• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

Psxphile

NISA is having some kind of voting contest to decide what the reverse cover for the PS4 version of Ys VIII will be.

https://gleam.io/pgL7I/ys-viii-reverse-cover-contest

10 participants will be randomly chosen to win a free copy of the game, but only if you're US and Canada. Everyone else can still vote, though. Multiple times, even.

These appear to be the artworks you can choose from:
6nht9ME.png

preta

I've got a soft spot for 2 since it's the first thing we ever saw of Ys VIII (even before the game was announced), but in the end... it has to be 5. It really is Dana's game. She deserves it.

Gu4n

NISA is having some kind of voting contest to decide what the reverse cover for the PS4 version of Ys VIII will be.

https://gleam.io/pgL7I/ys-viii-reverse-cover-contest

10 participants will be randomly chosen to win a free copy of the game, but only if you're US and Canada. Everyone else can still vote, though. Multiple times, even.

These appear to be the artworks you can choose from:
6nht9ME.png
Voted for 2 because of the classic fantasy feel.

I've had 4 and 5 for my lock screen and wallpaper last year.

I've voted 5 the past 3 days now . Best artwork of the bunch and I'd prefer the reversible cover to feature Dana over Adol for this particular game. Shame the logo kind of blends into it though. If they just scrapped the subtitle it'd be perfect

As beautiful as 5 is, I have to say 1.

1 is too similar to the actual cover. And I find the background to be way too busy, so I like that they changed it for the US release.

Mr.Jeff

2 gives me nightmares from remembering it. Number 1 is a classic but I like number 5 cause it has such a great matching aesthetic.

Looks like Ys Seven is coming to PC! Just announced on the livestream. Of course I don't have more details because I'm on the phone with customer service for something else.

Edit: Beaten like a a Cave wall by Dogi.

cj_iwakura

I've voted 5 the past 3 days now . Best artwork of the bunch and I'd prefer the reversible cover to feature Dana over Adol for this particular game. Shame the logo kind of blends into it though. If they just scrapped the subtitle it'd be perfect

1 is too similar to the actual cover. And I find the background to be way too busy, so I like that they changed it for the US release.

Ah, didn't know that was the actual cover. Then yeah, 5.

Erheller

How come Falcom is letting XSEED do Ys Seven but not 8? Is it because XSEED did the localization for Seven and they've been sitting on the license since?

Tizoc

If Falcom are making an Ys 5 remake, they should keep it as a solo Adol game.
The thing that concerns me though is...well seeing how Falcom's designs seem pretty 'pandering' lately, I am worried about how the characters from Ys 5 will be redesigned or re-imagined in a possible remake (I blame Fate's Scheherazade design for my concern =_= )

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
How come Falcom is letting XSEED do Ys Seven but not 8? Is it because XSEED did the localization for Seven and they've been sitting on the license since?

Probably, but it's less a matter of "letting" them and more likely NISA just gave Falcom more money for 8 than XSEED could justify.

What a nutty day. I hope Ys Seven PC does as well as it can, especially with VIII on the horizon.

If Falcom are making an Ys 5 remake, they should keep it as a solo Adol game.
The thing that concerns me though is...well seeing how Falcom's designs seem pretty 'pandering' lately, I am worried about how the characters from Ys 5 will be redesigned or re-imagined in a possible remake (I blame Fate's Scheherazade design for my concern =_= )
Kondo's already hinted, in recent interviews, that they're going to stay a lot more faithful to Ys V (and its pre-production story draft and concepts) vs. how Memories of Celceta took a lot of liberties since Falcom never made an Ys IV to begin with. They're likely to stick with a variation of the party system (or something like their Zwei-based games), but everything else should feel more like the Oath in Felghana treatment.

IamAwake

With the announcement of Ys seven, I have decided to finally complete Ys 1 and 2. What would be the best version to play? The Chronicles version on steam or the turbo Graphics CD version?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Xseed just announced a PC port for Ys Seven on their Zwei II stream. There's even gameplay and everything.
Ohhhhhhhh fuck yeah! Been putting that one off for years cause, fuck handhelds, but I was thinking of getting it digitally now that I have access to a PS TV. This is much better though.

With the announcement of Ys seven, I have decided to finally complete Ys 1 and 2. What would be the best version to play? The Chronicles version on steam or the turbo Graphics CD version?

I'd go with chronicles on steam. The only reason to go for the TG-16 version is if you prefer that soundtrack or you want a cool 16-bit version of the two games. It's a great version for sure, and highly recommended, but 1 and 2 chronicles is a nearly perfect remake. It has gorgeous 2-d spritework, Opening cinematics done by then Falcom employee Makoto Shinkai (fairly big time anime director nowadays), and it expands the world and the story a fair bit.

Ys 7 is the better of the two party focused ys games released in English fwiw

Yeah, Celceta was a disappointment.

Playing Ys for the first time. Origin on hard with the female character to be exact and really surprised how big a difference going up one level can have on the difficulty. Wasn't really feeling it at first until I got the fire sword and realised I can switch powers, loads more fun now.

Playing Ys for the first time. Origin on hard with the female character to be exact and really surprised how big a difference going up one level can have on the difficulty. Wasn't really feeling it at first until I got the fire sword and realised I can switch powers, loads more fun now.
Yunica takes a step up in badass when she gets the Lotus Fireblade. Her story ends up being more of a power trip than the others, which is always fun, and she's a fun scrappy Adol to play as.

My game of Origin on PS4 crawled to a practical stop yesterday. I was in Silent Sands (I think on the steps beside the ones which lead to the roo) and all of a sudden it went 1 fps! Not had anything even close to approaching that before or since. (It's all been silky smooth.) Any idea what may have caused it?

Video of the incident:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE0Sr3A7CTM

Hybris

Nice another ys game to pc, definitely picking that up. It's pretty much the only platform I own to play these games. Hows the party system? The only one's I've played have been solo adol adventures.

Completed all Ys Origin playthroughs on normal last night. I can't see how it won't be one of my GotG+GoaT games. It really was stupendous from start to finish. I did get a bit fatigued during final playthrough but that quickly disappeared with the excitement flowing freely again Blighted Blood onward.
Started a hard game with Yunica which I plan to dip in and out of, and will also give arena and time attack a bash.

Original plan was to go for Oath next, but I think I'll instead opt for Chronicles+ what with it having a connection to Origin.

Yunica is among the most underrated female protags in gaming

How? Adol is a mute and is a more interesting protagonist then Yunica. She's the least interesting protagonist in her own game. There are great female protagonist in gaming I would't degrade them as a group by putting Yunica with them.

Top Bottom