• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube Removes Verification Status From ACG and Many Other Channels

Looks like Youtube is actively seeking to chase independent content creators from their platform, making it even more difficult for non-corporate creators to survive. We all know how skewed twitter's verification policy is, and this will make it harder for non-verified reviewers to be recognized by games publishers and developers.

As a gamer, I much prefer the content of smaller more personal Youtubers, rather than the sterile reviews of bigger more corporate media outlets. It seems like Youtube is more and more turning its back on the independent creators that used to make the platform what it is today. This new policy will only give more attention to the corporate media outlets, while hobby enthusiasts are relegated to the back-bench.

What this represents is another effort by Youtube to take control over their user-driven content and if their trending page is anything to go by, it's not gonna end well for independent creators. I don't want to see enthusiast creators driven out by the bigger media networks.

Not really seeing the issue. YouTube is a business run by business people. Just don't watch verified shit.

The problem is that they actively promote these checkmarks over the independent creators that many people prefer. Ever since that douche Maza caused that adpocalypse I have been getting all my recs from the likes of ABC News, MSNBC, CNN, Fox News, etc. I have to actually dig to find out if creators that I follow and like actually made a video on a subject. YouTube is really going to drive away its viewership if it continues down this path.

Katsura

Not really seeing the issue. YouTube is a business run by business people. Just don't watch verified shit.
The issue is this is just one part of a far larger plan to get rid of independent content creators in favor of corporate shit. Notice how those insufferable late night shows can get away with very spicy jokes that would get independents demonitized? Also, you have to see this in the light of the various recent leaks proving that Google is actively trying to influence elections and public opinion in general. By hiding or removing independent creators they can ensure that people will only be exposed to what ever opinions a small group of people decides are ok

Last edited:
What this represents is another effort by Youtube to take control over their user-driven content and if their trending page is anything to go by, it's not gonna end well for independent creators. I don't want to see enthusiast creators driven out by the bigger media networks.
The problem is that those "independent creators" are pretty much why I go on YT - they are not there there is no reason to go there.. my productivity will shoot up!

This violates what social networks were originally for - let everybody have a voice and whatever happens to be popular will come out on top in the recommendation engines (search, etc.) as that content has gained credibility.

A couple of years later they started by looking for ways to mitigate against SEO abuses (which made sense, you don't want your search results polluted by useless content that tries to sell you Russian wives and dick enlargement devices). I'm not sure how the rest goes, it went downhill from there, YouTube will soon be like cable television, completely useless short attention span content made by trained (indoctrinated) communications professionals.
You are right, however even for pure capitalists there re bad businesses and bad business practices - they had a tacit agreement with the independent creators on the platform, they keep changing the rules of the game for some strange and arbitrary reason, people lose their business or side income, or at the very least it gets damaged, all because the big guy decided to change the rules.

I get that a while ago they had some intellectual property problem, say what you will on how they handled it, something had to be done so the platform would be taken seriously, but we are at a completely different level here, what is supposed to be the voice of the people is just going to feed us Fox, CNN, MSNBC, the BBC, etc. and Joe Rogan still has his badge, so there is that.

I hope a good truly independent platform rises out of this.

Last edited:
Nah it goes away Oct early

Well hopefully this means there is time for them to address things the right way.

Or it just means that they are going to use the time to find the right "spin" to put on this. I have no faith that they will every get back to the "You" in YouTube.

These corporations must be giving Google a lot of money behind the scenes to promote their stuff. That is the only way they could offset the loss of viewership and content creators that they built their platform on.

zeorhymer

Or it just means that they are going to use the time to find the right "spin" to put on this. I have no faith that they will every get back to the "You" in YouTube.

These corporations must be giving Google a lot of money behind the scenes to promote their stuff. That is the only way they could offset the loss of viewership and content creators that they built their platform on.
It's all about the ad revenue. The less they dole out to independents, the more Google gets to keep. Gotta keep the big boys happy.

Helios

Aye, I'll believe what she's saying when I see it.
Also, this doesn't mean that they'll stop making bad decisions in the future to screw up smaller youtubers. They've done it in the past when there wasn't enough backlash.

