• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube go to Notch to try and Strike Ad Revenue Deal on Minecraft Videos

Harlock

Youtube and Google are stabbing the back of people who was before incentived to make games videos using Youtube as platform.

One thing I find odd. If I wanted revenue sharing it would have to be for an entire account. A copyright holder on the other hand can effectively cherry pick videos (i.e. choose individual videos from an account).

Let's Plays are a joke. Devs should receive 100% of the revenue. The only reason people are butthurt is because they fear they can't sit on their ass all day and play video games anymore to make a living.
So youtube should receive 0% of the revenue?

Some weird shit is happening at YouTube, and it doesn't look good for viewers or small producers
Its called how do we sort this white elephant out and make it profitable (it cost $millions a day to keep youtube running*) and the answer is monetise every video you can by throwing money** at copyright holders so you can get revenue sharing on videos where people have refused or not accepted offers (usually because they don't own the copyrights or their account has too many black marks to be eligible).

*-That was back when google bought it and back then there were no HD videos or many of the other features.
**-Well, actually waving potential in their faces...

moggio

Banned
Notched asked them not to swear due to young children, they did anyway, notch was upset, yogcast said minecon was crap and complained notch didn't pay for the whole group to fly to the event (only 3 of the 6 or something like that).

Yeah, except that story isn't true and it's all water under the bridge now anyway.

El Sloth

Banned
Looks like gamers might want to find a different video service soon.
Opening for Twitch to strike?

Invest some money into making where their archived videos are stored more similar to a traditional video service like YouTube as well as allowing pre-recorded material...

RedShift

I bought Minecraft as a direct result of the Yogscast videos, so yeah I think it would have been a bad move generally for Mojang.

macewank

Marcus summed it up perfectly in the latest AG. If Nintendo wanted to go after Youtube ad revenue they should have done so in a fashion that continued to benefit the folks uploading the content.

These aren't (for the most part) just videos of Nintendo games. There's produced content that goes along with the video, and it's asinine to think that those folks shouldn't be compensated for it

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
It's like getting paid for someone else to do work advertising your game for you.

Rooster Teeth would be fucked, and I know I buy like 1 in 3 games they play because I saw them play it.

This is 100% retarded. Didn't Nintendo agree to this?

Oh wait, good thing Nintendo doesn't have any fuckin games to advertise. Not going to be missing out on all the Let's Plays people wouldnt be doing anyway.

If people can get money by playing your game, and it publicises your game I really don't see why the game company should get that revenue, perhaps a cut, but that's it.

Nintendo really fucked up with this.

SJRB

Gold Member
The irony of this all is that while Youtube is trying to monetize their service, their actual video player is in worse shape than ever.

Half the time 720/1080p isn't even working, or it takes 30 seconds for the resolution upgrade to kick in. Pre-buffering long[er] videos doesn't work and pausing a video for a longer period causes the playback to crash when continuing the video.

Kouriozan

The irony of this all is that while Youtube is trying to monetize their service, their actual video player is in worse shape than ever.

I agree, it's even worse on mobile/tablet.
Also, with that Youtube app I'm getting tons of errors.

Half the time 720/1080p isn't even working, or it takes 30 seconds for the resolution upgrade to kick in. Pre-buffering long[er] videos doesn't work and pausing a video for a longer period causes the playback to crash when continuing the video.

Right? I feel like I'm on dial up again when I try to use Youtube anymore. Its a joke. I actively avoid it now.

People need to make that jump to blip.tv again.
I recall the first big jump to over there was when youtube was up to some weird tricks.
Blip requires you to fill out forms carefully to make it look like a TV show and even then you don't know if you are acceptable. And you need a Facebook account to comment.

There's not gonna be a big jump there.

Morokh

Let's play videos is what made the game the success it is today, so for Minecraft more than any other game ( or company ) it would have been a disastrous thing to do.

And I'm glad to see i'm not the only one having real trouble with youtube lately, thought my connection was going to hell.

Darryl

Banned
Some weird shit is happening at YouTube, and it doesn't look good for viewers or small producers

i don't see why this would be bad for viewers. it looks like youtube is trying to get even more serious to me. that could be cool. small producers? maybe. i'd be more worried about small producers that exist a little bit more into the future after youtube has completely replaced TV and has become so large that no one looks at the little guy anymore and your funny videos can't even become viral

syllogism

Surely Youtube can arrange ad revenue split with the original video uploader??
That's a lot more work than splitting with only one entity. Furthermore, youtube ToS prohibits monetization of video game footage (among other things of dubious legality), sans permission. If they approached uploaders of such footage, that could be construed as waiving that policy and would overall just complicate things.

Those videos basically made the game what it is. So he was right not to do it.

Still though this is another thing about youtube ad revenue lately, Nintendo is being very stingy about it too

Youtube and Google are stabbing the back of people who was before incentived to make games videos using Youtube as platform.

Agreed, people should be slamming Google for selling out their own customers. I am now in search of a new video site. I don't want to support YouTube anymore.

PGamer

fucking juniors
I'm curious because I don't think I've seen a definitive answer for it but does a game publisher actually have any rights to a video that someone else made of a game, like a tutorial or something? Is that true of any software?

creid

I don't understand why this can't be a 3 way thing though. Creator, IP owner and Youtube all getting a cut. Why does it have to be IP owner and Youtube only?
Yeah, is there something missing here? Notch says he could've gotten "a cut" of the ad revenue, not "the video creator's cut" of the ad revenue. Are we sure they weren't offered a 3-way split? I'm not sure what would be so bad about that. Unless Notch just really believes the video creators should get all of the ad revenue...

KaiserBecks

Youtube has been spammed by countless Let's Plays (and other videos of that kind) so bad that I find it hard to actually find decent content. Not only because there's too much, but because everyone sort of copies each other through similar titles and thumbnails. Seems like every 16 year old thinks he's capable of running an entertaining channel, just because he has a capture card. If this helps sorting this thing out, Notch, by all means do it. I hope other developers will as well. Why shouldn't they, they basically provide the tools.

1-D_FTW

I don't understand why this can't be a 3 way thing though. Creator, IP owner and Youtube all getting a cut. Why does it have to be IP owner and Youtube only?

Exactly. This really is some slimy tactics on Google's part. "Do no evil." :lol. I don't have problems with the IP owner and google getting a cut (since they're a valuable part of the equation), but WTF should the content creator doing the work and providing the footage people want to watch get nothing? This is so stupid. They're not any less valuable to the whole equation. Without them, it's either less videos to watch or just souless PR from the companies replacing it. Neither of those is going to bring in ad hits.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Yeah, is there something missing here? Notch says he could've gotten "a cut" of the ad revenue, not "the video creator's cut" of the ad revenue. Are we sure they weren't offered a 3-way split? I'm not sure what would be so bad about that. Unless Notch just really believes the video creators should get all of the ad revenue...

They definitely should get all the (non-youtube) revenue, that's beside the point.

Youtube gets the lions share of the profits from ads as it is, you think theyd cut out their chunk to give to the IP owner?

Dreamer RD

I'm curious because I don't think I've seen a definitive answer for it but does a game publisher actually have any rights to a video that someone else made of a game, like a tutorial or something? Is that true of any software?

If you are not creator of the game, then obviously you have no rights to use gaming videos for profit.
But there are few examples of game companies that allow commercial use of their games footage. Notch is one of them.
Partnership with huge network like Machinima or IGN is a different story. Because they have contracts with most game publishers, you can make money from game vids legally.

People are going to stop recording livestreams of certain games because they aren't getting paid? Now who's chasing profits?

The quality will decrease if there is no money for the creators. How is this not obvious?

You are talking about hours of work recording the gameplay and commentary. Hardware to capture footage and render it or stream it, software to edit videos. All the time you spend editing it to make it look presentable. etc etc.

Remove the incentive of actually getting some money back for all that effort and you are left with 12 year olds recording with their cellphones.

starmud

Google is really pushing to monetize YouTube. Strongly. The size of the pile dosent matter, if any money is there they want it.

As for nintendos involvement, large content producers joining will set a presedent. I'm sure google would have loved notch added to that.

I'm saying EA is next just given the amount of sim videos.

I don't understand how you can feel any sympathy for the LP'ers. Like many youtubers, they make $ on doing something that could change in a heartbeat. They depend totally on a platform they have no control over... That's part of the wave when your dealing in a freelance creative platform. It happens.

Defending it is like saying everyone who made a blog review site with ad links deserved their fair share...

I understand enjoying higher produced content due to the money in it, but once again... Some of the best work I've seen are done by smaller fan channels who aren't making bank on viewers. Devotion to something dosent die for everyone, for the people who see it as side money, maybe.

Even of notch did take the deal, how would it really harm minecraft? Many are players just uploading junket videos of a creation. The other popular side is spoof/comedy content based on the game. These channels that mock pop gaming will cover anything one way or another, they go as mainstream as need be.

