• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube stops showing the number of negative scores.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Not being glib here, but I legitimately thought this happened like two months ago. Like the "trial phase," or whatever? Is there a glitch in the Matrix or something?

Bakkus

We should be afraid, very afraid. Admiration for Gitmo on the slimy parts of YouTube amounts to publicly endorsing concentration camps.
Youtube is in perfect line with Facebook, Twitter, every single major company, most "news" channels/papers to silence dissent. I know we aren't allowed to discuss politics here anymore, so I'll leave it at that.

ZoukGalaxy

Another victory for Snowflake society.

Well done for participating, everyone's a winner. No tears, only dreams.

Not sure how and when this all ends but it's going to be interesting to witness. Probably going to get a lot worse before it gets better though.
This.

Welcome to the world where everything is beautiful., everybody is so nice with others. There is no poor country, earth is a paradise.
Life is also so easy, that's well known.

FUCK. YOUTUBE.

Gratitude Begrateful GIF by HuMandalas

mckmas8808

Banned
I often get 'thoughtful' here. Most of the times I think the person doing it is being at least somewhat ironic.

I think your post and the other one by Fake Fake are now displaying how adding buttons and a forum or social media app can be misleading. I would have never thought to use the "thoughtful" button in a sarcastic or ironic way. It defeats the purpose of the button.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I think your post and the other one by Fake Fake are now displaying how adding buttons and a forum or social media app can be misleading. I would have never thought to use the "thoughtful" button in a sarcastic or ironic way. It defeats the purpose of the button.

It's more an illustration of how people misinterpret things based upon their own self esteem/mirroring of how they react to things. If you didn't think it could be used sarcastically, that means you yourself have never used it in such a way. Same with a dislike button. Hiding it is pretty much confirmation bias that people don't actually dislike or disagree with your content, they're really bigoted misogynistic lolcow hate mongers who want you to kill yourself. If they weren't doing this to curb imaginary harassment, the fair thing would be to hide likes AND dislikes. I mean, they're available to content creators? Seeing how many people like your shit publicly is every bit as pointless as seeing how many dislike it, if we're going on that train of thought.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
It's more an illustration of how people misinterpret things based upon their own self esteem/mirroring of how they react to things. If you didn't think it could be used sarcastically, that means you yourself have never used it in such a way. Same with a dislike button. Hiding it is pretty much confirmation bias that people don't actually dislike or disagree with your content, they're really bigoted misogynistic lolcow hate mongers who want you to kill yourself. If they weren't doing this to curb imaginary harassment, the fair thing would be to hide likes AND dislikes. I mean, they're available to content creators? Seeing how many people like your shit publicly is every bit as pointless as seeing how many dislike it, if we're going on that train of thought.

I think you aren't thinking about it from a "corporate" standpoint with advertisers. Ad companies and Marketing teams more than likely LOVE this move. It's probably more that, than changing it for content creators and normal users.

theclaw135

Banned
Youtube is in perfect line with Facebook, Twitter, every single major company, most "news" channels/papers to silence dissent. I know we aren't allowed to discuss politics here anymore, so I'll leave it at that.

I was more referring to the disturbing users infesting even "mainstream" sites like those. Yeah I won't discuss it here.

Good. I don't see the need for it to be visible. I can see potential benefits of this and zero drawbacks. Honestly, what downsides do you all see?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I think you aren't thinking about it from a "corporate" standpoint with advertisers. Ad companies and Marketing teams more than likely LOVE this move. It's probably more that, than changing it for content creators and normal users.

Quite possibly. Marketing is probably one of my blindspots, especially with streaming services, I tend to just go at it from the consumer standpoint.

(That was a genuine 'thoughtful'!)

Mozzarella

Youtube is turning into shit lately, sometimes you engage in argument with people and after you write a long wall of text explaining everything properly thinking you owned that guy, then there's no response, i mean what happened right? you log out of your account and go to the comments only to notice that your comment didnt actually appear, i mean what the fuck? the problem is they censor certain words, but those words have expanded recently, nowadays regular words may get censored and get your comment deleted, anything can be offensive these days, so the platform itself is garbage for arguing or anything, its just becoming a platform for makeup and outfit videos, cat and dogs videos, and some music. Shame, old youtube was awesome. We need good alternative.

