• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

Pookmunki

I have to shout out the quality of life focus that this game has.

Markers to show completion rates and component locations, a comprehensive journal that shows missing stuff, quick, easy fast travel and the zippy combat and traversal make a 50 hour play through feel like 5. There's just so little bullshit or wasted time, continuing these Ys traditions perfectly.

Sublime.

Usobuko

Banned
I have to shout out the quality of life focus that this game has.

Markers to show completion rates and component locations, a comprehensive journal that shows missing stuff, quick, easy fast travel and the zippy combat and traversal make a 50 hour play through feel like 5. There's just so little bullshit or wasted time, continuing these Ys traditions perfectly.

Sublime.

Heavy breathing gif after coming from Celceta.

Are there lists for all items and skills?
Almost everything done, only missing 6 items. 4 are accessories, and the other 2 are Armor / arms. I only know how to get one more armor from Aaron.

Finished the map 100%, all chests, finished the final extra dungeon etc.

I also maxed out all the skills I have, but seems like I'm missing one or more skills, because no trophy yet.

Dana and Sahad are not level 90 yet. Do they get more skills?

Edit: Oh, i realized Dina trades stuff like some accessories which I need for the item completion, even if i have some of them already.

Edit: Ok, still 1 accessorie missing.
Dina still got that fairy necklace, but i got that already a few times,so I think that doesn't count. Don't know where to search for the last accessorie now.

Also still missing the last armor, arms.

Edit: Ah, I think i have to find mishi again and feed him all meals. Don't remember where he is located, lol.

Edit: Got all items. The one was Mishy and the other one was getting S ranking in an interception.

Quonny

Which achievements are missable in this game? I want to get everything in one run.

As long as you check the quest board often (a couple times a chapter, always after a big event) and complete the quests, I don't think anything is missable. Oh, and if for some reason you don't upgrade two of your party members weapons to their final upgradable form before the last 5% of the game, you can miss that trophy. But you'd have to literally just ignore weapon upgrades to miss that.

Ricotta's handmade traps are hilarious

They proc a lot of hits so you can end up triggering status effects really quickly on big enemies when you spam them. Fun dealing with certain Ancient species with them

This game is so good. Chapter 5 just keeps going, I keep thinking surely it must be ending soon, but nope still more to go. Just got to the part where
The meteors fall on the city, and we're heading into the Valley of Kings.
No Spoilers but is chapter 6 really short in comparison?

preta

This game is so good. Chapter 5 just keeps going, I keep thinking surely it must be ending soon, but nope still more to go. Just got to the part where
The meteors fall on the city, and we're heading into the Valley of Kings.
No Spoilers but is chapter 6 really short in comparison?

Nope. It's also long.

sibarraz

Banned
As long as you check the quest board often (a couple times a chapter, always after a big event) and complete the quests, I don't think anything is missable. Oh, and if for some reason you don't upgrade two of your party members weapons to their final upgradable form before the last 5% of the game, you can miss that trophy. But you'd have to literally just ignore weapon upgrades to miss that.

I could totally see myself doing that, in celceta I got the last sun stone at the final dungeon, and for some reason couldnt return to selray to uograde my weapon, do I need a very specific item to miss the last upgrade?

Quonny

I could totally see myself doing that, in celceta I got the last sun stone at the final dungeon, and for some reason couldnt return to selray to uograde my weapon, do I need a very specific item to miss the last upgrade?
One is story related, the other is a sidequest. Both are super end game.

Start on Nightmare, and as long as you’re opening treasures (the map view distance adventure gear should never leave your active inventory), visiting all the question marks that appear on your map (if you can, some very obviously require things you haven’t gotten yet), doing side quests ASAP, and upgrading your weapons at a good pace (you just need to unlock them, not upgrade them within their own tier), you can get everything in one playthrough.

I personally 100% every region as I went through it, as long as it was possible. The map system is super in depth and makes tracking things really easy.

ys45

I finished the game yesterday... and wow this is the best "new" Ys game so far.
Damn the story took a turn where I was not expecting it to go.

The knowledge that Adol will have at the end of his life is incredible
I wonder if the Romun empire will not eventually start to hunt him down because of this.
He gets a few warning throughout the game by Aaron and Griselda
I also did a lot of achievement just because it was fun, you see that's one of the few games where I liked doing optional stuff like getting all fish or uncovering all the map because the game is fun and doesn't feel like a chore.
Completed all journal entries for everyone which I think was worth it, I really liked that each person in the village had a story, it gave them more depth.

Oh and I had a question, English is not my native language but is it me? Or most of the boss titles makes no sense at all? -Boss name spoiler-
Passion of the dawn-fearing hermit
WTF does that even mean?

eXistor

Finished it a few days ago, including the bonus dungeon. Really, really great game and one of my top titles this year for sure. Didn't care for the story and the characters are pretty one-dimensional and cliché-ridden, but besides this it was a hoot and a half. Fun dungeons, terrific music, smooth-ass controls. Here's hoping Adol will get another solo adventure in the future, but I kinda doubt it.

NIN90

How do I get a goddamn Dragon Jackpot as Dana? Need it for that one side quest.

Where do I find the pure orchialchum (or something) for the sidequest in chapter 6?

There's multiple places for these. One of them is in a chest in
the place that needs 24 villagers to unlock, in the east of the island.

Mr.Jeff

The second to last boss was garbage on an inferno no items run let me tell ya LOL more specifically
the phase with the monkeys
I didn't find that the hardest part. I could deal with all of it apart from:
the completely 100% arbitrary move where the boss decides to reabsorb all the monsters but still allow them to attack you while you can't move.
The number of times that happened I cannot begin to tell you.

Just started playing this last night, I am loving it so far. It feels like they basically took every type of side activity and put it in here. Cooking, Fishing, Crafting, Quest Board, City Building kind of, Finding location points, character affection and more. Whew gonna take awhile to do all this.

Wagram

Haven't had a whole lot of time to play recently. Time to jump back in to what i'm assuming is the final story dungeon.

Granjinha

So, uh, i just got a PR by NISA, it says this basically:

An apology from Takuro Yamashita, President and CEO of NIS America, Inc.

To All Customers of Ys VIII,

Thank you for all the feedback and support we have received since the launch of Ys VIII. It has
come to my attention that the quality of the Ys VIII localization has not reached an acceptable
level by our own standards, but most importantly by yours. As president of NIS America, Inc. I
want to apologize to you personally for this grave error. This situation should not have happened
– especially to a game as wonderful as Ys VIII and by a company that strives to deliver the very
best customer experience in each title. We have begun internally to investigate the causes of this
situation as well as to implement steps to ensure that a similar situation does not occur again.

As for Ys VIII itself, we will have a new translator and editor go over the entire localization to fix
grammatical errors, typos, inconsistencies, and also to take a fresh look at the dialog and
characterizations. For the script, where necessary, we will re-translate and re-edit the game
including updating voicework to reflect these changes. We plan to have this work done by the
end of November and will offer the updated localization free of charge for both the PlayStation
4 and PlayStation Vita versions of the game via patch. The Steam version of the game will
include this localization in its initial release.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Guess I'll be saving my Nightmare playthrough for whenever the localization patch hits, then.

Though I'm skeptical that they'll be able to get all that done in less than two months.

I'm still gonna finish the plat. I'll replay the entire game without skipping scenes sometime in the future. I'm not bothered by the translation enough to put the game on hold

It's good that they will patch the ps4 version. Outside of the localization the game was pretty good, this could actually make me delay my plan of getting the pc version.

Wagram

Damn
Io the Dragon
is a pretty huge endurance fight. Doesn't seem so bad. I had it at like 15% before I messed up. Much harder i've faced in the game so far, but tough.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I didn't find that the hardest part. I could deal with all of it apart from:
the completely 100% arbitrary move where the boss decides to reabsorb all the monsters but still allow them to attack you while you can't move.
The number of times that happened I cannot begin to tell you.

That's a dps check fail, which is why that one phase sucks
It is always gonna happen is a ton of time passes or too many things are spawned and he cant spawn more

Damn
Io the Dragon
is a pretty huge endurance fight. Doesn't seem so bad. I had it at like 15% before I messed up. Much harder i've faced in the game so far, but tough.
Always keep dragon stance going in default and earth form, disable it in light form until after a dodge/block combo then go in.

Vs red mode get in her face when she does the fire puddle and dodge/block 3 spin attacks, dodge block repeat, in earth form dodge/block jump normal into spin once, in light form leave dragon aura disabled, dodge/block enable, 40 sp move x2 , disable, dodge block repeat

Mr.Jeff

That's a dps check fail, which is why that one phase sucks
It is always gonna happen is a ton of time passes or too many things are spawned and he cant spawn more

Hmm I don't know.
I've had it happen right after he spawns the initial batch of monsters or right after another initial spawn as well. If that triggers it off, I'm calling bullshit.
I don't mind the healing, it's the fact they can still attack you. It's incredibly hard to dodge monsters that are getting sucked back in at that speed.

Monkeys? fine, Continuous waves? fine. Additional attacks that basically insta kill you?
fine. Healing mechanic? Fine. Getting arbitrarily assaulted and being unable to do anything about it is nonsense.

