• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube-gamer PewDiePie made 63 million SEK (~$7.5m) in 2014

hbkdx12

My question/concern is always what the next step for a gaming youtuber/twitch streamer (or any youtuber for that matter i suppose) would be

Obviously if your making that much money like pew, you don't need to work another day in your life if your standard of living is under control

But what about the people who have just enough subs/income where they don't have to work but they're not making out like bandits like pew either. What do they do if the how youtube/twitch bubble burst or some life altering experience makes it so they can't do it anymore?

How would they try to capitalize on their success in "the real world?" besides trying to work at a gaming studio or something where they're probably just another cog in the wheel working for someone else for less then what they were making on their own.

That aspect always fascinated/worried me about youtube/twitch.

The fact that some people are unable to fathom the value society puts on entertainment is baffling to me. I am very jealous of him, and would love to make money entertaining or informing people the way he does.

I don't think screaming rape jokes or making goofy noises during a LP is very informative, but ok.

Meneses

Good for him, i'm not really a fan because most of his stuff is "a bit much", but occasionally I do get a few laughs out of it.

Why do people get mad about this, though? The value of entertainment is a subjective thing and a lot of people like what he does. Silly humour has always ruled entertainment.

The vast majority of people don't even break 100, though a good amount of that is from giving up after a few months. 1k is just plain unreachable for a lot of channels that don't commit years to uploading.

Yep, I was able to help grow our channel to 5k views over a year but that shit was tough and took a ton of work. My hat are off to pew pew, hopefully I can get a fraction of the way there someday lol.

Let me explain: Working hard, although a prerequisite for success majority of the time, does not guarantee success, even finding your niche doesn't guarantee it. Finding a niche that will earn you the millions is the lucky bit. It's not as if he could know his persona would be this popular, there's no such formula for that.

Indeed there is a formula for that. If there wasn't, market research wouldn't exist as an industry.

Maybe he did have SOME luck, but - and I don't even like the guy - it really pisses me off when folks see someone successful and then just go "Huh...lucky son of a bitch!" whilst sitting there on their backsides doing absolutely nothing to improve their own situation.

He worked very hard. Others didn't. That's what makes him "lucky" when compared to those that call him such.

What on earth is the story behind those hits? Did this become a meme at some point or something?

Nope. I had the same thing with a video of a Kung Fu Panda 2 game trailer I uploaded once. Had 300k hits on it when my channel averaged about 2k at best. It's mainly kids and idiots searching for the full movie on YouTube.

Cartman86

Banned
It's still just so weird that a channel where someone plays video games and talks over them can be this popular. Don't get me wrong. I personally love basically the same thing over at Giantbomb and i'll watch certain streams of whole playthroughs. I 100% understand the appeal, but i'm a fucking loser. Millions of other normal people also like it, but for this one guy? We live in a weird time.

clem84

Gold Member
First time I watched one of his videos I had to stop and watch something else. I just can't stand the guy's voice/attitude/behavior during his videos. But hey, obviously many people like him. Good for him if he's making money.

Damn. The jealousy in here is real.

I've only watched a single video of his (an Ao Oni episode), but his style of LP just isn't my thing. Not my sense of humor.

It's clear that tons of people enjoy what he does, and the fact that he listened and cleaned up his act with the rape jokes says a lot IMO.

Many congratulations to him. He's making killer money doing something he probably loves. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Not everything needs to be for me/enjoyed by me.

What on earth is the story behind those hits? Did this become a meme at some point or something?

It seems to be something wierd with video games based on disney movies. I have a Toy Story 2 commentary uploaded that has a view count ranging from as low as 108 views to as high as 4232 views.

100,000,000 views though? I doubt Cars 2 the movie even got that many views. Someone needs to investigate this.

PDP was there since the birth of Youtube wasn't he? It feels like you have to get in early in order to get famous plus he covers more than videogames right?

Boogie does well for what he does right? Not filthy rich, but well enough to get by if I'm not mistaken and he does a lot of Twitch.

I'm free to admit I'm jelly, not because of his success, but the right time opportunity. He's a role model for the tween and teen generation. It sucks that I'm in my mid thirties, because I can't get over the idea that it'd feel creepy if I were to do lets plays with silly voices and a goofy hat.

