• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys ORIGIN announced!

ferricide

ys on PC + USB dual shock 2 adapter = WIN

not that i've played through the copy of felghana i bought months and months ago, but, that's the magic formula!

duckroll

Ys Origin - Dec 21st 2006

It's a brand new game, brand new entry, with two brand new characters. No Adol, looks like it might be a prequel exploding the history of Ys. It's set in a tower, possibly the one in the original Ys.

I'm youtubing the video now, will post when it's up and running. :D

Edit: The girl is called Yunika Toba, the guy is Yuugo Faakuto. Man, that name is really close to being a banned word here. :lol

Core407

Banned
Sick. I actually played the previous one on the PC and had to use a guide to get past the language barrier. :lol Game was straight up enjoyment and I look forward to playing this one. Hopefully they'll get a US publisher for it and don't change the art styles around. Still waiting on that PC verison, Konami.

Aeana

Hm so really no Adol...? Maybe Falcom still has some surprises up their sleeves.
Adol has to at least make an appearance, or a lot of fans (me) will be upset (at least give Dogi an appearance, okay guys?? ...guys???)

duckroll

Aeana said:
Hm so really no Adol...? Maybe Falcom still has some surprises up their sleeves.
Adol has to at least make an appearance, or a lot of fans (me) will be upset (at least give Dogi an appearance, okay guys?? ...guys???)

If it's indeed a prequel like the trailer implies, it might deal with events long before Adol or Dogi were born.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I guess this is the best place to ask, heh.
I love what I've played of a few Ys games, and the completionist I am wants to play them all in order.
So what are the best versions to get?
Thanks!

duckroll

RevenantKioku said:
I love what I've played of a few Ys games, and the completionist I am wants to play them all in order.
Thanks!

Ys I+II Complete on PC (PC Engine versions are ooooold, and PS2 version is fux0red)
Ys Oath in Felghana on PC (Ys3 remake on PC with advanced Ys6 engine)
Ys IV on SFC or PC Engine (different games, same.... timeline... it was weird :p)
Ys V SFC (the only one available)
Ys VI PC (do you really want to play the PS2 or PSP ones? :p)

:D

Aeana

RevenantKioku said:
Thanks!

Ys 1 & 2 Eternal (PC), Ys - Oath in Felghana (PC reimagining of Ys 3), Ys 4 Mask of the Sun (SFC) and Ys 4 Dawn of Ys (PCE-CD) (Mask of the Sun is the official Ys4 scenario, according to Falcom, but Dawn of Ys is a better game, in many fans' opinions), Ys 5 only has one version, the PS2 version of Ys 6 because of the extras (sprites be damned; they look amazing in the PC version, but the PS2 version just has so much more content)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Well **** it then, cause I doubt they'd run in parallels and ain't no OS X versions. :(

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Can't wait for the vid! Thanks!

Ys Origins. Might it take place back when the Ys civilization was in its prime? (Ys I&II takes place something like 700 years after its decline...) Oooooh, goooood times!!!

Aeana

Dogi can go back in time and burst through walls anyway...!
:(

Some more information about the books of Ys and their history (and their authors' history) than what the OAV covered would certainly be nice, though.

duckroll

Mejilan said:
Ys Origins. Might it take place back when the Ys civilization was in its prime? (Ys I&II takes place something like 700 years after its decline...) Oooooh, goooood times!!!

:D

Mejilan

Haha, oh. See, "when it comes to garbage, think of Akeem!"

I mean, "when it comes to Ys, think of Mej!"

Tellaerin

duckroll said:
Ys Origin - Dec 21st 2006

It's a brand new game, brand new entry, with two brand new characters. No Adol, looks like it might be a prequel exploding the history of Ys. It's set in a tower, possibly the one in the original Ys.

I'm youtubing the video now, will post when it's up and running. :D

Edit: The girl is called Yunika Toba, the guy is Yuugo Faakuto. Man, that name is really close to being a banned word here. :lol

Yuugo Faakuto... Ys prequel...

Dark Fact...

Hmm...

Mejilan

Oh hells yeah, watching now thanks man wooo the original Priest Fakt oh shit man yeah!!!!!

Edit - Whaaaaa? It's coming out this year!?!?

Are they taking preorders yet? Will there be a collector's edition boxset or something? Preorder bonus? Soundtrack? Do we know ANYTHING?

