• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

KiteGr

Patch with huge improvements (and an experimental local co-op mode!) by Durante (Dark Souls Fix guy).
I was just checking on the game recently to see if it's at a good state to play yet, I guess this settles it, ha.
Man.
I should had played it a month later.

Pejo

Patch with huge improvements (and an experimental local co-op mode!) by Durante (Dark Souls Fix guy).
I was just checking on the game recently to see if it's at a good state to play yet, I guess this settles it, ha.
Thanks for the heads up, bought. Durante is the man.

fatty

I will have to keep this on my radar. Currently playing my first Ys game, Ys VII, really enjoying it. Had no idea how much action type gameplay was required (similar to Zelda), and these bosses are kin of tough, too. But I’m glad a gaffer here got me onto the series.

belmarduk

Its really awesome that GAF is still talking about this game! I picked it up again after a long pause and its fun as hell. Almost at the end.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Finally finished the game today. Glad I waited for that PC patch - the game's finally in the state it should've been in like 2 years ago.

Anyway, I really liked it. The combat was super fun, which is good, because there was an awful lot of it. The game might've been a tad too long for its own good, but I obviously enjoyed it, seeing as how I did pretty much everything you can do in the game (including the extra dungeon). I was a little disappointed with the soundtrack, though. It was good, and had some definite standout tracks, but it felt too... I dunno... Mega Man X-ish? Not enough moody tracks, and the hard rockin' tracks weren't quite hard enough.

So... Part IX, when?

Clockwork5

Eyeing this on switch since it’s on sale. Could anyone chime in on the UI in handheld? I struggle with some, I guess you would say, “console experiences” in handheld because sometimes the text is just too tiny (I’m squinting at you, Fire Emblem). Any feedback? It looks like an awesome game that kinda flew under the radar for me.

kingbean

Eyeing this on switch since it’s on sale. Could anyone chime in on the UI in handheld? I struggle with some, I guess you would say, “console experiences” in handheld because sometimes the text is just too tiny (I’m squinting at you, Fire Emblem). Any feedback? It looks like an awesome game that kinda flew under the radar for me.

I hate small UIs too but I played like 25 hours on it and it was totally fine.

Ended up switching back to PC as I wanted to play at 144hz.

belmarduk

I never had any problems with it. Very streamlined.

w92kp

Neo Member
Bought this on the sale and playing it in coop over parsec with a friend. It's a bit janky, but it works. Having an absolute blast on Inferno.

Just got the PS5 version today. I’ve never played any games in the series. I decided to give it a try since I have been on a JRPG kick lately.

Enjoying it so far, but goddamn, the default controls must be the worst I have ever seen in any game. Switch character is on a button usually used for attacks. The main triggers bring up the item menu. During battle I am constantly pulling up the minimap when trying to dodge. Lock on is a face button instead of R3… everything just feels backwards. The problem is, when I change button layout, I find myself accidentally using the original layout.

The music in this game is awesome. The dialogue is fun. It feels like an old JRPG (which it is) with PS3 graphics slapped on, running at 4K. Oddly, it seems to run in HDR mode, but it doesn’t actually have HDR lighting.

Vyse

Gold Member
Have this game sitting next to my PS5. Might give it a shot. Played Ys book I &II on my turbografx CD back in the day. Very fond memories!

Other than a break to play Jusant, and the past week with Gran Turismo 7, I’ve been playing this game every day. Such a fantastic game. Just when I felt maybe the game was going to drag, a bunch of exciting stuff happened and kept me going strong. I am so happy that I never had this game spoiled.

After a few hours of the PS5 version, I was really bothered by the weird rendering of the animated video. It’s as though they re-rendered the animation at 60fps, but the hand-drawn stuff was kept at 30fps. I've never seen anything like this. It’s very jarring. The controls are also frustrating.

I downloaded the PS4 demo and everything immediately felt better. The control layout makes far more sense, and the animated sequences look proper. So, I bought the digital PS4 version for $20 and restarted. It was the right choice. The PS4 version looks almost the same and has the same load times. No DLC, but the default outfits are skimpy enough to get the job done.

The last time a JRPG kept me this entranced was probably Persona 5.

Top Bottom