• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Naka's fishing game (Animal Crossing meets Endless Ocean but with lures) for Wii

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Say hello to Family Fishing from Probe Studios and the creator of Sonic/Nights (Yuji Naka). It comes with a fishing peripheral, and looks fricken awesome.

WATCH THE AWESOME GAMEPLAY TRAILER HERE.

tn-family-fishing-wii-2.jpg

tn-family-fishing-wii-3.jpg

tn-family-fishing-wii-6.jpg

tn-family-fishing-wii-1.jpg

More images here.

ff15.jpg

ff16.jpg

ff07.jpg

ff41.jpg

ff12.jpg

Even more Images here.

Not only does it look fun, but is also seems super relaxing and addictive. Not to mention it doesn't look bad at all for a Wii Third Party game.

Some information on the game:

Andriasang said:
- developed by Prope studio and will be published by Namco Bandai
- due out August 4th in Japan
- ¥5,040 and bundled with a fishing controller for ¥6,090
- play without the special controller as well
- set on a resort island
- explore the island
- use vehicles for transportation
- collect items or play 1 of 20 mini games
- visit the message board where you'll be able to take on a variety of challenges
- time cycle which brings about background changes as you explore
- exchange fish for points to purchase new tools
- 15 locations, including the sea, rivers and lakes
- new areas unlock as you advance
- build up an aquarium by collecting fish
- expand this aquarium to earn money
- Big Size Online Ranking lets you show off your fishing skills
- over 1,000 items, ranging from clothing for your characters to actual fishing-related items
- over 200 fish types, including octopuses and penguin
- based around a concept that is different from past fishing games
- set on a dream island where people who love to fish gather
- play as a traveler who's come to the island
- take a submarine tour
- kayak as well

Yuji Naka said:
why is Yuji Naka making a fishing game? Naka delivered a message to Famitsu.com, but didn't explain why the sudden interest in a vastly different genre from what we're used to seeing. Instead, he noted that Prope is designing the game around a concept that is different from past fishing games. The game is set on a dream island where people who love to fish gather. You play as a traveler who's come to the island. You'll be able to take part in a variety of resort-style activities, including cruising, a submarine tour, and kayaking, said Naka.

Full article here.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why wasn't a game like this released years ago? It looks fantastic.

It's like Sega Marine Fishing with several times the amount of content.
I'll take it.

The Lamp said:
Looks like something that will never see American shores.

As long as Nintendo's not the publisher there is a chance.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Probably a Mii experience, from what I can tell.

Skiesofwonder

The Lamp said:
Looks like something that will never see American shores.

Surely if Let's Tap (from Probe) can come over here then this can too.

please please please!!!

Gravijah said:
what is you talkin' aboat, this game looks nice.

The thread title honestly intrigued me, but i'm going to temper my excitement. My gut tells me this is going to end up a fishing mini-game collection.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Ninja Scooter said:
how the not ever really that mighty have fallen.
Naw, remember PSO1? He gets a god-pass from me for that.

Luigiv

Skiesofwonder said:

please please please!!!
Well I did my part in making Lets Tap a success for Prope.
Bought it last week for AU$5. Prope probably lost money on that sale.

Lijik

Skiesofwonder said:

please please please!!!
Im actually a little surprised that all of their games have made it to the US so far.

Skiesofwonder

PounchEnvy said:
Sort of wish this was for 3DS.

I hear you, but Twilight Princess proved to me that even without Motion+ fishing can be amazing with the Wiimote/Nunchuck. Controls > portability/3D for me.

Edit: Wiimote in peripheral picture is motion+ but no word yet if Family Fishing actually supports it. Oh my I so wish it would!

I think this looks pretty good, as well as the other Namco game Go Vacation. The video pretty much sold me on both of these. I'm adding this to my small list of Wii games for 2011 along with Rayman Origins, Kirby and Zelda.

looks great glad this man is back to work
I don't mind a fishing game to get his company off and running.

Hope he will be able to afford WiiU development

Skiesofwonder

evilromero said:
I think this looks pretty good, as well as the other Namco game Go Vacation. The video pretty much sold me on both of these. I'm adding this to my small list of Wii games for 2011 along with Rayman Origins, Kirby and Zelda.

Indeed, Go Vacation looks awesome as well. It's basically Wii Sports combined with We Ski's free roam mountain, and that is not a bad thing.

Ra1den

Busaiku said:
Anyone who skipped out on Ivy The Kiwi? is really doing themselves a disservice.
The game was great.

If they'd just remove that damn question mark I'd give it a chance

Skiesofwonder

Busaiku said:
Anyone who skipped out on Ivy The Kiwi? is really doing themselves a disservice.
The game was great.

Well I played the DS demo and wasn't really digging it. Is the Wii version better?

maeda

What happened to Rodea? And I am still hopeful, especially after finding out that Prope worked on Wii Play Motion, that one day the studio will work with Nintendo on a bigger project.

Busaiku

Skiesofwonder said:
Well I played the DS demo and wasn't really digging it. Is the Wii version better?
Well, the gameplay isn't really different or anything.
From there it'll just be better production values (and I don't think the DS version has multiplayer).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I love fishing in the 3D Zelda games, why there aren't dedicated fishing games that expand on that style is beyond me. I especially loved it in Twilight Princess.

Anyway, this looks nice except for the characters but that's probably Namco's restriction on it, to have them match their other family friendly games like Go Vacation.

Speaking of which, they should have just made this gameplay a part of Go Vacation anyway. It would have made it an even more enticing package. This looks neat though.

I hope the free roaming aspect is strong in this one too, picking your own fishing spots etc. They've got nice environments and "shaders", if only other devs had tried as hard.

Maybe all these smaller titles will help bring in the funds and time for Naka's Rodea to grow into something special, more so than the first images and trailer indicated at least.

Looks great, I'm getting the Sega Marine Fishing vibe as well. The bright color palate is attractive as well, too much brown this gen, needs more Sega blue skies!

Cranzor

After somehow playing that AR fishing game for hours on 3DS, I've been looking for something like this. Looks great! Hopefully it gets localized.

watershed

Banned
Go Vacation looks better to me, and I know that one's coming to the US. This is what happens when you do animal crossing wrong Nintendo, I give my money to a different company, still on your platform though :(

Top Bottom