• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki and DS scammed STEAM Shenmue 3 KS backers by giving them a different version of software.

sol_bad

What is this ? Show me your penis to prove you are man ? Are you 5 or something ?
Considering your line of thinking when i played Daggerfall you probably weren't present in this world...

I was 14 when Daggerfall came out. It is not a dick measuring contest. I'm trying to get a basis on people that are telling the Steam fans to stfu. You have played PC games for 30 years. I'm trying to understand how and where you have played them for the last 10 years.

Help me understand, show me your libraries.

Dontero

Banned
I was 14 when Daggerfall came out. It is not a dick measuring contest. I'm trying to get a basis on people that are telling the Steam fans to stfu. You have played PC games for 30 years. I'm trying to understand how and where you have played them for the last 10 years.

Help me understand, show me your libraries.

Why ? Are you trying to make inane argument that because Steam is effectively monopoly now i have to suck its dick and be thankful for their existence ? You make non sense here mate.

Maybe you are from US but in Europe we never had issue with lack of PC games and Steam didn't save anything here much like Nintendo didn't save consoles.

sol_bad

Why ? Are you trying to make inane argument that because Steam is effectively monopoly now i have to suck its dick and be thankful for their existence ? You make non sense here mate.

Maybe you are from US but in Europe we never had issue with lack of PC games and Steam didn't save anything here much like Nintendo didn't save consoles.

I am from Australia. You should stop making assumptions.
<_<

If you are unwilling to show where and how you play your PC games I'll just go ahead and assume you pirate them. And if that is the case you really don't have a leg in this argument.

MMaRsu

Banned
This so much this.
Manbabies

Maybe we manbabies dont want to encourage an exclusive enviroment in the pc gaming industry where the ones with the most money buy up the biggest exclusives and take away all form of choice from the consumer?

Maybe read up on it, before posting something so stupid like "just another icon bro!"

Do you think if it was just another icon I would even give a single fuck? Or that I have Gabe posters on my wall ejaculating on them when I read some positive Steam news? Cmon dude, do some critical thinking.

MMaRsu

Banned
And Im from Europe and PC gaming sales were almost dead before Steam brought the digital age.

Anyone saying otherwise is factually wrong. I worked in a pc focused retail store that actually had to shut down nationwide because pc sales and accessoiries were dwindling.

kiiltz

In this entire, pointless debate, I have yet to see a single person come forward with hard documentation from the Kickstarter campaign that explicitly stated that if you pledged enough money to receive a copy of the game, you would receive a Steam key or disc for the game. I cannot find a single thing that promises this at the point the pledges were being taken--the contract between you the investor and Yu's dev team / Deep Silver, that Steam copies were a guaranteed part of the deal to those that wanted it. The only thing the campaign ever promised was to deliver the game on PC.

Tell you what, I've got a real bargain for you. I'm going to give you three quality, delicious juicy burgers for only $1. One single buck.

low-carb-steakhouse-burger-recipe-4.jpg

Oh, it's not were you were expecting? You thought I was going to cook them for you, put them on buns with lettuce, tomato, onions, and pickles? Some condiments on the side?
When did I ever promise that to you? I promised to give you three thick, quality, delicious juicy burgers. Here they are. It's not my fault you made assumptions. No, I'm not giving you your money back. I delivered exactly what I promised when I took your dollar.

Oh, you want to sue me for not offering you a refund? You say I violated your rights as a consumer? I fail to see how any court is going to find in your favor. I delivered exactly what I promised to deliver for the price I agreed to deliver it. Your dissatisfaction entitles you to nothing.
Those are patties, not burgers.

Blancka

Maybe we manbabies dont want to encourage an exclusive enviroment in the pc gaming industry where the ones with the most money buy up the biggest exclusives and take away all form of choice from the consumer?

Maybe read up on it, before posting something so stupid like "just another icon bro!"

Do you think if it was just another icon I would even give a single fuck? Or that I have Gabe posters on my wall ejaculating on them when I read some positive Steam news? Cmon dude, do some critical thinking.

Buying exclusive rights to sell certain products is one of the most popular business tactics in the world, and it's been the basis of the games industry since the console wars started proper in the 80s. Literally every study on competition in consumerism will tell you this is beneficial. Ironic you'd tell people to read up without doing so yourself first.