Based. Terry Crews/ Ted Nugent for President!

source.gif

Yeah, this shit is legit insane. MXR Mods who makes amusing but informative videos about Skyrim mods (and fallout also) and has about 1.9 million subs has been unverified and had all his videos demonetized. Dudes been making content for 7 years. ... :messenger_dizzy:

How else are Vice, Kotaku and Polygon going to get more subs and views? Won't someone please think of the giant, evil mega-corporations?

I really think these companies must be pumping Google with funds to counter the loss of ad revenue from these demonetization campaigns.

Myths

It’s only a matter of time before a new, independent platform shows up to steal the spotlight. Yes, there are a few in the wild right now but they haven’t blown up quite yet.

History is the script to the play, time just repeats it by wording the same concept in different ways to us.

Why did this topic get the "drama" tag? It's more of a tragedy ;)
No, but seriously, it's not like we're gossiping here or fabricating silly interpersonal squabbles when Youtube is literally undermining the livelihood of its own independent content creators. Many of which are relevant to our hobby and the way how we perceive games.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

It blows my mind how they decided to remove verification of the well established youtube creators.

For a platform that has diverse content from so many creators, the people running Youtube sure look incompetent and out of touch with their own community.

Its no wonder their Youtube Rewind 2018 was voted the worst for shilling people that had nothing to do with making Youtube a great media platform.

MayauMiao

Why did this topic get the "drama" tag? It's more of a tragedy ;)
No, but seriously, it's not like we're gossiping here or fabricating silly interpersonal squabbles when Youtube is literally undermining the livelihood of its own independent content creators. Many of which are relevant to our hobby and the way how we perceive games.

Should have a new tag like 'Facepalm'.

Nah it goes away Oct early

It's gotta be for the big businesses and IGN, Gamespots, Giantbombs. Since they severely struggle with views, especially comparative to ACG. Yeah gamespot has more subscribers but your views to subscriber ratio per video is leagues better than the major media outlets.

The political angle doesn't make sense because you don't get into politics at all in your videos.

Hope this gets resolved because ACG is one of the best gaming channels on YT.

Dontero

Banned
Yeah gamespot has more subscribers but your views to subscriber ratio per video is leagues better than the major media outlets.

Ding ding ding.,

If you look at MSNBC etc videos they have barely any views. One Peterson video probably have more views than whole MSNBC channel.

Same with games.

So Indies (edit: YouTuber Independents and the Indie games they promote) are alt-right now?

Everything is alt-right these days.

Mass media is shit.

Last edited:

CrisPy2019

People like PewDiePie even tho I dislike him and others that already made aloooot of money should all turn their backs on YouTube. But for that you actually need to have a backbone and understand that $20million or whatever is enough money to have. I would start a new platform for real content creators. Without politics interfering and all that nonsense.

I would just do something good for the people that made me rich in the first place. The viewers.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
It’s only a matter of time before a new, independent platform shows up to steal the spotlight. Yes, there are a few in the wild right now but they haven’t blown up quite yet.

History is the script to the play, time just repeats it by wording the same concept in different ways to us.
The main reason for youtube not having serious competitors are the operating costs. Youtube is getting tons of views and uploads every minute. Even with aggressive ads it would be very hard to eventually stop the platform from losing money.

Last edited:
The main reason for youtube not having serious competitors are the operating costs. Youtube is getting tons of views and uploads every minute. Even with aggressive ads it would be very hard to eventually stop the platform from losing money.

I would be curious to see their operation costs between the technical logistics and what they pay talent overall.

Shagger

Banned
Another creator (Tara Bacbock) posted this to twitter. She was having these problems but it looks like YouTube is working to resolve them.

25kSbyl.jpg

Shai-Tan

Banned
Some of the outcry about this seems to be reading between the lines that it’s laying the groundwork to fudge search results in favor of big media. I haven’t seen any proof.

The worry is I guess that they are setting up a way to massage results by making some types of channels more authoritative via verification.

edit: we’re also assuming most of the traffic videos get is from related and search - I wonder how much is driven by off site links

Last edited:
Top Bottom