• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links begins global launch, out in North America/Asia (iOS/Android)

Ok I would like to report back and say that I was wrong in my original assessment of the game. No shame in that.

Ranked matches definitely put you with other users on your skill level as opposed to casual which is where a lot of high skill/long time players seem to hang out. I'm also starting to get the hang of the interface and have a much better deck than I did before. Took about 20-25 pulls but I've got something semi-competitive. Thanks to everyone for talking me off the ledge; I'm still not sure if this game will have legs but I'll shelve the "pay to win" comments for now. However, I still think the single player is a terrible grind even with auto-battle.

Ok I would like to report back and say that I was wrong in my original assessment of the game. No shame in that.

Ranked matches definitely put you with other users on your skill level as opposed to casual which is where a lot of high skill/long time players seem to hang out. I'm also starting to get the hang of the interface and have a much better deck than I did before. Took about 20-25 pulls but I've got something semi-competitive. Thanks to everyone for talking me off the ledge; I'm still not sure if this game will have legs but I'll shelve the "pay to win" comments for now. However, I still think the single player is a terrible grind even with auto-battle.
I'm glad you're enjoying it more!
It took me a while to get into the game as well so I would hate for anybody to quit before seeing what the game becomes after a little bit of new game clutter gets cleared.

Some complaints about the game

-Interface is way too flashy for no reason, really distracting and takes away from what this game should focus on, which is the cards and the duels.

-ive just started but with short duels of only 20 cards and only 4 card hands, this doesn't feel like Yugioh to me. You are really limited in the type of decks that you want to build

All in all, I had high hopes that this game would be an authentic Yugioh experience but I am disappointed.

So considering that I still play Worldwide Edition for GBA occasionally, and refuse to play anything newer because of the increasingly complex mechanics of the card game, this is really the YuGiOh game for me, huh?

So considering that I still play Worldwide Edition for GBA occasionally, and refuse to play anything newer because of the increasingly complex mechanics of the card game, this is really the YuGiOh game for me, huh?

Yeah there's none of the new bullshit like xyz, synchro, pendulum, etc. It's very basic which is why I enjoy the game.

Jeffrey

wish it was easier to get better cards lol.

Like i fought vagabond and he summoned a 1650 atk monster and I had nothing that can hurt it, besides my 1 axe raider that I couldn't summon.

MiTYH

wish it was easier to get better cards lol.

Like i fought vagabond and he summoned a 1650 atk monster and I had nothing that can hurt it, besides my 1 axe raider that I couldn't summon.

Vagabond has been hit or miss with me. Spells/Traps help again him. Banner of courage gives you +200 atk for your attack turn, and there are some effect monsters that can help (4-star lady bug to defeat them, or hane-hane). All depends on what he blocks though

Galang

Banned
I haven't been playing the optimal builds and decided to go with a spellcaster/dark magician deck as thats what I used to use IRL. Feels good, but I'm annoyed at some of the missing cards. It's weird Dark Magician Girl mentions Magician of black chaos yet I don't see any way to get him. Hopefully future updates? Otherwise I think this game is quite amazing

Jeffrey

Vagabond has been hit or miss with me. Spells/Traps help again him. Banner of courage gives you +200 atk for your attack turn, and there are some effect monsters that can help (4-star lady bug to defeat them, or hane-hane). All depends on what he blocks though

yeah, i had the cards, just bad luck. is his deck random or fixed?

Duel Links hit 10 million downloads, 500 gems as gift.
1gVwbLr.png

Pretty random. Im currently at stage 21 and vagabonds are ridiculously hard to beat unless you have really good cards at your disposal and not get screwed by RNG
Seriously.
I started a dual with him today and the restriction was I only started with two cards. Guess what they were? 2 of the 3 cards in my deck with more than 4 stars, of course.

Neol

Would recommend if you send a Vagabond set the challenge to one hand as it gives the most EXP in comparison to the others even if you lose.

LNBL

Still no EU release ?(Netherlands to be precise). Shitty that you miss out on those bonuses in this way, bad on their part.

Jeffrey

Would recommend if you send a Vagabond set the challenge to one hand as it gives the most EXP in comparison to the others even if you lose.
You can set the challenge?

Also with that bonus its a great time to reroll for people just starting!

So far having a blast with it, I haven't touched the pvp elements but otherwise I am already quite addicted to it.

iHtGpsjl.png

Nothing like starting off with a 7 star ritual summon on the very first turn.

dennism

what counts as a normal card? is it the rarity? i thought it is until the game lets me discard my blue eyes white dragon as a normal card

RalchAC

I decided to play online because why not. Choose ranked. Started a duel. When my opponent was on the verge of losing, he "disconnected". The game gives you an option to Wait and I thought "why not giving him the benefit of the doubt and wait a couple of minutes".

