• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube links blocked on MSN Messenger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jts

...hate me...
I'm surprised it doesn't change to Microsoft's equivalent of Youtube as you type.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Not working for me either. I really ought to start using Trillian.

Sean

Banned
It's annoying how much shit MSN blocks...

Any message with "download.php" in the URL does not go through for example.

aku:jiki

I'm not allowed to send YT links to my friend, but he can send them to me and he's not in Trillian or anything like that. wat.

Vai

Not working for me either. I'm in the UK.

Microsoft will be in a lot of trouble if this was done on purpose.

JonathanEx said:
It'll have been done on purpose, but they'll pretend it's a technical error.
How can they pretend something like that? Is it possible that by hassard all links with "utub" in them are blocked or something? :lol

Kritz

Banned
Huh. Well it seems they've stopped uk.youtube.com from working, but not youtube.co.uk.

They're not very good at this censorship thing.

Souldriver said:
How can they pretend something like that? Is it possible that by hassard all links with "utub" in them are blocked or something? :lol
Well, if it was on purpose (which is my guess, I wouldn't be surprised), they're really not going to want to make a statement going "yeah lol we have youtube", it'd be suicide. Internal malfunction of future technology is a good bullshit line.

DKnight said:
Everybody should come to gtalk
Google's strategy with Gtalk is idiotic. It's great that it's integrated in to Gmail and other products, but the large differences between the downloadable client and the web one... why does your browser version have more features?!

And I know they did the Google Talk Labs Edition, but that was just the browser version in an EXE wrapper... and so it was a step back in terms of usability, as people tend to use standalone IM programs and ones integrated in to websites differently. It didn't even have shit+enter for new line!

NekoFever

JonathanEx said:
Google's strategy with Gtalk is idiotic. It's great that it's integrated in to Gmail and other products, but the large differences between the downloadable client and the web one... why does your browser version have more features?!

And I know they did the Google Talk Labs Edition, but that was just the browser version in an EXE wrapper... and so it was a step back in terms of usability, as people tend to use standalone IM programs and ones integrated in to websites differently. It didn't even have shit+enter for new line!
GTalk is just XMPP/Jabber, an open-source protocol. Any one of the innumerable clients out there should work.

This is bullshit if it's true, and considering the number of YouTube links that get thrown around I hope there's a mass exodus from it. It already filters URLs with certain words in them (according to Wikipedia: ".info", "download.php", "gallery.php", "profile.php?", ".pif", ".scr" or ".script"), which is annoying and circumvented by some clients by encoding the URL in a certain way, but there's no reason to block YouTube unless you're suicidal or don't want everyone going to the competitor's site.

I like MSN better than AIM, but I use Adium so it doesn't make a lot of difference to me. A mass exodus to an open alternative wouldn't be a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom