• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Origin (PS4/Vita) |OT| Yes, you can start with this one too

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Nope. Huge bummer. So far I'm making due but I might end up remapping them through the system level option if it annoys me too much..

What is magic bound to by default?
I mean I never thought that the Normal mode HP values were low enough that you could win that way, but I guess I can see the reasoning from the point of view of making an "Ultimate Ys Challenge" mode.
Once you have a super solid grasp on what the Ys games expect from you at various points and how to gain exp super fast and keep gear upgraded normal mode HP values are basically bosses with wet toilet paper lifebars

These are games where 1 level makes the difference between killing a boss in 3 minutes or 6 and I'm going off of nightmare values lol

linkboy

Debating about picking this up. I already have the PC version, so I'm not in that much of a hurry.

Great game (and series) and I hope everyone's enjoying it (especially first time Ys players).

Paltheos

But yea it's anything like prior Nightmare modes in Falcom games, its all bullshit tedium anyway. Even if you perfectly understand the pattern, the protracted fight doesn't present any added challenge, just a demand for precision perfection over a longer period of time. No extra variables, no added learning, just poor balancing.

This is... incorrect? I don't know if you've played Oath, but it's my go-to example of higher difficulty done right... for the most part. All the bosses have changed algorithms and extra nuances. The Chester fight in the ruins and the fight with the giant, enemy bat are BS on Nightmare, but all the other bosses are legit tougher and not just bigger HP sponges.

What is magic bound to by default?

Attack - Square

Jump - X

Magic - Circle

Boost - Triangle

and R1 and L1 are shift through Magic

Once you have a super solid grasp on what the Ys games expect from you at various points and how to gain exp super fast normal mode HP values are basically bosses with wet toilet paper lifebars

Yeah I think of Ys as the Dragon Quest of ARPGs. When you first start playing them you may get the wrong impression due to inexperience(I.E you have to grind a lot to complete them) but once you become more experienced with the games you sort of develop a sense for progression that carries over throughout the entire series. One of the reasons I think it's really fun and rewarding to be a fan of both.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This is... incorrect? I don't know if you've played Oath, but it's my go-to example of higher difficulty done right... for the most part. All the bosses have changed algorithms and extra nuances. The Chester fight in the ruins and the fight with the giant, enemy bat are BS on Nightmare, but all the other bosses are legit tougher and not just bigger HP sponges.
Chester 1 I assume? They expected you to go back into town and buy the sword upgrade to make that fight fair LOL the bat is just ass though because of the dumb ass spike pits making you wait 10 hours on some attempts to get a solid attack in

Attack - Square

Jump - X

Magic - Circle

Boost - Triangle

and R1 and L1 are shift through Magic

This... is garbo. Rebinding the hell out of it then I guess. No easy magic charge 24/7 is bad, straight up ruins Yunica

Paltheos

Chester 1 I assume? They expected you to go back into town and buy the sword upgrade to make that fight fair LOL the bat is just ass though because of the dumb ass spike pits making you wait 10 hours on some attempts to get a solid attack in

Is that confirmed on the Chester fight? I think I did something like that on my run but don't remember offhand. And not exactly on the bat.

The Chester fight is unfair because he teleports constantly, tossing multiple knives in impossible to consistently dodge directions. This fight would be manageable if it were later in the game where you had more movement abilities, but nothing else can really prepare you for the fight imo. The only way I could beat him is by exploiting an AI bug to trap him in a loop.

The giant bat is unfair because he can easily trap you on one side of the bridge with nowhere to go to avoid his fireballs. It's surprisingly poorly thought out and relies on you getting lucky to survive.

Some of the other fights on Oath Nightmare might seem unfair at first but can be beaten consistently with perseverance or a little extra grinding to tank one more hit once you understand the boss' pattern. These two though - total BS.

Jolkien

What level are you and your weapon?

You should have it upgraded to Level 4 by that point and combined anything above level 22-23 character wise makes the fight cake.

I grinded from level 24 to 26 but my weapon is only level 3 hmmm my wind spell is level 3, the earth one is level 3 and the fire one is level 2.

Any pointer where is the latest weapon upgrade I was supposed to find ?

This is a great game ( have it on PC). Played through Hugo first, and I especially liked the personal interplay between him and
Epona
. Need to revisit partway through a secondary run with Yunica. At the same time I was playing Oath on PSP. Good stuff.

A visual bug this time. The Astille enemies in the last stretch of the game have their visual effect for pulling you towards them persist after death.

The dungeon is covered with them right now.

I grinded from level 24 to 26 but my weapon is only level 3 hmmm my wind spell is level 3, the earth one is level 3 and the fire one is level 2.

I'd bet money you're missing the one at the top of the Devil's Corridor. You have to continue up passed the exit of the area. It'll take you outside to where there's a chest containing a Cleria Ore.

I didn't find this one my first run until after the Zava encounter lol

Saphirax

The room that drained your health; climb to the top and there'll be a room that leads you to a chest containing Cleria Ore. Then you just need to go back to the entrance of the tower and use it to upgrade your weapon.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is that confirmed on the Chester fight? I think I did something like that on my run but don't remember offhand. And not exactly on the bat.