Don't do it. After 3 minutes waiting and the 180 seconds internal clock that the game has to avoid users to go afk ran out and I lost the duel.

I don't think I'll do a lot of ranked stuff. I forgot for a moment how things are, and I don't want to waste my time only for people to leave in the last second.

gryvan

what counts as a normal card? is it the rarity? i thought it is until the game lets me discard my blue eyes white dragon as a normal card

A normal card usually has an italicized flavor text

An effect card has regular text that states this and this for this card

Edit:im currently at silver 3. Trying to get my hands on those dino sets so itd be easier to grind through

I decided to play online because why not. Choose ranked. Started a duel. When my opponent was on the verge of losing, he "disconnected". The game gives you an option to Wait and I thought "why not giving him the benefit of the doubt and wait a couple of minutes".

Don't do it. After 3 minutes waiting and the 180 seconds internal clock that the game has to avoid users to go afk ran out and I lost the duel.

I don't think I'll do a lot of ranked stuff. I forgot for a moment how things are, and I don't want to waste my time only for people to leave in the last second.

Wait it doesn't give you the win if your opponent disconnects but actually punishes you with a loss? Lol?

RalchAC

Wait it doesn't give you the win if your opponent disconnects but actually punishes you with a loss? Lol?

If you choose to wait to see if he has rage quited or truly disconnected, yes.

If you decide to end the match as soon as he disconnectes, I don't know. But after that I was too pissed off to try a new match.

Some complaints about the game

-Interface is way too flashy for no reason, really distracting and takes away from what this game should focus on, which is the cards and the duels.

-ive just started but with short duels of only 20 cards and only 4 card hands, this doesn't feel like Yugioh to me. You are really limited in the type of decks that you want to build

All in all, I had high hopes that this game would be an authentic Yugioh experience but I am disappointed.

You are in the wrong game. Yugioh Duel Generations exists for you not Duel Links.

RalchAC

Seeing how the decks tend to be smaller and there are only 3 slots for monsters, having 5-6* cards should be more valuable than 7-8* ones right?

Seeing how the decks tend to be smaller and there are only 3 slots for monsters, having 5-6* cards should be more valuable than 7-8* ones right?

I have found that I need to rethink my deck strategy with this smaller version of the game. I havent played since years and years ago. I initially created a 30 card deck and found it was just too hard to draw what I needed. I didnt have the space or the resources to support a bunch of high level monsters and superfluous magic/trap cards. A smaller and more focused deck has served me much better.

I did cut out a couple high level monsters which helped, but I actually cut out more magic and trap cards. I'm having much better draw luck now. I still keep a couple high levels but not a lot of them.

Best way to do this with the format the way it is right now and no special summoning except Ritual and Fusion is to keep mainly lvl 4s with high attack as beat sticks and kill the enemy.

Keep like 3 high level monsters and the rest should be lvl 4 or lower. Keep mostly effect monsters with good synergy. Your duels need to be fast and powerful. Get rid of trash cards like Silver Eyed Zombie who has 800 attack as a normal monster and replace him asap.

Your monster attack point average should stay above the 1200 attack range unless they have a good effect.

RalchAC

Best way to do this with the format the way it is right now and no special summoning except Ritual and Fusion is to keep mainly lvl 4s with high attack as beat sticks and kill the enemy.

Keep like 3 high level monsters and the rest should be lvl 4 or lower. Keep mostly effect monsters with good synergy. Your duels need to be fast and powerful. Get rid of trash cards like Silver Eyed Zombie who has 800 attack as a normal monster and replace him asap.

Your monster attack point average should stay above the 1200 attack range unless they have a good effect.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing so far. Right now I think I have something like:

3 High level Monsters
9 3* or 4* Monsters
8 Magic or Trap cards.

I'll follow the "the less cards the better" rule. If minimum deck size is 20, it's better to keep it at 20, so the chance of getting something that's actually useful is bigger.

sdjlkdjkldjal

My tablet battery died the second I finished the last challenge to unlock Ishizu. I hope I got it. :( I want to make a Gravekeeper deck. Though prolly not happening, the drop rate for cards from Duel Gate seems pretty low.

Jeffrey

man got to stage 16 and AI are starting to play time wizard and wrecking my butt. coin flips always seem to be on their side during autobattle lol

Kitoro

I've just been logging in for bonuses, and am in no real rush to play.

Should I just hold out for a certain series to launch before going all in? If so, what should I hold out for?

Top Bottom