• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys for Vita/PS4 Announced

The balance in Ys has always been very skewed towards player level. If you're two levels below the target level, bosses will feel like an insane grind. If you're one level below, it's fairly challenging. If you're at the target level it's supposed to feel "just right", and if you're overleveled by even a single level, the fights can turn into total jokes. I kinda like that balance. Ys7 definitely pumped up the HP for bosses though, so even if you're strong and the fight is a bit of a joke, it's more time consuming. Another strike against it!

yeah this is true. I forgot which ys it was (oath or felghana), the first boss as adol in the mine IIRC. my god that shit was infuriating. I gained one level and it was easily manageable.

Wait, when did the bosses in Ys 2, Oath, and Origins have low HP?

Edit: I've only played Nightmare and some of those fights :x

Comparatively speaking the fights are a lot shorter than what you'll get on a similar difficulty level in Seven/Celceta (especially Seven).

Or to put it another way: Oath/Origin demand execution, it might take you a long time to get right, but your "winning" attempt is a pretty quick battle. Whereas the bosses in Seven/Celceta (again, more so Seven) are more of an "HP Sponge" that you understand how to fight more quickly and can execute on, but you just need to do it for too long to get rid of all that HP. Or go through too many "expose weakspot -> inflict damage" cycles without the battles adding much of anything between those cycles.

Mortemis

Banned
I'm not really happy with how this is turning out, but then again, I haven't really been happy about Ys for a while now. I didn't enjoy Ys7 much compared to the previous games, and I don't have a Vita so I didn't bother with YsC. Now they've announced a brand new Ys for both Vita and PS4 and it looks... like the same shit. I don't like the party system. I don't like how Falcom uses full 3D graphics filled with dated HDR effects and bloom, I don't like the emphasis on fighting big monsters with party combos.

I just want a game where you control just Adol again, you have a range of moves and mobility, and you get to explore a big world mostly at your own pace, progressing alone, gaining new equipment and abilities unique to just one character, and fight boss battles with emphasis on movement, patterns, evasion, and then striking at the weak point, instead of spamming party combos and stuff.

I guess that's too much to ask from a developer whose conservative ability to shit out the same game every year to the accolades of fans is second only to the Yazuka team at Sega. :p

This is how I'm feeling as well. I'm not that big of a Ys fan, and I haven't played MoC either since no vita, but I'd much prefer another solo ys game, no need for parties, just Adol. You explain it all in your second paragraph.

I'm still happy we're getting this and I'll get this since it's a ys game coming to a console I own, but I'm not all that pumped.

Jucksalbe

Banned
It was about time the Ys fanbase reached a "I don't like the new games as much" split. Ys has finally become a full-grown franchise.

Haven't been super excited for a new Ys game in a few years, due to its new focus. I suppose I shouldn't complain too much about the direction, as I am complicit in enabling them. Glad to hear jumping is back, so that's definitely a step in the right direction again. Praising a "Jump" feature may seem silly, but it greatly changes the way the levels are designed and how dynamic the combat feels.

The balance in Ys has always been very skewed towards player level. If you're two levels below the target level, bosses will feel like an insane grind. If you're one level below, it's fairly challenging. If you're at the target level it's supposed to feel "just right", and if you're overleveled by even a single level, the fights can turn into total jokes. I kinda like that balance. Ys7 definitely pumped up the HP for bosses though, so even if you're strong and the fight is a bit of a joke, it's more time consuming. Another strike against it!
Yeah, this is basically my biggest problem with Ys games. Being underleveled basically means you'll stop having fun for x-amount of time. You either get to grind levels or you chip away slivers of health of monsters. The worst instance I had was in Origin, on the big lava boss that you couldn't even hit until you unscrewed its arms. I had to wait for openings to whack at the arms like three times per arm, only to get a really short interval where you get to actually hit the boss. This type of artificial difficulty is tedious.

Kysen

I'm just as hyped for the music as the new game. My first falcom game was ys7 purely for that primeval breaker song from the trailer. After that I've been buying all their soundtracks. Something about the mix of the violins with the electric guitars really gets me going.

I finally got round to seeing the trailer yesterday and wow. It looks like celceta beefed up, this can't come soon enough.

