think the benefits here don't outweigh the risks. The vast majority of all children (like 99.998%) have nothing to fear from covid but there's a risk (especially for boys) to get myocarditis. See here. Does that make me an anti-vaxx dickhead? A UK advisory board even advised against the vaccination of healthy children, but this advice is ignored by the UK government. So yes, you can and you must have pro/con discussions of vaccination. Do you really think Youtube's censorship algorithms can see the difference between a a mad conspiracy theory and a reasoned discussion on this particular subject?

What happens is that the ban hammer will ban both the crazies and skeptics from Youtube. It's even a political tool. Yesterday Youtube deleted two German language Russia Today channels, supposedly because of videos that supposedly had "false information" about covid. This has now become an international row with Russia demanding those channels to be reinstated again or the Russian government will ban Youtube in Russia. The forthcoming ban wave will hit legit channels as well. It won't affect CNN, MSNBC or any other big mainstream media outlet. But any Youtube channel that is off the mainstream path and at one time discussed the pros and cons of vaccinations is in danger because now only the pros are now allowed. There's only one truth now. Listen to your government, listen to bigtech if you want to stay on Youtube, Facebook, Twitter and the like.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
So you get banned for going against science? wow - all those YouTubers who make videos teaching about all 256 different genders must be really worried right now...
That's official science now so they won't be banned. People claiming opposite should be worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom