• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta |OT|

Aeana

Finally found an hour to play for a bit, but I'm way behind everyone now. I've got about 9 hours on the clock, just got back to Casnan from Selray and did some stuff there.

Is the story really different from Mask of the Sun and Dawn of Ys?
Yes, very different.

Is the story really different from Mask of the Sun and Dawn of Ys?

I never played Mask, but it only barely resembles Dawn.

Characters and locations aside, of course. There are sort of some plot points that maybe kind of overlap, but even then not really. Falcom really did their own thing with this.

I'm only about 13 hours in, but I love discovering new and cool areas. I can't remember the last time I played a game where I was excited to get to the next town/dungeon just to see what it looked like.

I don't have it on me right now so I can't remember the name, but I LOVE the town outside of the tower
. Celceta really does have some beautiful locales.

Silvawuff

This game looks gorgeous. Western Vita owners (and owners-to-be on the fence about getting a Vita) could use a game like this!

I've never played either of the previous Ys IV games, but from what I've read of them (admittedly very little), this could somewhat resemble Mask of the Sun more than it initially lets on. Again, I haven't played it, so I will be interested to hear from Aeana further on.

StuBurns

Banned
Can you go in to more detail? I don't have a Vita (yet). Do games appear cleaner? Is dithering more pronounced? Do things get blurry due to resolution differences?
They look quite a bit better. There is no scaling artifices because the resolution is exactly four times that of the PSP.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Can you go in to more detail? I don't have a Vita (yet). Do games appear cleaner? Is dithering more pronounced? Do things get blurry due to resolution differences?
Just 2 images
PS-Vita-Size.jpg

oled16j74.gif

Add the configurable second analog and you'll understand why psp games are way better on vita ;)

EDIT:
LOL beaten.

Jonnyram

4.5 hours in and I've *just* reached my first flagpoint lol.
Is it typical to spend so much time exploring at first? The world map is so huge! There are still a few avenues I haven't explored yet too.

Varion

Is it typical to spend so much time exploring at first? The world map is so huge! There are still a few avenues I haven't explored yet too.
Possibly not that long, but I always make sure to explore everything I possibly can before moving on anywhere.

Finally got this today (should've had it on Monday but the post service decided to be completely useless). Had read the areas were pretty wide and open but still managed to be surprised actually running around and soaking it all up. The draw distance is better than I expected it to be too, you can see enemies *miles* off in the distance, towns when you're approaching them from up on top of cliffs, etc. Playing kind of slowly I guess, 10:31 and just did the second silly touch screen door puzzle before stopping for the night. Loving it so far, the areas are great to explore, there's more enemies that you just can't beat when you first go into an area than I expected which helps make the areas actually feel dangerous like they're supposed to be, the graphics are great, the music is glorious...

Nightmare no items going well too, the first boss gave me a right pounding because it had so much HP but it hasn't been that bad since then. At least it gave me time to appreciate the boss theme. Hoped the track would be in the game, didn't expect it to end up the main boss theme. So good.

For this game, yeah. Doesn't sound too crazy to me. It gives you a HUGE initial map, the two flagpoints, and says "go for it". Pretty awesome.

Aeana

Played a bit more, got to Highland. I'm starting to get disappointed with the music reuse, both in towns and in field areas.

Aeana

Please tell me that
Leeza's theme
is in the game?
I am talking to her right now and the music box arrangement of Teary-Eyed Swordsman is playing and it is bumming me out, since her theme is one of my favorites out of Ys 4.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm trying to work out what made Falcom comprehend replacing Leeza with Teary Eyed Young Swordsman.

The hell?

So I just got to a tucked away little area with
a gigantic frog and his minions, resulting in a weird boss battle in which he swallowed all my party members for a while. I love how after you defeated him, they all bow down in worship to you

Those are the little things that just make me so happy.

I'm in the final dungeon now.

Aside from some hiccups already mentioned (occasional frame-rate issues, music re-use) this is a really good Ys game. I don't know if I can say it is my favorite Ys game (need time and distance to really tell), but I think it is the most fun to play. It is just really, really enjoyable. The combat is tight, the skills are good, flash guarding/dodging is rewarding, and the pace is incredible.

