• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: NISA apologies for localisation, will be patched in November

L~A

Just received that PR regarding Ys VIII... unique localisation.

1ujs41.png

tldr: please forgive us, no more big holes that are important to Dana from late November, and PC version to launch with new localisation (so not before the end of November).

For those who didn't know why NISA had to issue an apology in the first place...

https://imgur.com/a/g6f8y

Courtesy of Mato.

Nyoro SF

I am honestly shocked that they admitted fault and have promised to fix it.
My opinion of NISA has raised somewhat.

Sooooooooooo Ys 8 PC release is in November?

Looks like it. Guess that's the minimum time frame needed to fix the bugs.

Koppai

It's so rare for a company to admit that they fucked up and are working on fixing it for the customers who already purchased their game. Bravo NISA

Tizoc

I am honestly shocked that they admitted fault and have promised to fix it.
My opinion of NISA has raised somewhat.

Looks like it. Guess that's the minimum time frame needed to fix the bugs.

Guess I'll request a refund from GOG for now. Curious if NISA will compensate for the PC delay somehow...

LiK

What happened to make it bad? Danganronpa V3 was amazing as expected. Glad I didn't get this at launch then.

Takes a lot to admit that. I’m still very happy NISA got Ys VIII (wish the PC version wasn’t delayed) because they’ve managed getting Kondo to do a shitload of interviews, promoted Falcom more in the last few months than anyone did in the last few years in the West.

Happy to see this, especially since it brings down an otherwise amazing game (*probably* my GOTY). Bummed they didn’t do this in the first place. Annoyed my pricey CE won’t have the updated translation on disc.

GDI I just started playing this game on my Vita last night lol.

... Meh, I'll probably just keep playing it. I've played worse translated games, I'm sure.

gone talking to a wall

Kalor

I thought this would be an apology about the PC version at first. I'm curious to see how this turns out but it wouldn't surprise me if this was a bid to get other Falcom games as well. I was to going to buy VIII shortly but I guess I'll wait.

GDI I just started playing this game on my Vita last night lol.

... Meh, I'll probably just keep playing it. I've played worse translated games, I'm sure.

gone talking to a wall

It gets a little worse as you progress, especially once the plot reveals start coming. It’s never downright terrible, but it’s often quite awkward.

What happened to make it bad? Danganronpa V3 was amazing as expected. Glad I didn't get this at launch then.

I'd imagine they either had less budget for Ys 8 or gave it to a less competent team (perhaps because they had their "A" team busy with Danganronpa.) Maybe they figured they'd get away with phoning it in a bit because Ys is a game you play more for the gameplay than the story/dialogue, whereas a game like Danganronpa lives and dies on the quality of its localization.

I’m like 30% in and I haven’t noticed anything glaring, but I guess bad parts could come later.

Why is the letter in the OP an image and not text?

I’ve seen more complaints about the DR V3 localization than Ys VIII. Lol.
Really? I just beat DR V3 a couple of nights ago, and I honestly didn't see many issues at all..? Maybe I'm just not as observant about stuff like that.

It gets a little worse as you progress, especially once the plot reveals start coming. It’s never downright terrible, but it’s often quite awkward.

Ahh OK good to know. I might just stick with it.

.. Or I could start the new Legend of Heroes game in the meantime.

Espada

Wow, this is pretty big. People gave NISA a lot of shit, especially when Falcom chose them over XSEED, but this letter shows they're responsive to their customers desires. It would be all too easy to just leave the game as is, but they don't want that hurting their reputation it seems.

Derkon

Almost done with my first play-though here and while I haven't noticed any major issues it could be better in some places. Glad they aren't just ignoring feedback and doing something about it.

Ascheroth

Wow, this is pretty big. People gave NISA a lot of shit, especially when Falcom chose them over XSEED, but this letter shows they're responsive to their customers desires. It would be all too easy to just leave the game as is, but they don't want that hurting their reputation it seems.
Let's be real here. This should never have happened to begin with.
Kind of feels like they wanted to outbid Xseed no matter what and then they realised they had to cut a lot of corners to make it in time.
But good on them for owning up and promising to fix it.

Zhao_Yun

Good on them for trying to fix it. The localisation definitely feels off in many places, but it doesn't bother me enough to interrupt my playthrough now.

LiK

I’ve seen more complaints about the DR V3 localization than Ys VIII. Lol.

Really? Seems almost everyone was happy with it in OT and Spoilers thread. I've been happy with all their DR localizations, tbh. I guess maybe some people don't like the American pop culture references.

Started to play this last night, and loving it but yes some of the localization is awful. I will admit I laughed my ass off at the Allison part.

Rightfully so, they bragged about their quality and competence during the initial announcement and NISA's localization work is usually atrocious. I expected this from their Ys VIII work, but not as bad as it has been lol

ys45

Well, this is a first I never saw any games getting a revision in their translation (except SAO).
But still, this is pretty unacceptable I mean we are stuck with the shitty translation on the disc so unless you patch the game you have the bad translation.

I must admit that it did not bother me that much since English is not my native language but still, it sucks to not have the final product as intended on the disc when you are a collector.

Guess il have to replay :p

Oreiller

Yeah, it probably lacked an editing pass or two I guess. I wasn't too bothered by it at first but it gets pretty awkward in the later parts of the game.

Top Bottom