• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtuber Hbomberguy dismisses and gaslights an employee

https://www.reddit.com/r/LateStageC...left_mods_response_to_hbomberguy_revelations/

It has been revealed in the past day that Hbomberguy, a Youtuber popular among the left sphere, recently released an apology about his behavior with regards to a person who was seriously uncomfortable with the actions of a producer on his videos, who was also a mod on his personal discord. Much of this on the surface seemed fairly sufficient, and many members of our mod teams at first glance thought that this was a proper self-criticism. When further context came out such as skype logs and images from his own discord, it was made abundantly clear that this was not an apology, but in fact a cover and an unwillingness to be held accountable for his behavior, whether intentional or not. (We want to add that intention is irrelevant here, because ppl come out with "his heart's in the right place" bs that we really want to avoid.)

We will be provide links to provide further context so you can judge for yourself, but the short and simple of it is that Hbomberguy refused to believe a person who is a rape survivor when he came up to Hbomb about the fact that a close friend of Hbomberguy, also serving on his production and mod team, had in 2011 made innapropriate harrassing and rapey comments towards this person. It was also acknowledged that the person in question was perceived as being "creepy" by his and Hbomberguy's female friends and fans in the live streams he participated in. Hbomberguy even shows that he knew on some level his response was wrong, but he then later said things that effectively gaslighted this person and called into question their own memory and perception of the accused party. Hbomberguy, instead of taking the time to listen to what the person had to say about his friend and keep an open mind, casted doubt about their whole experience because he didn't want to believe that his friend was sexist and a creep despite the clear evidence to the contrary.

The person had tried to originally post the details on another subreddit where the discussion could be constructive, but the mods turned it down, so he posted this on his tumblr because he had no other choice and this revelation needed to be heard and acknowledged. After it was public, people and fans got angry and had questions, so Hbomberguy responded with an apology.

After Hbomberguy released his apology on tumblr, the person released another post revealing how Hbomb's apology was not only terribly insufficient, but actually was an attempt to cover his image. Much of the discord evidence revealed the mod team to be incapable of handling a situation where someone is uncomfortable with a production member/mod's behavior. Instead of ripping the bandaid and explaining publicly to his users and fans why what he did was wrong and what he will do to rectify it, he instead tried to shut down any discussion and further casts doubt over this person's experience. Furthermore, H went as far as to claim that this person's Skype logs were faked and altered in order to further shut down discussion and avoid having to properly confront his behavior.

It should be made clear that this is NOT how you handle a case where someone has an issue with any member of your circle's behavior, much less a mod and production team member. What this shows is Hbomberguy clearly does not know how to go about handling situations like this, and in a great demonstration of irony, he actively tried to manipulate the situation and perpetuate the same culture that his very videos critique. This shows a basic and fundamental misunderstanding of what fighting against patriarchal relations is about.

Can a mod fix the title of thread? I hit enter on accident. It should say dismisses harassment claims and gaslights employee. Or just put Milkshake Duck

Anung

Un Rama
This is really not a good look for him and trying to shutdown discussion will (obviously) lead to the Streisand effect.

Edit: maybe not then since this happened a while ago. Still makes him look like a twat.

L Thammy

Saw mention of this in the other thread. Yikes. Wasn't one of the reasons people like Hbomberguy because he's vocal against this stuff?

This is really not a good look for him and trying to shutdown discussion will (obviously) lead to the Streisand effect.

Every time, I can't believe that some people don't know how it works by now. It's all been screencapped and can just be discussed on other platforms that they can't silence with the added fuel to the fire that they tried to silence it. Hbomberguy, your really stupid.

Saw mention of this in the other thread. Yikes. Wasn't one of the reasons people like Hbomberguy because he's vocal against this stuff?

I liked his social justice content. It was smart, funny and informative.

This happened 6 months ago, did you just miss it or?

Whoops, saw it was just posted in the Milkshake Duck thread and assumed it was a new development.

Still really disappointed.

Kthulhu

What the hell?

He's probably one of the last people I'd expect to do this. I can understand not wanting to believe a close friend is capable of doing something like this and denying it, but trying to cover that up is a whole different story.

Edit: maybe not then since this happened a while ago. Still makes him look like a twat.

It does not matter how long ago it was, just look at Harvey Weinstein. This is a super hot movement right now and we need to be on it to support victims and stamp out burying thier stories through censorship.

Might just be me but none of the links they provide on the Reddit post work. Anyone else getting this?

IIRC the Tumblr posts in question were deleted a week or so after when discussion about this was still taking place.

Like there's more information from stuff hbomb and others have said since, and discussions that people have posted snippets of on Twitter and stuff.

I'm not really up to date on it though, I don't watch hbomb as much as I used to.

dicksweredinner's tumblr is down, it seems, but you can find an archive of something related.
http://archive.is/tfn53

This is still up.
http://hbomberguy.tumblr.com/post/159210444691/an-apology

Thanks for that.

Some things in the post do feel a bit he said she said, but I agree the issue should have been addressed and his apology doesn't help matters.

Considering his platform and the critique he offers in his videos, he should have handled this better. Stamping down on discussion and implying the victim might be wrong, does nothing but reflect badly on him. Even if it was a mod that shutdown the threads it still reflects on him.

You could argue that this isn't about him and he isn't required to do anything. His friend is the accused in all this after all. Not him.

That all changed the moment he attempted to shit this down. I don't know his reason, but all it does is make it look like he is defending perpetrator of sexual assault. He should have come out condemning it

Toxi

Banned
Most of the links in that post lead to a dead tumblr URL. Are there backups?

Edit: Whoops, this is why I should read the thread.

Anung

Un Rama
It does not matter how long ago it was, just look at Harvey Weinstein. This is a super hot movement right now and we need to be on it to support victims and stamp out burying thier stories through censorship.

Oh for sure. I'm just suprised it didn't gain more traction when it happened. I guess Hbomberguy's attempt to hush things up worked to a degree.

Top Bottom