I took a lot of screenshots -- when I finish I think I will upload some of them. I'll separate them into spoiler/non-spoiler.

I just hit the
Roo nest and got the necklace that turns you into one and lets you talk to them/evade monsters. So so cool

This game is way too much fun. Also, the draw distance is just ridiculous. Some of the areas overlooking towns are absolutely breathtaking. Never thought I'd say that about an Ys game.

Just beat it...

Clear time was 27:05

Only got about 30% of the trophies so far. Some of them are going to be ridiculous -- I might play through nightmare using a guide to make sure I don't miss any chests/enemy types/items/etc.

One question I still have (not about the ending, but don't read until you're near the end)
It was said (maybe it was by Vanjo) that Nina's father is someone who left Danan with Gruhda. When that was said, I initially thought it was talking about Gadis, but this obviously isn't the case because when you fight Gadis, he and Frida have no special conversation. There is also nothing said to assume that either Gadis or Bammy is from Danan, is there? Who was it that left with Gruhda, and who is Nina's father? Unless I missed something (could have), nothing ever cleared this up, unless I just didn't pick up on it. Any ideas?

Varion

Good god the sub boss in the dungeon after Highland is ridiculous on nightmare. Most of the bosses have been fairly easy so far but this one finished me off in less than 30 seconds the first time.

Constant barrage of attacks that all have specific dodging patterns (front back or left right left right etc) on a small battlefield all while you're getting harassed by minions. If you get caught in anything you're pretty much screwed, and especially if you die in the left right laser not only are you dead, but by the time you get control of your next character to get out the way they're probably half dead too, possibly fully dead if you accidentally dodge the wrong way.

At least I have what'll probably be my final party now. I was expecting Canlilica to attack slowly but she really doesn't. Her, Karna, Adol, aw yeah.

Aeana

Good god the sub boss in the dungeon after Highland is ridiculous on nightmare. Most of the bosses have been fairly easy so far but this one finished me off in less than 30 seconds the first time.

Constant barrage of attacks that all have specific dodging patterns (front back or left right left right etc) on a small battlefield all while you're getting harassed by minions. If you get caught in anything you're pretty much screwed, and especially if you die in the left right laser not only are you dead, but by the time you get control of your next character to get out the way they're probably half dead too, possibly fully dead if you accidentally dodge the wrong way.

At least I have what'll probably be my final party now. I was expecting Canlilica to attack slowly but she really doesn't. Her, Karna, Adol, aw yeah.

Canlilica (this is really the official Romanization? Ugh.) is my favorite one to control, I think. Either her or Frieda. I'd rather control Frieda than Adol, I think.

Varion

Canlilica (this is really the official Romanization? Ugh.) is my favorite one to control, I think. Either her or Frieda. I'd rather control Frieda than Adol, I think.
Yeah, I think she's my favourite one too (though I don't have Frieda yet), though I still switch back to Karna if I get a good chance to use the terrain to avoid getting hit. It was great fun running through the dungeon smashing everything with regular attacks and Gravity Sphere.

Much as it's possible to switch Adol out it just feels somehow wrong not having him in the party. Can't have him getting benched in his own adventure.

Once I had everyone, I used Frieda, Canlilica, and Karna the most. Switched around for trophy stuff and skills here and there, but I think those three make a great party. Love that STR+ skill that Frieda has.

PKrockin

This seems like the best place to post this...

I finally picked up a PSP and Ys Seven. I'm about ten hours in, making my way through the gorge area before Kaylos, and it's a really fun pick up and play action game although the story and characters are the definition of bland and generic.

I'll probably be picking up Oath in Felghana either way, but can I expect a better story compared to Seven?

Famassu

I finally picked up a PSP and Ys Seven. I'm about ten hours in, making my way through the gorge area before Kaylos, and it's a really fun pick up and play action game although the story and characters are the definition of bland and generic.

I'll probably be picking up Oath in Felghana either way, but can I expect a better story compared to Seven?
Not really, but many/most (?) think Oath in Felghana is the better game.

