• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Net (Shenmue 3) hires programmer behind Shenmue HD fan-project

ShinMaruku

This is how you handle fans who are making fan projects who have skill. Bring them into the fold and make their work offical. :)

wmlk

Good guy Yu Suzuki. I knew something was brewing when he talked about him during the final stream.

ShenmueNextGen

Neo Member
Yu Suzuki, by hiring NoconKid, sets a great example of how game companies should handle fans! A Cease & Desist letter is not always the best way.

AmyS

CQZ2SJ6UwAEUaMr.jpg:large

Congrats to Kid Nocon!

Amazing and awesome. -Congrats!

Come to think of it, if they just use the Ryo model from the shenHD project, that would alleviate a lot of complaints about his new look

"I was a Sega fan since childhood," he explained, "Because of that I'm a big fan of the games made by Yu Suzuki, and Afterburner, OutRun, and Virtua Fighter are games that I still enjoy playing. So I took a lot of interest when Shenmue was announced.

"Before the game was launched I saw many trailers and screenshots about it and began to imagine the game in my mind. When the game hit the streets and I played for the very first time, it was what I had imagined the whole time waiting for it to launch. During play, although knowing nothing about Yokosuka and Japan in general was hard, as time went on I started to feel as if that place was like my own village, and Japan became natural. Shenmue was the very first game to give me the notion of 'I'm living in this place.'"

Knowing that games such as Afterburner, OutRun and Virtua Fighter are close to his heart alongside Shenmue, we had to ask what NoconKid would say to Team Yu's namesake, Yu Suzuki, if he had the chance to meet the legendary designer of all these games:

"For Yu Suzuki I have the utmost respect, and to be able to make Shenmue with him would be the best opportunity and the greatest glory."

After seeing what he's accomplished so far as a lone wolf, there must be many fans eager to see that opportunity come NoconKid's way. We asked if he had any final comments for those followers of his progress reading this interview:

"I started this project with the idea of 'If I can do something to revive Shenmue...'

"Working alone on this project, that probably will take a long time and never see the light of day as a game, but I want to at least make a free roaming world and give it as a gift to all my fellow Shenmue fans in the world.

"Of course I will be happier if Sega can hear our pleas and make Shenmue HD and Shenmue III."
http://teamyu.net/Shenmue.III/topic,189.0.html
He started making Shenmue HD and then his dream came true.
How about that, Sega?

By the way, it's the 3rd today, good as time as any to pre-order a t-shirt for December 2017.

I guess that's cool, I'm just wondering if the programmer there was really the main force behind this project.

Most of what I've seen that impressed people came from the artists that worked on this, right? They used UE3 and they haven't released anything playable, so what did the programmer actually do on the project? Just wondering.

They should've just hired the entire team behind the project, since the art assets - to me - look more like what people would expect from Shenmue 3 than what I've seen from the actual game.

ShenmueNextGen

Neo Member
I guess that's cool, I'm just wondering if the programmer there was really the main force behind this project.

Most of what I've seen that impressed people came from the artists that worked on this, right? They used UE3 and they haven't released anything playable, so what did the programmer actually do on the project? Just wondering.

They should've just hired the entire team behind the project, since the art assets - to me - look more like what people would expect from Shenmue 3 than what I've seen from the actual game.

There is not a team behind the fanmade Shenmue HD project. Just one person, that is NoconKid. And he is not a programmer, he is a 3D graphics designer. More info about him, here.

Dio

Banned

My first impression was the same, but it's one guy. A mod should change it to 'guy behind Shenmue HD'

udivision

Good thing he wasn't throwing a Shenmue themed party or we'd be hearing about him getting sued.

lol, but to be fair, TPC has done similar stuff to this.
A few people who upload videos of Pokemon game/TCG matches and commentate on them got hired by TPC to be commentators at their world and regional championships.

Hastati

Wow, that is so friggin cool. I think this game is going to be amazing, even if it doesn't get much additional funding. I believe in Suzuki's vision. So looking forward to it.

Spaghetti

smart hire. dude certainly has talent. i wasn't the biggest fan of how his dobuita looked but i thought he fuckin' nailed it with the hazuki dojo stuff he released. yu is totally right when he says there's a specific way for shenmue to look, and i think kid nocon was really starting to get it right. between this and the programmer he met in a restaurant, yu is doing a good job of getting people with a real passion for the series on board.

openrob

Really happy for the guy.
The Shenmue stuff Noconkid has done was really good. Although it was HD and using Unreal engine, it didn't lose the 'feel' of Shenmue.

Very glad he is on board and gives me great confidence in the final product.

Fully expecting the telephone cut scenes to feature familiar locations :)

His hard work paid off. Great news for the game and also a wonderful story to inspire future developers. Will make a great segment in the future Shenmue documentary that will break worldwide box office figures

Top Bottom