Not to mention the huge number of steam exclusives. People's go to defence for this is "it's dev choice, not paid for", but if you're arguing on the topic of "anti-consumerism" the back end has no place in the discussion, as it's not something the consumer deals with, and the end result is the exact same for consumers. If anything it's less morally wrong with EGS because they're doing it for money rather than doing it for free. I mean, who's worse, the guy who kicks a puppy for 10 grand, or the guy who does it of his own volition? Most would say the latter.

Ironic your avatar is a capcom character when they've got a number of games exclusive to steam. I thought you were vehemently against this sort of thing? Or is it only when it affects you directly?

Dontero

Banned
I am from Australia. You should stop making assumptions.
<_<

If you are unwilling to show where and how you play your PC games I'll just go ahead and assume you pirate them. And if that is the case you really don't have a leg in this argument.

Says dude who assumes i pirate games because i don't want to show him my private Steam library.

Buying exclusive rights to sell certain products is one of the most popular business tactics in the world, and it's been the basis of the games industry since the console wars started proper in the 80s. Literally every study on competition in consumerism will tell you this is beneficial. Ironic you'd tell people to read up without doing so yourself first.

Competition is good for consumers, this however is not competition in a free market capitalistic way where Steam and EGS would compete with price, service etc.

sol_bad

Says dude who assumes i pirate games because i don't want to show him my private Steam library.

oh yes
A video game collection and Steam account is definitely something you need to keep extremely private.
I'd have much more respect for the EGS defenders if they would actually prove that they have a Steam library and an EGS library to back up that they fucking support it and have used both pieces of software.
Unfortunately this never happens, it's always EGS defending without any proof that they have even gamed on a PC over the last 10+ years.

brian0057

Banned
Exclusivity is not, I repeat, FUCKING NOT competition.
It's a byproduct of copyright laws. Otherwise, you'd be unable to profit from your own creations.

This is why people don't have a problem with Netflix having Stranger Things and Daredevil, HBO having GOT and Chernobyl, or Ubisoft having their own store for their own games, but do have a problem when platforms make exclusivity deals for content they don't make. Those deals are made for the sole purpose of making the competition look bad, not for the benefit of the consumer.

Dontero

Banned
Competition is good for consumers, this however is not competition in a free market capitalistic way where Steam and EGS would compete with price, service etc.

You can say that about literally every single business there is.
Fact is that two stores competting WILL benefit consumers sooner or later.

And it already has. Free games given to users. None of which would be a thing without EGS trying to not compete with Steam. Developers getting 12% cut instead of 30% which will end up as much more money for devs of games and that difference could be difference between dev going under or not. Even stuff like sequel or batter games are possible with more money toward devs.

And EGS stuff is just start. They already have roadmap and they quickly develop new features steamfanboy rage about lack of and they are looking at other stuff Steam doesn't right now like creating cross platform open source API for multiplayer on PC.

oh yes
A video game collection and Steam account is definitely something you need to keep extremely private.
I'd have much more respect for the EGS defenders if they would actually prove that they have a Steam library and an EGS library to back up that they fucking support it and have used both pieces of software.
Unfortunately this never happens, it's always EGS defending without any proof that they have even gamed on a PC over the last 10+ years.

My point is that i don't need to prove anything to kids like you or anyone else for that matter. If you don't like my arguments, look for logic not some dumb 3rd grade arguments that could work on your classmates in elementary school.

I have both Steam, GOG and wait for it... 1 game on EGS. Which has nothing to do with arguments i make to begin with which is why i believe you are actually a kid. Because arguments like this is something you hear in elementary school.

This is why people don't have a problem with Netflix having Stranger Things and Daredevil, HBO having GOT and Chernobyl, or Ubisoft having their own store for their own games, but do have a problem when platforms make exclusivity deals for content they don't make. Those deals are made for the sole purpose of making the competition look bad, not for the benefit of the consumer.

Here is the problem. EGS pays developers. Which makes it no different than EGS co-developing those games. Much like Sony is funding That Game Company games like Journey. So your argument doesn't make sense really. You are just butthurt that you can't buy it on your favorite shop.

