• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

Bladenic

Wow!!! So Dana's segments were pretty short and ho-hum then. I loved her dungeon and playing as her. I'm surprised that dungeon wasn't part of the game to begin with. Homestly when they first announced Adol/Dana I was under the impression Dana's segments were meant to echo old Adol-only (or Origin) gameplay while the rest was Seven onward. It really didn't turn out that way but clearly even less so in the Vita version.

DPB

When does Adol get some more skills? He's level 46 and I've already maxed out all nine ages ago. I probably shouldn't have equipped those accessories that increase the rate your skills level up, I feel like I should be using other characters more who still have skills left to increase.

Thud

When does Adol get some more skills? He's level 46 and I've already maxed out all nine ages ago. I probably shouldn't have equipped those accessories that increase the rate your skills level up, I feel like I should be using other characters more who still have skills left to increase.

Time to use other characters then!

If you fight higher level mobs you'll get more skills. Plus there's
Master Kong's skill
for each character.

From my experience, characters sparkle new skills from fighting monsters with a higher level than then. If you want to maximaze the learning rate equipped al characters in your active party with those accesories and use your new skills as much as possible.

There are
12 skills per character
If im not remembering incorrectly.

jorgeton

Falcom's original English name was Crevice of the Archeozoic Age or at least SOMETHING that used crevice rather than BIG HOLE.

Honestly I can't take anything about the translation seriously after Archeozoic BIG HOLE. Like, crater would've worked but somehow BIG HOLE was chosen.

So even Japan has caught wind of how garbage the localization is..

Surprised the initiative to email Falcom caught traction.

lol

20171006-55650-001.jpg

Luckily the game itself is fire.

Bladenic

I've got almost all my skills maxed but Sahad is the only one still missing a skill. I've thought high level enemies but he still hasn't sparked it, ugh.

jorgeton

Just takes a bit of practice and willpower! If my hands that are regularly collapsing on themselves daily can do it anyone can! Well maybe if you don't have hands but Im not one to judge :D

I admire your commitment! If anything, I'll try inferno on NG+. I'm kind of smitten with how well balanced hard mode feels for me, so gonna stick with that til the end.

DPB

Time to use other characters then!

If you fight higher level mobs you'll get more skills. Plus there's
Master Kong's skill
for each character.

From my experience, characters sparkle new skills from fighting monsters with a higher level than then. If you want to maximaze the learning rate equipped al characters in your active party with those accesories and use your new skills as much as possible.

There are
12 skills per character
If im not remembering incorrectly.

Ah, that makes sense, apart the occasional dinosaur everything is round about the same level as my party. I was thinking it was tied to character level, rather than fighting higher level enemies.

Bladenic

Okay I'm missing two monster entries. 4th monster down under Kingdom of Eternia and enemy between Eldemblondia and Geisel under Ancient Dragon Species.

Also can anyone tell me what the last two hidden trophies are before the story quests? I'm guessing one is Nightmare difficulty related?

Hm. So I'm in chapter 6 and I have the quest on the board to
fight Silvia
, but I can't figure out how to actually start the battle. I mean, I can't
even find her

Bladenic

What carries over for NG+ and is a Nightmare playthrough allowed in NG+? It's the only trophy I'm missing but I'm not gonna replay the game unless I can make it easy and fast.

I wonder wehy they didn't use the animations in the intro in the main game...

What carries over for NG+ and is a Nightmare playthrough allowed in NG+? It's the only trophy I'm missing but I'm not gonna replay the game unless I can make it easy and fast.

Nightmare in NG+: Yes. I'm playing through exactly that right now. It's pish.

What carries over: You choose!
Character lvl, Skill/Skill lvl, Equipment (excluding wpns and adventure items), Consumables (some exclusions), Materials/Ingredients, Exploration Progress, Treasure/Harvest points on the map, Various Ore x10 (for completing a playthrough), Empty Bottle x3, Infinity Mode (Extra hard mobs, thrice the drops.)

Quonny

Whatever idiot designed the no-animation 3 second knockdown roar that end game enemies have should seriously be examined. This is so bullshit. Everything in the game so far has been fair, but hard. But this? Not fair. Not fun.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Whatever idiot designed the no-animation 3 second knockdown roar that end game enemies have should seriously be examined. This is so bullshit. Everything in the game so far has been fair, but hard. But this? Not fair. Not fun.
Yup it fucking sucks, my only advice is fight those guys very passive aggressively also WAGGLE THE FUCK out of the analog stick if you get knocked down you can get up fast

sibarraz

Banned
I wonder wehy they didn't use the animations in the intro in the main game...

