• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys IX: Monstrum Nox - Story Trailer (PS4, Nintendo Switch, PC)

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
The people they have coding their engine obviously have no passion for their job, virtually no improvements over the PSP era, one look and it's super obvious that it is the exact same engine.
Also, whats with all the grey? so bland looking.

Lanrutcon

The people they have coding their engine obviously have no passion for their job

I don't think you understand how commercial development works. You think the developers get to decide what features they want to add. Not really, my man. Poor dude got told exactly what to do, and if he spent the allocated time doing anything else he'd be looking for a new job.

borborygmus

Why the hell does this look so bad? Architecture should be much easier to model than convincing natural environments which Ys VIII had and still managed to look decent.

Mr Hyde

I love Ys. One of my favorite franchises. Super stoked for this. Lacrimosa of Dana was so good. Hoping for something similar with Monstrum Nox.

Hudo

From what I've read. An importer say it's a step down from Ys VIII. Still getting it though.

Review in question: https://www.rpgsite.net/review/9113-ys-ix-monstrum-nox-import-review
Yeah, that's also what I heard from a friend who imported the game. Was saying that it was solid but felt like step down from Ys VIII. He also said that the game wasn't very well optimized as he experienced FPS drops while moving around the city.

The people they have coding their engine obviously have no passion for their job, virtually no improvements over the PSP era, one look and it's super obvious that it is the exact same engine.
Also, whats with all the grey? so bland looking.
The engine Falcom were using for their games up to now was a modified version of the Phyre engine (originally made by Sony with the intent to give devs something to develop games for PS3, but it somehow got popular for developing Vita games). I think Kondo has said that the next Legend of Heroes title and the next Ys title will already use their new engine. I reckon that Hajimari no Kiseki and Ys 9 are probably pushing what Phyre engine can do already.

Last edited:

Paltheos

"Lies or truth, there's no doubt your so-called adventures have made your repercussions."

Oof. That's a line.

From what I've read. An importer say it's a step down from Ys VIII. Still getting it though.

Review in question: https://www.rpgsite.net/review/9113-ys-ix-monstrum-nox-import-review

Seems about in-line with what I've heard too. It's Ys, so I'm in, but these party-adventure games have generally hovered above average to me. Ys 8's been the best performer of the lot, but Origin and esp. Oath are glorious mastercrafts. Some of those solo dungeon dives in Ys 8 just reminded me how much I miss the one-man adventures and demanding boss fights.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I love these games and I'm really looking forward to this one.

Worth noting, Falcom did release a patch, about two months after the Japanese release, that was supposed to help performance (related Gematsu article). I never read any post-patch impressions, but at least the Western release should run better than the Japanese-launch version.

Otherwise, nothing I've read about or seen of Ys IX makes me want to play it, and I remain on the fence over whether I'll bother with this entry in the series.

YS BOIS, LET'S GET HYPE!!!!
tumblr_pd2v5m3CUV1skng10o1_1280.jpg

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Dana looked so much better than this. Also who asked for dubs? Serious question who likes to use dubs in Ys games?

lachesis

Hope for the solid 60fps for PS5. I believe even PS4 Pro couldn't hold solid frame rate in towns (which really showcases the technical prowress of Falcom... stuck in somewhere between PS2 and PS3..)

But... as a long time Ys Fan from MSX Days, this is my the most wanted game of 2021 right now! I hope the dubbing is good, and also hope the original Japanese VA would still be there.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Hope for the solid 60fps for PS5. I believe even PS4 Pro couldn't hold solid frame rate in towns (which really showcases the technical prowress of Falcom... stuck in somewhere between PS2 and PS3..)
Yeah they can't optimize their games for shit.

lachesis

Yeah they can't optimize their games for shit.

Totally! I know Falcom's like a 40-50 people small company, churning out a game or two every year, raking in profits.... but it's one of my biggest gripes for them to invest just a little tiny little bit more on gfx (modeling/texture in general) - and optimization for games like Ys. If it's a Anime look they are going for - even something like Ryza is so much better, although Koei backed Gust is probably have much larger team with more resources...

I know they've developed a new internal engine for future Trail series... (shown in the ending (?) of the recent Hajimari No Kiseki) - I'm hoping their future games would utilize the new engine with better gfx - although, tbh, the new engine didn't really seem to be that big of a difference.

Top Bottom