Suzzopher

Cannot wait to play Ys on the big screen again. As much as I have enjoyed the handheld outings I always loved playing the games on my TV when I was younger.

Edit: Is this Ys 8 or is a remake of Ys V?

I'm really excited for a new Ys title, but there is one major caveat.

My only problem with this is that the Vita version will hold the PS4 version back.

My only problem with this is that the Vita version will hold the PS4 version back.

That implies they actually cared to design for consoles in the first place.

It's Falcom. Their stuff are a gen behind everyone else in terms of graphics and tech.

Eh, while I understand your sentiment, that's probably the wrong way of looking at it. The Vita version is almost certainly the reason why we even have a PS4 version in the first place. Falcom is not exactly a company with the means to really utilise the power of a PS4.

Mr.Jeff

The fights in Seven are not much longer than the others. Probably an extra 30 seconds to a minute on most fights.

Though at the pace of the games that can feel like an eternity :x
Not on Nightmare they're not. I distinctly remember at least 2 of the bosses
Earth and Water Dragons
taking close to 10 minutes.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully the PS4 version will be better off due to the Vita version, since the PS4 version is likely an up-port. So while it may be sub-native res and 30 FPS (with drops) on Vita it should hopefully be a solid 60 and 1080p on PS4. I want to believe.

Raytow

Hopefully the PS4 version will be better off due to the Vita version, since the PS4 version is likely an up-port. So while it may be sub-native res and 30 FPS (with drops) on Vita it should hopefully be a solid 60 and 1080p on PS4. I want to believe.

Why? the game hardly is a looker on the Vita to tax it, haven't played much of celceta around 5 hours but only problem it had it was the subnative res?

I guess that's too much to ask from a developer whose conservative ability to shit out the same game every year to the accolades of fans is second only to the Yazuka team at Sega. :p

Quality duckroll shitpost. I, too, like to throw a big baby fit when developers don't tailor to my specific needs.

zeromcd73

New info:

- Development 30% complete
- Story takes place before 7 and between 5~6
- New action system
- Wants to take advantage of PS4 functions and release as fast as possible
- Huge focus on the ocean

Tizoc

New info:

- New action system

Well graphics'll look decent, not current gen, but decent, so at least they'll deliver far as gameplay goes =D

Well the 30th anniversary of the release of Ys 1 is in 2017 so it makes me wonder if they have something planned for that.

That said they'll also have Sen 3 to get out as well so maybe not.

I haven't been following media closely (I like to go in pretty blind with new Kiseki games), but is there any reason at this point to believe that there will be a Sen 3?

ys45

Pretty sure XSEED will localize this .
Only problem is it will probably take a while (We got Memories of Celceta like 2 years after the JP release?)

As long as we get the game, for both platform , I will buy both version just to support them .

Set between 5 and 6?

Meh. They need to remake 5! And I need to get my hands on some version of 6 too. I'm guessing PS2 version given what's being said about the PSP port here.

Sophia

Set between 5 and 6?

Meh. They need to remake 5! And I need to get my hands on some version of 6 too. I'm guessing PS2 version given what's being said about the PSP port here.

I wouldn't be surprised if a remake of 5 occurs after this one. :p

Especially with how they've been kind of alternating between new title and remake.

New info:

- New action system
So story is between 5 and 6

Can someone remind me again where Celceta falls? As that's the only Ys game I've played and absolutely loved it.

Blue-kun

So story is between 5 and 6

Can someone remind me again where Celceta falls? As that's the only Ys game I've played and absolutely loved it.

Celceta is Ys IV, but chronologically it takes place before the events of Ys III (Felghana). It's the only instance in the series where a numbered entry is 'out of order', too.

It goes Ys Origin > Ys I > Ys II > Ys Celceta > Ys: The Oath in Felghana > Ys V > New Ys > Ys VI > Ys Seven.

Celceta is Ys IV, but chronologically it takes place before the events of Ys III (Felghana). It's the only instance in the series where a numbered entry is 'out of order', too.

It goes Ys Origin > Ys I > Ys II > Ys Celceta > Ys: The Oath in Felghana > Ys V > New Ys > Ys VI > Ys Seven.
So I'll be lost then? Do I need to play Oath and V before this one?

Top Bottom