• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yumi's Odd Odyssey (Umihara Kawase) is out on Nintendo eshop for 3DS!

fek

Finally beat stage 46. Man, I failed 3 times on the way to the door after beating the crab.
Game is really good, I'm enjoying it as much as the original.

Will probably pick it up when it hits EU, though I'm considering importing a 3DS from the US for other stuff, so whatever happens first...

You YNI folks are so awfully defensive.

You wouldn't have seen that kind of reaction here if you hadn't gone out of your way to elicit it.

Voliko

Finally beat stage 46. Man, I failed 3 times on the way to the door after beating the crab.
Game is really good, I'm enjoying it as much as the original.
Yeah, I did that once. It felt so bad. That was the hardest stage for me for sure. Followed by 33.

I "beat" the game last night by getting all the endings, but I still have 2 more backpacks to go, and 1 door somewhere. I was really addicted to this game, it was very good, solid platforming all throughout. I'm not sure if I will revisit any stages to get better times though, that kind of stuff has never really been my thing. You would have to get insanely good to get great times on some of the stages. I may give survival mode a try though. I will also try to actually beat the SFC game for once.

It's weird looking at the leaderboards for some of the later levels and seeing that the majority of the list are people in this thread, ahaha. Hopefully it picks up a bit over time, but I can't really say I had particularly high expectations in the first place.

At stage 42 now with all bags and doors accounted for up to that point (to my knowledge). Maybe I'll try to finish the game today and then work on improving times...

kiryogi

Banned
It's weird looking at the leaderboards for some of the later levels and seeing that the majority of the list are people in this thread, ahaha. Hopefully it picks up a bit over time, but I can't really say I had particularly high expectations in the first place.

At stage 42 now with all bags and doors accounted for up to that point (to my knowledge). Maybe I'll try to finish the game today and then work on improving times...

NeoGAF awareness!

Yeah, I did that once. It felt so bad. That was the hardest stage for me for sure. Followed by 33.

I "beat" the game last night by getting all the endings, but I still have 2 more backpacks to go, and 1 door somewhere. I was really addicted to this game, it was very good, solid platforming all throughout. I'm not sure if I will revisit any stages to get better times though, that kind of stuff has never really been my thing. You would have to get insanely good to get great times on some of the stages. I may give survival mode a try though. I will also try to actually beat the SFC game for once.

so the game is really short ?

PD: purchasing the game gives you 50 coins in club nintendo

Parish's USGamer interview notes that programmer Sakai worked at System Sacom once! Didn't know that at all; not sure if anyone on this forum's ever okayed Euphory, but I know it has an excellent soundtrack.

These games are all short, but endlessly replayable in that arcade way.

crab-based nightmares for the foreseeable future

31 second guy if you're here you can go straight to hell

edit: aaaand 100%. total time about 10 hrs. good stuff

now onto the real game!

nmanma

A bit expensive, especially on the Canadian eShop, but bought it anyway.

What I like the most so far is that with practice you can pull really crazy stuff, now that I'm revisiting old levels to get my missing backpacks I can reach even the ones that two days ago I thought were impossible for me. Also, I like how most levels are quite open in how you can tackle them, I can see myself replaying this for a long time trying new ways to reach the exit, and see how far I can get in survival mode

On the topic of leaderboards, this is from stage 49:
Ng80kAE.jpg
Even if it was with the time traveling girl I'm happy to be number one. First time I've ever been first on a leaderboard, actually

A bit expensive, especially on the Canadian eShop, but bought it anyway.

What I like the most so far is that with practice you can pull really crazy stuff, now that I'm revisiting old levels to get my missing backpacks I can reach even the ones that two days ago I thought were impossible for me. Also, I like how most levels are quite open in how you can tackle them, I can see myself replaying this for a long time trying new ways to reach the exit, and see how far I can get in survival mode

On the topic of leaderboards, this is from stage 49:

Even if it was with the time traveling girl I'm happy to be number one. First time I've ever been first on a leaderboard, actually

how many people in the stage 1 leaderboard?

Voliko

so the game is really short ?

PD: purchasing the game gives you 50 coins in club nintendo
The in game clock says 15 hours for me. Subtract a couple of hours of trying to get some good stage completion times on the way there, and maybe add a couple if this is your first exposure to the series. As mentioned though, it is very replayable. I could see people putting in a ton of hours trying to get good completion times.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Got a 20 minute time in stage 1 and it didnt rank me.
Seems like you need a max time of 3 minutes for that stage. Let's try that.

You wouldn't have seen that kind of reaction here if you hadn't gone out of your way to elicit it.

For real.

It's a shame that a game as fun as New Island is getting dumped on everywhere. And you can't say anything in its favour or you're being "awfully defensive", which is a complete conversation killer that does nothing but encourage dogpiling and cliquey behaviour.

On topic, I'll probably get this on sale sometime. I'm not paying $30 for Umihara Kawase.

Pikma

Banned
So I bought a $35 eShop card yesterday specifically to get this game. Arrived home, took a penny from my bag and tried to scratch it off... I just couldn't peel it off, the code got fucking destroyed before I could ever reach it, so I'll have to go for a refund tomorrow. This game is cursed -_-
(Still getting it tho!)

Maybe the millions of 3DS users that haven't bought it yet are in the same situation as me, let's not make up any conclusions yet. :p

Camjo-Z

I started up the game and decided to try the crab boss again, here is how it went:

>first box of oranges hit

"sweet"

>second box of oranges hit

"cool"

>third box of oranges hit

"WAIT A SECOND I'VE NEVER EVEN GOTTEN TO THE SECOND BOX BEFORE HOLY SHI"

*dead*

also I hope there is just a ranking glitch or something because if there are seriously sub-100 sales then chances of future games coming here are dire

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I started up the game and decided to try the crab boss again, here is how it went:

"sweet"

"cool"

*dead*

also I hope there is just a ranking glitch or something because if there are seriously sub-100 sales then chances of future games coming here are dire

I mean there could be people who don't have wireless on right? I don't usually only turn it on to buy games.

Voliko

"sweet"

"cool"

*dead*

I have no doubt that the sales are dire, sub 100 or not, but I wouldn't have too much of a problem of any potential future games not coming if it wasn't for region locking. So dumb

Vandole

Not to encourage anything other than supporting niche titles like this at full price, but for those balking at the $30 price tag you probably won't need to wait too long for a discount. Natsume is doing the publishing and they're pretty quick to put games on sale.

t3nmilez

Man, I feel like a total noob or something. I beat the "easy" path and have been trying to get to the alternate exits on the two stages, but can't do so. I can see the doors and can find the right path, but I don't know how to get on a platform when I'm hanging below it. Are there any guides on how to reach the different exits?

Mzo

Swinging left and right doesn't provide enough momentum. Swing away from where you want to go and reel in to speed up Yumi's swing.

rjc571

Banned
I mean there could be people who don't have wireless on right? I don't usually only turn it on to buy games.

I'm pretty sure your scores for a stage only get uploaded when you actually visit that stage's leaderboard. At least that's how every Nintendo WFC game with leaderboards that I've played has worked.

rpmurphy

Man, I feel like a total noob or something. I beat the "easy" path and have been trying to get to the alternate exits on the two stages, but can't do so. I can see the doors and can find the right path, but I don't know how to get on a platform when I'm hanging below it. Are there any guides on how to reach the different exits?
There are a few tricks that are shown in the in-game gallery, but I recommend watching some of these technique videos: http://umi.agatsuma-games.jp/technique/

- Mastering the pendulum swing is important. Contracting in and loosening the line in tempo, letting go at the right timing are the most important aspects to the game.
- If you jump after you throw the line, it will reach up farther.
- You might want to try the Classic control mode, which gives you L and R buttons for hooking up diagonally.

JEKKI

what makes me happy?

the music to stages 10 and 11!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wavBP2mAlOE

I don't have much experience with this series as I hope,

but when I did dabble in it on PSP this song always stuck out,

and it's so great getting to hear it again in this game!!!

what makes me unhappy?

when you get last place in s stage's ranking,

and still end up in the top 20:

d3pK2Zv.jpg

I went back and got a better time, but still...

this game is just too good, I'm having so much fun and really wish more ppl would too!!!

kiryogi

Banned
what makes me happy?

the music to stages 10 and 11!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wavBP2mAlOE

I don't have much experience with this series as I hope,

but when I did dabble in it on PSP this song always stuck out,

and it's so great getting to hear it again in this game!!!

what makes me unhappy?

when you get last place in s stage's ranking,

and still end up in the top 20:

d3pK2Zv.jpg

I went back and got a better time, but still...

this game is just too good, I'm having so much fun and really wish more ppl would too!!!

And it really is like composed of mostly GAFers on the list. . .

Ermac

Blah I want this, but $30 is too high for me right now. Someone please convince me to spend my money on it.

kiryogi

Banned
Blah I want this, but $30 is too high for me right now. Someone please convince me to spend my money on it.

Watch the Retro Game Master video I posted in the OP and check out the Hardcore gaming 101 article :eek: Do you like Bionic Commando and challenging platforming with japanesey? This is the game for you!

CloakBass

Really enjoyed the Super Famicom version, but yeah, this is a lot of green to ask for a download-only title. Really hope purchases pickup once the game goes on sale.

Ermac

Watch the Retro Game Master video I posted in the OP and check out the Hardcore gaming 101 article :eek: Do you like Bionic Commando and challenging platforming with japanesey? This is the game for you!

The video was hilarious lol. That said I think I'll wait till BB has another sale on cards. I already spent $30 on SK which I felt was a little overpriced too.

rpmurphy

I can't figure out how to get to the secret door in 7 and I'm assuming 5 as well.
The second door for Stage 5 is
at the top left corner of the map. You want to climb your way up there.

To get to the second door on Stage 7 (it is visible),
you want to run across the ice to the backpack, climb up, and swing back over to the door on the left side.

For me, I'm stumped on how to get the backpack in Stage 22...

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The second door for Stage 5 is
at the top left corner of the map. You want to climb your way up there.

To get to the second door on Stage 7 (it is visible),
you want to run across the ice to the backpack, climb up, and swing back over to the door on the left side.

For me, I'm stumped on how to get the backpack in Stage 22...

Thanks! Got 5 but still have a question on 7.

Should I be able to just make the jump across the second gap where the backpack is? She seems to lose all her momentum after the first jump.

Edit: I think I got it.

Top Bottom