• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yves Guillemot: "Vita Not Dead Yet AC:Liberation sell 600k"

SmokyDave

And that was a DS game at first (and a launch 3DS game, you know stuffs nobody wanted)
Pfffft. GR is the best 3rd party game on the platform.

If you had to put a bullet to a Western third-party publisher's head and order them to support one of either the WiiU, 3DS or Vita with software, I wonder which platform they would choose.

That situation brings a whole new meaning to 'Vita = Life'.

Hanmik

so 600k for November/December/January... or just November /december..?

are there any black friday numbers for the AC:L-Vita pack..?

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
All of Ubisoft's Wii U titles are now being ported to Vita.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
And that is what you get when you put non port game.

Why would i buy NFS MW if i have better PS3 version ? More handheld only games is what vita needs.

Because they share SP and a common origin account and I can enjoy playing on the go?

Personally I'd have jumped at a WiiU version to have off screen play and not then need a portable version.

Drek

Probably shipped, but still good nonetheless

Its far enough from release date for Ubisoft to have a good idea how stuffed the channel is. If they're happy with these numbers it's because they've moved enough to know they won't be subsidizing discounts much at all.

But that's because vita is doomed that ACL succeeded.
I mean, if there was many other games on vita, they will have each a smaller part of sales despite driving a larger userbase, just like on others consoles.
When ACL was released, it was the first good (true or false, it's not the debate) vita game in months. Vita owners better not miss this one to feed their handheld.
So let me get this straight:

The Vita is doomed because a 3rd party sold well, as you're claiming that everyone saw it as the only good game released in months, but you don't want to debate the merits of that claim despite it not even being the best selling game in every region over the holidays?

That's a pretty irrational way to draw a conclusion.

Aside from Ghost Recon, everything else are low-grade ports.
Funny enough, Ghost Recon was also made by Ubisoft Sofia. It'll be interesting to see what platform they work on next.

And the theory is indeed sound :
Make a good game and people will come buy it.
I bet it did wonder for Vita too.

It's too bad it's looking like the only game of its kind to be released on the platform,
what do people that liked AC on Vita will get when they want more?
What do you mean by only game of it's kind? Sony has a pretty strong first party lineup for 2013 and smaller 3rd parties are putting out a nice list as well. If Sony has secured any kind of major 3rd party IP support at all to be unveiled at GDC, E3, or TGS the lineup will look very good.

People actually going out of their way to shit on nice numbers because a Vita game did well?

Colour me shocked.

Well done, Ubisoft - I still haven't purchased it but I will for sure.

Cha

Thats a good number.
I quite enjoyed Liberation. Hope this means that we get another AC for Vita. Needs to be more optimised for the system though. Also, I think that they should stick to having strong female leads. Aveline was a great character. Too bad she was involved in such a "meh" plot.

People actually going out of their way to shit on nice numbers because a Vita game did well?

Colour me shocked.

They are nice numbers of Vita standards, but being the main system seller of the holiday season (along with CoD), and being the third best selling game on your system with only 600k sales isn't going to keep the Vita alive.

If this first year of Vita has taught Sony anything, it's that no one wants a handheld to buy watered down handheld versions of console games. I'm hoping 2013 means some games NOT built around being a "console experience in your pocket!" That's the reason why Nintendo is so successful with their handhelds.

NSMB2, MK7, MH3 and to a degree M3DLand. All console experiences in your pocket.

Not. At. All.

Have you played these games? They are completely built around the idea of "hey, lets just do one race," or "hey lets just do one level." They are portable games first a foremost that you can jump into for a quick play and leave feeling satisfied when you have finished a level or race or whatever.

They are nice numbers of Vita standards, but being the main system seller of the holiday season (along with CoD), and being the third best selling game on your system with only 600k sales isn't going to keep the Vita alive.

If this first year of Vita has taught Sony anything, it's that no one wants a handheld to buy watered down handheld versions of console games. I'm hoping 2013 means some games NOT built around being a "console experience in your pocket!" That's the reason why Nintendo is so successful with their handhelds.

nice sales is nice sales.

I like how you decide to say shit like 600k sales isnt going to keep vita alive which just demonstrates your lame ass agenda.

UberTag

Colour me shocked.

Vita is a noose around the neck of Sony's gaming division. Haven't you heard?
5 new baby PS4 IPs are slaughtered for every day that the Vita remains on shelves.

Hearing that AC3 Liberation moved a lot of units isn't what these naysayers want to hear.

They also don't want to be told that other "console-lite" titles like COD and Uncharted have moved even more copies because they keep saying that people don't want to play variations of console games on a portable system.

And Nintendo fans don't want to hear about Western third-party publishers having more success on a Sony portable platform with a fraction of the install base of the 3DS.

Some console experience work great in your pocket, too. Need For Speed's open world racing is perfect for short bursts of fun gameplay. Takes a second to wake your Vita and be back on the road. You can just tool around the city, or jump to a race. Fantastic game to have "on the go" despite being a "console experience".

nice sales is nice sales.

I like how you decide to say shit like 600k sales isnt going to keep vita alive which just demonstrates your lame ass agenda.

600k sales isn't going to keep the Vita alive when it's your THIRD BEST SELLING GAME, and your second and first best selling games haven't sold that much better.

SmokyDave

Not. At. All.

