• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube Updates Copyright-Reporting System to Make It Easier for Creators to Manage Claims

Mista

Banned
youtube-logo.jpg

Effective as of July 9, YouTube requires copyright owners to provide timestamps for all new manual Content ID claims. That’s designed to let creators know exactly which part of their video is being claimed. The new policy applies to manually submitted copyright-infringement claims under YouTube’s Content ID system, as opposed to videos that are automatically flagged by content-matching algorithms.

YouTube said in a blog post that it’s going to be vigilant about policing false claims:
“We’ll be evaluating the accuracy of these timestamps. Copyright owners who repeatedly fail to provide accurate data will have their access to manual claiming revoked.”

YouTube also introduced new editing tools to remove manually claimed content in videos, which will automatically release the claim. Those are “Mute Song,” which will let a creator simply mute the audio in the time-stamped segment that is being claimed for infringement, and “Replace Song,” which lets creators swap out the music with one of the free-to-use songs from the YouTube Audio Library.

Another feature YouTube is still working on is an improved Trim feature, which will add an option built into YouTube Studio’s Copyright Info page that will let creators snip out claimed content with just one click.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Hopefully this helps give some control back to creators and lessens the power in the hands of huge corporations. But YouTube has some work to do to show they aren't just on the side of those corporations.
I don't see this applying to many of the BS claims I hear about. Besides that, copyright holders should not given all income from a video because of a few seconds of use of their content. The uploaders have copy rights too.

Top Bottom