• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube stops showing the number of negative scores.

I have no strong opinion on this either way.

Is this forum not similar? There's no "dislike" option. I'm not saying there should or shouldn't be, just pointing it out.
I think it's different from your example. A dislike button would stifle discussion and lead to empty threads.

Besides, there are always ways to get creative with showing your dislike to posts here

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

Is this forum not similar? There's no "dislike" option. I'm not saying there should or shouldn't be, just pointing it out.
It's honestly useless like the thumbs up, serves only the algorithm and the ego of few frustrated ppl. Views and Watching time are already the best tool to rate a video, we don't want to listen to the opinions of a random user, especially when most opinions count less than the shit of a doggo anyway. If it was for me I'd be removing even the thumbs up and the comments. For a better world.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

shocked gif laughing GIF

MiguelItUp

I don't think it's a big deal. I mean, yeah, it was a good way for viewers to tell the creator they were unhappy with what they saw. However, while there were times it was being used well. There were also times it was being abused. Just like what we've seen with review bombing, and other similar things.

Just another example of why we can't have nice things, really.

Besides, it sounds like the creator can toggle it on or off?

Last edited:

Miles708

Agree with people saying this is for the big ad spenders. Uncontrollable negativity or trolling is bad marketing.

I could say this is not that bad of a move, but it's an indication of a general trend that can only point towards censorship and increasingly moderated content.

Internet will soon be a 50's "american nuclear family" ad, 24/7. Joy.

Mithos

Now i'm going to login on all 40 of my google accounts and downvote all videos 40 times instead of just once. :devilish:

Last edited:

MaDBrute

Banned
well see they are censoring everything else. Most if not all cannot say how they really feel on posts or the hammer comes down.
Yup, only be positive, sell sell sell, everyone that criticises our product is toxic and entilted, sell sell sell.
Snowflakes are a fart in the wind compare to Marketing and the advertisement industry

Simple_respond

Neo Member
Yup, only be positive, sell sell sell, everyone that criticises our product is toxic and entilted, sell sell sell.
Snowflakes are a fart in the wind compare to Marketing and the advertisement industry
without criticism you can never get better. Without (positive) negative feedback how can you grow? Its a one track "mind". How can you create something magnificent and one of a kind without someone saying " nope not good enough". yes from what i read the creators see them, but I still see it at one sided.

nkarafo

Seriously, fuck Youtube. They do everything to cater to shit like Disney and Star Wars. There's need to be an alternative.

ZywyPL

Banned

There's "LOL" emoji whenever you wanna laugh at someones bullshit. And there's also the ignore button if you really dislike what someone is saying.

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]

The "dislike" option has been replace by the emojis. So that's a win in my opinion.

wipeout364

This is actually if I had to guess coming from big corporate companies who get review bombed (High ratio of down votes to upvotes) for posting stupid pandering videos. They likely are paying YouTube to have their their videos moved high up in the what to watch algorithm and don’t want negative votes associated with their paid advertisement.

Last edited:

nkarafo

If you can't see the ratio between like/dislike then what's the point in just having the number of likes visible? It really doesn't say anything. "Hey look, 500 likes!" Yeah but you can't see the 10.000 dislikes so what does that mean? That a bunch of people like this? Well no shit.

Also, creators could already remove the like/dislike ratio in their videos if they wanted.

So this achieves nothing other than having just the likes visible, painting a false picture and making corporate videos (that the vast majority of people dislike) look good.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

This isn't testing, more like slowly introducing the 'feature' like they've done with other controversial features in the past. Honestly I'm surprised how long it's taken them to remove downvoting since everything has to spread a positive message and be non-offensive these days. The only thing we can do is to avoid sharing, commenting and watching in full videos deserving to be downvoted so that they don't gain a lot of watch time and the algorithms don't push them to more recommended feeds.

Last edited:
I was expecting this. I noticed recently that every news video we get about covid from official channels like BBC and sky news had massive dislike ratios. I knew something would be done about it.

Md Ray

Strange, on my end i still have both visible. Did they change their mind?
No, Mr. Shalad... Like YouTube said on their twitter in post #2, "if you're a part of this experiment, you might spot one of these designs in the coming weeks".

It looks like you and I are not a part of this experiment (yet).

Last edited:

KiNeMz

Banned
Someone has to create a website called "dislike.com". Everyone who wants to dislike a YouTube video shares it to this site. Then we can see the count.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Cant wait for DIY videos hiding the dislikes and making people do dumb shit that could potentially harm others or themselves.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Another victory for Snowflake society.

Well done for participating, everyone's a winner. No tears, only dreams.

Not sure how and when this all ends but it's going to be interesting to witness. Probably going to get a lot worse before it gets better though.

I understand why you and others hate this move, but there's good reason to do this. The amount of hate and vile that's on the internet is incredible. To some degree it is just too much. And it's not like every social media site has thumbs down or down voting. Instagram doesn't have an "F-You" button for instance.

GHG

Gold Member
I understand why you and others hate this move, but there's good reason to do this. The amount of hate and vile that's on the internet is incredible. To some degree it is just too much. And it's not like every social media site has thumbs down or down voting. Instagram doesn't have an "F-You" button for instance.

People not liking things and other people for whatever reason is a fact of life.

Just like there's a lot of negativity on the Internet there is also a lot of positivity, it's impossible to have one without the other. If someone decides to focus in on the negatives rather than the positives then recalibration is in order.

If you tell me that some people go overboard with their criticism and negativity (e.g. When it gets personal and violence is talked about) then yes, I agree with you but a dislike button isn't that. There is a discussion to be had around conduct on social media and whether some people would benefit from some kind of "education" around how to express themselves online, but saying "no negativity allowed at all" doesn't fix the deeper issues we witness.

From the other side I don't understand the mindset that you can put yourself out there in the world in any circumstance (whether on the Internet or just in public in general) and not be open to criticism or even people being negative towards you. Some people will be more negative and critical than others (and like mentioned above some overly so) however as with anything people need to be realistic. You cannot control the actions of other people, you cannot control the thoughts of your audience, all you can do is decide how to conduct yourself and what you allow to affect you. Being able to both take and give positive and negative feedback is an important aspect of our society, it's how we grow both individually and collectively. If you entirely remove (or suppress) one side of the feedback loop then how do those who need to be challenged or those who need to improve/change get the necessary feedback?

Removing a dislike button is peak coddling. This level of policing for thought and expression online only puts us further on the road to nowhere.

Yeah, it’s pretty silly. I guess it’s kind of like hiding your loses in a fighting or multiplayer game while only showing your victories to boost your ego or for more positive energy. You and others might think you are a good player with your 1000 wins, but people don’t see that you lost 11,000 times though which is an entirely different issue in itself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom