• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yves Guillemot: "Vita Not Dead Yet AC:Liberation sell 600k"

More information on our current most hated website:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/acii...t-argues-assassin-s-creed-4-announced/0110630

The PlayStation Vita remains a viable platform for publishers, Ubisoft has argued.

Sony lowered its sales expectation for the machine for the fourth time earlier this week, leading many to write it off as a commercial disaster.

But Ubisoft says that there is money to be made with the right product, as 600,000 unit sales of Assassin’s Creed III on the machine proves.

"We wouldn't discount PS Vita,” the publisher told investors. “If you have the right product at the right quality it could work.”

Ubisoft also unsurprisingly confirmed a new instalment in the Assassin’s Creed series this year following record-breaking sales of Assassin’s Creed III, which to date has shifted 12m units.

Interestingly, the company has chosen not to mine the setting and assets of ACIII for the new title, having confirmed that it will take place in a new timeframe and feature a new character.

EDIT: I've not followed the path of ACIII at all, it's a different game to the console version? But basically the same type of game? If that's the case, no surprise it's sold well really.

Shtof

That would mean around 1 out of 6 Vita owners bought the game. Pretty awesome attach rate.

Perkel

Banned
That would mean around 1 out of 6 Vita owners bought the game. Pretty awesome attach rate.

And that is what you get when you put non port game.

Why would i buy NFS MW if i have better PS3 version ? More handheld only games is what vita needs.

Joni

That is amazing, so we can safely conclude that Assassin's Creed III Liberation is the best selling Vita game, right? I hope Ubisoft Sofia can get another chance for Assassin's Creed Vita, it played great but there are certainly some improvements possible.

Hanmik

I'm going to assume they're including the bundle sales as well.

they are.. it was discussed yesterday in this thread..

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512154

Q: Vita Digital Downloads?
A: 15-20%, more important in US than EU.

Q: After your heavy support for Vita, 3DS, Wii U - are you rethinking SKU counts for hardware launches?
A: We have always been early on new consoles. Sometimes it works, sometimes less effective. With new console launch, it's interesting for us, to make them shine on the market. It's a strategy to push our brand and to create new IPs. You have to look at this strategy in the short term and long term. Regarding Vita, last FY, we did pretty well on Assassin's Creed, close to 600k units - pretty happy with figure. I wouldn't discount PSVita, right quality, it might work.

That is amazing, so we can safely conclude that Assassin's Creed III Liberation is the best selling Vita game, right? I hope Ubisoft Sofia can get another chance for Assassin's Creed Vita, it played great but there are certainly some improvements possible.

Maybe Uncharted did more?

SmokyDave

I believe they said 15-20% were digital sales too.

And that is what you get when you put non port game.

Why would i buy NFS MW if i have better PS3 version ? More handheld only games is what vita needs.

Because it's portable. Most Wanted is selling (relatively) well from what I can tell.

In USA it's behind Uncharted and Call of Duty.

Toki767

Judging from PS Blog top seller lists, AC: Liberation is selling better than Black Ops Declassified in the US, while the opposite is true in EU.

nikatapi

One of the first games i want to get when i buy a Vita, these numbers sound very good.
See that publishers?When you put out good games people buy them.

Given that they're shipped numbers (I assume), it was the mosy hyped game for the platform, and it was in bundles, well, I'm expecting to see it ported somewhere else in a year or so.

Sold? I thought these were shipped numbers when I seen it yesterday. Anyway, yeah, great news for Vita!

I took it more as good news for people who want devs and publishers to know that a game staring a chocolate woman can also be successful ... but if it's good news for Viti than yay! Maybe it will do well enough to get some games that with convince me to buy one :]

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Shipped ?

edit: i guess
Update: Ubisoft has confirmed with us that Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation has shipped nearly 600,000 units. For clarification, the term "sell-in" refers to units shipped to retailers, while the term "sell-through" refers to units purchased from retailers by customers. Thus, Ubisoft (or anyone else, for that matter) can say units have been "sold" when referring to either statistic.

Great, so the game to get reasonable sales is...Assassins Creed. Yuck. How's Gravity Rush doing?

They put a lot of effort into developing Assassins Creed. This post confuses me, with this game being the success that it has been it will hopefully lead the way for more games (Vita/handheld exclusives or even day 1 Vita with 360/PS3 etc) which can only be a good thing.

Glad to see that.

Also, Activision made $18m this quarter and $23m this whole year on Vita. About this - I don't really know if its good or bad, but money are money.

Glad to see that.

Also, Activision made $18m this quarter and $23m this whole year on Vita. About this - I don't really know if its good or bad, but money are money.

What did they release on Vita except for COD? I can't personally think of anything else. Based on the development of COD probably means a whole lot of profit.

What did they release on Vita except for COD? I can't personally think of anything else. Based on the development of COD probably means a whole lot of profit.

Just COD.

Since Activision probably spent next to nothing developing it (since Sony had to get a b-team on it and market it (lol) themselves), I'd say they're pretty happy with the figures.

Jackano

But that's because vita is doomed that ACL succeeded.
I mean, if there was many other games on vita, they will have each a smaller part of sales despite driving a larger userbase, just like on others consoles.
When ACL was released, it was the first good (true or false, it's not the debate) vita game in months. Vita owners better not miss this one to feed their handheld.

FGMPR

Banned
Glad to see it. I don't exactly expect a rush of big budget games from third parties, but at least this proves the right kind of product is viable.

Mael

And the theory is indeed sound :
Make a good game and people will come buy it.
I bet it did wonder for Vita too.

It's too bad it's looking like the only game of its kind to be released on the platform,
what do people that liked AC on Vita will get when they want more?

Bittercup

EDIT: I've not followed the path of ACIII at all, it's a different game to the console version? But basically the same type of game? If that's the case, no surprise it's sold well really.
Yes, it's an independent entry in the series. Basically the same gameplay as the main titles but with different main character and story. Just with less budget and therefore somewhat rough.

Glad to hear it sold well :)

Considering that's one of the best selling games and the Vita has been out for over a year in Japan, that's pretty bad.

Has a single game even broken a million yet?

UberTag

If you had to put a bullet to a Western third-party publisher's head and order them to support one of either the WiiU, 3DS or Vita with software, I wonder which platform they would choose. Bearing in mind, of course, that COD Declassified and AC3 Liberation may well have sold through more product to retailers and digitally than any western third-party title not named Angry Birds.

Top Bottom