Last edited:

Fake

To be honest, this is pretty much for advertisers and probably they are the person who requested.

TonyK

I think this is problematic because I check the positive negative thumbs ratio to easily know if a tutorial for fixing some windows/program/game bug is helpful or useless. Do I need now to see the whole video, test the potential fix and discover for myself is bullshit?

G Boaty

Banned
I think this is problematic because I check the positive negative thumbs ratio to easily know if a tutorial for fixing some windows/program/game bug is helpful or useless. Do I need now to see the whole video, test the potential fix and discover for myself is bullshit?

Check the comments

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Been on youtube since 2006. It changes every few years. I'm used to it. My response to this news is a solid "whatever".

Who here remembers 10 minute video limits? lol

Youtube is turning into shit lately, sometimes you engage in argument with people and after you write a long wall of text explaining everything properly thinking you owned that guy, then there's no response, i mean what happened right? you log out of your account and go to the comments only to notice that your comment didnt actually appear, i mean what the fuck? the problem is they censor certain words, but those words have expanded recently, nowadays regular words may get censored and get your comment deleted, anything can be offensive these days, so the platform itself is garbage for arguing or anything, its just becoming a platform for makeup and outfit videos, cat and dogs videos, and some music. Shame, old youtube was awesome. We need good alternative.

Why the fuck you commenting on youtube videos

G Boaty

Banned
No, those they'll just curate. One step at a time though.
that’s never gonna happen lol. The amount of manpower required to curate every comment posted on YouTube is unfathomable.

literally never gonna happen.

people will always find a way to speak whats on their mind, no matter how much these retarded companies try to censor everyone.
No one is being censored. They can still leave negative comments as much as they want.

Last edited:

G Boaty

Banned
people who only voted on videos and never commented are being censored.
No they’re not because they can still comment. Censorship is the prevention of making a point or voicing your opinion. Literally no one is censored by this.

person: I’m being censored!
YouTube: leave a comment instead if you care that much about getting your opinion across to other prople
Person: no

that’s not censorship hahahaha

Last edited:

Singular7

The Biden videos were getting 1:1000000 negativity.

Netflix did the same thing YEARS ago, by removing downvotes, since all of the Amy Schumer ultra-lib stuff was downvoted to oblivion.

Interesting times, the corporations control thoughts. "they" know that people collectively basically understand lies, so they have to prevent the collective from seeing it, and impose this "peer shaming" system to cover it up.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Remembering this place during less peaceful times, i can understand if struggling YouTubers (you know, not the ones we watch) would complain if random trolls came by to mess with them.

Ehhh but i don't agree with this. I think it's valid to downvote a video, maybe they could just tweak their algorithm to identify when dislike numbers are out of wack with minutes viewed, or something like that

Excess

I'm more concerned with "The Network Effect", where one company controls a particular market of social media, and the barrier of entry is fucking nil for any competition.

We've never been faced with this before. Not even the courts want to touch it, nor can they even provide a remedy. And good luck getting legislation passed. The Technocratic Corporate future is here. These are now the nations of the world. These are our new temples of worship.

*Cue loud WAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH sound effect*

lu9egq7fmq351.jpg

O-N-E

Seriously though, one of the big reasons this makes youtube much less usable is that a lot of people look for tutorials on that platform and rely on the like/dislike ratio to tell them if the tutorial could actually be useful to them.

Now this'll lead to a bunch of time being wasted on watching through shit tuts. Destroys a large part of the user experience.

Seriously though, one of the big reasons this makes youtube much less usable is that a lot of people look for tutorials on that platform and rely on the like/dislike ratio to tell them if the tutorial could actually be useful to them.

Now this'll lead to a bunch of time being wasted on watching through shit tuts. Destroys a large part of the user experience.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Now I have look at the comments to see if a video is helpful and we all know how helpful youtube comments are.

onQ123

Another victory for Snowflake society.

Well done for participating, everyone's a winner. No tears, only dreams.

Not sure how and when this all ends but it's going to be interesting to witness. Probably going to get a lot worse before it gets better though.
Actually the people who flood videos with dislikes as part of a group without watching the videos are the snowflakes

G Boaty

Banned
Actually the people who flood videos with dislikes as part of a group without watching the videos are the snowflakes
I would also argue that the people getting mad and crying “censorship!” Over this are the most delicate of snowflakes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom