• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube is banning accounts for "objectionable" content. It's past time to start using alternatives.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
There are several threads about the current YouTube experience as a viewer, but content creators are also being pushed out due to advertiser demands. Longstanding channels are being banned because YouTube's unpublished, unknowable Community Guidelines can change at a moment's notice, and old content is not exempted from the new rules. Channels have been banned with no warning or opportunity to take down newly banned content, as the following video will explain:

Karl recommends Utreon, Odyssey or BitChute, but what other alternatives have you found or used?
And by the way, YouTube isn't alone in this. You can't make a post or comment on reddit that includes the word "bitchute." Old media and the influence of corporate dollars are already trying to strangle out the competition before it can even develop.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Karl recommends Utreon, Odyssey or BitChute, but what other alternatives have you found or used?
Also Karl:

Ill Be Back Arnold Schwarzenegger GIF
The Sopranos Quote GIF

They all want to quit, they all come crawling back.

GeekyDad

Not gonna watch the video, but I am curious if perhaps these folks weren't sent instruction to simply change the indication measures on certain videos, a la "Is this video made for children?"

They deleted my Battlefield 4 montage of me shooting down helicopters with unguided RPGs titled something cheeky like "For Battlefield I make Jihad" a year or two ago for "glorifying terrorism"... then instantly denied my appeal where I referenced the policy and pointed out how I didn't violate anything in said policy. Then my video was instantly deleted whereas I thought I had 24 hours to download a copy. A video that nobody but me and a couple of Xbox friends ever watched. Based on view count I was the only person who had watched it in literally years.

YouTube? More like FuckYou!Tube

But yeah they're part of a larger trend of gobble up all the market share with shady-ass big-money corporate business practices, and once market is cornered, get rid of the 'undesirables' that could have helped a competitor thrive back in the old days but now have to take on a full-fledged monopoly.

Lasha

They deleted my Battlefield 4 montage of me shooting down helicopters with unguided RPGs titled something cheeky like "For Battlefield I make Jihad" a year or two ago for "glorifying terrorism"... then instantly denied my appeal where I referenced the policy and pointed out how I didn't violate anything in said policy. Then my video was instantly deleted whereas I thought I had 24 hours to download a copy. A video that nobody but me and a couple of Xbox friends ever watched. Based on view count I was the only person who had watched it in literally years.

But yeah they're part of a larger trend of gobble up all the market share with shady-ass big-money corporate business practices, and once market is cornered, get rid of the 'undesirables' that could have helped a competitor thrive back in the old days but now have to take on a full-fledged monopoly.

You should write them back calling them out for islamaphobia since they think jihad means terrorism.

You should write them back calling them out for islamaphobia since they think jihad means terrorism.
There are some actual YouTubers who eek out a living uploading to that platform that have no way of ever talking to an actual human. What chance do I have? Pretty sure I got snuffed out by their internal discount ChatbotGPT :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Fox Mulder

Any YouTube competitor will eventually run into the same issues when it gets big enough. Plus they’re probably already seeded with unappealing content from people already banned off YouTube.

jm89

Microsoft and Amazon have the scale to compete. Not like they won't do the same shit anyway if they rely on advertisers.

Drew1440

Odysee is starting to grow but community integration is still quite low. I do try to comment/like where I can.

The cycle continues, youtube does something stupid, people critise it and ask where the alternatives are, they don't bother to use said alternatives and carry on with YouTube until the next policy change.
Rinse and repeat.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Can someone please provide a summary of the channels that were banned that prompted the thread? I know the video is only 8 minutes long but I detest listening to / watching YouTubers. I'm just curious what some are up in arms about.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'll second RUMBLE. They've "committed" to being a free speech platform. I also like that the mobile app will continue playing even while in the background and without some premium plan like YouTube red

Rumble is good. It's as open as Bitchute but without the Nazis wearing SS stormtrooper uniforms.

Mistake

Fuck dude, search for better shit. If that what it takes to learn to internet I'd rather remain ignorant.
Well if people complain then they’ll take them down too.
My point was that youtube hosts plenty of its own objectionable content, which is still not taken down after years of exposure. Just don’t click on things you’re not interested in, like any other platform. Being an adult is hard /s

Last edited:

Fbh

Any YouTube competitor will eventually run into the same issues when it gets big enough. Plus they’re probably already seeded with unappealing content from people already banned off YouTube.

Yup.
It's the inevitable cycle: To make it big you need to be free while making a lot of money --> to make a lot of money while being free you need big advertisers --> to get and keep big advertisers you need to promote tame inoffensive content (or at least the socially acceptable type of offensive).

Best thing these content creators can do IMO is try to find an audience on youtube by sticking to their policies and get enough people to support them on patreon (or other such platform) where they can them point them towards "non acceptable" content on other platforms. If your main source of income is advertising then you'll always have to deal with stuff like this

AmuroChan

No alternatives will ever become as big as YT, but I support them eating into YT's market share as much as they can.

Mistake

My current setup is freetube on my pc for youtube/entertainment and getting around age restrictions, odysee for tech info and any creators that migrate there, and rumble for political/current events. I would optimally like everything on odysee with different subbed content on different channels you can make, but now it’s all still together and requires a separate login.

Last edited:
Once you're big enough, there is no viable alternative. This is why no one actually quit Twitter either.
There can be, but it has to be disruptive technology. Something that isn't just a copy but an unexpected improvement in ease of usage, design, and every other way that makes Youtube look like a dinosaur, sucking up all younger generations and kills it the way Netflix killed Blockbuster.

Depending on who you ask, this disruptive alternative already exists... it's called Tik Tok...I know there are younger kids and gen z who only use it and never YT.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm still surprised a certain channel I regularly watch hasn't got the steel boot yet

Last edited:

Chronicle

What's the policy and how you didn't violate it? Looks pretty cut and dry yo me. And 'barely anyone watched it' is a terrible counter argument.

Superkewl

I watch YT on my tv via xbox. If others such as Rumble came out with an app, I would definitely give it a shot

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Open Odysse.
See all the bits of YouTube that I actively avoid.
Close Odysse.

Oh man, I had to check it out. Imagine the kind of human that comes out on the other end of that kind of wild propaganda. Whoa.

Top Bottom