Secondly exclusivity to shop has nothing to do with exclusivity to platform. Pretty much every article you buy in shop has contracts on it where producer states what shops it can be sold in.

Finally EGS doesn't put pistol to anyone head. Which means it is developers who chose to do that not EGS.

Last edited:

Blancka

Do McDonalds and Burger king sell exactly the same food with nothing but price differences? Do most retailers? Exclusive products are part of competition and always have been.

They're also an important part of it to prevent larger retailers running smaller ones out of business, as with the same items to sell, the larger retailer can run loss leader tactics longer than a smaller business can survive due to having more money.

You know, basic business stuff they teach you in high school

Shifty

steam exclusives
Oh look, another dumbass narrative. Do we see Valve buying up exclusivity for existing titles? No.

Games are 'exclusive' to Steam because it was the first and only successful digital storefront on PC, and developers flocked to it.

Unlike dealing with EGS, those developers are entirely free to sell their product on any storefront they like- be that DRM-free through GoG or as a Steam key. Trying to draw comparison between that and Epic's moneyhat practices is some disingenuous bullshit.

Do McDonalds and Burger king sell exactly the same food with nothing but price differences? Do most retailers? Exclusive products are part of competition and always have been.
This analogy doesn't work. McDonalds and Burger King fund and develop their own recipes and product lines internally, they don't shop around for up-and-coming burger chains and throw bags of cash at them for exclusive rights to the IndieBurger 5000.

I'd wager the would be a lot more goodwill toward Epic if they actually used all that tencent money to fund some original games, rather than funding customers' inability to purchase things on competing platforms.

My point is that i don't need to prove anything to kids like you or anyone else for that matter.
I dunno, I'd say you have a thing or two to prove where the credibility of your postings is concerned :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

kiiltz

Oh look, another dumbass narrative. Do we see Valve buying up exclusivity for existing titles? No.

Games are 'exclusive' to Steam because it was the first and only successful digital storefront on PC, and developers flocked to it.

Unlike dealing with EGS, those developers are entirely free to sell their product on any storefront they like- be that DRM-free through GoG or as a Steam key. Trying to draw comparison between that and Epic's moneyhat practices is some disingenuous bullshit.
There's a lot of disgusting and slimy spin ITT that genuinely makes me wonder if these guys are legitimate shills.

MMaRsu

Banned

Not to mention the huge number of steam exclusives. People's go to defence for this is "it's dev choice, not paid for", but if you're arguing on the topic of "anti-consumerism" the back end has no place in the discussion, as it's not something the consumer deals with, and the end result is the exact same for consumers. If anything it's less morally wrong with EGS because they're doing it for money rather than doing it for free. I mean, who's worse, the guy who kicks a puppy for 10 grand, or the guy who does it of his own volition? Most would say the latter.

Ironic your avatar is a capcom character when they've got a number of games exclusive to steam. I thought you were vehemently against this sort of thing? Or is it only when it affects you directly?

Yeah console wars. Pc has always been an open platform. And what exclusive capcom games? I can choose multiple avenues of purchase. Also what Steam exclusives? Steam and Valve has never told a dev they are not allowed to launch anywhere else.

You bring up the same talked to death "arguments" that dont even hold water, like any other clueless person who screams its just a launcher bro.

Blancka

If the argument is EGS is bad for doing this because it's anti-consumer, it's a hypocrisy.

The consumer doesn't deal with why. They deal with what's available to them at retail, not the BTS drama.

Whether someone got paid 500k or paid 500k to get on a storefront, the consumer has the same amount of choice.

If EGS is anti consumer for buying exclusives, capcom and other devs are anti consumer for selling on steam and not GoG, as they're denying consumer choice. Regardless of if the exclusivity is bought, the consumer only deals with one thing. Exclusivity.

You're free to make other arguments if you have them, but either both or none of these situations are anti-consumer. Quit pretending what goes on behind the scenes affects the consumer in any way. They exclusively deal with the end product for sale, regardless of how it got there

Blancka

Yeah console wars. Pc has always been an open platform. And what exclusive capcom games? I can choose multiple avenues of purchase. Also what Steam exclusives? Steam and Valve has never told a dev they are not allowed to launch anywhere else.

You bring up the same talked to death "arguments" that dont even hold water, like any other clueless person who screams its just a launcher bro.

MHW is the most recent capcom steam exclusive.

What does "always been open platform" have to do with consumerism vs anti-consumer practices?

So it's not valve, but capcom that's done steam exclusivity. So are they the anti-consumer ones? The end result is the same for me, whether steam or EGS (game is available on only one platform)

Stuart360

There's a lot of disgusting and slimy spin ITT that genuinely makes me wonder if these guys are legitimate shills.
Nah they are not shills i dont think. Its just the whole Epic shite doesnt bother them, so if it doesnt bother them, it shouldnt bother anyone else. The age old argument.
Epic need to die for me though.

brian0057

Banned

They're also an important part of it to prevent larger retailers running smaller ones out of business, as with the same items to sell, the larger retailer can run loss leader tactics longer than a smaller business can survive due to having more money.

You know, basic business stuff they teach you in high school

McDonald's and Burger King DO sell the same product: hamburgers. No one owns what a hamburger is so regardless of which one you prefer, you're gonna walk out with a burger either way. The choice the consumer has in this instance is which one they like more depending on how they're prepared and that's what differentiates the stores.

In the case of Metro: Exodus, there's no "Steam version" of the game that people can buy to replace the one on the Epic Store. This is what's commonly known as a "monopoly". That thing people accuse Steam of being but aren't.

Here is the problem. EGS pays developers. Which makes it no different than EGS co-developing those games. Much like Sony is funding That Game Company games like Journey. So your argument doesn't make sense really. You are just butthurt that you can't buy it on your favorite shop.

EGS didn't pay them to develop the game, they payed them to sell their game on their store. Epic did jack shit to assist development.
If that were the case, why aren't all games announced as exclusives "exclusive to the platform" forever? Instead of this 6 to 12 month periods?
The only benefit Epic gains from having all of those exclusives is making Steam look bad. They don't have to compete with Steam on features (or lack thereof), pricing, customer service, etc since they're forcing consumers to use their platform.

A more valid analogy would have been Nintendo actually paying and helping with the development of the Bayonetta sequels. But then you wouldn't have a point.

If EGS is anti consumer for buying exclusives, capcom and other devs are anti consumer for selling on steam and not GoG, as they're denying consumer choice. Regardless of if the exclusivity is bought, the consumer only deals with one thing. Exclusivity.

Tell me, what is GOG's motto? "DRM free".
Now why wouldn't certain developers release games on GOG? Truly a mystery of the universe.

Last edited:
No, it's not! You can buy a Monster Hunter World Steam Key from legit 3rd party sites like Gamesplanet, because Steam allows competition. You won't find any Metro Exodus Keys on legit stores, they don't allow that and you can't even generate them, because Epic wants to destroy competition.

brian0057

Banned
No, it's not! You can buy a Monster Hunter World Steam Key from legit 3rd party sites like Gamesplanet, because Steam allows competition. You won't find any Metro Exodus Keys on legit stores, they don't allow that and you can't even generate them, because Epic wants to destroy competition.

Not only that, Steam doesn't make any money from keys sold on third party stores like Fanatical, Green Man Gaming, or Humble Bundle.

ethomaz

Banned
Steam Key is still Steam lol

Graciaus

If the argument is EGS is bad for doing this because it's anti-consumer, it's a hypocrisy.

The consumer doesn't deal with why. They deal with what's available to them at retail, not the BTS drama.

Whether someone got paid 500k or paid 500k to get on a storefront, the consumer has the same amount of choice.

You're free to make other arguments if you have them, but either both or none of these situations are anti-consumer. Quit pretending what goes on behind the scenes affects the consumer in any way. They exclusively deal with the end product for sale, regardless of how it got there
You seem to be hung up on the exclusive anti consumer thing. The real problem is their store is an embarrassment and the launcher has none of the features you'd expect. If epic came from the start ready to actually compete with a competent product the backlash wouldn't be that bad. They might not even have to pay people to release their game on the store.

Stuart360

You seem to be hung up on the exclusive anti consumer thing. The real problem is their store is an embarrassment and the launcher has none of the features you'd expect. If epic came from the start ready to actually compete with a competent product the backlash wouldn't be that bad. They might not even have to pay people to release their game on the store.
Well thats the most important thing, or it should be anyway.

