• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys IX: Monstrum Nox launches February 2, 2021 in North America and February 5 in Europe for PS4, summer 2021 for Switch and PC

Duellist

Shaweet! Can't wait, loved the last one. Hopefully it will be playable on the ps5.

Last edited:

drganon

Nice. Really enjoyed ys8 as my first entry to the series. Looking forward to playing this one as well when it comes out.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Honestly, probably best that the PC version is coming out months later. YS 8's PC port was hilariously bad. Give that shit more time to cook.

lachesis

Already pre-ordered it quite some time ago on Amazon! :D

I heard it does have frame dropping issue in towns, even on pro - if PS5 would eliminate that problem, it would be awesome.
Even better would be to eliminate the frame drops on regular ps4 and ps4 pro... but heard some extreme cases of regular PS4, the fps drops like crazy low (like 15fps)

For that reason, I'm not looking to buy the upcoming Switch port that's just got announced ... can't even imagine what the fps on Switch would be.

Irony is, the game doesn't even look like it should be remotely pushing the hardware capabilities on PS4, PS4 Pro and to certain degree, Switch as well. I just wish Falcom would invest maybe 10-15% more on engine, gfx, animation & optimization.

NT80

I've only played YS oath in Felghana on PSP which was pretty good but these later YS games seem a lot like Namco's Tales series.

Thief1987

So it would be year and 5 months after japanese release? It is good improvement over 2+ years earlier, but they should improve it further. Simultaneous release is a dream of course but i will be happy if it would be something like 6 months.

I wrote a review for IX a few weeks ago. It's pretty good, and certainly has improvements over VIII in some ways, but I still liked VIII more.

That was a good read friend! But the part about how "the antagonist of the story is barely relevant for the majority of the game, and the final threat comes seemingly out of nowhere" is also applicable to Ys VIII, isn't it? That game pretty much has no antagonist.

Glad to hear that the combat is great as usual. Goddamn Ys always nails the combat.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
That was a good read friend! But the part about how "the antagonist of the story is barely relevant for the majority of the game, and the final threat comes seemingly out of nowhere" is also applicable to Ys VIII, isn't it? That game pretty much has no antagonist.

Glad to hear that the combat is great as usual. Goddamn Ys always nails the combat.
Not really since if you were paying attention you'd know what was going and what you were going to face. (specially if you played the previous games) TFW you will never see dino waifu again, such is the curse of the blue haired girls in Ys. Adol you asexual virgin smh.

Not really since if you were paying attention you'd know what was going and what you were going to face. (specially if you played the previous games) TFW you will never see dino waifu again, such is the curse of the blue haired girls in Ys. Adol you asexual virgin smh.

I played most of the previous games and I knew I was about to face some bullshit thing that Falcom always throws at you (which is awesome, I'm not complaining, but it is what it is). I 100% agree about the biggest waste being we never got some neanderthal pussy action, fuck you Adol you Dogisexual. This series would be much better if Sengoku Rance was the main character.

Hell, a decent fun loving company would give me a dedicated button to bite on Laxia's ass. It would give me a reason to keep her in the main party at least.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I played most of the previous games and I knew I was about to face some bullshit thing that Falcom always throws at you (which is awesome, I'm not complaining, but it is what it is). I 100% agree about the biggest waste being we never got some neanderthal pussy action, fuck you Adol you Dogisexual. This series would be much better if Sengoku Rance was the main character.

Hell, a decent fun loving company would give me a dedicated button to bite on Laxia's ass. It would give me a reason to keep her in the main party at least.
The biggest crime was that she was a runt while the average Eternian woman was 6'5 and they are all fucking dead. Also the process of wiping shit clean was halted not truly stopped. Fuck you Maia and fuck you tree.

The biggest crime was that she was a runt while the average Eternian woman was 6'5 and they are all fucking dead. Also the process of wiping shit clean was halted not truly stopped. Fuck you Maia and fuck you tree.

I kind of zoned out during that ending, like my dick was still hard but already past the 5 stages of grief knowing full well it would get no action.

But why wasn't it stopped? Didn't Maia say like yeah I'm going back to sleep don't touch the naughty places and left Dana in charge with the distinct order that she wouldn't fuck it up? I felt like at the end the power of friendship won against evolution.

JohannCK

I’d say that the primary antagonist is the environment of the island, and the final boss (not counting the bonus stuff) is

the tree

which is there the whole game.

IX’s antagonist

is a person but he doesn’t even appear until about 80-90% through the game, it’s unclear what he’s doing up until he explains it to you right before the final boss fight, and the final boss fight is more of an accident than a confrontation. The game also, like VIII, puts way more emphasis into its story than everything up to Celceta, so it stands out more too.

Honestly, probably best that the PC version is coming out months later. YS 8's PC port was hilariously bad. Give that shit more time to cook.
I should point out that the PS4 version of IX has quite a few performance and technical issues compared to VIII so I wouldn’t get my hopes up on the PC version being better than VIII’s.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of zoned out during that ending, like my dick was still hard but already past the 5 stages of grief knowing full well it would get no action.

But why wasn't it stopped? Didn't Maia say like yeah I'm going back to sleep don't touch the naughty places and left Dana in charge with the distinct order that she wouldn't fuck it up? I felt like at the end the power of friendship won against evolution.
Because she took over. So it is just halted for the moment.

Day Fucking 1. I would advise anyone interested in picking it up to pre-order. The Physical Copy of VIII got a low print run.

mejin

October 27, we get Cold Steel IV and Feb 02, we get Ys IX....damn, god bless NisA. That's some VIP treatment to Falcom series and Playstation.

lachesis

Not sure if this is a case-by-case, but have been hearing that the game crashes on PS5 rather often at this point.
It's known that even on PS4 Pro, the town section got some considerable frame drops, but on PS5, good performance boost to stable(?) 60fps.

Very much looking forward to it & hope when it gets released in the west - it would be patched so that it would run stable!

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Not sure if this is a case-by-case, but have been hearing that the game crashes on PS5 rather often at this point.
It's known that even on PS4 Pro, the town section got some considerable frame drops, but on PS5, good performance boost to stable(?) 60fps.

Very much looking forward to it & hope when it gets released in the west - it would be patched so that it would run stable!
I plan on playing it on PS5. Oof

Top Bottom