• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YoYo Games announces Game Maker Studio: Export to Consoles function (PS4, PS3, Vita)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
YoYo Games and Sony just announced full console export functionality for Game Maker Studio, allowing you to export your GMStudio game to PS3, PS4, and PS Vita. You will need dev kits and be a registered dev with Sony to publish games, and this export functionality will be released for free for Studio owners (usually export licenses range from $100-300).

Full press release:

Today at GDC, we're thrilled to announce a strategic partnership with Sony to offer GameMaker: Studio support for PlayStation®4, PlayStation®Vita and PlayStation®3. This makes publishing GameMaker: Studio games to PlayStation® platforms easy and free of charge for all licensed PlayStation developers.

GameMaker: Studio support for PlayStation’s licensed developer program also includes support for PSNSM features as well as licensed platform peripherals including controllers, control inputs and cameras.

“Today’s announcement is a major milestone in our strategy to make powerful, cross-platform game development more widely accessible,” said Sandy Duncan, Chief Executive Officer at YoYo Games. “It’s particularly good news for the Indie development community in that it will remove the complexity barrier that exists in delivering Indie gaming experiences to PlayStation users.”

“We are pleased to be working with YoYo Games to deliver GameMaker: Studio for our PlayStation platforms,” said Teiji Yutaka, Senior Vice President, Technology Platform of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. “PlayStation users will soon be allowed to enjoy a wide variety of creative games including unique indie game titles from GameMaker's growing global community of developers, which includes some of the most acclaimed independent talent in the world including indie development community.”

YoYo Games will be demonstrating games created with GameMaker: Studio running on PS4 and PS Vita at GDC starting today, Wednesday, March 19 through Friday, March 21 at booth 1924.

The GameMaker: Studio open beta for licensed PlayStation developers will be available immediately following GDC. GameMaker: Studio’s exports for PS4, PS Vita and PS3 are currently in development, with availability to licensed developers expected April 30 for PS4, May 30 for PS Vita and June 30 for PS3.

Anyone interested in becoming a licensed PlayStation® developer can register their interest with SCE at https://www.companyregistration.playstation.com/.

You can see a gameplay demo over at the YoYo Games Booth #1924 at GDC. There's eighteen games being played over there, including Cook, Serve, Delicious! on PS4. :D

Man I am so freaking psyched. Game development on consoles just got massively easier for a lot of indie devs. Now a lot of us don't have to go through a porting process by a third party/dev...we can do it ourselves. It makes things much, much, much faster. Originally you would have to rewrite your game engine and code to get it running on consoles. Obviously this can lead to more bugs, which needs more QA and testing, and lots of optimization. In comparison, YoYo Games had my game running from PC to PS4 in just a few days. Because the engine ports over to multiple platforms easily, the only bugs I have to worry about are game bugs, and not engine bugs.

Some popular Game Maker games include Nidhogg, Hotline Miami, Risk of Rain, Savant Ascent, Hyper Light Drifter, Samurai Gunn, Stealth Bastard (Stealth Inc.), Super Crate Box, Nuclear Throne and Gunpoint, to name a few. Here's a nice showcase of games using GM.

So now with Game Maker Studio you can export to PC, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Windows Phone/W8, PS3, PS4, and Vita.

Let me be the first to say WOOOOOOOOOOO!

edit: list of games being shown at the YoYo booth:

10 Second Ninja, Dan Pearce
Another Perspective, Shaun Spalding
Bullet Bros, Futurepoly
Castles in the Sky, The Tall Trees
Cook, Serve, Delicious; Vertigo Games
Hero Siege, Panic Art Studios
Home, Benjamin Rivers
Hyper Light Drifter, Heart Machine
Maldita Castilla, LocoMalito
Nuclear Throne, Vlambeer
Risk of Rain, Hopoo Games
Samurai Gunn, Teknopants
Savant-Ascent, D-Pad Studio
Spelunky, Moss Mouth
Stealth Bastard, Curve Studio
Super Crate Box, Vlambeer
Tiamat-X, BBQ Games
Death Ray Manta – Bagfull of Wrong
Valdis Story, Endless Fluff Games

hohoXD123

YoYo Games and Sony just announced full console export functionality for Game Maker Studio, allowing you to export your GMStudio game to PS3, PS4, and PS Vita. You will need dev kits and be a registered dev with Sony to publish games, and this export functionality will be release for free for Studio owners (usually export licenses range from $100-300).