MMaRsu

Banned
And EGS stuff is just start. They already have roadmap and they quickly develop new features steamfanboy rage about

My point is that i don't need to prove anything to kids like you

You are just butthurt

Yeah you're the mature one for sure

MMaRsu

Banned

What does "always been open platform" have to do with consumerism vs anti-consumer practices?

So it's not valve, but capcom that's done steam exclusivity. So are they the anti-consumer ones? The end result is the same for me, whether steam or EGS (game is available on only one platform)

How is it a steam exclusive when I can buy from any retailer on the internet?

Either you are very dumb or are trolling.

MMaRsu

Banned
It doesn't matter. Valve allows competition and lets Publishers/Devs sell their games wherever they want. At no additional cost.

That is GOOD for us consumers, because WE can check multiple stores for deals. This ain't possible with EGS games unless you want to support grey markets like G2A.

This should really be the end of the thread. It's clear as day.

Blancka

McDonald's and Burger King DO sell the same product: hamburgers. No one owns what a hamburger is so regardless of which one you prefer, you're gonna walk out with a burger either way. The choice the consumer has in this instance is which one they like more depending on how they're prepared and that's what differentiates the stores.

In the case of Metro: Exodus, there's no "Steam version" of the game that people can buy to replace the one on the Epic Store. This is what's commonly known as a "monopoly". That thing people accuse Steam of being but aren't.

EGS didn't pay them to develop the game, they payed them to sell their game on their store. Epic did jack shit to assist development.
If that were the case, why aren't all games announced as exclusives "exclusive to the platform" forever? Instead of this 6 to 12 month periods?
The only benefit Epic gains from having all of those exclusives is making Steam look bad. They don't have to compete with Steam on features (or lack thereof), pricing, customer service, etc since they're forcing consumers to use their platform.

A more valid analogy would have been Nintendo actually paying and helping with the development of the Bayonetta sequels. But then you wouldn't have a point.

Tell me, what is GOG's motto? "DRM free".
Now why wouldn't certain developers release games on GOG? Truly a mystery of the universe.
According to the logic of your first point, EGS sells the same stuff as steam; videogames. No one owns what a videogame is so regardless of which one you prefer, you're gonna walk out with a videogame either way. The choices the consumer has in this instance is which one they like more depending on how they're made and that's what differentiates the stores.

In the case of "Big Mac", there's no Burger King version of this that people can buy to replace the one from McDonalds.

Exclusivity to one variation of a product isn't a monopoly btw. At least not a proper one. While technically it loosely fits the definition, a monopoly over an exclusive videogame is not the same as (for examples sake) a monopoly over the supply of clothes in a country, meaning citizens are at the whim of their clothes selling overlords. McDonalds has a monopoly with the Big Mac, but that's not a harmful monopoly.

This is a case of people trying to use scary buzzwords like "anti-consumer" and "monopoly" that people associate with terrible acts in other to twist people's view on a particular topic.

Who pays who to develop a game has no bearing on me. If this is a discussion on how EGS is anti-consumer, the back-end has no relevance to me. As a consumer, if I want metro exodus, I'm forced to use EGS. Similarly, if I want monster hunter: World, I'm forced to use steam. The end result is the exact same. What goes on behind the scenes has no bearing on whether something is anti-consumer or not, only the end result does. It doesn't matter who shakes who's hand, or who pays who, someone who prefers EGS wanting MHW, and someone who prefers steam wanting metro exodus will both find themselves in the exact same scenario. It doesn't matter who developed what, who paid for what etc. None of that changes the end result, which is the only thing that can be judged when declaring something "anti-consumer".

So you're saying it's understandable that devs don't publish on GoG because DRM free means piracy, or in short, lower profits overall potentially? Sounds kind of similar reasoning as to why publishers are going to EGS. 12% given to the storefront is a whole lot less than 30%. Add to that the actual money epic is reportedly throwing in and it seems like a great deal.

Why is it justifiable for them to ignore GoG because of financial reasons, but when they choose EGS over steam for financial reasons they're suddenly hitler? Both the reasoning and the end result are exactly the same.

Blancka

But what if I don't want steam on my computer? I don't want to use that client? People are frothing at the mouth over shenmue in this thread. They're still getting a key. Isn't it the same thing?