Aeana

What you can certainly expect in Felghana is less story than Ys 7. Or at least much, much less exposition. Ys 7 went really overboard on that.
Felghana is a remake of Ys 3, which is a game from the early 90s, when game developers trusted the player's ability to make their own inferences an form their own ideas about events without being bashed over the head about every single point.

PKrockin

Well that sounds good. It makes Adol and Dogi look like the dumbest dolts in history when the princess drops a million blatant clues to her identity and they can't figure that sort of thing out. lol. Looking forward to catching up on this series.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So I'm gonna guess that the party system in this game is much better than the one in Seven? Sounds like you guys are having fun with it. I wasn't much of a fan of moving to a party system. >.>

So I'm gonna guess that the party system in this game is much better than the one in Seven? Sounds like you guys are having fun with it. I wasn't much of a fan of moving to a party system. >.>

I think part of it is that your damage doesn't fall to complete shit if the attribute doesn't match up.

That, and having a skill system with useful skills is a big plus for me. Instead of a bajillion useless ones, you have a handful of good ones to choose from and level up.

BTW, I wonder what the deal is with the stock of this game.

It is completely sold out everywhere. Resellers online are having a heyday. Companies like Amazon.jp are showing a 1-2 month-away restock. I have seen various Falcom tweets about the next batch of stock, but it sounds like it could be a ways off.

Did Falcom underestimate demand? Or did they ship it low on purpose?

At least in today's day and age we always have the option of buying digital.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I didn't really care for the change either, but the fact people like it better here gets my hopes up at least.

And I can see myself using Frieda a lot. I liked using Geis in Seven and Ys vs Sora no Kiseki.

hongcha

BTW, I wonder what the deal is with the stock of this game.

It is completely sold out everywhere. Resellers online are having a heyday. Companies like Amazon.jp are showing a 1-2 month-away restock. I have seen various Falcom tweets about the next batch of stock, but it sounds like it could be a ways off.

Did Falcom underestimate demand? Or did they ship it low on purpose?

They probably erred on the side of caution and shipped a conservative amount, perhaps due to Vita software not selling too well in general. But the strong sales of this game are an excellent sign, not only for this game but also for future games like it on the Vita.

Beat it. Clear time was 19 hours and 37 minutes.

What a fun ride. Not sure where I stand in terms of rank amongst other Ys titles, but I loved the entire journey.

Thanks Falcom.

Varion

Aaaand done. Ended up a bit over 38 hours, but I did all the quests, completed the map, and succeeded in my aim of beating the game on nightmare with no items, HP absorb effects on weapons or HP regen effects on armours. Was actually a really fun challenge doing it this way after the first bunch of bosses (excluding the first), the bosses hit HARD but once you had their patterns down they were definitely doable, they just punished you heavily for screwing up.

All in all my second favourite Ys game after Origin, Origin still has the edge because of its bosses, but Celceta was better than it in almost every other way. Really liked the cast, and Adol himself actually really shone thanks to all the dialogue choices and flashbacks - I've never been a huge fan of him as a character because of his silent protagonist status, but thanks to those two things in particular this time it was much easier to get a feel for his character and his involvement in the story. I'm sure the flashbacks were a one off but I'd really like to see dialogue choices used more in the series in future. Loved the areas, both because of their size and the variety of them, at one point I was a bit concerned most of the map was just going to be the same forest but that quickly turned out to be unfounded. The soundtrack was glorious as expected, both the arranges (with a few exceptions that were a bit mediocre) and the new tracks. Can't wait for the OST of this one. Was a little disappointed a few favourites didn't make it though, but you can't have them all.

Finished with 52% trophies, will be starting up a second run to get to work on the platinum tomorrow. Not ready to put this one down yet.

I was really happy and surprised with the dialogue options and a lot of the flashbacks.

Seeing
Adol as a child with his father was a nice touch that helped make him feel more real, rather than just a silent hero

So at the risk of coming off like a total creepster, is there a decent-rez scan available of the Elena art from the calendar? I'd like the image for a post I want to make on another forum and the image on the Celceta site is *tiny*.

Also really good to hear that people are loving the hell out of Celceta. Really can't wait for XSEED to pick this one up.

Top Bottom