• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yumi's Odd Odyssey (Umihara Kawase) is out on Nintendo eshop for 3DS!

kiryogi

Banned
lUBur_5cRaAiNnq_dj6vSzlmhVQxFMCi.png

I figured it needed it's own topic, and that there's not much going on front page otherwise for it. After 20 long years, North America finally gets Umihara Kawase! This is the platformer of March! . . . Unlike Yoshi's New Island.

Price: 29.99

Region: North America

Game Center CX/Retro Game Master episode of the original Umihara Kawase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NgJwdQPSQ0

Awesome Hardcore Gaming 101 article on Umihara Kawase:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/umihara/umihara.htm

Official Eshop entry @ Nintendo:
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/jZKUOWrTvCKHTZcrYKLmNUndvs37Xbmz

QR Code!
vi63QkHi70Im-INJqf0bf0YibrsP4zb2.jpg

I wonder if Giant Bomb will ignore this eShop release like they normally do, because I'd really appreciate a quick look.
$30 may seem steep, but chances are good you would have to pay at least double that for a used copy of the earlier versions on eBay.

Awwwww yiiiisssssss. Closest ill get to the psp version I never got. Priced too high for me though. Ill wait till the next club Nintendo year starts.

VLiberty

I tried a demo of the psp gaame and it didn't click on me at all, but this was some years ago.

However the art style and the launch pricce are enough to make me holding off, at least at launch

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I tried a demo of the psp gaame and it didn't click on me at all, but this was some years ago.

However the art style and the launch pricce are enough to make me holding off, at least at launch

PSP version is apparently a really terrible port with completely messed up physics so maybe trying another release would be better to gauge your interest.

takoyaki

It's a great game. I played through the Japanese version last summer and the art/sound give you a great "summer in Japan" vibe. The game has some extreme difficulty spikes. That's partly due to the game having a branching path structure. If you get the game, do some training in the earlier stages, get used to the physics of the rope, look up some of the special techniques, and most importantly, adjust the control scheme. There are many ways to adjust the controls, and I thought that it's a lot easier to control Yumi with the D-Pad, while hooking is mapped to R1 and jumping to A/B.

Good luck GAF, some levels in this game where like "Ornstein+Smough" for me ;-)

Camjo-Z

I like the change to the game structure they made, going through everything in one run is fun (and I'm glad there's still an option to do that once you've beaten the game) but having infinite lives lets me actually have a chance at getting through some of these harder stages.

I also like that the backpacks are now collectibles instead of lives, really gives you a reason to go after them. And the costumes are awesome too, I love how Seasonal and Original Yumi change the music to the songs from the original game and Shun.

The only thing I don't like are the bosses, they were already pretty dumb in the original games but they feel even more annoying and out of place here. I'm still trying to figure out how to get that tadpole to kill himself without killing me in the process.

On a side note, does anyone know how to get to the alternate exit on stage 7? Can't figure that one out either!

On a side note, does anyone know how to get to the alternate exit on stage 7? Can't figure that one out either!

This should help

Though I generally have better luck grappling the top platform by climbing onto the far right platform, jumping, and then slowing down time to make sure I reach it.

Also, I find the last swing easier if you edge your way over and hook onto the left side of the top platform, and swing from there.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh how I wish I could get this, but $30 is just way out of my price range for a digital only game, especially with my tight budget & other games coming out next month. It sounds like something I'd enjoy (Bionic Commando with a bit more physics thrown in? Count me in), but for the time being, I'll wait until it's $20 or so.

I wonder if this does well, we could see the original Super Famicom version on the Virtual Console as an Import. Wouldn't mind seeing imported games on the Wii U VC.

kiryogi

Banned
Oh how I wish I could get this, but $30 is just way out of my price range for a digital only game, especially with my tight budget & other games coming out next month. It sounds like something I'd enjoy (Bionic Commando with a bit more physics thrown in? Count me in), but for the time being, I'll wait until it's $20 or so.

I wonder if this does well, we could see the original Super Famicom version on the Virtual Console as an Import. Wouldn't mind seeing imported games on the Wii U VC.

Not really sure if Natsume does sales. . . or this is even the kind of title you should be encouraging this kind of behavior. Sega has it right with how they're treating Miku. Niche titles should not be subject to value pricing considering the audience.

Glad the series is finally available in the west.

We should just be grateful this finally made it here, and not whine about the pricing for someone small like Natsume.

I know I could google this, but you guys are so hyped I feel like it would be better to ask you: what's the deal with the Umihara Kawase franchise?

I had never heard about it before, and the screenshots didn't really pick my interest, but GAF loves this game so much that I'm considering buying it. Why do you like this so much? What makes this franchise so special?

Thanks!

takoyaki

I know I could google this, but you guys are so hyped I feel like it would be better to ask you: what's the deal with the Umihara Kawase franchise?

I had never heard about it before, and the screenshots didn't really pick my interest, but GAF loves this game so much that I'm considering buying it. Why do you like this so much? What makes this franchise so special?

Thanks!

It's a fun, challenging, old-school platformer that plays a bit like Bionic Commando. If you like Gamecenter CX/Retro Game Master, watch the Umihara Kawase episode on Youtube. I think a lot of people heard of the franchise because of this very fun episode. The 3DS game is also the first one to be released outside of Japan.

kiryogi

Banned
It's a fun, challenging, old-school platformer that plays a bit like Bionic Commando. If you like Gamecenter CX/Retro Game Master, watch the Umihara Kawase episode on Youtube. I think a lot of people heard of the franchise because of this very fun episode. The 3DS game is also the first one to be released outside of Japan.

Also back in the date it was a massive sought after gem for importers before all these rereleases. . . Kawase PSone was easily 3 digits. XD random tidbit

rjc571

Banned
I also like that the backpacks are now collectibles instead of lives, really gives you a reason to go after them. And the costumes are awesome too, I love how Seasonal and Original Yumi change the music to the songs from the original game and Shun.

Oh wow, I completed the Japanese version 100% but I never realized that the alternate costumes give you music from the original games! Thanks!

Tohsaka

I wish this had come out earlier in the year. My backlog continues to grow (going to pick up Infamous in a bit) and I already have three 3DS games I need to play. I definitely intend to buy this, it just won't be right now unfortunately.

Koppai

I wish this had come out earlier in the year. My backlog continues to grow (going to pick up Infamous in a bit) and I already have three 3DS games I need to play. I definitely intend to buy this, it just won't be right now unfortunately.

Dude I know how you feel...I've been going nuts lately, I just bought all of these recently.

PlayStation Vita system
Hatsune Miku Project Diva f
J-Stars Victory VS (PS3 JP)
Drakengard 3
Opoona
Project Zero 2 (Wii PAL)
PokePark 2
The Last Story
Chibi Robo
Learn with Pokémon: Typing Adventure! (bought from Amazon UK, $33 )
Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest (paid $65 on eBay! o_O)
Persona 4 Arena
Injustice Gods Among Us

I'm gonna need to stop buying games for a while, <_<; DAMN YOU PAYPAL BILL ME LATER CREDIT <_>

Yumi is gonna have to wait.

Camjo-Z

My thoughts exactly. I want to be interested in the game but that character design is drawing me away from it. Looks like a cheap doujinshi game :/

The actual in-game character models are about as far from the artwork as you could imagine.

Umihara-Kawase-1.jpg

Lijik

Price means i wont buy this right away, but I look forward to playing it soon
I forgot this was coming out, I would have held off on Yoshi's New Island and got this instead if I remembered haha

Koren

PSP version is apparently a really terrible port with completely messed up physics so maybe trying another release would be better to gauge your interest.
If the 3DS version has the quality of the SNES game, and is available in EU, I'm REALLY interested, and I'll make an exception on my no-digital rule.

The original cart on SNES (especially mint) is insanely expensive (and quite rare). It's one of the few game I really miss in my SNES collection (I borrowed it from a friend years ago, but never found one at a non-insane price)

Mr-Joker

Banned
I am really hoping that the price is lower in the European release because I am not paying 29.99 for a digital only title.

Really, even a Yumi thread had to shit on Yoshi? You guys are like broken records.

Agreed, Yoshi New Island isn't even that bad so I wonder how many of them have actually played the game.

kiryogi

Banned
I am really hoping that the price is lower in the European release because I am not paying 29.99 for a digital only title.

Agreed, Yoshi New Island isn't even that bad so I wonder how many of them have actually played the game.

Want a picture of my 3DS? It's the first game in a long time that I find it to be an actual chore to pick up and play. And that's going into it with super low expectations. I honestly could say it's because maybe I've been playing back to back triple A platformers from Mario 3D world to DKCTF, but YNI left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

I digress again regarding pricing. One, Natsume is small, two, it was either digital or no release. Honestly folks.

Yasumi

Banned
Picked it up today, kind of stung being digital only + the Canadian price. Was kind of hoping for some narrative stuff, since it has so many characters compared to previous Umiharas. Guess I'll think up a personal fanfic or something, but I'm enjoying it immensely. Just beat level 9, died 31 times.

30 USD seems a bit pricey for a series I've never heard about until today, but that deliciously brutal and technical gameplay looks to right up my alley.

fek

Awesome. I actually put the money to buy this one back in january when it was supposed to be released and it was sitting on my eshop wallet since then. Gonna buy and download it right now.

Does anyone use the time stop ability or is that considered a crutch?

I don't really think it is a very big help most of the time, and both special abilities are detrimental to getting good times anyways.

$30 is well worth it, I've been having a great time with the game. The levels are very well designed, a lot of thought was put into them. The music is ace as well, the remixed old tunes are a blast of nostalgia. Does anyone know how to access the jukebox though? I still have no idea...

Start at the Level Select > Gallery > Press L to go to jukebox

Voliko

$30 is well worth it, I've been having a great time with the game. The levels are very well designed, a lot of thought was put into them. The music is ace as well, the remixed old tunes are a blast of nostalgia. Does anyone know how to access the jukebox though? I still have no idea... I am glad that there is no story whatsoever, pretty refreshing to see in this day and age. Yumi's Odd Odyssey keeps it oldschool.

1emons

Neo Member
I don't really think it is a very big help most of the time, and both special abilities are detrimental to getting good times anyways.

Thanks, I was just wondering if I should start using it or not.

shotgun fish are pretty messed up

$30 is well worth it, I've been having a great time with the game. The levels are very well designed, a lot of thought was put into them. The music is ace as well, the remixed old tunes are a blast of nostalgia. Does anyone know how to access the jukebox though? I still have no idea...

Click the menu icon on the bottom right of the stage select screen and scroll over to the gallery option using the d-pad.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Glad the series is finally available in the west.

Last month I went to look for the DS compilation of the SFC/PSX games and fuck me, $100 :(

Dunno how the hell did I miss the combo when it released back then, goddamn
I hate the new gfx of this episode :/

$30 is not the problem. But I do miss a retail release. Hopefully it comes over in EU, also at retail like a couple of games before

Voliko

I hate the new gfx of this episode :/

Agreed, I am always against cheap 3D- sprites would have looked a lot better. The gameplay is intact though, so it's not a huge deal for this kind of game imo.

Start at the Level Select > Gallery > Press L to go to jukebox
Click the menu icon on the bottom right of the stage select screen and scroll over to the gallery option using the d-pad.
Thanks! You have to press L from within the gallery, I didn't know that. I love the tunes in this series, really upbeat.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I still think the price on this game is insanely stupid, but I have to support a good thing when it comes stateside.

BjTCxhLCMAARct6.jpg

Not sure when I'll actually play it because I'm knee-deep in like 50 other games, but uh... I did my part. I'm sure the game will be fantastic.

Curious to see how well this thing actually ends up doing.

Voliko

Stage 24 is the first time I'm having significant trouble so far, aside from finally getting the backpacks in 29. The child characters are pretty nice for practicing tricky parts an extra time with their checkpoint power. Hopefully the game is starting to ramp up the difficulty!

Top Bottom