MMaRsu

Banned
It actually does have bearing because like multiple people pointed out, the user still has freedom of choice as to which store gets their money ( GMG, Humble, Steam or plenty of others ) or only Epic.

If you honestly dont see how that is a monopoly and anti consumer I dont know what to tell you.

MMaRsu

Banned
But what if I don't want steam on my computer? I don't want to use that client? People are frothing at the mouth over shenmue in this thread. They're still getting a key. Isn't it the same thing?

Then dont install it and make your case known to Capcom.

You know, as the people against EGS buying up exclusivity deals just so the game cant launch on Steam ( something Steam has never ever done ).

Blancka

It actually does have bearing because like multiple people pointed out, the user still has freedom of choice as to which store gets their money ( GMG, Humble, Steam or plenty of others ) or only Epic.

If you honestly dont see how that is a monopoly and anti consumer I dont know what to tell you.

And devs are free to sell EGS games on humble bundle, as was announced in march at GDC.

But please, keep screaming about how I "don't know my shit" and ignoring facts

MMaRsu

Banned
Well since you claim DRM free equals piracy, you have already shown you dont know jack shit about the pc market. I'll leave the door open for you.

Blancka

Well since you claim DRM free equals piracy, you have already shown you dont know jack shit about the pc market. I'll leave the door open for you.

So you're going back to "WAAH YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING I'M ALWAYS RIGHT" instead of logical arguments again? Suit yourself buddy.

DRM free releases of games does increase piracy because it means cracks aren't needed. That's why most AAA devs avoid GOG releases. But instead of giving a sentence you read 5 seconds of thought to consider what was meant by it, I prefer your tactic of screaming to the high heavens.

Such a friendly and logical person to debate with :messenger_smiling_hearts:

sol_bad

My point is that i don't need to prove anything to kids like you or anyone else for that matter. If you don't like my arguments, look for logic not some dumb 3rd grade arguments that could work on your classmates in elementary school.

I have both Steam, GOG and wait for it... 1 game on EGS. Which has nothing to do with arguments i make to begin with which is why i believe you are actually a kid. Because arguments like this is something you hear in elementary school.

I have read all your posts and the only logic I can garner from you is that you are a corporate shill and have personal beef with Valve. Backing yourself up and showing that you are actually a PC gamer is important to your arguments if you do not want to come across as a shill. Saying you played 1 game from the 90's on PC doesn't really say anything either, it actually makes you come across as anti Valve even further because you are "reminiscing" about the good old days when all you needed was a CD key. The fact that you only have 1 game on EGS makes me wonder why you even want to argue about this when you don't even want to support it. People who are console gamers or who pirate can't even begin to comprehend the importance of Valve and the PC industry.

Yu Suzuki went straight to the fans to ask for monetary help and the fans gladly obliged, this was back in 2015 when EGS did not exist. Yu then received even more money from Deep Silver and Sony. And yet again more money from Epic. This game could not find funding through publishers in the beginning, it's the fans who made the production of this game come to fruition. Realistically Yu spat on his fans as soon as he jumped in bed with Deep Silver but this move is him taking a massive shit on his fans. You can sit there and corporate apologise all you want and point out that Kickstarter didn't state Steam itself but at the end of the day Yu Suzuki took advantage of his fans. The least he could have done is publicly announce that EGS was on the cards and add it to the platform options for the backers since ... you know, they are the ones that allowed this game to be made.. I can guarantee you that if Steam was never in the equation and the game was downloaded DRM free directly through their own web site the backers would have been perfectly fine. This was never going to happen though as they want their DRM to "stop piracy".

You need to try and understand the situation because right now you do not.
1: Backers are feeling betrayed due to my above paragraph. It has absolutely nothing to do with a game launcher. When it comes to system requirements, everyone with half a brain understands that it is the hardware requirements that might change, not the delivery software of the game. Development of the game does not affect the software platform.

2: People do not like how Epic are running their business and do not want to hand their hard earned cash over to them. Rather than buy developers/publishers souls for timed exclusivity. Why couldn't they put their money towards actually purchasing some studios to help create exclusive games for their store and only for their store.

