• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII delayed last-minute on PC

This probably depends on the sales legs of Ys Seven.
Celceta has a big problem: it's acquired an increasingly negative or indifferent reputation amongst Ys fans, whether or not it's actually bad (I like it and still feel it's a let-down), and Seven has generally better word of mouth helping the PC release. Once VIII finally releases on PC and gets its own legs, games like Seven and Celceta will look old and outmoded by VIII since, for most people, it's just the better installment and sequel. Ys VI has done well despite Oath and Origin getting way more attention, but it's also $20 with frequent half-off sales and a free, comprehensive artbook (and is the definitive version thanks to Catastrophe Mode).

We don't know how much difficulty Hyde Inc. experienced while porting Seven from PSP to PC, so it's hard to gauge how difficult a non-PhyreEngine Falcom game on Vita would be to convert. But XSEED clearly took a risk porting Seven with a release just before VIII. The new game's delay on PC should help Seven PC in a way which Celceta can't benefit from, and Celceta might take more resources and time to port. So prospects for a port depend on Seven PC's sales and whether or not a lot of new Ys players feel like skipping less well-received entries. Having a finished but edit-worthy localization available already helps XSEED if they decide it's worth porting, and I would personally love to see a definitive version of the game which is much easier to configure and play than Joyoland's port.

Do we have a release date already?
Nope.

Blue-kun

Celceta has a big problem: it's acquired an increasingly negative or indifferent reputation amongst Ys fans, whether or not it's actually bad (I like it and still feel it's a let-down), and Seven has generally better word of mouth helping the PC release. Once VIII finally releases on PC and gets its own legs, games like Seven and Celceta will look old and outmoded by VIII since, for most people, it's just the better installment and sequel. Ys VI has done well despite Oath and Origin getting way more attention, but it's also $20 with frequent half-off sales and a free, comprehensive artbook (and is the definitive version thanks to Catastrophe Mode).

We don't know how much difficulty Hyde Inc. experienced while porting Seven from PSP to PC, so it's hard to gauge how difficult a non-PhyreEngine Falcom game on Vita would be to convert. But XSEED clearly took a risk porting Seven with a release just before VIII. The new game's delay on PC should help Seven PC in a way which Celceta can't benefit from, and Celceta might take more resources and time to port. So prospects for a port depend on Seven PC's sales and whether or not a lot of new Ys players feel like skipping less well-received entries. Having a finished but edit-worthy localization available already helps XSEED if they decide it's worth porting, and I would personally love to see a definitive version of the game which is much easier to configure and play than Joyoland's port.

Nope.

I know I'd jump right into a nice Celceta PC version, especially if they tinker around those ugly effects Falcom added to the game. Joyoland version outright removed it, so I'm sure it's possible to do it. Give us a sharper, less muddy Celceta that doesn't run like crap and is full of issue and I'll pay whatever.

Even if I do agree that it's the weakest of the party system games, it still has a bunch of strong moments. Couple great bosses and couple great tracks, plus Frieda, which was a surprise on how much I liked controlling her :)

And really, everyone should be able to listen to Morning After the Storm in context.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Lol, Durante putting in work.

Well, the Trails of Cold Steel port ended up being fantastic, so if that's indeed what's happening here... phew. That's great news, and I'll put up with whatever the delay ends up being to get that.

Shengar

Yeah it's not like the first time NISA ported a game to PC. At least they have the gall to delay and not fix it post launch.

Mivey

I don't think Japanese developers have anything to do with this so far.
You might never know. Ys 7 was ported by a Japanese "studio", if it is large enough to call it that, according to Xseed. Is there generally an external partner NISA turns to for these things?

duckroll

You might never know. Ys 7 was ported by a Japanese "studio", if it is large enough to call it that, according to Xseed. Is there generally an external partner NISA turns to for these things?

Yeah, it's possible the ports are handled by Japanese studios, I was just thinking that since Falcom isn't working on them, maybe XSEED and NISA are using small western studios, but Japan would still be cheaper,

preta

Yeah, it's possible the ports are handled by Japanese studios, I was just thinking that since Falcom isn't working on them, maybe XSEED and NISA are using small western studios, but Japan would still be cheaper,

Ys Seven was ported by Hyde, a JP studio.