The Chester fight is unfair because he teleports constantly, tossing multiple knives in impossible to consistently dodge directions. This fight would be manageable if it were later in the game where you had more movement abilities, but nothing else can really prepare you for the fight imo. The only way I could beat him is by exploiting an AI bug to trap him in a loop.

The giant bat is unfair because he can easily trap you on one side of the bridge with nowhere to go to avoid his fireballs. It's surprisingly poorly thought out and relies on you getting lucky to survive.

Some of the other fights on Oath Nightmare might seem unfair at first but can be beaten consistently with perseverance or a little extra grinding to tank one more hit once you understand the boss' pattern. These two though - total BS.

Eh, chester 1 is easy enough single jumps are enough. For the bat you can jump the fireballs too.

I one shot both fights on my inferno play through I did a year after my first clear. Bat fight is still ass tho

The lava boss is so hard.. what a long fight. Don't know if I'll be able to kill it and im only on hard :p
who are you using?
If yunica you need to be suicidal with the hammer, do the charged spell right when he slams

Tizoc

The lava boss is so hard.. what a long fight. Don't know if I'll be able to kill it and im only on hard :p

Go up 1 or 2 levels, I found I managed to beat him with ease afterwards.
The thing that'll confuse one is his punches. I found that if you start by running right then taking out the fist he sends out then going left to take out the other arm, you end up taking less damage from his early attacks and lets you survive long enough to beat him.

Well Hugo hard is done. Play time about 7 and a half hours.

and yeah no Nightmare, Very Easy or 3rd Character. Guess they really want to lock you into playing all three. Makes sense now that I see there's no separate trophy for the 3rd person. Just Yunica, Hugo and all 3.

Oh well. Planned route still the same. Yunica Normal up next

Saphirax

Well Hugo hard is done. Play time about 7 and a half hours.

and yeah no Nightmare, Very Easy or 3rd Character. Guess they really want to lock you into playing all three. Makes sense now that I see there's no separate trophy for the 3rd person. Just Yunica, Hugo and all 3.

There is a trophy but it's hidden.

Jolkien

Any pointer as to where I can find the fourth armor ? I'm just after Rado's Annex and the monsters do 20-30+ damage per hit. I'm guessing I missed an armor piece.

Edit: Nevermind I just found the Reflex armor ;)

Cleared Yunica's. Got her completion and the no death trophy.

Still no Nightmare though lol. I guess it wants you to complete the game with all three characters before unlocking Nightmare.

Jolkien

Holy shit I can't comprehend how someone can finish this game and not die once.

Well I'm done for my first day of playing, I'm up against the Mantis boss now. I did not think this game would be this much fun.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Holy shit I can't comprehend how someone can finish this game and not die once.

Well I'm done for my first day of playing, I'm up against the Mantis boss now. I did not think this game would be this much fun.

It's patern memorization and muscle memory on reaction to certain things. MMO raiding is the same way

I think you can probably save scum the trophy, which I planned on doing just to get it.

but ended up just doing the whole thing legit lol. Felt pretty good about it. Especially since Yunica is probably the character I'm the worst with in this game.

Kensuke

Finished Yunica on Hard and now started on Hugo. Man, Hugo feels like easy mode. The range + shield has made it a cakewalk so far.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Finished Yunica on Hard and now started on Hugo. Man, Hugo feels like easy mode. The range + shield has made it a cakewalk so far.

Hugo is absoutley broken

The game is balanced around the 3rd character

Yunica is too weak

Hugo is too strong

3rd dude is perfect

The last boss with Yunica on nightmare is probably the most tedious fight in the entire series

B-Dex

Guys I feel silly but I can't progress past that room in flooded prison that's underwater and has that cracked wall and the lightning turtles.

Can someone tell me what to do there?

so how is the conversion? haven't seen much negativity.

It's really high quality. The blood is missing(only as a hit effect, still present in key scenes so it's not "censorship") and there are some minor audio issues.(Boss audio disappears on most attacks when you retry after death)

but it plays perfectly. No bugged trophies or unlocks either to my knowledge. People had me worried with Dotemu's "history" but overall it's a really solid piece of work. Just hope they'll be able to iron out some of the audio issues before I'm done with the game. I'd highly recommend picking the game up now, even as a Vita user since they've confirmed crossplay. I'd love to see them bring the other Napishtim engine games over after this as well.

Oh yeah there's no control mapping, but I got around that using the system level controller mapping. Been using R1 as circle on PS4 for a couple days now lol.

Kensuke

Hugo is absoutley broken

The game is balanced around the 3rd character

Yunica is too weak

Hugo is too strong

3rd dude is perfect

The last boss with Yunica on nightmare is probably the most tedious fight in the entire series

Yeah, that seems about right. The last boss only took 3 tries with Yunica though, the talisman you get from Roy really helps. It wasn't too bad because of that, just a long fight.

Jolkien

Whats the maximum level in this ? I'm level 52 and it takes forever to raise the xp bar, grinding in the demonic core. And I still need the 10k ennemies, does it carry in some sort of new game plus or something or I'm just stuck grinding the demonic core until I reach the cap ?

Top Bottom