• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Origin (PC) available for free [limited time]

Aeana

Update:

Word of warning to everyone who is downloading this: you will need to use AppLocale to run the EXE and the game itself. That can be downloaded here. Windows 7 users will need to make sure to explicitly run the AppLocale installer as administrator.

Once installed, open AppLocale and choose the EXE you want to run, and then on the next part, select 日本語 (bottom option).

You may also need to rename the folder that it extracts to to remove the Japanese if you're having problems running it.

Also, consider installing the game by running FSetup3.exe.

The above should fix any problems with crashing or lack of music.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks to Aveyn Knight for the heads-up. It seems that there was an offer to get it for free yesterday that is still going today even though I guess it wasn't supposed to be. This game is one of my favorites, so I hope a bunch of people get to take advantage of this.

Someone in the other thread confirmed that it's still working, at least for now.

Aveyn Knight said:
I'm kind of hesistant to post this, but I don't believe I'm breaking any rules. The only issue is that I'm not completely certain if this still works.

It seems Groupon had a special promotion on April 28th only where new users can download what *seems* to be the full download version of Ys Origin for free. Unfortunately, I only saw the offer right as the 28th was ending in Japan, so I didn't bother downloading straightaway.

However, somebody on a forum that I maintain reported that that the game seems to still install fine after the 28th. A few hours ago, I managed to download and install the game fine. I already beat the first boss and I can't see any signs of the game being a trial version. I *think* the installer checks online before it installs the game, so presumably they made a mistake and forgot to prevent the installation from working.

Instructions:

0. You'll need Japanese regional support enabled (the ability to display Japanese characters). Not just for the installation, but the game crashes very early on if Japanese characters don't display! You can use Applocale with Japanese as the selected language if you prefer.

Download

1. Press the button to the top right of this page. It's the one embedded in the banner. [Image]

2. Select any location, enter your e-mail address in the appropriate field and hit the red button a bit below. You may want to use an alterative e-mail address to your usual one, as Groupon may send you promotional e-mails.

3. Log-in to your e-mail and search for a new e-mail from Groupon. Note that it may be in your spam e-mail folder. Follow the first URL to return to Groupon's site.

4. Click the subtly-located link towards the middle (it looks like normal text, but I think it's underlined), which directs you to Sourcenext's site. [Image]

5. Hit the big download button (the download is 1.6 GB and takes up a few more GBs before the installation is complete). [Image]

Note that if you close the window or go back to the Groupon page, you may lose your link. If so, you can try from the beginnng with a different e-mail.

Install

1. Double click the EXE file that you downloaded, this will extract all the relevant files.

2. Locate the extracted files and double click the new EXE named インストールする (it's name is in Japanese if you can't read it here). If successful, you will be directed to the Ys Origin installation.

3. During the Ys Origin installation keep pressing the left option (Next) and the files will be installed to your PC. I'm not sure if steps 2 and 3 are actually needed, you *may* be able to play the game from the yso_win.exe application found in the original extracted files.

I'll repeat again, I don't know if you'll be able to download and/or install the game properly. So if you don't feel like taking a gamble and wasting your time, don't try it.

EDIT

Added three images for the download procedure.

Aeana

Flying_Phoenix said:
Is there an English patch for this?
Not at the moment, unfortunately.

However, it's a very linear game so I don't expect any problems getting through it for people. I'll gladly help people out if they need it, and maybe make a mini-guide if enough people want that.

Foffy

Banned
People should download it, if only to listen to the fantastic music.

I wish the translation patch was already done but I guess we have to keep waiting. ):

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It works, I'm downloading. Ys 7 was fun so this should be too I guess. Hope someone translates it.

Aeana

Cow Mengde said:
This better not be the butt humping Ys.
Ys Origin is a Napishtim-engine game, so gameplay is similar to Ark of Napishtim and Oath in Felghana. The difference being that Ys Origin doesn't star Adol, and instead has three other characters, each with their own unique playstyle. Hugo plays kind of like a shooter.

Aeana said:
Ys Origin is a Napishtim-engine game, so gameplay is similar to Ark of Napishtim and Oath in Felghana. The difference being that Ys Origin doesn't star Adol, and instead has three other characters, each with their own unique playstyle. Hugo plays kind of like a shooter.

Sold.

KarmaCow

So is there a time limit to installing the game or can I just get the download link and do the rest, say a month from now? Kinda worried about bandwidth caps at the moment.

edit: derp sorry didn't read the stuff in the OP properly.

Sophia

Kagari said:
OT, but where is your avatar from?

Looks like it's from the Persona 1 Manga.

epmode said:
So these games should be on Steam already. Untapped market!

Yeah, there's so much untapped potential for middle range games like this on Steam. I'd totally buy all the Napishtim-engine games if they were priced accordingly and translated on Steam. D:

Ultratech

Installed it...I guess.

Seems like the exe you download just unloads a bunch of files into a folder and then there's some more stuff in there. If you go into the GYPS folder -> YSO_WIN -> yso_win.exe, you can launch the game from there.

Thanks OP!

Still at work so I can't actually download the game, but I did save the email to try to download later.

Does anyone know if the offer still stands if the item is not downloaded immediately?

MRORANGE

thanks OP, downloading now.

(Japanese publishers who create pc games REALLY need to put there games on DD services)

Aeana

Auron_Kale said:
Thanks OP!

Still at work so I can't actually download the game, but I did save the email to try to download later.

Does anyone know if the offer still stands if the item is not downloaded immediately?
The download link expires after 24 hours, according to the e-mail.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Japanese version with no English. :/

Leaving disappointed as I don't really want to play a game in full Japanese, esp. a JRPG and not understand it. :/

Aeana

TheSeks said:
Japanese version with no English. :/

Leaving disappointed as I don't really want to play a game in full Japanese, esp. a JRPG and not understand it. :/
Ys games besides 7 aren't super heavy on story, and this one in particular is very linear so odds of a non-speaker being able to get through fine are good. I would gladly explain the story stuff to people if they wanted, and also write up a mini-guide for actually playing the game. I understand that some people just don't want to play a game in a language they don't understand, though.

Ultratech

Played up to the first boss. Hadn't had anything weird happen yet, so it's all good for me.

This is actually a pretty fun game.

vall03

aw, looks like its not available for me since its already 30 in my timezone, oh well... I can wait for maybe a fan-translated version...

Aeana

Finished the download, and it seems to be working fine. Word of warning to everyone who is downloading this: you will need to use AppLocale to run the EXE and the game itself. That can be downloaded here. Windows 7 users will need to make sure to explicitly run the AppLocale installer as administrator.

Once installed, open AppLocale and choose the EXE you want to run, and then on the next part, select 日本語 (bottom option).

You may also need to rename the folder that it extracts to to remove the Japanese if you're having problems running it.

Ultratech

Yeah, I have my non-unicode (System Locale) set to Japanese, so I didn't have any issues. Best to set that up before you install it.

Aeana

Also note that while you can just run the game from the GPYS folder, if you run the インストールする.exe (with the blue icon, rename it to install.exe if it doesn't run), it will launch the game's actual installer and you'll get your shortcuts and everything. I recommend doing this, just to make sure everything's proper in the registry and such.

EDIT: Alternately, just run Fsetup3.exe in the GPYS folder.

Thanks! It'll be my first Ys game (not including Book I&II TGCD which I only played for a couple hours).

Hopefully a translation patch will follow. I'm not a big JRPG fan, so one of the only things I have to enjoy is the story.

Sophia

I give up trying to get this. The download's slowed to a crawl twice. Three hours of downloading only to have it fail isn't worth it. :\

Foffy

Banned
Drkirby said:
I can't say for sure if this will still work, since I believe the game has been patched since, but here is an English version of the Config Utility, which is also tauted as not requiring AppLocale
http://www.ysutopia.net/forums/index.php?topic=241.0

And this download is going to take a while, 100 kb/sec.

Stay away from that website. That guy's done BIG nonos for fan translations. He actually charged for his fan translations, as has held a grudge since someone posted his Oath in Felghana release for all to download. He's held it for years.

Aeana

Foffy said:
Stay away from that website. That guy's done BIG nonos for fan translations. He actually charged for his fan translations, as has held a grudge since someone posted his Oath in Felghana release for all to download. He's held it for years.
He is a total nut, but his translated config utility should still be helpful.

Top Bottom