Nightmare in NG+: Yes. I'm playing through exactly that right now. It's pish.

What carries over: You choose!
Character lvl, Skill/Skill lvl, Equipment (excluding wpns and adventure items), Consumables (some exclusions), Materials/Ingredients, Exploration Progress, Treasure/Harvest points on the map, Various Ore x10 (for completing a playthrough), Empty Bottle x3, Infinity Mode (Extra hard mobs, thrice the drops.)

I dont get this, you only pick one of those?

Also, can you play the NG+ ON inferno? Im already playing my first run on nightmare

Just finished at about 50 hours. Had a blast.
What's this about a bonus dungeon? Is it the Silent Tower or something else
?

On the hill next to the interception gate. Talk twice.

I must have been at a weird part because she wasn't there the first time I looked. I moved the main plot forward a smidge and then she showed up.

I dont get this, you only pick one of those?

Also, can you play the NG+ ON inferno? Im already playing my first run on nightmare

You choose whichever ones you want.

My guess would be yes, you can play NG+ on Inferno. (I mean I didn't see anything saying X difficulty wasn't available on difficulty selection screen of my NG+ game.)

Thud

Just finished at about 50 hours. Had a blast.
What's this about a bonus dungeon? Is it the Silent Tower or something else
?

I must have been at a weird part because she wasn't there the first time I looked. I moved the main plot forward a smidge and then she showed up.

Some of the interceptions are tied to story progression. I failed one and quests started popping lol.

Greye

Is there an option for the classic overhead/birdseye camera view (on Vita?) Or only the new third person camera? I have a feeling it's to close.

sibarraz

Banned
One great improvement over celceta, is that now is easier to complete the map, chests and harvest points since the game tells you in the UI how many of each is on that specific part of the map.

Also, the fact that when you 100% a zone, everything is clear, unlike celceta were sone parts still were a little foggy

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
One great improvement over celceta, is that now is easier to complete the map, chests and harvest points since the game tells you in the UI how many of each is on that specific part of the map.

Also, the fact that when you 100% a zone, everything is clear, unlike celceta were sone parts still were a little foggy

Also that adventure tool that increases your map filling range is a damn godsend with how far it reaches mixed with those changes

I was going to try and platinum it (only had the exploration with teammates and true ending on Nightmare or above remaining) but rushing through zones and conversations isn't how I want to sign off with this and so will leave it incomplete for now.

I did yes, still missing the last entry - I have suppression and interceptions to do - is that related?

Could be. I did it recently but can't remember. It was one of the last memos I had to get so it could be related to those. Apologies for not being much help.

According to GFAQs:

Her gift is in the final dungeon and you have to get to the last crystal before the final boss, teleport out and talk to her to get her side quest.

There's no guides on memo collection so I'll take my chances and do the last interceptions.

Fingers crossed!

Easily my GOTY.

NeoSeeker has a extensive guide and yet memos is missing from theirs as well. Weird.

Edit: Just recalled the Griselda thing I forgot:

Did you do the monolith thing for her?

Sorry if you have >_<

Pookmunki

It's ok, I'm just stupid!

Gave her the gifts but i never spoke to her afterwards when she was at full approval. Loaded clear save, spoke to her and got the trophy.

Thanks for the assist!

Bladenic

Platinum obtained, 66 hours, second Nightmare playthrough only took 11 hours.

Def one of my favorite RPGs, and probably my favorite Ys game so far. Can't wait for Ys 9/5 remake :)

Quonny

Just beat it. Nightmare, 48 hours. Got all the missables, now just to mop up the trophies.

This is my game of the year and one of my favorite games of all time. I haven't had this much solid joy playing a game in a long, long time. You feel like a god by the end, but it's not easy. You're so speedy, dodging and blocking, weaving skills and attacks, it's just so damn good.

The only frustrations are the subpar translation and the couple of very frustrating enemies and sidequests. But man, I loved this game. Ys has always been great, but this entry truly stands above all others for me. Bravo.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Just beat it. Nightmare, 48 hours. Got all the missables, now just to mop up the trophies.

This is my game of the year and one of my favorite games of all time. I haven't had this much solid joy playing a game in a long, long time. You feel like a god by the end, but it's not easy. You're so speedy, dodging and blocking, weaving skills and attacks, it's just so damn good.

The only frustrations are the subpar translation and the couple of very frustrating enemies and sidequests. But man, I loved this game. Ys has always been great, but this entry truly stands above all others for me. Bravo.

The second to last boss was garbage on an inferno no items run let me tell ya LOL more specifically
the phase with the monkeys

Top Bottom