• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube's most watched game trailers of 2016 (for games released in 2016)

Strange, isn't God of War at 13-14 million right now or are they just counting "trailer" by the definition of a trailer?

HardRojo

Is there a correlation between views and sales? I'd say there is, but it'd be interesting to know for sure with actual evidence. That list would suggest there is, right?

NewDust

All those viewbots...

I'm... guessing they might actually be for games that were also released in 2016 looking at the list again.

Clash of Kings released in 2014, Clash of Clans 2013 (or 2012 depending on where you live) ... So probably only games released thus far?

The Overwatch Dragons short came out around launch right? That'd explain why it's so much more viewed. That and the Bastion one are my favorites.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is there a correlation between views and sales? I'd say there is, but it'd be interesting to know for sure with actual evidence. That list would suggest there is, right?

It's not a 1:1 thing, but games that generate lots of trailer views (and social media coverage in general) tend to sell notably better than those that don't.

M.D

Each of them has a ridiculously low amount of likes/dislikes compared to the amount of views, except for Battlefield and Call of Duty.

I'm guessing most of the views are coming from these videos being displayed as ads?

Edit: Actually, Overwatch and Clash of Kings both have a respectable amount of likes/dislikes as well

Each of them has a ridiculously low amount of likes/dislikes compared to the amount of views, except for Battlefield and Call of Duty.

I'm guessing most of the views are coming from these videos being displayed as ads?
Almost all of them were ads except for pokemon I believe
And overwatch

Calabi

I dont think their is, I'm pretty sure COD still sold more than Battlefield.

Battlefield doesn't surprise me at all, given the amount of times YouTube has made me watch it before countless videos in the past few months.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
For comparison this is TGA/PSX trailers recently:
f0j3Xn3.png

I think BF1, COD & Overwatch are definitely not super overinflated due to ad-plays with 4.23, 10.98 & 2.00 respectively (both dislike+like, as I think that shows interaction so not a 1:1 comparison to the image). The rest is below that.

Edit: Actually, Overwatch and Clash of Kings both have a respectable amount of likes/dislikes as well

BF1 and IW's like/dislike numbers are actually the ones out of the ordinary for the number of views that they have. BF1 has over 2.1m likes/dislikes with 49m views and IW has over 3.8m likes/dislikes with 35m views. By comparison, GTAV's reveal trailer has 46m views and 320k likes/dislikes. You usually have to have a video with hundreds of millions of views to get to a million likes/dislikes.

They included Dragons, but not Hero or Bastion, even though they both would be on that list.

Also, a problem with lists like these is that some publishers release their trailers 10+ times (see Nintendo, NintendoUK, NintendoDE, etc. etc.), and thus the views get spread out.

HardRojo

It's not a 1:1 thing, but games that generate lots of trailer views (and social media coverage in general) tend to sell notably better than those that don't.

I dont think their is, I'm pretty sure COD still sold more than Battlefield.
As Nirolak stated, it's not a 1:1 thing, and I wasn't implying it was, basically Nirolak's second statement is what I was trying to get at.

Top Bottom