Aeana

A-ha!
Yunika Tovah and Yuugo Fact are the two characters! And that's definitely Darm Tower.
Excellent! Some real history to go on. Now I'm very excited about this, Dogi or no.

It's nice to see that Falcom has finally upgraded to animation instead of still drawings, heh.

Mejilan

Tovah and Fact!? Holy shit! You PLAY as two of the priests? Now that's a mind-****! Or descendents or ancestors of the priests. Oh man!

duckroll

Mejilan said:
Are they taking preorders yet? Will there be a collector's edition boxset or something? Preorder bonus? Soundtrack? Do we know ANYTHING?

They'll reveal all this Friday I guess. This is from the DVD that they're giving out for people that buy the PSP port of LoH6 coming out this Thursday. Someone on 2ch got it early and ripped it. :D

Aeana

I cannot stop watching this thing; it looks so awesome. It looks like it is running on the exact same engine as Felghana though (which was at least enhanced a bit from Ys 6). That's not a bad thing, but maybe they have at least added some more visual effects.

It sure comes out at a bad time, though... it will probably cost about $120 (including shipping) to import directly from Falcom themselves, if past Falcom games are anything to measure against... I may have to put a Wii purchase aside for a while.

duckroll

Aeana said:
I cannot stop watching this thing; it looks so awesome. It looks like it is running on the exact same engine as Felghana though (which was at least enhanced a bit from Ys 6). That's not a bad thing, but maybe they have at least added some more visual effects.

Now with underwater areas! :lol

Aeana

duckroll said:
Now with underwater areas! :lol

Ys 6 had one of those! ...kind of. :\
But yeah, that does look cool. Hopefully this game will be pretty lengthy (at least compared to Ys 6)

A secret page on the site with some more info.

duckroll

Okay, it's confirmed. This takes place 700 years ago, but these are not the actual priests of Ys. Yunika is from the Tovah family and is a shrine knight. Meanwhile Yugo is actually the son of Kain Fact, who IS one of the 6 priests. :D

Oh and LOL at the Eyes of Fact. FUNNELS! :D

Aeana

So it seems the basic idea is that Feena and Reah have disappeared after the priests raised the Palace of Solomon into the sky, and Yunika and Yuugo are chosen to brave "the tower" and search for them. Not bad, I guess, and I am sure there is more to it. What a tease. :/

duckroll

So going by history. Does this mean that Yugo will brave the tower with Yunika, but upon finding the source of all evil, give in to it and turn into Dark Fact? That seems pretty simple and depressing! I hope Falcom has a better reason for this prequel, which I'm sure they do. In fact.... for them to do Ys Origin instead of Ys7 might mean that whatever is revealed here is connected to what Ys7 and beyond instends to cover... Hmmm...

Edit: What I find funny is the revelation that Darm Tower was built by all the monsters in their attempt to reach the temple of Solomon in the sky. :lol

Aeana

pancakesandsex said:
arent Ys 4 and 5 on ps2 as well? taito remakes?

They are SO bad. The Ys 3 remake was at least playable, but oh my god the others are like... a huge insult. I cannot believe Falcom allowed them to go through with it.

duckroll

Aeana said:
They are SO bad. The Ys 3 remake was at least playable, but oh my god the others are like... a huge insult. I cannot believe Falcom allowed them to go through with it.

Oh I perfectly understand why Falcom "allowed" them. More funding for awesome PC games! :D

Aeana

pancakesandsex said:
was gurumin psp good?

i really wanna import that

Yes, I thought it was a really good port.
Hopefully Legend of Heroes 6 FC will also be a good port, too.

Aeana

How come this thread isn't, like, 10 pages long by now? :(

I had been debating whether or not to get the special edition of Gensou Sangokushi 2, but it looks great, and I am so pleased with Falcom that I went ahead and ordered it. That way I also get the disc with the Ys Origin video on it. There are few companies that I am willing to empty my bank account for, but Falcom sure is one of them.

Aeana

leesmapman said:
Now localize this to english!

Though it probably won't come out in English officially, NightWolve could very well pick it up. His Oath in Felghana project is nearing completion and should be out before the end of the year. A release before Ys Origin could be great.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Great news. More Ys is always a good thing and after Oath, I'm even more pumped. A new soundtrack too!

john tv

ss01.jpg

ss02.jpg

ss03.jpg

ss04.jpg

ss05.jpg

ss06.jpg

ss07.jpg

ss08.jpg

Top Bottom