• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTuber Makes 'World's First Retractable Plasma-Based Lightsaber'

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
resize

Try to contain yourselves, Star Wars fans - a YouTuber has created the 'world's first plasma-based retractable lightsaber'. You can see how he did it here:

Any self-respecting Star Wars enthusiast has dreamt of owning their very own lightsaber, but sadly for most of us, the closest we've ever got is one of those plastic ones, which are in essence just neon sticks.

But YouTuber James Hobson has made numerous valiant efforts to create a 'real' lightsaber, and his latest bid is his best yet.

Sharing his methodology on his YouTube channel 'The Hacksmith' - which has more than 10 million subscribers - he said: "How the heck do you build a plasma-based lightsaber?

"Well, theories say that plasma is best held in a beam by a magnetic field, which, scientifically, checks out.

"The issue is producing a strong enough electro-magnetic field to contain a blade. Well, the lightsaber would have to be quite literally built inside a box coated in electromagnets, which turns it into a kind of useless science project."

To get around this, the former engineer and product developer used liquid petroleum gas (LPG) as a fuel, which is mixed with oxygen and turned into a superheated beam.

Unlike previous attempts, this means the lightsaber doesn't have a metal rod at its core, which makes it less like a sword or a glorified stick. Plus, it can be retracted and still packs the punch to cut through a sheet of steel, burning at 2,200°C.

Hobson is able to change the colour of the beam too by adding different chemicals, with sodium chloride turning the beam yellow, boric acid turning it green, strontium chloride turning it red and calcium chloride turning it amber.

The main way in which the lightsaber differs from those wielded by Obi-Wan Kenobi and the rest of the gang is that it relies on a custom-built backpack to carry the LPG, as Hobson said a backpackless version would require unfeasibly powerful batteries.

Maybe one day though, when the force is with us - and our batteries.

That's awesome. It's always cool seeing people turn things from games and movies into real world items.

this pretty amazing. you could do some insane damage with that tho. 4000 degrees. whooo boy

love the needlessly ornate steampunk stylings. just that power pack alone looks cool af.
Makes it look much cooler.

TheMan

It’s a giant blowtorch but at least we’re getting much closer to the real thing with this.

Yeah apparently there's not a ton of novelty here but it still looks cool, and all thing considered, in the real world this is probably as close as we'll ever get

Codes 208

I feel like I’ve seen this before, but it may have been a more archaic version as the one I saw wasn’t retractable. Instead he used a special metal rod tht would ionize and create a stationary current which was still pretty badass

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit... I didn't expect it to look that cool.

That's cool and all, but they should be wearing welding masks and suits. This is basically a propane welding system. If you can feel pain looking at a light source, there is already eye damage occuring. And if a piece of that melting titanium got knocked off at the wrong angle. . .

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Not a bad piece of design and engineering. Props.

I love how in the information era there is a monetary incentive to just do cool, random, shit, because people on Youtube will pay you to go nuts.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Not sure why would you look at that without glasses, however yeah it's pretty cool, after all these light sabres can be seen in oxy-fuel welding/cutting...

Fbh

We now need a "the VERY old republic" saga where both Jedi and Sith run around with propane cylinders on their back

But yeah, pretty awesome.
Way cooler than that other "lightsaber" which was basically just a hot metal rod.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Test video is less impressive. The blade is usually very short. Looks to be constantly wavering.

Last edited:

Burger

How many ads can you fit in one video.

*edit: Wait not just ads, a patreon as well as a youtube membership program! Christ.

Last edited:

T.v

It's just an off the shelf blowtorch with a fancy handle. Now I'm not saying blowtorches aren't fun to play around with, but a lightsaber it ain't.

Top Bottom