But it's done and over and I'm free.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
6-7 weeks seems awfully ambitious for re-editing the game, re-recording voices, doing a QA pass, and going through Sony QA/cert (during the busiest time of the year). I'd have more faith in them doing the game justice if they gave a less ambitious date, something like early 2018.

Looks like I'll finish the game on PS4 the coming days (doing a Nightmare run for the platinum) and the Vita game later, when the re-translation is done.

sibarraz

Banned
Does the localization harm the story in anyway? As my posts coukd tell, I dont speak english natively and that well, so some of the localization issues fly over my head.

Asking since I want to know if I would finish the game this mknth or wait for december

Does the localization harm the story in anyway? As my posts coukd tell, I dont speak english natively and that well, so some of the localization issues fly over my head.

Asking since I want to know if I would finish the game this mknth or wait for december

it doesn't, the story is never that great in YS games... i played first in japanese when it was released on vita and guessed most of the story thanks to the cutscenes and names of some area that were alread in english! So even with some error, you won't miss anything

also english is not my main language either... i noticed some dumb translation, but it doesn't make the game less enjoyable

Quonny

I don't come to Ys for the story. While this one isn't bad, it's not that good.

I actually just skipped every scene about half way through the game except for my castaway interactions and enjoyed the game much more.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I enjoyed the story, I appreciate the world building across the series
I actually just skipped every scene about half way through the game except for my castaway interactions and enjoyed the game much more.

So you skipped the half of the story that actually mattered

Thud

Uh, not really. He's already committed to the Cold Steel 2 PC port. At best, he's a consultant for Ys VIII's port. So I wouldn't get my hopes up.

It does sound more like a quick fix than proper work.

Cold Steel even got an update yesterday.

Fettbacke

Neo Member
The Bossfight against
Nameless
is way to much for me. Its just to much shit i cant dodge.

Playing on hard and dont feel like changing the difficulty. I just dont care anymore :/

NIN90

That R1 button fast-forwarding became a constant companion by the halfway point. These party-based titles are just too goddamn wordy.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The Bossfight against
Nameless
is way to much for me. Its just to much shit i cant dodge.

Playing on hard and dont feel like changing the difficulty. I just dont care anymore :/

It's not about "dodging" stay in his face and proc flash dodge/guard and burn him down he attacks so much he lets you reset it while it's still up almost until he dies, you are invincible while either of the procs are active. He's basically the TEST to see if you understand that mechanic yet.

Just avoid the ropes and mines and let him come to you, when he does the ground stab into aoe wait about half a second then roll then guard shortly after. In general that should be your go to method for stuff try to dodge first then mid dodge guard. If you mess the dodge up the guard will cover you and if you do it right the guard wont trigger and you can just press guard again after the flash dodge activation animation ends to stack both effects. Also outside of a few situations dodge WITH the attack not through it this leaves you in it's active hitbox longer letting you trigger both or the guard more cleanly

Took me about 4 or 5 tries on him on inferno my first time just keep in his face and make note of what I said about the dodge/guard stuff. He's a very agressive boss, so abuse that against him

Eusis

6-7 weeks seems awfully ambitious for re-editing the game, re-recording voices, doing a QA pass, and going through Sony QA/cert (during the busiest time of the year). I'd have more faith in them doing the game justice if they gave a less ambitious date, something like early 2018.
I suspect this has been under way basically since launch and they just announced it now. I also don't really expect a full on re-localization, just zeroing in on what people have highlighted and complained about, especially BIG HOLE. Not unless they think that's how like Spoony Bard or something anyway.

Viale

I suspect this has been under way basically since launch and they just announced it now. I also don't really expect a full on re-localization, just zeroing in on what people have highlighted and complained about, especially BIG HOLE. Not unless they think that's how like Spoony Bard or something anyway.

I think you're right which is mildly disappointing, but I imagine it would be a huge undertaking to try and reedit the script in its' entirety. I still found the game play and even some of the story excellent though, so it'll be nice to have more reason to replay the game in a few months since I'm already feeling the itch.

Thud

Yep, I think they're more than likely tackling problematic phrases.

The danger is that there might be an inconsistency in style after the retranslation.
With the Japanese voice acting on characters do feel more alive. The danganronpa games aren't perfect by any means, but at least they make character fun.

Now as a non-native English speaker, I'm less bothered by the dry and literal translations. I've also seen my fair share of horrible fantranslations. However the current situation shouldn't have happened. It's not professional.

I've been meaning to get back in the game again, but I've been held back by the snes mini lol.

Top Bottom