• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube links blocked on MSN Messenger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdammen

This is in preparation for the new MSN Gold service. Soon we'll have to pay for the privilege to use non-Microsoft URL in our conversations :p

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Why don't Europeans switch to AIM? It works better. And nobody can change their name.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
TemplaerDude said:
no it doesn't. aim is a huge piece of shit. only americans are dumb enough to use it.

Yes it's so terrible that I've never had a problem with it. How is it a piece of shit? I can send my friends youtube links, I can be signed into two computers at once, and nobody can change their name.

QVT said:
Yes it's so terrible that I've never had a problem with it. How is it a piece of shit? I can send my friends youtube links, I can be signed into two computers at once, and nobody can change their name.

1. it's aol, automatically making one of the biggest pieces of shit on the internet.

2. msn has a million more features and is way better.

3. why the fuck shouldn't i be allowed to change my name?

TemplaerDude said:
1. it's aol, automatically making one of the biggest pieces of shit on the internet.

MSN has way fewer features than AIM... that's one of the biggest knocks against it. I use msn because I think its interface is a million times better than AIM's and the majority of my friends use it as well.

Xeke

Banned
Ikuu said:

Oh I know. I use Adium, but most students don't know what it is and know that iChat supports their AIM account so they stick with it.

I've been using AIM in some capacity since 1998 when I was in 4th grade so I don't see a switch coming anytime soon. All my friends use it.

That's the stupidest fucking reasoning ever.

1. Microsoft has just as much a history of shitty ass products. Windows ME anyone?

2. Please name these important features and why it's "way better".

3. Just make a new account. People changing names all the time makes shit hard to keep track of. I've had the same AIM SN sine 98'.

the #1 thing i love about AIM is the ability to log on with more than one device.

i only use msn because that's what my family from the caribbean uses.

well, i mean, actually i use trillian, but the point is i really used to love icq.

does anyone actually use yahoo messenger!?!?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
AIM is really the worst IM software ever. It was relevant back in 2000. Now? Not so much. Windows Messenger FTW

Xeke said:
That's the stupidest fucking reasoning ever.

1. Microsoft has just as much a history of shitty ass products. Windows ME anyone?

2. Please name these important features and why it's "way better".

3. Just make a new account. People changing names all the time makes shit hard to keep track of. I've had the same AIM SN sine 98'.

1. microsoft makes bad and good products.

aol just makes bad.

2. everything.

3. omg hovering over someones profile and seeing the email address is so hard. so hard to keep track of! i must be retarded!

Tideas

Banned
I wish people outside the US use aim. Makes chatting with everyone so much easier.

Now, I gotta sign onto AIM for US buds, and MSN for oversea bud. :( it sucks!

get on AIM PPL!

Xeke

Banned
TemplaerDude said:
1. microsoft makes bad and good products.

aol just makes bad.

2. everything.

3. omg hovering over someones profile and seeing the email address is so hard. so hard to keep track of! i must be retarded!

Well you can't name one fucking feature that makes it any better so I'd be inclined to think maybe you are.

lol everything, i'm so clever hahahahahaha:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Xeke said:
Well you can't name one fucking feature that makes it any better so I'd be inclined to think maybe you are.

lol everything, i'm so clever hahahahahaha:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

i just named every feature of msn that makes its better. every single one. what's wrong with that? why are you so bitter? i bet msn slept with your wife or something.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Tideas said:
I wish people outside the US use aim. Makes chatting with everyone so much easier.

get on AIM PPL!

Just get a multi-client.

lopaz

Banned
Tideas said:

get on AIM PPL!

ew no!

Uncle

Xeke said:

I don't think any of my friends have changed their names on MSN, but if someone did, would the custom names that I made for them myself change as well?

Xeke

Banned
TemplaerDude said:
i just named every feature of msn that makes its better. every single one. what's wrong with that? why are you so bitter? i bet msn slept with your wife or something.

What feature?

Last time I checking, making better products is an action of a company not a feature. Everything isn't a feature and being able to change names is hardly more important than being able to log in on several machines.

Not to mention that MSN blocks youtube links, thats lame and reason enough for me.

Xeke said:
What feature?

Last time I checking, making better products is an action of a company not a feature. Everything isn't a feature and being able to change names is hardly more important than being able to log in on several machines.

everything aim does, msn does better.

and it does more of them!

except one or two things. but those features suck which is why they aren't on msn, because msn doesn't suck.

Xeke

Banned
TemplaerDude said:
everything aim does, msn does better.

and it does more of them!

except one or two things. but those features suck which is why they aren't on msn, because msn doesn't suck.

