• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

News YouTube Suspends Trump’s Account

ManofOne

Plus Member
Nov 4, 2020
YouTube is suspending President Donald Trump's channel for at least one week, and potentially longer, after his channel earned a strike under the platform's policies, the company said Tuesday evening.
A recent video on Trump's channel had incited violence, YouTube told CNN Business. That video has now been removed.

YouTube declined to share details of the video that earned Trump the strike, but said that after the one-week timeout, it will revisit the decision. YouTube also removed content from the White House's channel for violating policy, the company told CNN Business, but the channel itself has not been suspended or been given a strike -- just a warning.

Until now, YouTube had been the only remaining major social media platform not to have suspended Trump in some fashion. Facebook has suspended Trump's account "indefinitely," while Twitter has banned Trump completely.

"After careful review, and in light of concerns about the ongoing potential for violence, we removed new content uploaded to the Donald J. Trump channel and issued a strike for violating our policies for inciting violence," a YouTube spokesperson said in a statement. "As a result, in accordance with our long-standing strikes system, the channel is now prevented from uploading new videos or livestreams for a minimum of seven days—which may be extended."

YouTube also said it will be taking the extra step of disabling comments underneath videos on Trump's channel.
Under YouTube's policies, earning a second strike will result in a two-week suspension and three strikes will result in a permanent ban.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/12/tech/youtube-trump-suspension/index.html

Last edited:
Reactions: OnionSnake

ManofOne

Plus Member
Nov 4, 2020
Americans, give me a quick lesson on American history

Who was the last president that was as hated and vilified by the popular media/sphere, as Trump?

Probably?

TheContact

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2016
Disabling comments on all his videos seems a bit much?

if youtube strikes you down for policy violations, you can't upload any videos for 7 days and comments are disabled. that's their ToS, not specific to trump. if you have 3 violations in 90 days you get permed

Reactions: BeardGawd

Poop!

Nov 21, 2014

Who was the last president that was as hated and vilified by the popular media/sphere, as Trump?

Reactions: Bitmap Frogs

BeardGawd

Dec 16, 2019
if youtube strikes you down for policy violations, you can't upload any videos for 7 days and comments are disabled. that's their ToS, not specific to trump. if you have 3 violations in 90 days you get permed
Ah gotcha the article stating "extra step" threw me off.

Well atleast this appears to only be for a week but I don't have much confidence that Google will oppose the mob if they kick up enough fuss.

Apr 19, 2019
Away with the fairies
No way man. Obama was universally loved for the vast majority of his time in power. He went whackadoodle around 2016.

I was thinking Bush W, after the wars, 9/11, patriot act etc, but the media and people just laughed at him for his gaffes, he was never really hated. Nowhere near Trumps level

Reactions: DeeDogg_

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA

Obama was pretty reviled by the right. Bush was widely mocked & ridiculed. On they on-par with Trump? It depends on whether or not you like the politician to for an assessment like this to be fair. There's too much room for subjectivity to get a true response.

Early 1900s and previous had tons of negative press about politicians without any real info to back it up:

Overall, we're still better off than we were back then. However, we're currently in a race to the bottom so this may change.

DeeDogg_

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
earth
No way man. Obama was universally loved for the vast majority of his time in power. He went whackadoodle around 2016.

I was thinking Bush W, after the wars, 9/11, patriot act etc, but the media and people just laughed at him for his gaffes, he was never really hated. Nowhere near Trumps level
Which is fucking ludicrous. A man that literally is to blame for countless deaths of innocents in a war instigated by his administration

Goes to show how stupid our world is and hour corrupt and morally fucked our media and government is

Apr 19, 2019
Away with the fairies
Obama was pretty reviled by the right. Bush was widely mocked & ridiculed. On they on-par with Trump? It depends on whether or not you like the politician to for an assessment like this to be fair. There's too much room for subjectivity to get a true response.

Early 1900s and previous had tons of negative press about politicians without any real info to back it up:

Overall, we're still better off than we were back then. However, we're currently in a race to the bottom so this may change.

I appreciate that it's subjective but the answer just clicked in my mind; Nixon. Forced to resign because "i am not a crook", but i am resigning.
Which is fucking ludicrous. A man that literally is to blame for countless deaths of innocents in a war instigated by his administration

Goes to show how stupid our world is and hour corrupt and morally fucked our media and government is
Charisma and rhetoric. I fell for it and i'm not even American!. I thought Obama's mantra of change was true, i thought he was going to end the mid-east wars and bring peace and prosperity. Obama is buyers remorse personified.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007

There wasn't one, mainly because the organization of the mainstream media into the propaganda arm of the Democrats is a relatively recent thing. They've certainly disliked presidents in the past, but the systemic adoration of Obama/hatred of Trump are relatively new things.

Maybe Nixon? I was a toddler back then, so do not recall.

People are saying Bush but Bush was mostly disliked/disrespected. The hatred was reserved for the people behind Bush that people thought were pulling the strings, like Rove and Cheney.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Nov 4, 2020
There wasn't one, mainly because the organization of the mainstream media into the propaganda arm of the Democrats is a relatively recent thing. They've certainly disliked presidents in the past, but the systemic adoration of Obama/hatred of Trump are relatively new things.

Nixon was still pretty much adored by the media till Watergate. Objectivity and ethical journalism were still well practiced.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
Nixon was still pretty much adored by the media till Watergate. Objectivity and ethical journalism were still well practiced.

not gonna pretend I know what it was like back then, but from what I've read, Nixon was actually a great President until Watergate. His paranoia got to him and made a huge mistake when under pressure.

Apr 19, 2019
Away with the fairies

People are saying Bush but Bush was mostly disliked/disrespected. The hatred was reserved for the people behind Bush that people thought were pulling the strings, like Rove and Cheney.
I think Nixon. Reading about it, it looks like he was very unpopular and disliked, even after he left office. Edit : after watergate.

Good point on Bush. He was the jester to be laughed at, his puppet masters were the bastards.

Last edited:

CAB_Life

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2019
Toronto
christianadrianbrown.com
It's pretty wild how either apathetic or celebratory so many people are about this--here and elsewhere. I can't think of a world leader in recent memory who has been so effectively silenced by external, privately owned and ideologically-driven corporations.

While I'm not a Trumper, one day the shoe will quite likely be on the other foot, and those of you who cheerleaded this kind of authoritarianism and pariahism won't be cheering then.

FunkMiller

Aug 14, 2014
They are going to make his life miserable even after office. Basically they’re telling all outsiders don’t bother fucking with the establishment inciting people to storm the capitol because this is what will happen.

FTFY.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Sep 29, 2014
It's time for regulation and to start breaking these companies up.

It's also worth asking how they got so big in the first place.
When you start playing a Ponzi scheme with the fed and stock markets to dump excess cash into markets as a method of easing inflation, corporations gain access to vast amounts of capital allowing them to monopolize their industries. Twitter’s revenue is ~10% of its Market Cap. It’s fucking bonkers that a company is that valuable to the market with so little revenue and shows just how far off the rails shareholder capitalism is these days.

FreedomOfSpeech

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2019
All this canceling.

It will show who was into politics for politics' sake and who was just there for entertainment.