Durask

Not cancelling my preorder because I am a Falcom fan and PS4 version is fantastic and certainly a candidate for my personal GoTY (haven't played Persona 5 so that may unseat it).

Elven_Star

New DRM incoming. Remember when hell got loose every time Square Enix announced last minute changes for Final Fantasy XV? Double standards anyone?

Eusis

Based Durante please grant us arbitrary framerates. If you're involved, that is.
At least it won't be one of those dumb 30 locked games, if it was going to be THAT special it'd have probably launched last month anyway.

Being locked at 60 would still suck though, I'd like to play on a 120hz+ monitor someday, nevermind those who do now.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/579180/announcements/detail/1457337090478104302

PC Version Release Update and Progress Report
OCTOBER 10 - NISAALEX
Note: This information can also be found in the forum post linked here. Please check the forums for the most updated information.

It has been a while since our initial September 12th announcement, and we apologize for the delay in communication and would like to issue an update on progress for Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA on PC. We were taking our time to be absolutely sure we were delivering the most accurate and up-to-date information to you.

Since we last made an announcement, we have been working tirelessly on improvements and bug fixes. We considered the overall issues, obstacles that arose during debug, and the maximum resources we have to address them and concluded that it will take another two months for the Steam release to meet the expectations we set for ourselves and guarantee the quality that every Ys fan has come to expect. In addition, we will use this time to apply the updated localization to the game[nisamerica.com].

This means that we plan to release the PC version around mid-December. We were unfortunately unable to deliver a simultaneous release with the Steam and console versions and apologize for our delayed postponement announcement. We deeply and earnestly apologize for not upholding the promise of the original Steam release and not notifying the community about the delays sooner.

Despite our missteps, we remain committed to delivering the best possible quality experience. With that in mind, here are some details about what exactly we've been working on.

After we delayed the release of Ys VIII on Steam, we reached out to Peter "Durante" Thoman for his expertise, and we are happy to report that he could share some of his hours with our developers these past few weeks. We asked Durante for his help with the following for this title: GPU performance improvements, CPU performance improvements, and developing a system for improving and regulating framerate. We also received feedback from Durante about a shadow rendering issue that we are looking into.

The above work has resulted in significant improvements in performance. However, due to the fact that we are receiving such an overwhelming number of system issues from both our internal QA Team and our Beta testers, these issues will take considerable time to repair. As previously stated in our last announcement, fixes in one area can lead to something breaking in another, so we have to be methodical in our application of fixes and improvements. In addition to improvements in the game's system, we are also updating, fixing, and improving the game text across the Japanese, English, and French versions. This also requires a significant amount of time, due to the size of the game and our commitment to localizing the text to both English and French.

After assessing all of these factors, we concluded that approximately two more months of development time is needed to reach the level of quality we and the fans want. We thank you for your constant feedback and again apologize for the inconsistent communication.
If you have made a pre-purchase on Steam and would like to get a refund, please use this link for information on how to refund a product on Steam. For any purchases or pre-orders made outside of the Steam platform, please contact the corresponding refund support for that platform.

We sincerely apologize for these delays and we humbly request your patience.
Best,
NISA Team

Mid-December confirmed, Durante helping out a little bit.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wow. 3 months after the planned launch.

Well, at least that suggests they're committed to really fixing the problems rather than just putting a band-aid on it. I can at least applaud that.

Nyoro SF

I see. I have to admit that NISA is being amazingly professional with their responses, despite their mistakes.

Here's hoping that Durante and their team can turn it around and deliver a good port.

I need time to finish Cold Steel 3 anyway. :p

Kvik

As much as I love Durante's work, I wish more developer actually knows what they were doing without actually having to ask for his expertise.

I'm sure he has plenty of games in the backlog just like the rest of us :p

preta

Even if the port ends up being decent after all is said and done, I really doubt that a month and a half is enough time to seriously fix the localization. They could fix some of the obvious, glaring issues that people meme and joke about, for sure, but the overall dialogue quality is low. And that doesn't even take into account that they're bringing new people onto the project for this, who will have to familiarize themselves with it first. And then they're going to re-record relevant voiced lines afterward... it feels like they don't even realize that rushing was a big part of why the initial loc ended up the way it did.

Top Bottom