• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

Yeah, but he got a boat ride into 7 and it actually lands on shore properly :D

The fact 8 takes place before 6 makes the start of 6 even funnier.

Let's go! AH FUCK..... ok that's done... LETS GO! AAHHHH FUCK NOT AGAIN

Ys 5 starts with his boat making it safely to dock as well

Psxphile

Adol "if it floats on water, I'll find a way to make it falter" Christin
Adol "send monsters limping, can't keep a boat from sinking" Christin
Adol "dates your daughter, can't keep head above water" Christin

preta

I really hope we get that final adventure of his, it just has to be something insanely epic to have him retire after

Kondo has actually said he's interested in potentially making it - I was actually very pleasantly surprised to hear it, since I never once thought it'd be something we were likely to see.

It's not like the "final adol adventure" has to be the end of the ys series, they've already shown the ability for sequels to bounce around the timeline. The only thing a final adventure would bring is either Adol's death or a confirmed canon/winning love interest for Adol to have had a child with, both of these which wouldn't impact any number of hypotherical midequels they'd make.

preta

It's not like the "final adol adventure" has to be the end of the ys series, they've already shown the ability for sequels to bounce around the timeline. The only thing a final adventure would bring is either Adol's death or a confirmed canon/winning love interest for Adol to have had a child with, both of these which wouldn't impact any number of hypotherical midequels they'd make.

That's true, but it just seems like having 63-year-old Adol would be pretty far divorced from series norms. Although Origin was also a pretty big departure by not having him at all, so I guess there is precedent.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure how they would even write an Ys game where Adol dies at the end. Unless they go with the fan theory that at the end of his final adventure he's simply presumed dead and actually becomes Santa Claus.

I'm not sure how they would even write an Ys game where Adol dies at the end. Unless they go with the fan theory that at the end of his final adventure he's simply presumed dead and actually becomes Santa Claus.

Probably some cop out bs where Adol vanishes into a white light to destroy a threat that plans to destroy the world. Then we flash forward unidentified love interest finishes telling the "unfinished final tale of my husband", leaves the house with the book on the desk, male hand with a pen opens the book.

The end

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Probably some cop out bs where Adol vanishes into a white light to destroy a threat that plans to destroy the world. Then we flash forward unidentified love interest finishes telling the "unfinished final tale of my husband", leaves the house with the book on the desk, male hand with a pen opens the book.

The end

It's an Ys game it doesn't end with him vanishing into light to fight a threat they are gonna have you fight it lol.

The real question is does he end up with the goddess or the girl from 2

It's an Ys game it doesn't end with him vanishing into light to fight a threat they are gonna have you fight it lol.

The real question is does he end up with the goddess or the girl from 2

I'm saying the player does the fight,then fade to white. After that it cuts to people seeing the light Adol walked into disappearing and Adol is nowhere to be found.

sorathecrow

Neo Member
It's crazy that they want 24.99 for SEVEN and they couldn't even get arbitrary resolution support. Or at least resolutions over 1080p. Especially when meanwhile Cold Steel just recently had it.

Ascheroth

It's crazy that they want 24.99 for SEVEN and they couldn't even get arbitrary resolution support. Or at least resolutions over 1080p. Especially when meanwhile Cold Steel just recently had it.
They're working on it. (I think you can actually put arbitrary resolutions into the config files, but it's somewhat buggy? Don't know the details)

Also, it was 16.86€ on Humble if you were fast enough :p
Personally I think it should have been 20€ as a base though.

Ascheroth

I don't want to be demanding, but a frankly premium price deserves feature parity with past releases.
I don't really disagree with you, but I don't see it as that big of a problem because
1) I expect Xseed to fix it
2) it's basically a PSP game.

Getting it for ~17€ helped as well.

Ascheroth

So then it's consistent with when ys 7 originally released, it was missing the good gameplay feature that past ys releases had ��
I've only played slightly beyond the first boss, but so far I had a blast (on Nightmare). Put guard on single button instead of the 2 triggers and you're good to go.

sorathecrow

Neo Member
It's very interesting getting a bit of a window into what a game looks like two weeks before release. Or at least a NISA game. I'm so used to marketing "betas" like the Overwatch beta where the game was basically ready to go.

Betas for single player games really don't make sense unless it's an early access situation where you're basically helping to q&a test the entire game.

preta

Betas for single player games really don't make sense unless it's an early access situation where you're basically helping to q&a test the entire game.

That's essentially the purpose of this single-player beta - to be able to have people doing QA on a wider variety of machines than NISA themselves possess.

Mivey

That's also the case for multiplayer games. They could in principle actually hire testers, but it's cheaper to just let people play as they want.

Ascheroth

It's very interesting getting a bit of a window into what a game looks like two weeks before release. Or at least a NISA game. I'm so used to marketing "betas" like the Overwatch beta where the game was basically ready to go.
I can see why there is no PC Demo (yet), haha.

That's also the case for multiplayer games. They could in principle actually hire testers, but it's cheaper to just let people play as they want.

Demo's have a negative connotation for some reason

Looks like the word demo got swapped with beta in people's minds. Thanks marketing

Generally the purpose of multiplayer betas is to stress test the server and get data on how difficult it is for the game to load and manage lag. It's why most betas only give players access to a limited roster of weapons/stages/characters/etc. If bugs or balance issues are discovered it's an added bonus, but the primary focus is stress testing.

Like a demo a beta can serve the purpose of wetting an appetite. Demo's especially for single player games be it download of at a trade show are a vertical slice to give people a feel for what the game is like. From what I can tell ys 8 is getting a demo they're calling a beta for no reason.

Ascheroth

Demo's have a negative connotation for some reason

Generally the purpose of multiplayer betas is to stress test the server and get data on how difficult it is for the game to load and manage lag. It's why most betas only give players access to a limited roster of weapons/stages/characters/etc. If bugs or balance issues are discovered it's an added bonus, but the primary focus is stress testing.

Like a demo a beta can serve the purpose of wetting an appetite. Demo's especially for single player games be it download of at a trade show are a vertical slice to give people a feel for what the game is like. From what I can tell ys 8 is getting a demo they're calling a beta for no reason.
No, Ys VIII is a actually a beta, not a demo (on PC).

Eusis

I also can imagine there's a lot of potentially easy to squash but nevertheless annoying bugs that can only pop up with a wide sample base. Easily to be seen anyway.

Eusis

Anyone know how long it takes NISA to ship usually after charging? I wanted the LE for my Birthday and that's charged as of last week, and I know they have been known to get the games delivered ahead of the release date.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Anyone know how long it takes NISA to ship usually after charging? I wanted the LE for my Birthday and that's charged as of last week, and I know they have been known to get the games delivered ahead of the release date.

I hope my buddy gets his shipment early or Im not playing until the 15th xD

AniHawk

shipments generally go out on friday. from there it depends on your proximity to the shipping facility and how weather factors in. some people get theirs as early as saturday, but for most it's monday or tuesday.

Top Bottom