The fact that you can't comprehend these 2 facts makes me question if you really care about PC ecosystem in general.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
So you're going back to "WAAH YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING I'M ALWAYS RIGHT" instead of logical arguments again? Suit yourself buddy.

DRM free releases of games does increase piracy because it means cracks aren't needed. That's why most AAA devs avoid GOG releases. But instead of giving a sentence you read 5 seconds of thought to consider what was meant by it, I prefer your tactic of screaming to the high heavens.

Such a friendly and logical person to debate with :messenger_smiling_hearts:

And you keep going back to your boring talking points about how Steam is a monopoly and EGS isnt.. ZZZZZZZ

And no, Drm free doesnt increase piracy. Because every game gets cracked in the end anyway. And if someone wants to pirate your game they are not going to buy it regardless if it has drm or not.

What they don't want is you to be able to play their game without launching some sort of storefront IE Uplay will never release anything drm free they are selling in their store.

And I read all your posts. They don't make sense and contain nonsense. I am not screaming at all. I am just saying you are wrong. You seem to not want to accept that Steam isn't a monopoly and that launching games on GOG doesnt increase piracy.

Last edited:
Then you get it for Playstation for all I care. People are frothing at their mouth over the bait and switch. They were asking people what they want, then they let people choose Steam as their platform of choice on Fangamer, then they set up a Steam store page and then they turn around flipping them the bird by telling them "no refunds" and to suck it up. This is what pisses people off ITT, it has been from the beginning.

A proper reaction from Deep Silver would be to honor the Backers choice. Give everyone who chose Steam a Steam key, that's not possible? Give everyone a DRM free copy, or refund them.

You can keep on saying that they didn't specifically state Steam in their rewards and that everything is subject to change, that doesn't change the fact that Backers chose steam and not the EGS. They should've made another survey and ask their Backers if they are okay with the EGS, this would've been ideal.

And no, an EGS key isn't the same as a Steam key. The Epic Game Store is lacking features and while it is on the roadmap, they still don't have achievements and no one knows if that's ready when Shenmue 3 launches... achievements aren't added value to me, but they are to some people.

ethomaz

Banned

PC Games never needed to be save even in US.., it was always in contact grow year over year even before Steam.

Steam has nothing to do with the PC harming grow too.

That is myth some tries to pass as true.

Steam organized and added an unified launcher and DRM to PC gaming.

Last edited:

Shinjica

It's definitely disappointing to see them refuse refunds to people that really want it, as they aren't delivering what they first promised, so I can understand some people are annoyed by this.

Although as a PC gamer myself, I don't get all the love that Steam gets, to me it's just a launcher and store. I have games on Steam, GoG, Origin, Epic and apart from clicking on a different icon, the games all play the same. Guess I'm just too easy going to care about such minor things.

I did back this game and being able to finally play Shenmue 3, is more important to me than what launcher I have to click.

I envy people like you who only see the tree and not the forest behind it

Make life much easier to endure

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I backed this game and no longer have any desire to play it. Can I be outraged too?

Blancka

And you keep going back to your boring talking points about how Steam is a monopoly and EGS isnt.. ZZZZZZZ

And no, Drm free doesnt increase piracy. Because every game gets cracked in the end anyway. And if someone wants to pirate your game they are not going to buy it regardless if it has drm or not.

What they don't want is you to be able to play their game without launching some sort of storefront IE Uplay will never release anything drm free they are selling in their store.

And I read all your posts. They don't make sense and contain nonsense. I am not screaming at all. I am just saying you are wrong. You seem to not want to accept that Steam isn't a monopoly and that launching games on GOG doesnt increase piracy.

Pretty sure I never called steam a monopoly, only equated it to EGS and used the logic that if EGS is a monopoly then steam must be. However we've established that EGS is not a monopoly as it sells keys elsewhere. However both services are a platform monopoly in the sense that certain games are unplayable without their software.

Most sales are in the launch window of any game. That's why publishers spend thousands on denuvo even though it gets cracked in the end. Google is your friend here.

What nonsense. You argue back and forth until you get hit with an objective fact that destroys your argument, then you change the subject by claiming "YOU SAID X, THEREFORE YOU KNOW NOTHING JON SNOW" and completely ignoring that you were proven wrong. You've done it like 3 or 4 separate times in this thread

Top Bottom