• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTuber Spends Nearly $23K Buying Every 3DS & Wii U eShop Game

Draugoth

Gold Member
The 3DS and Wii U eShop services are shutting down at the end of this month and that means you've only got so much time left to buy all of the digital games you possibly can on Nintendo's older storefronts. YouTuber, streamer and video game media personality Jirard "The Completionist" Khalil has taken this to the next level by quite literally purchasing every game available on these platforms.

The main driving force behind this idea was video game preservation – with the aim to "save" every 3DS and Wii U eShop title before they are lost forever. The mission was successful but it's come at a price, with the total amount of purchases adding up to $22,791 USD.

Here's a bit about why Khalil wanted to do this – revealing how all of the consoles and storage are being donated to the Video Game History Foundation so this digital library can "live on":

"Lost media is very real as far as video games preservation is concerned, since the industry started we run a daily risk of losing games forever, that's why this matters. And that's why I've been a long time supporter non-profits like the Video Game History Foundation and their efforts to support the preserveration of video games code, print media and more. In fact we started out own charity event Preserved Play, which is an annual charity event to raise money for them, and that's happening this year on April 15th and 16th on my Twitch channel and I will be donating these consoles and all the storage to Video Game History Foundation in the very end so that all these games can live on. So that's it, it's done - every available game on the Nintendo Wii U and 3DS has been saved - it cost far too much time and way too much money but it was absolutely worth it for the sake of game preserveration."

El Muerto

There are others that are equally concerned about the preservation of games for old consoles, they're just not on youtube trying to get attention for it. You can also download all the games from Nintendo's servers on your pc using NUSD, or just go on the internet archive.

Beechos

Technically they are only redownloadable as long as nintendo keeps the file servers up. Has there been an instance yet where the digital licenses one purchases turn into poop? Whether it be gaming, video or music where the data couldn't be redownloaded?

Power Pro

Technically they are only redownloadable as long as nintendo keeps the file servers up. Has there been an instance yet where the digital licenses one purchases turn into poop? Whether it be gaming, video or music where the data couldn't be redownloaded?
Not an entire store front exactly, but remember Game Room on Xbox 360/PC? it was a cool idea that was flawed in execution, where they had old games you could buy and play for 3 bucks a pop and set up your own virtual arcade. It was always bogged down by overpriced games ($3 a piece for atari 2600 pieces of shit), but it could have been cool if it actually had better games.

Anyway, I bought maybe 2 or 3 games on it, one of them being the arcade version of Jackal. Can't play any of my purchases anymore. And it's not even about not being able to download the files anymore, I can redownload the whole game if i want, but it doesn't recognize any of the titles I own anymore, which...I find to be kinda bull shit, especially with how overcharged they were for many of them to begin with.

If I was Jeff Gerstmann I'd be severely pissed, because he bought EVERY game on the service when it was new. That led to like...around $200 just for the launch line up.

ironmang

I think PS Mobile was like this. I remember buying a few games on my Vita but apparently they removed any way to redownload them many years ago.

There's probably several music and movie services that went belly up over the years. I doubt anyone who made a purchase on like the zune marketplace still has access to their music

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Fucking idiot
Anyway he earns this shit back with monetization on the video so eh..

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

He wasted that money for the sake of preservation?

Scared Horror GIF by Pirate's Parley

Codes 208

Oh its Jirard. I was expecting it to be antdude

Maaaybe peanutbuttergamer, but he usually just sticks with the core nintendo IP’s

Last edited:

BlakeofT

I watched this last night. I thought all the road blocks they ran into were pretty hilarious. I've actually been burned by the <= $250 on your account before, but was not aware about a lot of the other problems.

Fucking idiot
Anyway he earns this shit back with monetization on the video so eh..
Why is he an idiot? When YouTube is someone's full time career and they have over a million subs he knows well enough he will make that money back quickly and then some profit too.
If someone is able to do something cool like this then more power and respect to them. It would be only idiotic if he would of spent all of his money from his banks saving or something really dumb like that. This is for business, you put money in to make more 💰
Very plain and simple concept.

I am personally not interested in 3ds/Nintendo shop titles, but it's still cool that someone did it before it all shutdown.

Last edited:
Jirard's a good dude. I've always liked his videos, and I think he has a good presence to be a public personality for gaming.

Given his subscriber base and revenue streams, I'm confident he'll make his money back in a very short time, if not while this is the newest video.

Also, who better to make a public endeavor like this than someone nicknamed "The Completionist"? (Yes, I'm aware that many games have been delisted already, and that hackers/pirates are the "real" preservationists.)

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Nintendo: What is this 'user experience design' fad you're talking about?

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
It's pretty evident who saw the video and who didn't. Believe me guys, even if you don't care about preservation, the video is worth alone for the wild ride it is buying too many games on the eShop.

SegaShack

Each of these titles is already preserved and backed up, this really isn't preservation at all especially considering these servers will likely be offline in a few years.

Just a clickbait idea.

Last edited:

baphomet

Each of these titles is already preserved and backed up, this really isn't preservation at all especially considering these servers will likely be offline in a few years.

Just a clickbait idea.

Not even remote the case.

A huge amount of this stuff isn't preserved.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Just a clickbait idea.
sure, but that's the YT hustle. It's a gimmick, but a good one.

Emedan

Physical copies will ultimately degrade and become unusable. Digital copies will live forever.
Huh, on what do you think the digital copies are stored? I'd assume they'll occasionally make carbon copies of the disks but who knows, also whether that's even compatible if you actually wanna play the games.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm guessing they're going to dump these to ROMs to preserve them? Otherwise it's just stuck on a console that will eventually fail.

Filben

He didn't need to buy every single one because you can already download a lot of them if preservation is what he wanted and not a video to generate clicks.

It would have been better if he'd bought those not available somewhere on the internet or that megathread. I guess he did that, too, but he could have done it cheaper.

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Cool idea for a youtube video but if I were spending that much money I'd want physical copies. I imagine all of these games are well preserved somewhere on the internet anyways.
Probably not digital-only ones. This is why you can't get a copy of Castlevania Rebirth anymore.

Top Bottom