• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube won't let you use the old layout anymore

brap

Banned
They're forcing everybody to use the shitty new layout even though it looks like dogshit.

1YcYr2P.png

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
In the history of forced updates, I mean all of them for any service use, I have never liked the new version better. Even going back to the early 2000s. Not once!
Same here pretty much but I can’t remember any examples where I didn’t adjust to it.

MetalAlien

Banned
Same here pretty much but I can’t remember any examples where I didn’t adjust to it.
Almost every one was just to make it easier to place targeted ads to the end user. Maybe fix a security hole here and there. Youtube updates have been horrible for the most part once it went commercial. First thing to get rid of was the star rating because people like me would give commercial videos one star.

I can't tell because I'm stuck to my phone using the app.

I have noticed Youtube has been working like shit at least the past couple of weeks.

Last edited:
God damnit, I saw it started appearing yesterday. I don't what I'll do. I just can't deal with the new version.
Everything is so huge. The old layout is so much more better.

xrnzaaas

I can't remember the last time that I found a site layout change to be something positive. In most cases it's designed more for mobile browsing (I'm on a desktop for 80% of the time), features too much scrolling and takes more clicks to get to the content I'm interested in. Even my goddamn bank changed the layout for a very simply & easy to use to an overcomplicated one with idiotic stuff like earning achievements.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
It's not brah. Just look at it. The difference is staggering.

spacious_50.jpg

shit_50.jpg
Everyone has their own opinion but I've been using it for a while and I think it feels cleaner and less cluttered. The main difference is just two fewer videos per row anyway. I also like how it now scales the thumbnails up to match your window size, so you don't end up looking at a bunch of tiny images.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
It's not brah. Just look at it. The difference is staggering.

spacious_50.jpg

shit_50.jpg

I do not see a "staggering" difference here. I see less thumbnails at a larger size, less items in left side list. But it's basically the same. All main functionality still there. How will we go on.

I do not see a "staggering" difference here. I see less thumbnails at a larger size, less items in left side list. But it's basically the same. All main functionality still there. How will we go on.
The old layout has more then 20 videos shown without scrolling down.
The new one has like, 6.
How is having less videos without scrolling better?
And why do the thumbnails are so damn huge? I honestly don't see the point in it.

Nymphae

Banned
The old layout has more then 20 videos shown without scrolling down.
The new one has like, 6.
How is having less videos without scrolling better?
And why do the thumbnails are so damn huge? I honestly don't see the point in it.

I agree, the difference was staggering and I had to sit down when I first saw it.

Edit: A little more seriously, yeah I don't understand the move either really, perhaps it's just to better display thumbnails, have fewer things on screen but are more legible and easy to parse. But for my money it looks almost exactly the same as it used to. My usage for Youtube is not dependant on their front page layout anyway, you guys seriously use their curation? 100% of the time I go there, I am clicking on a name from my left side sub list, and browsing their new videos from their individual pages.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
All websites are designed for phone users now. Dumbed down for giant fingers

Those of us still rocking a PC and screen have to endure it.

I noticed this earlier. I initially switched from Brave to Firefox so I could use the old layout.

Fucking idiots constantly trying to fix what isn't broken.

Dark Star

Yeah I noticed it yesterday as well. For me, it was my personal playlist being moved to the bottom, blocking the comments and suggested videos further down the screen, too much scrolling.

Quick fix is CTRL + (minus, - key). Everything shifted back to the right side.

Last edited:

Katsura

Is indeed a shit design. Reminds me the new twitter. Glad firefox have some add-ons
I don't use FF much but aren't those extensions just setting the cookie that youtube will be disabling? In that case, the extensions wont do anything

Fake

I don't use FF much but aren't those extensions just setting the cookie that youtube will be disabling? In that case, the extensions wont do anything
Yeah, but they're forced for sometime so I glad could re-used the old. Twitter at least leave me using the old version.

the new design is obviously made for mobile.

Trying to reinvent the wheel is youtube's thing because it keeps the job's of useless people.

All websites are designed for phone users now. Dumbed down for giant fingers

Those of us still rocking a PC and screen have to endure it.

Whenever possible I switch to desktop layouts on web pages when I'm on my phone. I'm doing my part to slow the tide! I think?

Saber

Gold Member
It wouldn't be much of bother, if the new version wasn't an annoying piece of crap. It ruins my watching more than it helps.

I got very annoyed when I wanted to add playlists to my own but couldn't. But you actually can by adding &disable_polymer=true at the end of a playlist address.

Top Bottom