• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links |OT| A Speedy Beatdown

Freaking servers, man.

Does anyone know how often the new packs are released? The leaked one with Tyrant Dragon looks sweet, but I don't want to just keep saving gems for something that might not be out for a month.

sohois

Yugioh was really, really popular when I was a kid (so in the late 90s early 00s) here in Spain.

Everybody had Yugioh decks and cards, I remember a lot of stores that had fake decks with crazy units like the Egypcian Gods for 3-4 bucks. Once the rumour about a store having some of those crazy powerful decks took off, everybody at school would go to try to grab it before they run out of copies.

I'm not surprised that the game is doing that good. But I can understand that they didn't said "let's have a server that can easily handle 50 million users!".

Appealing to millennials' nostalgia works, it seems.

Well A, having such a server probably isn't nearly so simple as that, and B, it never makes sense for these online games or apps to invest so much. It's pretty much guaranteed that 50% or more of the userbase will stop playing within a month and then if they had invested heavily in 'such servers they'd be left with a useless investment.

RalchAC

Well A, having such a server probably isn't nearly so simple as that, and B, it never makes sense for these online games or apps to invest so much. It's pretty much guaranteed that 50% or more of the userbase will stop playing within a month and then if they had invested heavily in 'such servers they'd be left with a useless investment.

Yeah, yeah. That's more or less what I meant. There was no chance to do such a big investment in servers and, knowing how mobile gaming works. Really popular smartphone games are often like this, with server issues and stuff.

Did they give out gems today? I got some yesterday, but today, I haven't.
I unlocked Ishizu yesterday, but her skills don't seem that useful...

The only skill I use is Peak Performance. Those extra 200 to Winged Beasts and Dragons are really useful, especially in lower levels.

Syntsui

The success this game is having is just way beyond their expectations it seems (the first week was some Pokémon Go level shit). This was a global juggernaut for some good 2-3 years but then died pretty much everywhere abruptly.

All the new type of cards and mechanics probably didn't help to reignite its popularity, so it just became another niche card game.

They hit the jackpot betting on the nostalgia and releasing this with the old mechanics only. Pretty much all my friends that barely gave that much of a fuck for it then, downloaded it simply for nostalgia's sake.

It's likely that these type of players will go away in a week or two and the servers will start to work properly from then on without the nostalgia driven players.

Kouriozan

Surprised this is so popular, I'm in a weird place since I like Yu-Gi-Oh! for its complexity (managing to do a big combo is always satisfying), but I can enjoy the more casual dueling.

Neol

Is this true based on Worldwide numbers? Is it the asian markets that make a bulk of the numbers? Magic still seems like the king at least in my area with Yu-Gi-Oh in second and Pokemon being 3rd.

Ya lots of people in asia play this where Magic is mostly north american based.

I've been playing this game waaaay too much for the past week. It's so addicting. I don't even have other mobile games because I don't like playing on my phone, but I downloaded this just out of nostalgia and it's been great. I've never played a mobile game that actually respects the player's time by not forcing a million micro-transactions in your face to keep playing. It's a breath of fresh air, honestly. That plus the tons of free gems they give for everything makes me really appreciate the developers. Oh, and I love the auto-duel mechanic. I can get shit done in the game without even having to focus on it. It's sweet.

Syntsui

I swear they have given us like $30 worth of gems so far for free lol. Lets see if we get another $5 worth haha.

Welcome to release month of gacha games, I really don't expect this to last long. I hope I'm wrong though, this model of business is awesome for us.

I really like this game. This is a surprisingly great back to basics Yugioh game. I'm enjoying it a lot

The newer cards out now are waaaaaaay too confusing for someone trying to get back into Yugioh. I wish they simplified it again

I really hate auto duel sometimes. Why would you attack with your highest attack monster you dumb cpu! Also stop misusing my traps! zzzzzz

Have to switch to manual halfway through a turn to save the duel.

cHinzo

Welcome to release month of gacha games, I really don't expect this to last long. I hope I'm wrong though, this model of business is awesome for us.

If they keep giving us free gems, I'm expecting to play this game for a long time lol. Heard the gems were quite scarce at higher levels though.

Skyo

yeah, im stg25 and got no more gems left. Spent most of it on the water packs.

with the nxt set of cards coming out soon..I dunno if il have the gems. alwel, got myself a decent spellcaster deck and water deck from it.

gryvan

yeah, im stg25 and got no more gems left. Spent most of it on the water packs.

with the nxt set of cards coming out soon..I dunno if il have the gems. alwel, got myself a decent spellcaster deck and water deck from it.

Think theyll have like a sale with a guaranteed SR

MiTYH

Okay, network timeouts are getting annoying.

Had me worried for a second. I'm trying to get to stage 22, need to use 5 spell cards in a duel. Didn't feel like redoing my deck (which has exactly 5) so I stalled on a lvl10 Tea (needed to beat her anyway) and got them out. Then network timeouts and 5 minutes of pressing "retry". Thankfully I got it through.

sohois

The grind after stage 25 is starting to get really annoying. Not so much the beat x duelists or do x amount of damage reqs., those are simple as you can just use Auto Duel. But now you're frequently asked to beat some of the legendary duelists a ton of times, which inevitably means lvl 10 decks that are utterly boring to do manually. There's no point facing the lvl 30 decks since keys are limited and you don't want to waste them on a possible loss, plus you'll be saving them for lvl 40 decks.

Really wish you could auto duel the crappy legendary duelists decks

zugzug

play first few rounds a Kaiba wrecked people figured what the heck this game to easy switched to Joey standard deck is just weak.

Couldn't be bothered to create my own deck or fix joey's haven't started game in few days now. am sad.

sohois

play first few rounds a Kaiba wrecked people figured what the heck this game to easy switched to Joey standard deck is just weak.

Couldn't be bothered to create my own deck or fix joey's haven't started game in few days now. am sad.

The standard decks that come with each new duelist are not good. You won't be able to win anything with those, even versus the most basic AI.

You don't need to actually make a deck manually to start winning though. Just buy a few 10 packs from the card shop, then go to the card editor and select 'Create Auto-Deck'. That's all you'll need to do to end up with something much better than the starting decks.

For basic AI stomping, all you need to do is use Yami or Kaiba, use their power that gives you their appropriate field spell, then fill your deck out with monsters with good attack that are buffed by the field spell. Add in up to three one-tribute monsters and focus on spells and traps that either buff your monsters or kill/destroy your opponent's stuff.

Don't use ritual monsters, fusions or anything that requires two tributes to summon.

(Relinquished is really good though - excellent value card that will pay for himself by stealing one monster)

Gems are best spent on Ultimate Destruction until you pull the excellent UR (Sphere Kuriboh) and SR cards (Shard of Greed, Order to Charge, that spell that kills traps and spells, Wonder Balloons...), then rotate to the water mini-box until you have that UR trap.

I blew lots of gems on the other box and regret it - stuff like Mirror Wall is nice, but that box will be around for a good few months yet and the first two boxes go away half way through next month.

I am hoping to build a deck based on how stupid Sphere Kuriboh, Bazoo the Soul Eater and Wonder Balloons are when working together.

Wait, is the Pegasus event over already? :O I don't see the Toon World book anywhere.

It is suspended until they can duct tape on more servers.

Every time they have to do something like this they will give out lots of free gems, so I'm cool with waiting. I also got Pegasus first. :p

It is suspended until they can duct tape on more servers.

Every time they have to do something like this they will give out lots of free gems, so I'm cool with waiting. I also got Pegasus first. :p
Man, I had 19 chips and was 5000 points away from getting him when I just said "fuck it, I'm gonna go to bed it's already 4 am" then the event was put on hiatus. :p

I wonder if the rewards will be refreshed or progress was saved. Kinda want a refresh cause it was super easy to get to where I was and I wouldn't mind those few starter rewards again...

iBeleaf

OG Yu-Gi-Oh was the best. Simple, fun and strategic.

On stage 22 and having a blast. I do feel like acquring gems is going to be a problem in the long run.

OG Yu-Gi-Oh was the best. Simple, fun and strategic.

Oh for sure. I don't care much about the cartoon these days (rewatched it some years ago out of nostalgia) but I still fire up some World Championship or Tag Force game as a way to relax from time to time. The card game itself (before the whole synchro stuff where my interest fades a bit) is really solid fun. I treat it the same way as many people treat Solitaire on their computers.

Still bouncing around Silver 3 and 4. People either have really good luck on the cards they pulled or have put a lot of bank in this game.

On the plus side, I am undefeated in casual duels.

Gold Rank 1! This game is great.

Edit: Right after I went into casual and lost to a guy Ranked KoG. Of course!

Edit2: Wow! Conscription just clutched a match for me. I had no monsters on the field. Opponenet had two. Used it and drew his BEWD. I finished the match draining his LP with his own card. Felt great.

sohois

Unlocked Ishizu. Just Odion to go to get everyone that's available since I was able to grab Pegasus before the event was taken down

Top Bottom