Twitch scares the hell out of me because I don't want to get swatted. I'd like to try something, but I also have the feeling the bubble will burst by the time I get there.

I don't think screaming rape jokes or making goofy noises during a LP is very informative, but ok.
The act of him playing a game and recording it informs people of what the game looks and plays like.
That's a fact regardless of how you feel about the way he goes about doing that. The effect he had on Skate 2s sales is a testament to that.

The fact that some people are unable to fathom the value society puts on entertainment is baffling to me. I am very jealous of him, and would love to make money entertaining or informing people the way he does.

It's not so much "the value society puts on entertainment" as it is "what constitutes entertainment to some people."

The act of him playing a game and recording it informs people of what the game looks and plays like.
That's a fact regardless of how you feel about the way he goes about doing that. The effect he had on Skate 2s sales is a testament to that.

Hence the key word "very".

I do find value in YouTube coverage of video games, but its not from him.

U2NUMB

I mean.. good for him, can not fault him for finding something that ended up paying him a ton of money.

WITH that being said.. as a father to an 8 year old who loves gaming I have to constantly monitor his youtube feed to make sure he does not watch any of this guys videos. I just do not like what comes out of his mouth and feel that it has a negative influence on my child.

Not like it is hard to tell when he is watching him... his voice fills the house with screams every 2 seconds.

Anyways... super jealous, a great story on how to make money in this medium.

Xyber

The vast majority of people don't even break 100, though a good amount of that is from giving up after a few months. 1k is just plain unreachable for a lot of channels that don't commit years to uploading.

Lots of people have those dreams of getting all that ad money and then they realize it probably won't happen and give up.

I've been uploading videos of Rocksmith songs for about 2½ years now and just recently passed 1500 subs and I'm happy with that. My channel will never bring in any big bucks no matter how big it is because of all the copyright on the songs anyway.

ecosse_011172

I had a look at a few minutes of a few of his clips and he strikes me as extremely irritating, really quite annoying.
Good luck to him but it seems quite bewildering to me, I suppose that it's for children.

iNvid02

his schtick is annoying, but it is a schtick, hes just a performer that happens to be popular with the younger generations. as far as i can tell he's always come across as a regular, modest dude in his serious videos, and he did his bit for charity.

its ok to be jelly, but being downright bitter and enraged is embarrassing. i hope he makes double next year just to see the salt mines

dLMN8R

He's not wrong about spending money on war being a terrible thing, but he could have definitely acknowledged the sacrifices the service men and women make for sure

When was the last time you acknowledged the sacrifices of Swedish soldiers fighting for Swedish causes?

Wait, PDP did Skate 2? Or are you thinking 3? Because I don't know if 2 had enough glitches to make bank like 3 did.

Ivan

I think PewDiePie and similar streamers are kind of where the generational gap for my cultural generation goes. I get that it's popular, but when watching it I feel like how old people must have felt when they invented rock and roll or something.

That's it...Well said.

Jombie

A reminder that I'll never do what I love, while working myself to death in an unfulling job, dying with nothing but a pot to piss in.

Retrocide

I mean the guy does have 9 billion views. You don't get that many views unless you have connected I'm a big way with your audience. Good for him.

PewDiePie - Let's Talk About Money (July 7th, 2015)

"I have 9 billion views, and that translates to something. There's ads on my videos, I make money out of those. So whenever it comes out of how much I made a certain year, people just get so shocked and a lot of people also - which I saw - were very, very angry. They thought it was unfair. They just thought I just sit on my ass all day and I just yell at the screen over here. Which is true! *laughs* There's so much more to it than that. I understand that haters gonna hate, right? But I really think that money doesn't make you happy. I'm just as happy as I am now than I was 5 years ago. I'm very happy that I don't have to worry about paying rent because that was a huge issue when Marzia (girlfriend) came over to Sweden, we could barely afford it. Other than that, it doesn't change much. And to see so many people being upset about this whole thing, it's just sad. It's such a waste."

"We did raise a million dollars to charity. Very few articles picked up on that. But here it is everywhere, how much money I make."

He's right. People expending energy to hate on what he's earned, there's no benefit for them. That's just malicious envy (rather than benign envy) which is just unattractive. Money doesn't buy you happiness but just some more opportunities and experiences that can lead to happiness, that's true based on research.

Top Bottom