Full press release:

You can see a gameplay demo over at the YoYo Games Booth #1924 at GDC. There's eighteen games being played over there, including Cook, Serve, Delicious! on PS4. :D

Man I am so freaking psyched. Game development on consoles just got massively easier for a lot of indie devs. Now a lot of us don't have to go through a porting process by a third party/dev...we can do it ourselves. It makes things much, much, much faster. Originally you would have to rewrite your game engine and code to get it running on consoles. Obviously this can lead to more bugs, which needs more QA and testing, and lots of optimization. In comparison, YoYo Games had my game running from PC to PS4 in just a few days. Because the engine ports over to multiple platforms easily, the only bugs I have to worry about are game bugs, and not engine bugs.

Some popular Game Maker games include Nidhogg, Hotline Miami, Risk of Rain, Savant Ascent, Hyper Light Drifter, Samurai Gunn, Stealth Bastard (Stealth Inc.), Super Crate Box, Nuclear Throne and Gunpoint, to name a few. Here's a nice showcase of games using GM.

So now with Game Maker Studio you can export to PC, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Windows Phone/W8, PS3, PS4, and Vita.

Let me be the first to say WOOOOOOOOOOO!

Thanks for shedding some light on what the implications of this are. If it's so easy now, I'm guessing that it's likely that we'll see those games on sony platforms? Gunpoint on Vita would be sweet.

YoYo Games and Sony just announced full console export functionality for Game Maker Studio, allowing you to export your GMStudio game to PS3, PS4, and PS Vita. You will need dev kits and be a registered dev with Sony to publish games, and this export functionality will be release for free for Studio owners (usually export licenses range from $100-300).

Full press release:

lolol how the hell does CSD work on ps4 :X

oh i guess you could just map everything to buttons lol. (you should patch in controller support to pc just so people can try something different ;P)

Sendou

Cook, Serve, Delicious! on PS4. Hot damn. Just letting PS4 owners know that it's a quality game and a time sink. Plenty of reasons to be excited about this announcement really. Both CSD and GameMaker on PlayStation that is.

atr0cious

Finally, now my cinematic rogue-lite game can reach the audience it's intended for. Surprised Wii U isn't really represented yet.

bombshell

I had problems keeping up with all the recent indie announcements for PS4/Vita, but that was before this announcement, which will bring an even bigger flood of indie games, man...

Probably a stupid question, but...

You need to have a devkit and be a registered dev with Sony to publish, but is there any way to deploy locally to these devices for testing / exploration / fun kind of like you could with the Creator's Club back in the day without having to go through that requirement?

You need to have a devkit and be a registered dev with Sony to publish, but is there any way to deploy locally to these devices for testing / exploration / fun kind of like you could with the Creator's Club back in the day without having to go through that requirement?

i like vita's approach to testing. hope we can do that one day with ps4.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Net Yaroze style!

zebwinz

Really glad I have been developing in GameMaker. I chose it to be able to easily port between Windows, Windows Phone, iOS and Android, but adding in the Playstation family of devices is fantastic. PSM Studio just wasn't cutting it for me. Great news.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
lolol how the hell does CSD work on ps4 :X

oh i guess you could just map everything to buttons lol. (you should patch in controller support to pc just so people can try something different ;P)

That's exactly what I intend to do! :D

Quick glimpse of CSD on PS4:

screenps4.png

Darak

I don't see what is so great about this. The thing is, getting a Sony developer license means filling a ton of paperwork including biography of all team members, your past game portfolio, a detailed game project proposal and even disclosing your company's financial reports.

Most indie teams with no money *and* a proven track record are just laughed off and will never even get a response back from Sony. I just don't see a lot of overlap between GameMaker users and people who meet those standards.

Korten

Banned
Holy shit, that's awesome!

RPG Maker is still around?

If RPG Maker get Playstation Vita support... That would be fucking amazing.

Also... on topic though, can't you make the vita dev kit? You can download the PSM app on the system that can connect to the PC.

That's exactly what I intend to do! :D

Quick glimpse of CSD on PS4:

hmmm was picturing analog sticks for moving between stations and dpad and buttons (and combinations of both) for ingredients. I bet you are still experimenting though.

I'm just picturing analog sticks directional input fail rate during frantic stuff like soup, could be a bit annoying.

MocroMo

Neo Member
Serious question. Is there a reason why Sony up until (same goes for MS and Nintendo) now not embraced this? For example, less qualtity control?

Top Bottom