So being able to share youtube links sucks?:lol Logging on multiple machines sucks? Not being an invasive startup app on XP sucks? Windows Messenger is impossible to delete and you have to change the .exe name to disable it.

eve241

Discussing which IM is better is childish. In the end the purpose is the same and your choice depends on you friend base. I used to use ICQ myself back in the day. I now use AIM for most contacts of people I talk with from forums and places online and MSN for real people from my country where MSN is king.

Trillian on Windows and Adium on OSX are my clients of choice.

Xeke said:
So being able to share youtube links sucks?:lol Logging on multiple machines sucks? Not being an invasive startup app on XP sucks? Windows Messenger is impossible to delete and you have to change the .exe name to disable it.

omgyoutube.jpg

AMAGAD I HAS 4 LAPTOPS, A PC, AND A CELL PHONE AND IM SIGNED INTO AIM ON ALL OF THEM RITE NOW AMAGADDDDDDDDD

and oh yea, i'm sure msn is so intrusive. just click "don't launch at start up" and omg it doesn't launch at startup.

and i'm sure that 12.6 megabytes are so fucking dire on your computer.

Tideas

Banned
does MSN have a log feature where you can go back and read previous IM discussion?

cuz AIM has that. Well, dead aim had it, and then AIM hijacked the idea

Xeke

Banned
Tideas said:
does MSN have a log feature where you can go back and read previous IM discussion?

cuz AIM has that. Well, dead aim had it, and then AIM hijacked the idea

I used AIM+ forever.

MidiSurf

Banned
Xeke said:
Well it was on XP SP1.:lol You couldn't actually delete it and it was a default startup service and always seemed to re-enable itself.

eDIT.

Removing Messenger from computers WITH Service Pack 1 installed

1) Click on Start, Control Panel
2) Double click on Add or Remove Programs
3) Select Add/Remove Windows Components
4) Uncheck Windows Messenger
5) Click Next
6) Click Finish
7) Restart your computer

Removing Messenger from computers WITHOUT Service Pack 1

1) Click on Start, Run
2) Type the following (or cut and paste it) into the Run line

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

3) Click on OK

TemplaerDude said:
omgyoutube.jpg

AMAGAD I HAS 4 LAPTOPS, A PC, AND A CELL PHONE AND IM SIGNED INTO AIM ON ALL OF THEM RITE NOW AMAGADDDDDDDDD

and oh yea, i'm sure msn is so intrusive. just click "don't launch at start up" and omg it doesn't launch at startup.

and i'm sure that 12.6 megabytes are so fucking dire on your computer.
wait, are you actually downplaying being able to log in via multiple devices!?

:lol :lol :lol

The Faceless Master said:
wait, are you actually downplaying being able to log in via multiple devices!?

:lol :lol :lol

you can log onto msn from numerous devices as well.

it just rightfully logs you off of any other device you might logged onto.

Xeke

Banned
TemplaerDude said:
you can log onto msn from numerous devices as well.

it just rightfully logs you off of any other device you might logged onto.

:lol

Right, unless you don't want to get logged off. If I'm at a friends house and want to check my buddy list without getting logged off at homee.

Xeke said:
:lol

Right, unless you don't want to get logged off.

god knows i've woken up in a cold sweat at night because i realized i can't be logged onto msn from my computer at home and portable device elsewhere at the same time.

man you guys can really over rate a useless feature with a couple laughing smilies. the more smilies you post, the most useless it is!

TemplaerDude said:
god knows i've woken up in a cold sweat at night because i realized i can't be logged onto msn from my computer at home and portable device elsewhere at the same time.

man you guys can really over rate a useless feature with a couple laughing smilies. the more smilies you post, the most useless it is!
okay, we'll just agree to disagree.

your useless feature is my often used feature, and i wish my family used am like my friends do.

Xeke

Banned
TemplaerDude said:

And you're great at not acknowledging a very useful feature for some reason or another.

Xeke said:
And you're great at not acknowledging a very useful feature for some reason or another.

OMFG I KNOW I JUST GOT LOGED OFF AT HOME SHIT NOW WHEN I GO HOME I'M GOING TO HAVE TO CLICK THE MOUSE ONE FUCKING TIME TO LOG BACK ON HOLY SHIT WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS ONE CLICK MAN WHAT THE FUCK DO THEY EXPECT OF ME

Xeke

Banned
TemplaerDude said:
OMFG I KNOW I JUST GOT LOGED OFF AT HOME SHIT NOW WHEN I GO HOME I'M GOING TO HAVE TO CLICK THE MOUSE ONE FUCKING TIME TO LOG BACK ON HOLY SHIT WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS ONE CLICK MAN WHAT THE FUCK DO THEY EXPECT OF ME

Okay dude, whatever. You seem like a really awesome person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom