• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Origin on Vita still due May 30th; "load times should be same/quicker than PS4"

Takao

Banned
http://rpgamer.com/features/2017/dotemu/dotemuint.html
MAC: We are excited for the Vita version that's still on the way, is it still on track for a May release? What challenges have you faced in bringing it to Vita?
CI: Yes, the release will be on May 30th as announced, and we are really excited! The delay is due to the fact that we made the mistake of working first on PS4. As it is a game from 2006, the optimization work in terms of performances was not too big. However, when we started to work on the Vita, we saw almost immediately that the performance optimization would take us a long time, as the device is made very different. We mis-calculated that. But the build we have in the office now looks and feels great and I can’t wait to see people playing Ys Origin on the go.

MAC: What UI changes should we expect on Vita, as there were some tiny icons even on PS4? Will load times be comparable to those on PS4?
CI: We adapted completely the UI and tutorials in all languages, to provide the best portable experience possible. Also, as we had to do a lot of optimization work for the PS Vita, the load times should be the same or even quicker than on the PS4 version. By the way, the PS4 version will most likely be patched soon so players can enjoy the optimization work we did for the PS Vita.

bomblord1

Banned
While it's cool it's coming and that they managed to optimize it so well I'm left wondering why? I guess there will be a few people who get to play it on the Vita who wouldn't otherwise. Maybe some people were holding out for the portability? I don't think they would release it if it didn't make any financial sense.

That reminds me I need to pre-order YS VIII

edit: Does this make the entire YS series playable on the Vita?

Wouldn't YS VIII be a better candidate for a last hurrah? Much more ambitious game and it releases later.

If it's as excellent as Ys Origin is supposed to be, then yes, it will be Ys VIII.

But if Ys VIII isn't great, Ys Origin will always be the game that I never thought we'd get that came out in the final hour. I've wanted to play Ys Origin for years. Finally getting to, and on a handheld, is going to be great.

Takao

Banned
While it's cool it's coming and that they managed to optimize it so well I'm left wondering why? I guess there will be a few people who get to play it this way who wouldn't otherwise and they wouldn't release if it didn't make any financial sense. Maybe some people were holding out for the portability.

They were likely contractually obligated to make a Vita version. It appears this was a SIE third party productions title. The PS4 version seems to have not sold well (only 53 ratings since launch on the US store), so they might as well try to extract every last cent.

Wagram

If it's as excellent as Ys Origin is supposed to be, then yes, it will be Ys VIII.

But if Ys VIII isn't great, Ys Origin will always be the game that I never thought we'd get that came out in the final hour. I've wanted to play Ys Origin for years. Finally getting to, and on a handheld, is going to be great.

For what it's worth the Japanese reception was extremely positive and so has the import reception.

Ys: Origin is in my top 10 games of all time though so pick this up Vita owners!

I'm in. This will be a double dip for me, but the nice thing about having two paths to go down in the start is that I don't have to retread all the ground I gained on the PC version right away.

While it's cool it's coming and that they managed to optimize it so well I'm left wondering why? I guess there will be a few people who get to play it on the Vita who wouldn't otherwise. Maybe some people were holding out for the portability? I don't think they would release it if it didn't make any financial sense.

You've answered your own question....

I am also one of the Vita holdouts. Sure I've beaten this game on PC but I just got to have it on a more comfortable system for me to use to finish other portions of the game.

Soph

Oooh, I think this will be my last Vita game before retiring for good.

R1fdEt3.gif

Used-ID

I was just wondering if it was still on track to come out this month.

Only thing I'm still left to guess is if it'll work on my VitaTV.

Currently playing Celceta on my bits and it's kind of weird. First Y's I've played since the first PSP one.

I'll look into this once it's out on Vita and figure out which platform I want it on. Celceta is good for small bursts of play though, I'll give it that.

Tigress

edit: Does this make the entire YS series playable on the Vita?

Well, I know that I most likely will buy it since it's on the Vita. I probably wouldn't if it is on the PS4 (I prefer a game like that on the Vita, I am more likely to support a game on Vita even if I don't feel like playing it right away just cause I love my Vita and I like to show appreciation for games that come out on it if it's a game I'd like, and I'd probably put it off and get distracted by other games if it was on PS4. Shoot, apparently the PS4 version has already been out I guess judging from replies... . see, I was more likely to pay attention to it as a Vita game).

I just wish Persona 5 had a Vita version, I would have preferred playing it on Vita too. Hell, I already finished persona but I'd love a vita version anyways.

Currently playing Celceta on my bits and it's kind of weird. First Y's I've played since the first PSP one.

I'll look into this once it's out on Vita and figure out which platform I want it on. Celceta is good for small bursts of play though, I'll give it that.

Similar situation. Only beaten celceta on vita and liked it enough to commit to ys1 on the psp. Very different to what I was expecting but beaten a few bosses and hopefully will go through as many as I can before either I find a switch or run out of ys games. Any word on the vita performance for 8.

Theswweet

Similar situation. Only beaten celceta on vita and liked it enough to commit to ys1 on the psp. Very different to what I was expecting but beaten a few bosses and hopefully will go through as many as I can before either I find a switch or run out of ys games. Any word on the vita performance for 8.

Vita performance for Ys VIII is fine.

I will be in for the limited run release of Ys origin physical. Limited edition if possible

I have also bought it digital. So consider this a double dip.

joe2187

Banned
I am a Vita holdout.

If this ends up Vita's last big hurrah, it will be a great one.

We still got Cosmic Star Herione
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception!
Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth
Windjammers
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
Valkyria Revolutions
Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
Oceanhorn: Monsters of Uncharted Seas
Narcissu: 10th Anniversary Anthology
Tokyo Xanadu
Summon Night 6: Lost Borders
Akiba's Beat
God Wars: Future Past
Demon Gaze 2
2064: Read Only Memories
Muv-Luv (& Muv-Luv Alternate)
Pixel Noir
Iconoclasts
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Drift Stage
The Banner Saga
VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action
Papers, Please
Assault Android Cactus
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
City Shrouded in Shadow
Digimon World: Next Order

Awesome. Had been a bit worried that this wasn't going to make May. I hope the port is as good as they're making out too.

Now to play the waiting game for the physical version...

(... and the "crossing my fingers" game that they pick up Ark of Napishtim next)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Awesome. Had been a bit worried that this wasn't going to make May. I hope the port is as good as they're making out too.

Now to play the waiting game for the physical version...

(... and the "crossing my fingers" game that they pick up Ark of Napishtim next)

Rather get pc oath, not a fan of how easy psp oath is

We still got Cosmic Star Herione
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception!
Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth
Windjammers
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
Valkyria Revolutions
Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
Oceanhorn: Monsters of Uncharted Seas
Narcissu: 10th Anniversary Anthology
Tokyo Xanadu
Summon Night 6: Lost Borders
Akiba's Beat
God Wars: Future Past
Demon Gaze 2
2064: Read Only Memories
Muv-Luv (& Muv-Luv Alternate)
Pixel Noir
Iconoclasts
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Drift Stage
The Banner Saga
VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action
Papers, Please
Assault Android Cactus
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
City Shrouded in Shadow
Digimon World: Next Order

Not to nitpick the list, but I thought Papers, Please and Read Only Memories weren't happening anymore?

I am worried about Iconoclasts but I'm trying to stay positive.

I was a $250 backer for Pixel Noir. This technically allows me to write a side quest. I should check on that.

Question for you since I'm early in Celceta: is there any way for me to go exploring alone? Or am I stuck with the second party member dude?

joe2187

Banned
Not to nitpick the list, but I thought Papers, Please and Read Only Memories weren't happening anymore?

I am worried about Iconoclasts but I'm trying to stay positive.

I was a $250 backer for Pixel Noir. This technically allows me to write a side quest. I should check on that.

Papers Please has the Dev saying The port is still incoming as of two months ago. I believe the person helping him with the vita port was ill and delayed it for a while.

ROM 2064 Vita port was delayed, but is not cancelled. Dev said in April is still a go.

Question for you since I'm early in Celceta: is there any way for me to go exploring alone? Or am I stuck with the second party member dude?
Think your stuck but it's been a while. You get a good few party members and can swap around but think your stuck with 3 at any given time once you recruit at least 3. Any reason you want to travel alone?

TheChaos0

Oh, nice! I'll definitely get it, I've got Origin on CP but I've never played even though I'm a big Ys fan. Vita will help me once again!

Papers Please has the Dev saying The port is still incoming as of two months ago. I believe the person helping him with the vita port was ill and delayed it for a while.

ROM 2064 Vita port was delayed, but is not cancelled. Dev said in April is still a go.

Thank you for having your ear to the ground on this stuff. I've clearly been out of it for too long. I used to be somebody around these parts. These days, my Vita and I tend to keep to ourselves.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That's lovely, but who said anything about Oath?

Let's see how did this conversation flow go.

I hope we get ark - > I'd rather see Oath

Woah! It's someone sharing what they would want to see in response HOLY SHIT AMAZING CONVERSATIONS ARE COOL!

Also ark is easily a bottom of the barrel Ys game as far as the modern style stuff is imo

If you havent played it yet the steam version does an ok job of patching it up a bit but that's not the version we would get. The original release is very mediocre or outright horrible at times especially if you played any of the other games in the series that came out after it.

Woah! It's someone sharing what they would want to see in response HOLY SHIT AMAZING CONVERSATIONS ARE COOL!

You seem like a fun, reasonable person to talk to.

Anyway, I'd rather have a game we didn't already have easy access to, personally. I'm assuming Ark would be based on the PC version just as Origins is (?)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You seem like a fun, reasonable person to talk to.

Anyway, I'd rather have a game we didn't already have easy access to, personally. I'm assuming Ark would be based on the PC version just as Origins is (?)

The version of Origins we are getting isn't the Steam one. Would be the same case for Ark.

Origin was minor yet important changes such as nightmare unlocked from the start instead of having to beat the game 3 times to get it and 3rd character unlocking after beating the game with 1 *this is whatever* My main gripe with the original release of origin is no nightmare from the start.

As for the steam version of Ark, they overhauled the game in 2 major ways. Removed the abusive healing items and added the fast travel from oath into it

Top Bottom