• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube-gamer PewDiePie made 63 million SEK (~$7.5m) in 2014

pewdiepiegjorde63_1496164_650x.jpg

PewDiePie's company Pewdie Productions AB made a profit of 63 million SEK (7.45 million USD or 6.7 million Euros in direct conversion) before taxes. This is up from 29.6 million SEK in 2013 and 7.2 million in 2012.

I just thought it was interesting, since this whole Youtube publisher versus gamer earnings debate has been going on for years now, and how much money there really is in making Yotube videos.

Sources are in Swedish:
- Original: http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/youtube-jattens-stora-vinst-63-miljoner/
- http://www.gamereactor.se/nyheter/255184/Pewdiepie+gjorde+63+miljoner+kronor+i+vinst+under+2014/

There is an enormous amount of hateful comments on social media right now so let's not sink to that level and fill this thread with butthurt or jealous comments. I'm not a fan of his videos personally, but he seems like a nice guy, he's done a good job (clearly) and it shows potential for online media. And he does give away money to charity, in case someone was wondering.

why are people mad that he makes so much money? Couldn't they all just stop watching him if they felt that way?
He is getting that paper!

SgtCobra

Yeah I can't hate on him, the guy is just doing what he loves and makes a lot of money with it. I'm sure we all wish we could earn millions by just doing something we like.

Silvard

His success is enviable really (said envy is the root of the usual salty comments like the one above) but it shouldn't be used as a barometer for potential earnings on YouTube in the same way that Minecraft doesn't give you an accurate picture of the money you can make as an indie developer.

Vuze

That's crazy. Happy for him, but not jealous of all the stupid hate from internet kiddos he receives for doing what he's doing.

Zacagawea

I just spent like an hour watching some of his videos and it really wasn't that bad. There's definitely worse to be found on YouTube.

Maedhros

I wish I could figure out a way to do that. Takes commitment that's for sure, as well as a helping of luck.

There's carisma.

There's understanding what your fans want.

And there's the undeniable advantage of being one of the first ones.

People trying to do the same now will have to struggle a lot more

Juicy Bob

I don't find him amusing or entertaining myself, but I don't hate the guy. I won't begrudge him his success at all.

However, I do think that's a ridiculous amount of money for anyone to make simply posting video game playthroughs on YouTube, no matter who they are, but that's the way of the modern world.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
For every 1 of him there are tens of thousands that don't make shit.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
His eyes are making me uncomfortable.

For those who have nothing but negative comments I have a quote for you, "don't hate the player, hate the game." Listen I'm not a fan and I think his channel is pretty dumb but good for him on capitalizing on YouTube's business model and the fact that people like watching "gaming" content on YouTube.

Mr-Joker

Banned
That's awesome.

You know if I wasn't so lazy, I could have made a living playing Video game... maybe. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Top Bottom