Have you played these games? They are completely built around the idea of "hey, lets just do one race," or "hey lets just do one level." They are portable games first a foremost that you can jump into for a quick play and leave feeling satisfied when you have finished a level or race or whatever.

Played all of 'em with the exception of MH (because, fuck MH). They're console experiences in your pocket. Simple as.

Explain to me how NSMBU differs from NSMB2. Then do the same for MK7 & MK Wii.

Modern sleep modes render this entire discussion moot regardless.

Some console experience work great in your pocket, too. Need For Speed's open world racing is perfect for short bursts of fun gameplay. Takes a second to wake your Vita and be back on the road. You can just tool around the city, or jump to a race. Fantastic game to have "on the go" despite being a "console experience".

Yup, I have the PS3 & Vita versions and I've put way more time into the Vita because, oddly, it feels like a better fit.

Not. At. All.

Yes they are console games.

AC: Liberation and Virtue's last Reward came with my white PS Vita. Played Liberation for a couple of hours and thought it was boring. So call me surprised that it sold so well.

(Traded it in to GameStop and got Persona 4 Golden instead)

Then why are the Vita's best selling games console-like games? Wouldn't something like Mutant Blobs Attack sell better than AC if your theory was true?

javac

NSMB2, MK7, MH3 and to a degree M3DLand. All console experiences in your pocket.

These are console experiences in your pocket, but I guess that whether you play these games on a home console or handheld, these games are perfect for picking up and playing and quickly turning it off again. No cut scenes and zero or near to no narrative also helps.

Games like NFS:MW benefit from this. However even 3DS has console type game, Resident Evil for one. And yup, being able to put your console in sleep mode helps! There is no excuse especially since even the 3DS is powerful enough to deliver satisfying home console experiences. To be honest however, I never play games outside of the house, even in someone else's house like a family members. I cant concentrate especially when someone's looking over your shoulder lol.

I guess if you look at the sales of handheld games, bar a few exceptions, most best selling games on portables are games that have no story/narrative etc. Animal crossing, NSMB, MK. Games that you can easily pick and play but at the same time get lost in for hours. Am I making sense :S

Xater

So if it's still viable what other games do they have coming out for it?

I can't think of a single one from the top of my head.

Creed Liberation was a more authentic Creed experience than creed 3.
i liked the persona system and i liked the fact that i had to find teh secrets to get the real ending.

The multiplayer sucked but it was still a good game.

So i'm glad that it sold. Give me a liberation 2 or similar Ubisoft !

I can't think of a single one from the top of my head.
There was a leaked Ghost Recon spin-off around the same time as the Liberation leak, but we haven't heard anything at all so it doesn't look good for that.

Drek

Are you referring to Ubi in particular? Because they only have three games announced for 2013 at this point (Splinter Cell Blacklist, Rainbow 6, and Rayman Legends). I'd imagine they'll fill out their lineup across all systems at GDC and E3.

Shoyz

WTF. They share the exact same gameplay mechanics as their console iterations.

I'd call those (perhaps minus MH) handheld experiences on the console. You're certainly not playing Mario Galaxy on your 3DS, you're not getting a 'console' experience.

Frillen

Liberation and the last two main AC games have been disappointments to me. And when was 600k great? You know a system is selling horrible when a game sells 600k and it's looked upon as something good.

Bumhead

Banned
We will probably get an idea of what Ubisoft really thinks about these numbers when we either get or don't get another Assassins Creed Vita game this year.

DaBoss

Is it said how well the bundle did? I would think that the bundle had a role in this with it's good price, and a game that is a system seller to many it seems.

holycrap? That's great for a downport.

It's not a downport. It is an exclusive Assassin's Creed. I read good things about it.

Those 2 I disagree with. NSMB2 has shorter levels due to it's portable nature. SM3DLand I think you know about. MK7 and MH3 I agree, though.

Actually I think Activision didn't even spend anything on the game. Wasn't actually developed through Sony at the last moment?
Some are assuming that given that Nihilistic had previously worked on several games for Sony. They were an independent company though, and I don't see any evidence of Sony's involvement beyond having a marketing deal in place for the release. Maybe Sony suggested Nihilistic for the job after Activision reportedly failed to develop the game internally (rumors say at Vicarious Visions). But Activision needed a shippable product in place to fulfill their part of the deal, and at that point Nihilistic, being the only company with a working FPS engine for the Vita, would probably have been the only ones capable of delivering on time (on a sane budget at least).

Played all of 'em with the exception of MH (because, fuck MH). They're console experiences in your pocket. Simple as.

Explain to me how NSMBU differs from NSMB2. Then do the same for MK7 & MK Wii.

Modern sleep modes render this entire discussion moot regardless.

Indeed, it's the other way around: it's NSMB U an handehel experience on home console, not NSMB2 an home console experience on handheld. The idea of a revival of 2D Mario came for handheld to begin with.

Toki767

I don't think people realize probably how little the game cost Ubisoft to make. It's not like they had even half the team it took to make AC3 let alone the same amount of time. 600,000 sold could easily be profitable for Ubisoft.

jgmo870

Banned
They are portable games first a foremost that you can jump into for a quick play and leave feeling satisfied when you have finished a level or race or whatever.

Uh... no. 3D Land is the premature ejaculator of video games. Nothing in that game was satisfying because all of the levels ended so goddamn fast.

Top Bottom