While I don't like any of this, I still don't see how it's a major turn of events.

Tunavi

Banned
Then notch remembered he's so rich that it has overcome any motivation he will ever have for the rest of his game development career.

1-D_FTW

The quality will decrease if there is no money for the creators. How is this not obvious?

You are talking about hours of work recording the gameplay and commentary. Hardware to capture footage and render it or stream it, software to edit videos. All the time you spend editing it to make it look presentable. etc etc.

Remove the incentive of actually getting some money back for all that effort and you are left with 12 year olds recording with their cellphones.

Crowdsourcing baby. Corporations love this shit. Nothing like getting other people to do all your work for free/fractions of minimum wage. It really is quite disgusting how they're continuing to push the boundaries further and further with each passing year.

JDSN

Banned
Its a bit ignorant to compare this to the Nintendo situation, I doubt their shareholders would be pleased to know that someone is making profit out of their stuff regardless of the free advertizing thing when they are already paying for it, obviously the same as the privately-owned fan-base dependent Mojang.

FLEABttn

Banned
Then notch remembered he's so rich that it has overcome any motivation he will ever have for the rest of his game development career.

He's got no shareholders to please. He'll err on the side of whatever he wants.

If Nintendo didn't monetize youtube when given the chance, their shareholders would be pissed.

Mindlog

I'm fairly certain those shareholders have bigger concerns.

It would be interesting to see the Youtube/Overall revenue breakdown for the various groups that have accepted or rejected this offer.

Sean

Banned

Even if YouTube introduced some kind of split payment system there wouldn't be a whole lot of money for the uploader when all is said and done.

As far as I know (could be wrong), YouTube takes a 45% cut right off the top from all ads on its site. Then if you're partnered with one of the big networks (necessary for a lot of gaming channels that want to monetize) that company typically takes ~25% of your earnings. And if Notch were to take a 25-30% cut or whatever there's just not much earnings potential for the uploader.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Even if YouTube introduced some kind of split payment system there wouldn't be a whole lot of money for the uploader when all is said and done.

As far as I know (could be wrong), YouTube takes a 45% cut right off the top from all ads on its site. Then if you're partnered with one of the big networks (necessary for a lot of gaming channels that want to monetize) that company typically takes ~25% of your earnings. And if Notch were to take a 25-30% cut or whatever there's just not much earnings potential for the uploader.

25%? Try WAY higher :p

He's got no shareholders to please. He'll err on the side of whatever he wants.

If Nintendo didn't monetize youtube when given the chance, their shareholders would be pissed.

Whats unique about Nintendos shareholders compared to shareholders of every other AAA developers/platform holder?

Why isnt EVERY publicly traded developer doing it?

Sandfox

As much as it would annoy the fans I would've personally done it as a businessman. The fans would get over losing a cut of their profits if it meant more money towards making Minecraft an even better game.

JWong

Banned
I would do it if it was going to generate money for Google.

The more money Google has, the more cities with Google Fiber.

As much as it would annoy the fans I would've personally done it as a businessman. The fans would get over losing a cut of their profits if it meant more money towards making Minecraft an even better game.

You don't think Mojang has enough money to improve Minecraft? You think more money in their pile would make any difference?

Jac_Solar

I don't have any affiliations with any of the Youtube vids, or anything similar, or even watch them, but what's so different from this to a regular job? Some of these people play the same games over and over again, are working/playing on a semi-regular schedule, have obligations, etc. It's not like they just play a game they really enjoy for a couple of hours a day and upload a scattered recording of the stuff they happened to record.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Whats unique about Nintendos shareholders compared to shareholders of every other AAA developers/platform holder?

Why isnt EVERY publicly traded developer doing it?

That's such a lame ass deflection too. So Mojang doesn't have stockholders to please, they'd get the money directly to their own wallets, therefor it's easier for them to say no? If anything it's easier for them to say yes since they don't have to answer to anyone!

What delusion.

Einbroch

Banned
I see nothing wrong with Mahjong getting a cut of the ad revenue.

People calling them "greedy" are just silly. It's not like they would just pocket the money. A good majority of it would go into the company, making their games better. And what's wrong with a 5-10% cut? That would mean a ton of money for the company, and not too much off each consumer. These videos get a TON of views. This could potentially employ a person at their studio.

This might be a good PR move, but skimming a little off the top for a game they created is hardly a slimy move, especially when Youtube themselves offered it to them. Also, they don't need PR. Mahjong/Notch is almost universally loved.

Top Bottom