• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Origin (PS4/Vita) |OT| Yes, you can start with this one too

Cornbread78

W2hx2BC.jpg

Developer: Nihon Falcom
Publisher(s):
JP: Nihon Falcom
WW: Marvelous USA
Port: DotEmu
Platform(s) Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita
Release dates:
Microsoft Windows
JP: December 21, 2006
WW: May 31, 2012

PlayStation 4: (PSN only)
EU: February 21, 2017
NA: February 21, 2017
Playstation Vita: (PSN only)
NA/EU: May 30, 2017
*(Cross-buy)*

Genre: Action role-playing game
Mode: Single player only

PSN Store Link:
EU PSN link

NA PSN link

File Size:
1.6GB

qb17tT2.jpg

Following a devastating demonic invasion, the twin Goddesses use their magic to bring the inhabitants of legendary Ys safely into the sky. While the demons work to construct Devil’s Tower and reach the humans’ new abode, the Goddesses disappear. You must seek them in Devil’s Tower and reveal its secrets.
(Ys Origin is a prequel to the Ys series and takes place 700 years before the events of Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished)

xBGUHhk.jpg

New Exclusive Features:
For the return of Ys Origin on PlayStation platforms, we decided to bring new features and enhancements while staying true to the series’ original spirit. Because the game has been “PC only” so far, our main objective was to create the best-possible console experience without devaluing those precious PC roots.
The biggest changes we made were to optimize the visuals and effects and improve the UI and menus so that players can enjoy the full HD widescreen experience. After several months of hard work, the game looks very nice and we really hope you’ll like it!
Moreover, for the pleasure of gamers worldwide, we also wanted to localize the game in as many languages as possible. Thus, the game will be available in Japanese and English via the amazing work on the 2012 PC version by XSEED Games, but also — and for the first time ever — in French, Italian, German, and Spanish

- new language options (French, Italian, German and Spanish) to go alongside the English and Japanese translations

Gameplay:
All playable characters have a "Boost Meter" that slowly fills as the game progresses. Once this meter has reached capacity, that character can be temporarily "Boosted" for quicker and stronger attacks and far greater defense. Once certain conditions have been reached during gameplay, boosted characters can utilize a special move called "Burst" that quickly depletes their Boost meter in favor of an ultra-powerful, extremely wide-ranging release of highly destructive energy

RrAoDdW.jpg

Yunica:
fCmx3mR.jpg

Yunica is able to wield axes and greatswords with ease. In addition to standard hack-and-slash combos, Yunica is also able to perform various aerial maneuvers such as the down-thrust and up-thrust from previous Ys games, as well as a crippling lunge attack

Hugo Fact:
ANbj9hQ.jpg

Hugo Fact can fire energy from his wand and his "Eyes of Fact" alike, he can often fill the screen with destructive power, mowing down all enemies in his path before they have a chance to get anywhere near him. With good timing, he can pull off a crippling "power shot," generating a debilitating pillar of pure magic with a wider area of effect

Hidden/Locked Character:
The Claw:
If you beat the game at least once (as any character) you unlock
"The Claw"
. This is done just by beating the game with either Yunica or Hugo.
This character reveals a lot of lore unfindable in the other paths, and has some plot twists (including ones relevant to more than just the story) that make it well worth playing. In battle, he attacks rapidly, wielding two large metal claws.

AH7Q2PR.jpg

Screenshots:

Videos:
PSX Announcement Trailer
Story Trailer
Game Trailer

Reviews:
Metacritic (PS4)

Trophies:
PSN Trophy List

62VHRNH.jpg

It appears that the game launched early, so here you go.

As a general reminder, please tag spoilers appropriately; don't be "that guy"

I can't believe it had been 10 years since I played this. Love the Ys series.

Edit: That's cause it wasn't 10 years! I played the World Wide version. I was so confused. Reading comprehension fail!

The best YS with Oath in Felghana!

Will gladly re-buy it if there's a retail version of the VITA version (since i already can play it on my television with the PC version)

Kaibutsu

I'm curious of what the price will be. It's still $19.99 on Steam so I'm guessing that?

edit: Oh nm, saw the EU link.

gaiages

Banned
Is it a "spoiler" though? If you think it is, I'll remove him

I personally don't think it is... But a good indicator I use is "has he been shown in the official trailers/screenshots as a playable character?" I haven't kept up on the media for this version of Origin, so I dont know. If he wasn't shown, though, you might wanna remove it and replace with "third secret character with important story" or something more elegant :D

Cornbread78

I personally don't think it is... But a good indicator I use is "has he been shown in the official trailers/screenshots as a playable character?" I haven't kept up on the media for this version of Origin, so I dont know. If he wasn't shown, though, you might wanna remove it and replace with "third secret character with important story" or something more elegant :D

Fair enough. I removed the image and spoilered just in case.

Will be interested to see how this runs on PS4. I'm waiting for the Vita version but I don't hold out much hope of it being optimized, hope I'm wrong on that.

OVDRobo

Bought and downloaded.

Tried it out for a few minutes.

New title screen. Everything seems to run solid (60 fps constantly, though I haven't got to any high intensity areas yet) and control as well as ever, though I'm not exactly Digital Foundry. The intro scene with the Roda tree was in 4:3 for some reason though I don't remember if it's like that on the PC, too. Everything else seems to be 16:9, though. Probably an engine issue?

Theme you get for purchasing it is pretty nice. Plays Feena and has some nice art.

jRPG

I completely forgot about this. Had no idea it was due so soon. Such a crowded time, still catching up from my Christmas backlog, not to mention the impending Switch launch, Nier and Horizon. I'll definitely pick it up, no idea when I'll get around to playing it though. Shamefully I've never played Origin before, can't wait to see what delights it has in store for me.

TheChaos0

I bought on PC when it came out but I've never even installed it, I'll probably actually get to play it if I buy it on Vita..it can join all my other Ys games on the Vita.

TheChaos0

I bought on PC when it came out but I've never even installed it, I'll probably actually get to play it if I buy it on Vita..it can join all my other Ys games on the Vita.

Tizoc

Thank you for making the thread OP!
I am playing through it on my PC ATM, Yunica on Hard, and so far it is managable and I am enjoying the gam all over again :3

Tizoc

Just here to say the obvious: best Ys game.

Also, Yunica > Adol.

Look I like Yunica as a positive female lead in a video game and XSEED did a good job with the localization to make her likable.
...but my homie Adol will always be #1
Adol= Yunica or Yunica = Adol I will agree to wholeheartedly though.

Cornbread78

Never played YS, but when I will have time to play it, I will buy it for the PSVITA! Maybe this summer... :)

It's said to be cross-buy, so I'll buy it now and most likely play once the Vita version comes out. I really want to boot up Witcher 3 and FFXIV finally.

Cornbread78

Any new features vs. the PC version on Steam?

From the OP (directly from their marketing piece):

New Exclusive Features:
For the return of Ys Origin on PlayStation platforms, we decided to bring new features and enhancements while staying true to the series’ original spirit. Because the game has been “PC only” so far, our main objective was to create the best-possible console experience without devaluing those precious PC roots.
The biggest changes we made were to optimize the visuals and effects and improve the UI and menus so that players can enjoy the full HD widescreen experience. After several months of hard work, the game looks very nice and we really hope you’ll like it!
Moreover, for the pleasure of gamers worldwide, we also wanted to localize the game in as many languages as possible. Thus, the game will be available in Japanese and English via the amazing work on the 2012 PC version by XSEED Games, but also — and for the first time ever — in French, Italian, German, and Spanish

- new language options (French, Italian, German and Spanish) to go alongside the English and Japanese translations

Tizoc

Protip for anyone having difficulty with a boss: Increase your level by 1 and they'll become manageable.

Netto-kun

The PS Store page link in the OP isn't working for me anymore. I guess someone accidentally made it available early than intended?

Top Bottom